Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited March 2010
    Hi Jennie, I am so sorry I hope she is not in any pain, her medication is probably too strong 25kgs is a lot of weight to lose, I hope they can adjust it so she has some QOL.  I don't know how you are doing no biscuits I'm hopeless, I have to have one with a cup of tea and I'm not giving up my tea, they have just started selling Tim Tams here they are one of my downfalls especially frozen yummmm, I'll go to the kitchen and get another cookie and have it in your honour - geeze no wonder i don't lose weightSurprised
  • mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited March 2010

Okay ladies off the gym to torture myself.Wish me luck.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542
    edited March 2010
    Luck to mum in the  torture chamber. Thanks for eating the cookie for me, I LOVE oatmeal raisin cookies (of course, I love most cookies Smile). Jennie, sorry about your mum. It is so hard when ones parents are failing. My mom died 7 years ago after a battle with lung diease, and my dad is in failing health, living in a nursing home in my town, so it IS tough stuff! Hopefully they can do something to stabilize her health. The kids will be showing up in my room momentarily, so better close. A great day to you all! Ruth
  • lillian1
    lillian1 Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2010

You people are amazing - you're really making me look bad!  It definitely looks like spring is in the air now, so I'll continue to get out there and get those walks in.  Question - have any of you ever gone to "Curves"?  I'm considering it because the idea of going thru a circuit of exercise in 30minutes is pretty attractive.  My spinal mets does give me pause, though.  By bouncing around like that, would I risk cracking more vertebrae???  I've been on Boniva for a year, but I do worry about these dusty bones of mine.

• hbcheryl
    edited March 2010

Hi lillian, pm Jennie (kirstensmum) she is doing Curves in Australia (it's the middle of the night there now), have a great day everyone.

• etk02038
    etk02038 Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2010

Jennie...sorry about your Mum's health. My Mom is at late stage Alzheimer's...quite a horrible disease. Silly me, I was worried about getting that not cancer. Nobody in my family had breast cancer. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow so I guess I shouldn't worry about the cancer either! 

Well, to the gym this morning. 20 minutes on bike, 10 on stair master (that is just a torture device) and 10 minutes on elleptical. Also a little upper body on nautilis.  Then walked my furry clients-it finally hit 50 degrees and the sun showed up.

• lillian1
    lillian1 Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2010

etk,

I lost my mother to Alzheimer's when she was 78.  Just like you, I agonized that I'd be taken by that awful disease too.  Absolutely no history of breast cancer in my family either.  You're right, best to live every minute then worry about what eventually gets us!  So non-productive.  I was having a tough day today, just couldn't breathe, so didn't do any exercising.  I hope tomorrow is a better day.  We're expecting (yes, again) a mixture of snow and rain, so I'll jump on the Gazelle instead of braving the elements.  Take care, have a good night.

• bobcat
    bobcat Member Posts: 526
    edited March 2010

Jennie - love and prayer to you Mum.  It's so hard watching loved ones suffer.

• bobcat
    edited March 2010
    Went to spin this morning and just home from work.  My friend, the personal trainer, is teaching a boot camp tonight.  My back is screaming but I will go and be supportive - just no back exertions at all.  After my setback on Sunday with the walking and spasms I finally called my oncologist today and told him what I had been doing for it. i.e. xrays, muscle relaxers, pain meds, chiro and no real relief after 12 days.  He immediately said I should come down to them for MRI and he will thoroughly check it all out.  I feel so relieved that he wants to help me through this.  When I told him that the hospital that did the xrays is the same one that said I didn't have breast cancer he almost choked!!  So, I am not expecting any bad news just a complete examination of all the possibilities and hopefully relief.  I will still get my work outs in somehow Kiss  Have a good night all.
  • kirstensmum
    kirstensmum Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2010

Thanks everyone for your concern for Mum.  Hopefully we can sort out her medication and she will get some relief.  Lillian, I go to curves 3 times a week, but due to your bone mets I suggest you check with your doctor first.  Personally I enjoy it.  I don't have a lot of stamina and I know that 30 minutes and I am done.

Yesterday I received a new "toy".  I have seen the cardio twister advertised on tv and in a weak moment ordered one.  I have tried it out this morning and I am not sure if it is for me.  I have sore feet and I seem to aggravate them by using it.  I have it on trial for one month before I have to pay.  It feels a little bit wobbly and I'm not sure if DH put it together properly.(lol)

Today I have been out riding my bike (30mins Don't have my car during the day, so am riding everywhere) I am also about to ride to Mums for a cuppa and check on her so will keep adding to this total.

