Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Cherilynn64
    Cherilynn64 Member Posts: 156
    edited February 2012

Hi everyone!

Does anyone else do Jazzercise? I have been for nearly 2 years. My question is how long after lumpectomy and radiation did you return to class and also how long was it till you started using weights? 

I had the SAVI implant internal radiation for 5 days, so the radiation oncologist post-care advice was only lower body workout for my class for 6 weeks and no hand weights for 6 weeks. My surgery was 1/20/12 and I has the radition the first weeks of Feb (done Feb 9). The device was removed that day. I went back to jazzercise this past Monday and Wednesday and used a small 3 lb weight in my right hand and none in my left (surgery side). But after both classes, I was hurting in the breast surgery/radiation catheter area through the next day. I was at work today and had to put ice on my left breast area. It's better now (I work full time but have declined overtime).

I am not going back Friday but waiting till Saturday class. I am going to not use any weight in my right arm this time, and I'm going to try to not make any movements with my arms while exercising/dancing, but that's hard to do! But I'll try...only for 6 weeks. But I wanted to see if anyone else does this exercise and what your experiences were with the classes after your surgery/radiation. Thanks! 

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited February 2012

Mary Louise sorry about losing your bunny, our pets have our hearts and our hearts break when we lose them. Kim bake the Red Velvet and the Carrot, cut them in half and send half of each to Ruth and me. Boy I can't remember about Picasa but I think you have to create an album and then cut and paste from the album. Spring are you doing the jumping jacks in private or just busting a move at your desk? Mary & Misswim I read the two BL contestants who caused the walk off have been dumped from the show Conda and Kim you think? Welcome Cherilynn, I think I went back to classes 6 weeks after my mastecomy I was doing Step and the movements are quite similar to Jazzercize.  I didn't have great range of motion and I remember for a while I kept my right hand on my hip and I waited for about 3 months before I attemped any weight training. Tonight I did an RPM class and then undid all the good by having Mexican for dinnerTongue out

• Cherilynn64
    edited February 2012

Thank you HBCheryl (my full name is Cheryl btw :-)  ) - I think I just need to chill on the upper arms part and not move them around so much like I've never had surgery/radiation. I feel so much better since this ordeal started that I just went, oh, I'm good now, back to normal routine....and it's too soon. So I am going to keep going 3 days a week is all for the next month or so and keep it mostly lower body like they suggested. I'm glad to hear your exercise is now in full motion, and the mexican food was warranted! Hope you enjoyed it!!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited February 2012

Mary Louise - I'm so sorry about your bunny.  When I worked at the animal shelter we had a resident bunny who lived in my office.  She was a sweetie - litter box trained and everything. 

All the talk of homemade cakes sounds yummy - I think I've gained a pound just by thinking about them!

40 minutes walk last evening - 20 minutes with Mikey, then 20 minutes down to the local Mexican restaurant - Cheryl - if only we'd known that we were having a Mexican dinner together last night! Tongue out

30 minutes weights/core this morning, plus 15 minutes Lebeds.  

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2012

Dear Mary Louise, so sorry about your bunny, Welcome back, Ruth and again congrats on 5 yearsout. That is wonderful, Cheryl and NatsFan, love the Mexcian food restaurants here in CA. Welcome Cherilynn64. I love Jazzercize, have not done it for awhile, thanks for the reminder. I might look for a class. Hubby and I walked all day at Universal and even did those uphill stairs there, that lead from the upper level to lower. They were hard, now I do appreciate the fireman's routine of constantly climbing stairs. I am finally seeing the scale move a tad. Red velvet cake, are you sharing?? have fun, today, everyone!!!!! Kathy

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited February 2012

Dog walking with Nordic Walking poles!! I go so much faster and the pups + husband get a much better workout as well.  I was introduced to it at the Team Survivor NW retreat and I love it!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,521
    edited February 2012

30 on treadmill & 30 pilates, after running all over doing errands (along with everyone else in town) because a winter storm is predicted this weekend.

Welcome Cherilynn, start with the moves and no weights, then go to really light weights (like 1 pounds, or even just soup cans at first); it is frustratingly slow, but as you can see by all the posts, if you keep at it you will get there! Definitely use this time to concentrate on the lower body and abs. I never liked lower body work & when I was forced to do mostly them, I lost a pants size (without losing weight), so that was a good SE for me.

