Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• mom_of_2
    mom_of_2 Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2010

I decided to give myself a goal...I have never been a runner and have always wanted to. So this May 8th, I registered for the Susan G. Komen 5K here in Atlanta. It motivated me so much that I went to the gym bright and early and ran 2.5 miles!!!! Followed by 60 min abs and 3 mile walk. Amazing how fear of failure and embarrassment motivates me!

• etk02038
    etk02038 Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2010

Well, you guys have inspired me. I pushed myself to do 20 minutes/3 miles on the elliptical. I think I have been in a mild depression since my dx last month. I know exercise will help. Also getting my husband and son to help around the house would be nice. But, I don't look sick...so I guess I don't need any help?

Lorrie-I am in the Norfolk area 

• bobcat
    bobcat Member Posts: 526
    edited February 2010

mom of 2 - right on with the race.  we will cheer you on and train you if needed.  I have 9 marathons under my belt.  Ellen - exercise is the best medicine.  I worked out all throughout surgery, chemo and treatments.  Still going strong.  Stay with us!!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542
    edited February 2010

Finally had a night when I got home at a decent time!!! Zoomed downstairs; did two 30 min. Firm tapes, "Calorie Killer" & "Rock Solid Buns" & then 15 minutes on the treadmill. Now I intend to sit in the recliner and do nothing but watch the Olympics for the rest of the night. (I am motivated by LAZINESS!!!). Awesome Kris, that will be a really exciting goal to run TOWARD.  Bobbi can give you running tips. I can give you carbohydrate loading tips Wink. Good job, Ellen. You are way on top of things since you already know that exercise will help you recover faster both physically and mentally. Kick the DH & DS into gear though, OF COURSE, you need help around the house. You do only have so much engery and it shouldn't be spent on housework!!! Do  I hear an "AMEN"?

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2010

Ohhhhhh, Power Shopping - I like it!

Bobcat, glad you are finally getting some relief.  Those spasms can't be any fun.  I would probably have been a blubbering fool as my pain tolerance is, literally, zero.

Went to the gym tonight and worked out in the pool for 30 mins and then stayed for the one-hour water aerobics class so 90 mins of cardio with a little upper body thrown in.  A good workout. 

• reeltchr
    reeltchr Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2010

Hi - Did 30 min of walking and then 30 min Pilates. Went bowling tonight and had a good evening. Hope everyone is doing well. Chrris

• kirstensmum
    kirstensmum Member Posts: 76
    edited February 2010

Hi ladies.  Today I received my stats from the 30 day weight management plan I am on with the gym.  I lost 20 cms and 5.4kg.  I am feeling great about this.  I am on day 6 of the 14 day plan now where the metabolism is supposed to recover, then start the next 30 days.  So hang in there everyone the weight will shift eventually.  While there I did the 30 minute circuit. 

I had my cortisone injection a couple of hours ago and I am currently resting my foot on the bed.  This injection was by far the worst I have ever had.  I have taken some strong pain killers so I hope it will settle down soon.  I am suppose to rest it for 48hours so I don't think I will be exercising tomorrow.  

It is very hot and humid, and there is a thunder storm brewing.  We have a/c but it is water cooling and it doesn't work that well when it is humid. 

Bye for now

Jennie

• etk02038
    edited February 2010

AMEN, Ruth. Great job Jennie. I had a cortisone shot in the botton of my foot last year for plantar fascias. It was one of the most painful things I ever had done.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited February 2010

Wow - you ladies are inspirational.  I went out to dinner with friends last night so didn't get to post my yesterday's exercise:

Before work - 20 minutes Wii Fit Yoga, then in honor of the Olympics, 5 minutes of Wii ski jumping.  I am the current gold medal ski jump champ in our household, much to my dh's dismay!  Laughing

After work - 30 minute elliptical.  I put the iPod on "Shuffle" for the first time ever - wow do you get some weird song combos!

Wind, wind, and more wind today here in the DC area.  (And I'm not talking about yesterday's health care summit!)   

• patoo
    edited February 2010

Well I know what my exercise will be today - probably several times - Shovel and Sculpt!  Waiting to find out if my office is closed or if I have to take a vacation day.  Whichever it is there is no way I'm getting out there.  My little car (Kia Spectra) just doesn't like ice and slush and the roads are slick and dangerous.

Oh, great, a commercial about Jamaica just came on.  I'm ready to book it.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2010

Patoo, get a group rate to Jamaica and sign us ALL up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bobcat
    edited February 2010
    I am off to walk in the snow for an hour.  Will wear the back brace as the spasm is finally easing.  I have another appt with my chiro at noon and then off to work.  Patoo, I have to drive to Flemington and hope the major roads are clear by this afternoon.  I'm all in on that Jamaica trip!!!  NatsFan - congrats on your gold medal Smile
  • NatsFan
    edited February 2010

Count me in on the Jamaica trip!! 