Take care everyone

Jennie

• ruthbru
    edited March 2010
    Hi All! 30 minutes upper body sculpt, 30 minutes lower body scuplt, & 30 on the treadmill. Bobbi, I'm glad your oncologist is your good 'go to' doctor. Mine is my GP; whom I LOVE, LOVE (perfectly above board, I have told his wife of my feelings for him, and she does not object Smile). I ran and run everything past him, and he has done lots of research for me, made phone calls, ordered tests etc. Lillian, I'm sure that Curves has trial memberships and maybe even would let you try it for free if you explained the situation. That way you could test out whether or not it would be something you'd enjoy/benefit from (not that you shouldn't check it out with your doctor, but they don't always know that much about exercise). 50 degrees and sunny sounds fantastic, Ellen. It was in the 20s here, and we are thinking that it is pretty balmy! Good Night All! Ruth
  • reeltchr
    reeltchr Member Posts: 139
    edited March 2010
    Hi Ladies -  Did 30 min of Pilates - that's all I could handle today. Going to my PS tomorrow to get marked up for surgery Thurs. It's the next step of reconstruction with implants. I will then officially have a pair of "foobs". It's actually an outpatient procedure but I will go under anesthesia. Hope to be back home by evening. Unfortunately, I will be out of commission for awhile in terms of exercise. My son will be babysitting me to be sure I don't do something I'm not supposed to doInnocent. Take it easy. Chris
  • ruthbru
    edited March 2010

Good Luck, Chris! Let us know how it goes. Ruth

• hbcheryl
    edited March 2010
    Hello ladies, well I must have eaten my wheaties this morning (actually it was oatmeal) because tonight I did 30 mins weight room upper body, then one hour body step class then stayed and did half an hour of the cardio dance class - whew, now I am flopped in my chair flipping between Biggest Loser and American Idol.  Chris good luck with your surgery take it easy afterwards and let your son wait on you hand and footWink please keep us in the loop as I do believe typing is exercise for your fingers!.  Bobcat I am so glad you called you doc, let us know when you are going for your MRI.  Ruth like you, I love my GP he is one of the good guys, weather here today was beautiful but guess what, more rain on the wayYell.  Ellen do you dog walk once a day or twice, and all together or separately?  Jennie I'm just about to have a cuppa as well but no cookies tonightFrown.  Take care all.
  • etk02038
    edited March 2010

Wow, Cheryl..what kind of oatmeal? I walk about 5 dogs a day, sometimes 2 at a time. Ugh...just looked out the window, it's snowing.

Have a good day all. 

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited March 2010

Hi Ladies -

Yesrerday before work - 20 minutes Pilates.  After work - 15 minutes elliptical, 30 minutes weight training & LE PT workout, 10 minutes on the arm bike.

Well, dh finally beat me in the Wii ski jump challenge.  But when he proudly told me he now held the Olympic gold, I had the perfect answer as suggested by Ruth.  I just looked at him and said, "That's nice, dear, but the Olympics are over so I'm still the Olympic champ."  His jaw dropped then he started laughing, saying he should have known that I'd have the perfect combeback.  Thanks Ruth!  Laughing  So we compromised - I'm still the reigning Olympic champ, but he's the current world record holder.  

HB - are you a Biggest Loser fan too?  Don't tell me what happened last night yet.  I can't stay up long enough to watch the end, so I recorded the last half to watch tonight.  I did see the first hour of it - I could believe those two people ate all that junk food in the challenge. Yuk.

And hooray for Bobcat's onc!!

• mumito
    edited March 2010

Off to the gym again yesterday I did a class today I will use the machines and take it easy.

• bobcat
    edited March 2010
    Chris - good luck with the exchange surgery.  I remember be able to get a little walking done after about a week but listened to my PS regarding anything else. You will bounce right back.   I wish you good healing and happy results.  Lilian - Curves is a big deal around here - lots of ladies I know go because it's all women and more comfortable for some.  Plus like the idea of 30 minutes in and out.  Nats - hang onto that gold!!  I did do the boot camp last night but I was the only one there(bad weather was predicted) so my friend gave me a personal training session gratis - we worked upper body and abs and she was super careful about my back.  This morning - one hour power walk with the brace and my new heart rate monitor(treated myself Kiss).  Scheduled the MRI for Monday and the ovaries come out on Tuesday - I have to plan my workouts for the rest of the week!!  Thanks for all the support Powersisters!!
  • hbcheryl
    edited March 2010

Hi Nats, yes I love Biggest Loser - have to tell you my roommate saw Shay from last season working out with a trainer at a local high school a couple of weeks ago and said that Subway need to get out their checkbook as she looks fabulous, (she's the one that Subway have on the $1000 a lb challenge).  Bobcat, isn't it funny how bad weather keeps people home, in my saturday morning class there are usually about 30 people but because it was pouring down rain there were 6 of us, glad you got a personal workout last night and she took care of your back.  Do you have a good book to take to hospital with you?  Keep up the good work Mum.  Well off to do some work now, great day everyone.  

