Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited May 2012
    Adey Keep us posted try not to worryUndecided
  • Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited May 2012

Stupid Tamox! 

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited May 2012

I know this is the fitness thread but sometimes you need to be bad.Pouring you a glass.Laughing

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited May 2012

Yum.  Laughing

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited May 2012

Congrats Mum!  Keeping fingers crossed for Adey!

I DID get my walk in this morning... felt great again!!  In the middle to cutting the grass, but wanted to check my emails before business hours were over..... I guess now I must go back out to finish!

• Lagata1276
    Lagata1276 Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2012

Badger - thank you! I will certainly try that.

Anyone have experience with compression sleeves? I had a call from an occupational therapist today and I told her I have no swelling in my arm but was concerned about LE, so she told me to get a sleeve. The primary reason i asked is that i have a 6 hour flight tomorrow. I'm getting it tonight, but am wary of wearing one without the symptoms present.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,527
    edited May 2012

This is just my personal opinion.....but I do not wear a sleeve as I do not have LE symptoms, and I think if not done perfectly right you can do more harm than good (for example, from what I've read you should not wear a sleeve without a gauntlet). Hopefully Mary will stop by and weigh in. What I do when I fly is get and stay very hydrated, take off rings, watches from that side, wear loose clothes, move my arm around alot, squeeze, unsqueeze, get up and walk around the cabin a couple times during a longer flight. I do pack a sleeve in my purse though.

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited May 2012

Welcome Lagata! Just do a little bit each day, a short walk is more than enough after what you have been through! You'll build back up in itme.

Did my daily nordic dog walking with the 3 pups and husband!  There is a strange shiny thing in the sky here, I understand it is called "the sun."  We'll have to see what we think of this new development here in Seattle. Cool

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited May 2012

Legata - there's no definitive answer about whether someone who is at risk but doesn't have LE should wear a sleeve or not while flying.  And Ruth is right - a sleeve should NEVER be worn without a compression gauntlet or glove.  I know your flight is tomorrow, but you may want to post your question in the Lymphedema forum and hope you get a quick answer - there are some very knowledgable people who can fill you in on the latest thinking.  Also, an excellent website for LE info is:  http://www.stepup-speakout.org/

Here's info on risk reduction measures:  http://www.stepup-speakout.org/riskreduction_for_lymphedema.htm

And here's info on the studies about flying with or without compression:  http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Controversial%20Studies%20on%20Compression%20Garments%20when%20Flying.htm

As Ruth  has said, using improperly fitted compression sleeves or using sleeves without a compression gauntlet can actually increase your risk to develop LE.  Ideally you would have gotten a sleeve and gauntlet a few weeks before flying and would have had time to wear them to test their fit and to test whether they cause issues.  Ruth had great advice about what to do when flying - the things she suggested are good for any of us who have had nodes removed, whether or not we have LE and whether or not we wear a sleeve and gauntlet.  

cfdr - it took me about a year or so after active treatment was over to learn to manage the fatigue that comes post treatment and with AIs.  Like you, I'd feel fine and overdo, and end up crashing and burning - even having to take a couple of days off work with extreme fatigue.  It's like gas in a car - you have to develop your own internal gauge for how much you have left in the tank.  It's tricky for sure, and sometimes even now I still miscalculate and pay for it big time!

Mum - congrats on the good news!

Cheryl - enjoy the road trip!

Did a 3 mile run today, then had my 6 month MO appointment. She's thrilled with my level of activity and my weight loss. She also strongly recommended that I get the shingles vaccine, so I'll get that when I see my PCP for my physical nexgt month.  And I'll need another DEXA scan - I dread seeing how much more letrozole has rotted my bones.  But given everything, all was well, and it's 6 months before my next MO appointment.   Woohoo!!

• ruthbru
    edited May 2012

Oh yes, congratulations to mum! Whew! Off for an evening walking now.....

• ruthbru
    edited May 2012

real nice hour long walk with a friend

• Lagata1276
    Lagata1276 Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2012

Thank you everyone! I did have major reservations and when I got to the medical supply store, the fitter wasn't comfortable with "selling" me one without a prescription. So that pretty much made up my mind and I left without one. I already have edema in my left leg and wear prescription compression stockings and I KNOW one isn't supposed to wear them if there's no symptoms/diagnosis.

And I will do everything Ruth suggested!

I'll definitely check in and let you know how everything went upon my return in a week.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited May 2012

hi ladies, it was gorgeous here today.  I got a nice walk at lunch and also had yoga class tonight.  Left my pedometer on all day long including class and holy smokes, I took 15,000 steps today!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited May 2012

It has been raining the last few days.  Great for the farmers and for my garden but puts a damper on my walking.  I have had two great yoga classes this week.  Our instructor is going to Hawaii in June so she has been working our abs.  Times like this I wish I was a member of a gym I have a hard time being disciplined here at home too many distractions.