Happy Weekend!

• Cherilynn64
    edited February 2012

Thank you Ruth - that's good advice and I feel better reading it from you. Just as I was all set to go back to jazzercise class tomorrow morning, I got a cold today. First one in at least 6 years. Figured I'd get something with my immune system taking a whacking to. So I'll aim for going back Monday before work. And Kathy I hope you find a class close to you - I think you'd enjoy it again! Laughing

Cheri 

• ruthbru
    edited February 2012

Cheri, I just got back from visiting friends in Mesa. You have perfect weather right now for walking outside!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2012

hi ladies and welcome Cheri.  Shovel & Sculpt yesterday as this part of the state got 5 inches of snow from the last storm that swept in from the Dakotas. Wink  Getting an oil change this morning so dropped off my car and walked back home, about a mile. 

Sending prayers and positive thoughts to patoo and Corinne, as they run a 5K at Disney.

Through exercise and good food choices, I am down to my lowest weight in years.  Got this great old pair or jeans I want to wear again.  I can get them on but can't zip them up - YET!

Have a good weekend everyone.  ((hugs))

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2012

Badger, I remember what a workout shoveling is, hope your snow stays at a minimum!!! Badger, how long did it take you for your weight loss? Congrats!!!! 40 minutes in the gym yesterday and plan on walking today, did some weights this morning!!!! Have a great weekend, everyone!!! Go Corrine and Patoo!!!! Ruth, I am sure you miss Arizona!!!!!! Cheri, hope you feel better!!!!!

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited February 2012

Back from a week away - wow - lots to catch up on!   We returned to mid-50 degree temps - we left a frozen Danube and now there is no snow to be found.

Today I did Day 10 of pilates challenge, and 20 minutes of jump board.  Also dusted off the rebounder and did about 10 minutes - I hear that it's really good for the lymphatic system, which I find intriguing.  

Sending patoo and Corinne good wishes on their run this weekend in FL.  

badger  Woohoo on getting those jeans on, and zipped soon!  

NWArtLady  Great idea on the walking poles.   

Hope that everybody is having a good weekend! 

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2012

90 minutes ashtanga yoga class, then 30 mins Les Mills Pump lifting. Then, I did the scrub and sculpt and swept and mopped all the rooms in my house.

Now, sitting down to relax and keep reading The Science of Yoga. fascinating book!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited February 2012

One hour very hot and sweaty Body Combat this morning.  Patoo and Corinne hope you girls are thoroughly enjoying youselves at Disneyworld.

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited February 2012

1 hour and 10 minutes of Zumba.  Feel like I am finally getting over a minor head cold.... the sneezing was ridiculous!!  Thanks everyone for your comments.... losing a pet is never easy, but 9 years is a long time for a bunny!!

Hoping Patoo and Corrine were able to hook up and run together for a bit (also for good weather)!!!

Last week end of February!! Surprised  Can't wait for spring officially!

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2012

Cheryl, You are unbelieveable doing the Body CombatLaughing It sounds intense!!! Good for you!!!!  Mary Louise, hope you feel better!!!! Think Spring, All!!!! Going for a walk!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2012
    Hey, Misswim, isn't scrub and sculpt good!!!!! Cleaning and exercising all in one!!!!Wink
  • Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited February 2012

Walked downtown last night (30 minutes?) and going Salsa dancing tonight. FLOW class tomorrow pm!

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited February 2012

Yesterday, abs and strength training.  Today 80 minutes of high intensity exercise on the arc, bike, eliptical and treadmill...  Now out for a movie...:)

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2012

Kathy, it has taken me 20 months to lose 24 lbs, since I finished chemo in June 2010.

I'd like to lose at least 10 more pounds and if it takes me a year, so be it.

Chilly but sunny today so I bundled up and got out for a walk, went 5 miles, feel great!

Going out tonight for dinner and a show with friends, to see live stand-up comedy!  Laughing 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

45 elliptical and 55 yoga at home. Very nice! I've been using MyFittnessPal.com to track my calories and activity, and I've lost 9 pounds! It's real easy, if you use it too and want to be "pals", PM me!