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2010

Just stopping in for a minute while at work.  Didn't have a chance to post yesterday but did do a one-hour water class last night.  Busy tonight but will try and get in at least 30 mins on treadmill before I have to head back out tonight. 

My local 'Y' has a curves-type room setup so if you have a local one check to see.  That way you are not restricted to only the circuit but can change and try other equipment, take a class or the pool as well under your membership.

Chris and Bobcat - thinking of you as you go through these next steps.

You ladies keep me motivated and laughing. 

• ruthbru
    edited March 2010

Checking in quickly, this will be my day off this week; because I really, truly can NOT fit it in. Tomorrow, for sure! Bobbi, before my several surgeries, I'd exercise like mad, as I knew I'd need some time off after; my DH was rather concerned with my MENTAL HEALTH, I think, when I set the alarm clock super early so I could work out before going to the hospital.......I was unknowingly in training to be a POWER RANGER!!!! Take care and much love to you all! Ruth

• mom_of_2
    mom_of_2 Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2010

Hi Girls just checking in....

At gym today with ankle wrapped so no cardio for me. 60 min upper body free weights and circuit followed by 30 min abs.

Ya'll keep up the good work!

Kris 

• kirstensmum
    kirstensmum Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2010

Hi ladies, just home from the gym.  Rode my bike to and from and did the 30 min circuit.  I will also be going to yoga this afternoon.  I have been able to increase my exercise time to roughly 1 hour a day.  I try to do 30 minutes in the morning and 30 in the afternoon.  I enjoy watching Judge Judy, so I hop on the stationary bike at 3pm and watch her.

Take care everyone

Jennie

• reeltchr
    reeltchr Member Posts: 139
    edited March 2010
    Tomorrow is D-day. I will be in touch once I can function again Smile.Chris
  • kathylev
    kathylev Member Posts: 56
    edited March 2010

Hi Ladies,

A couple of ladies on another thread recommended this site to me after I complained about weight gain during chemo.   I read it at work today and did 30 min. on the elliptical (after I dusted it off) when I got home tonight.  Thanks for the motivation!  I hope to be back tomorrow.

Kathy

• MBCR
    MBCR Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2010

I've been on Tamox for 9 months now. My weight keeps fluctuating. I'm in the up phase now, my pants are a little tight. I went back to work in Oct (6months post-op). Its definitely harder to fit work outs in now. I signed up for a yoga class, once a week for an hour

• hbcheryl
    edited March 2010

Hi girls, one hour Body Combat class for me tonight, mbcr the best advice I can offer is that exercise is like everything else it's just a habit, I'll tell you I panic now if I think I'm going to be late for a class, Kathy congrats on dusting off the eliptical,.  Kris what did you do to your ankle?  Hey Patoo missed you glad to see you checking in.  Jennie you are doing great adding the extra time is certainly going to help in your weight loss goals, I love Judge Judy as well I usually DVR it and watch before bed.  Miss you on your day off Ruth but you're allowed - hey you're not in the basement with Richard are you????Wink

• mumito
    edited March 2010

I know ladies I am going to the gym.Habit you say? Then why do I still have to drag myself there.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited March 2010

Hi Ladies - You all are definitely an inspiration!  I just signed up for a weekly yoga class that starts in April.  I find that doing yoga and weight training on a consistent basis helps ease some of the AI aches and pains. 

Yesterday before work - 20 minutes Wii yoga plus 5 minutes Wii ski jumping (drat - dh is still the current world record holder!)

After work - I dug out the exercises the hospital's PT department gave me to do before my DIEP.  It's a lot of Pilates-type stuff on the ball to strengthen the core.  Wow - I was surprised at how unsteady I was for a lot of it.  I hadn't used those exercises for several months now, but yesterday showed me I need to get back to strengthening and stabilizing my core.  Then I did 15 minutes on the elliptical to get the blood moving after the core work.  

Kathy - you go girl!!

• etk02038
    edited March 2010

Good Luck, Chris.

I got my oncotype test back yesterday, score 12 no Chemo! Still trying to figure out hormone therapy though. Oncologist said 2 years tamoxifen then maybe lupron or ovary removal. I have my doubts about tamoxifen due to endometriosis and fibroids...I have enough problems down there. We will discuss this further after radiation treatments which should start in about 2 weeks. It's about time since this all began in December!  

I gotta figure out what my exercise plan is today. Off day yesterday, it was either grocery shopping or exercise. There would have been a revolt around here if there was no food in the house.