I have a feeling my gold medal may be in jeopardy - my dh only works half days on Fridays, and I think he's going to take the opportunity this afternoon to do some serious ski jumping! Not that we're competitive or anything.  Laughing

I'm so sorry for all you snow gals in NJ and north - we've had more than enough in DC this year that I really feel for you.  If there were a gold medal for snow shoveling, I'd have that one too.  And of course all of you who had nodes removed, please be careful with that at-risk arm!

Bobcat - glad the spasm is easing.  I had spasms after my DIEP from the long surgery then the required 24 hours of immobility after that.  Yikes.  I've never had a back spasm before, and the pain from that was FAR worse than the pain from the surgery itself. 

• patoo
    edited February 2010

Bobcat, drive safely.  They just plowed my development and the side road was plowed although not down to the blacktop so it's probably icy.  I wouldn't mind if I could get to a major road but they do such a poor job in my town and the next one that I have to navigate to get to the highway.  So my office will open at 11am but will only charge us 1/2 vacation day if we stay home.   I'm staying home.  Going out to exercise.

• patoo
    edited February 2010

Took about 45 mins to shovel driveway.  Snow was very heavy so it was a good workout.  I don't mind the shovelling actually but worry about developing LE down the line.  Oh well, maybe exercise is also good for keeping LE away as well. 

• patoo
    edited February 2010

Oh, and I like to weigh before and after - down 2 lbs!  Hope I can keep it off.

• etk02038
    edited February 2010

So glad we have just rain and snow flurries here in MA! I hate snow...I would move if my family would agree.

Did 20 minutes walk on elliptical and 20 minutes on bike. And 3 dog walks. 

• ruthbru
    edited February 2010
    We are happily NOT having snow; which is very good as they are advising everyone who lives by the river to buy flood insurance NOW; (it takes 30 days to go in effect)  when all the snow we have already have starts to melt......it could be very bad! Patoo, my family doctor says to do some lifting exercises (within reason, of course), because doing so will actually build up your lymph system. Because of your 'voices', I did 45 minutes on the treadmill & 15 minutes toning with RS, even though its Friday and I didn't feel like it! Keep us up on the medal count, Nats Smile. Stay safe and warm, or cool, as the case may be!! Later, Ruth
  • patoo
    edited February 2010

Sitting around all day after shoveling this morning and so felt the need to move again so just did 40 mins; 2 miles on treadmill. 

Have a great remainder of evening my Powerful Rangers.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2010

Good job, patoo!

• reeltchr
    reeltchr Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2010
    Went to the studio and did 1 hr class today. Then, later, went shopping at Penny's and bought some new bras that will fit. Best of all, they were on sale! I love a good bargain. Walked around the mall too. I'm not usually a mall shopper but I figured I could get some walking done. Of course, spent more money. Oh well, it's all for exercise (just not saying which kind). Rest easy tonight. Chris
  • ruthbru
    edited February 2010

Chris, I believe that the consensus is that 'Power Shopping' is a very important exercise catergory, and one that should be engaged in on a regular basis!! Smile

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited February 2010
    Well tonight I did 20 minutes on the treadmill and a one hour body pump class.  Jennie you are a real trooper,  I would rather have my eye poked out with a stick than ever have another cortisone shotSurprised  Patoo today not only are you a power ranger but you are truly a wonder woman.  mom what a great goal, you know you have a big cheer section here.  Chris you hit the trifector - workout, mall walking and power shopping.  Nats hope you keep that gold medal Wink  Ruth you and Richard - I think there is something going on there!!  Bobcat hope you are feeling good after your appointment.  Ellen I don't think it matters where you are there is "weather" we are bracing for more rain tonight and tomorrow, I went to the grocery store after the gym so I don't have to bother tomorrow and to top it off I have a scratchy throat - typical I went to the doctors office today and had a shave biopsy on a mole but there were people hacking and coughing so I've probably picked something up.  Keep up the good work everyone
  • ruthbru
    edited February 2010

Shhh, my DH is already suspicious about Richard and me......

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited February 2010
    I knew itWink
  • ruthbru
    edited February 2010
    Laughing
  • NatsFan
    edited February 2010

Hmm - we have a brewing scandal on the boards, I see!  Tongue out

Yesterday - before work - 20 minutes Wii yoga and strength training, plus 5 minutes ski jumping - I still hold the gold!   After work - 10 minutes on my new arm bike plus 20 minutes yoga, which I would definitely not have done without hearing your 'voices'.  Off now to do some power shopping errand-running.

• bobcat
    edited February 2010

Double spin and now off to the beach for overnight and visit with family.  Will try to get a run or walk in on the boardwalk tomorrow.  Back is coming along nicely!!  I will check in tomorrow night.  Power on!!!

• mom_of_2
    mom_of_2 Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2010

* RAN 3.5 TREADMILL

* 60 min upper body free weights

* 50 rail push-ups

* 15 min stretch

Now I'm ready for a nap! HAPPY SATURDAY! 

• etk02038
    edited February 2010

15 minutes on bike

20 on elliptical

15 minutes walking on treadmill  

All at low-moderate rate...next week I need to pump up the speed.