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited May 2012

Hello ladies

I got a pedometer and took it for a walk on Tuesday and was ridiculously impressed with myself - 3.04 miles in 48 minutes. This after doing nothing for too long. Walked again yesterday and today. Find getting up early and walking before a shower, breakfast etc is best for me.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited May 2012

Hi everyone.  Haven't been on in a couple of days and when I was it was to find this new, annoying, format.  I'm like lots, too old to take change lightly.  I've been moving some almost every day.  Went for a short walk with a friend after work and then, after choir practice, came home and walked/ran a little on the treadmill. 

I've skimmed through the last few pages but can feel I would get a hedache so not staying around much longer tonight. 

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited May 2012

Good Morning All.  It's a busy spring, lots of activity at school - haven't had much time to keep up here.  And the new format - undecided on whether I like it or not.  

Had a good hike/jog this morning on the woods trail by my house.  Feels great to up the time, at this point I'm "running" 20 minutes non-stop - pretty impressed with myself!    

Happy Weekend and Hugs ~ 

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited May 2012

Lagata, if you're still checking in here, I agree with Ruth and just want to add that I'd avoid alcohol and try to keep my arm raised as much as I can. Like hold on to the head rest, touch the ear opposite the affected arm. So far all these measures (keep moving, keep hydrated, etc) have helped me prevent LE. And my flying times are sometimes as long as 18 hours. Good luck!

Great news, mum!

I'll need to get one of those pedometer thingies. I need to be outdoors more. Congrats on 20 minutes, Joy! I am not there yet but hope to be soon.

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited May 2012

Oh .... I haven't been on in awhile...but have been keeping up with exercise.  Walking and weights.  Opening Fishing this weekend ~ so I know I will get some walks in but will also enjoy some great food.  I am excited that the shirts will be here soon!  Thank you! 

Enjoy your day and Be Well

Balsie 

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited May 2012

30 minutes weights/core this morning, plus 20 minute Lebeds.  It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend, so lots of Outdoor Chores N Sculpt for me this weekend!

• cfdr
    cfdr Member Posts: 308
    edited May 2012

NatsFan, thanks for the feedback. It's validating to know this is "normal", OTOH it's discouraging to know I still have a long road of fatigue ahead of me. A friend of mine recently said "It never ends" and another said "It takes forever". I used to be someone who worked long, intense hours and spent hours outdoors on the weekends hiking and kayaking, hitting the gym a couple nights a week. Now I'm tentatively walking around the block, hoping it won't tire me out too much to focus enough to work 6 hours. Ugh.

Interested in the discussion about flying and lymphedema. I have mild truncal lymphedema, although my arm has been fine. Taking my first flights post-treatment this summer and hoping it doesn't cause a flare-up.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited May 2012

I cut back on my warm up so I could run longer - finished 25 minutes of running (yay for me!) for a half hour of cardio. I tried to keep pace with the woman next to me. She was in really good shape and was still running when I left the gym 20 minutes later. I was a bit wasted for weights. I couldn't do my normal number of repetitions and sets. Oh well, you can't win everything.

cfdr, I do think it's important to have well-conditioned arm muscles. Lebeds, like what Mary does should help. I used to do similar movements daily when I did radiation and for a long time after.

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited May 2012

Hi everyone: Went to gym once this week, but have to wait for a package and can't leave the house, so I actually opened up a DVD I purchased from an infomercial about 6 years ago, called Core Rhythms Dance Exercise Program based on latin dance. Not bad, so I "danced" in my house for about 1 hour. Then put on Zumba tape, and said that's enough. It is beautiful so I think I will sit outside for awhile.

So excited about shirts coming in, can't wait.

Hugs,

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited May 2012

Dog walking!!

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited May 2012

50 minute walk again today... toe feeling much better so I can wear a shoe again!!

Wanted to wish all mothers a very "Happy Mother's Day" Week end!!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited May 2012

hi all and welcome Gill!  I find morning walks to be the best.  It's so much nicer before it gets hot mid-day/afternoon, and then you have your exercise in for the day, and anything later on is gravy.

Walked at noon today and had a wonderful salad for lunch with sliced apples and toasted walnuts.

(hmm all these food references, must be hungry...) 

Have a good weekend everyone, and happy Mothers Day to all you moms!  ((hugs)) to all

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited May 2012

Went to park after work and walked/jogged then to store for salad stuff and fruit.  Still only about 2.75 miles today.  Need to increase my daily distance.  At least it's the weekend; that's when I get most of my movement in.

Night friends and if I don't get on over the weekend, Happy Mother's Day all.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited May 2012

It always amazes me how fast this thread moves.  Did my fast 3 mile walk this afternoon.  It is already getting hot here in Texas and it is not even summer yet. yikes.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2012

It moves fast because we move fast Cool!

I did two old FIRM tapes (no wonder I don't like the new format....I still have and use TAPES, for goodness sakes!), a 30 minute upper body & a 30 minute lower body sculpt.

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers, daughters, aunts, teachers and mentors!!!

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited May 2012

20 minutes jumpboard, and fast dog hike - feeling and just being in the heat  Tongue out

heidihill  Yay for you with the running!   25 minutes is great!

To all mothers - a very Happy Mother's Day!