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited February 2012

Badger - the slower the pounds come off, the most likely they will STAY off!!  Congrats!

Tomorrow is the Daytona 500, and my husband always has a get together here.  We have enough food for 40 people I am sure, but really only expecting around 10!!  Must get some heavy duty Zumba in tomorrow morning, so I will be able to enjoy (hopefully in moderation!) also!!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

• ruthbru
    edited February 2012

Congratulations to Badger & Springtime on their weight loss!!

Did a good old 60 minute FIRM tape: Complete Aerobics and Weight Training

The weatherman predicts that I will get several Shovel and Sculpt opportunities this week Frown.....in fact the snow is headed this way as I type.

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited February 2012

Hey Kathy: Just found this thread. Don't forget I am up for a walk anytime - we can do as much or as little as you want to.

So nice to meet you, Julie and Cheryl today.  What threads are they on?

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited February 2012

Lovely, mild day today - off for a hike with DH and my favorite furry friend.   

It felt like the rebounder activity yesterday did get the lymph system going - I was tingly and uncomfortable on the affected side afterwards.  Maybe rebounding is not for me.  Did MLD twice last night - a few hours apart - and felt better.   

This afternoon we are off to a friend's house for Brazilian feijoda - hopefully I can stick with just one bowl!  Depending on the consumption, I may add in some Zumba later today.   

Hope that everyone has a great Sunday.   

• Mom2JJ
    Mom2JJ Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2012

Jenlee, welcome. You and I are somewhere in the same spot. I just finished my second TC on February 23rd (the day my twin daughters turned 8!). I managed 3 miles on the treadmill the day before chemo thanks to steroids, nothing on chemo day, and then six miles each on Friday and Saturday (thanks to steroids again). I seem to manage exercise while on steroids and then 2-3 days off while I'm blasted with the chemo fatigue; then I can pick up again. My cardio isn't what is was pre-surgery because I can't do the elliptical or run right now, but I have resumed personal training with my trainer with an emphasis on legs. We have managed to isolate my biceps and triceps but that is it for upper body until these TEs are gone and I recover from my DIEP (which won't be for months given 2 more TCs and then 6-8 weeks of rads). Hang in there and keep exercising. I am convinced that exercise helps with at least some of the chemo SEs.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited February 2012

Am back from our vacation and glad to report 200 grams lighter. It was great to see DD graduate from skiing to snowboarding. By the end of the week she's almost as fast on her board as I am on skis. It was fun to watch her and DH lead the way on their snowboards.

Back in the gym today. Ran my first full mile without walking in between in 18 minutes.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2012

We did get the predicted snow, and seem to be trapped until the snow plow comes through, or DH gets stir-crazy.....whichever comes first! He did fire up the snowblower this morning for the first time this winter, so we can get from the driveway to the street anyway!

I tried out a new DVD I just bought, Jillian (from BL) circuit training No More Trouble Zones. Very hard!!! Now if I can stop myself from eating all the 'snow day comfort food', I will be in good shape!

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited February 2012

Kathy told me about this thread ---sounds inspiring. I am a jogger who used to run marathons. Now I do an occasional race and jog with my dogs every day (a couple of miles) I also go out by myself and jog for an hour or so - try to do some hills most of the time so I can get my heart rate up. It is difficult because I am on a drug for afibs which limits my heart rate somewhat. But I want to keep exercising, especially to help with the side effects from Aromasin. I have a lot of bone pain and the jogging/walking does help.  If any of you are in the Torrance, CA area I am always up for a walk or a jog. Let me know. I just met three very nice ladies yesterday: Kathy, Cheryl and Julie. So nice to meet you guys -hope we can get together again soon--

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2012

Ruth- I have that DVD. I usually end up quitting because a. it is TOUGH!!! and b. Jillian is such a battleaxe!

90 minutes hot yoga this morning. Trying to motivate to do 30 minutes Les Mills Pump. Having a hard time getting off the couch! DS and DH are skiing and my house is so quiet..... perfect napping circumstances.

Come on voices, get me off the couch!