Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited August 2012

We all know that you will be there for her. 

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited August 2012

50 minute walk followed by some stretching.  There was a crescent moon out and a pretty calico cat came out to greet me.  It's been a while since a cat greeted me on a walk Smile

Ruthbru, so sorry for the news about your friend.  This thing strikes too many women.  I hate it! 

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited August 2012

Still on my Nook, will be glad to go home. Lots of new faces so happy to see everyone. Did run over to my gym on the weekend and do Body Combat and Body Step but mostly just walking dogs. Sorry to hear about your friend Ruth, close friend of mine went to walk in last saturday cause she didn't feel well and her heart rate was 150 BPM she is now sitting in hospital waiting for open heart surgery add hospital visits in to my daily routine - i need a vacation!!!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2012

Ruth - I'm so sorry about your friend, but she's lucky to have someone like you to help out - I think we all remember those first dark weeks after diagnosis, and having a friend who has already "been there" can be a lifesaver.

30 minutes core/weights, 15 minutes Lebeds, and I even took a 10 minute swim this morning.  

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited August 2012

Sorry for your friend, Ruth. There are way too many women in this boat. She really is lucky to have you. Cheryl, sorry to hear about your friend too. Hope the surgery is a success. 

I hurt so much from my first seniors' exercise class since the summer break. The teacher is 69 and close-to-15-year survivor. She is probably in better shape than Jane Fonda, who is 72. Definitely in better shape than me. One of the seniors in our class suffered a heart attack on his bike on the way to class. Fortunately someone revived him and he was brought to the hospital on time. I guess this heat is dangerous for older people. Ugh. 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited August 2012

30 minute walk yesterday, and that's about it.  Took youngest out to dinner to celebrate him getting a job and moving to NY, and didn't get up early enough to beat the contractors and do classical stretch.  Might get a walk in today, and hopefully do some dancing tonight at the last Blues on the Beach.  Summer almost over :(

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2012

Noticed that a fall sky last night, and much cooler than last week.  Reveling in summer veggies.

Did minimal exercise the past 2 days, but will do at least three miles of walking today.  And think I will get lots of walking in, once I get to NYC.  Starting with the Airtrain/subway ride in. With my carry on bag in tow.  (Cheaper and faster than the airport bus.)

So walking this coming weekend......then back to real exercise over Labor Day.  Planning some rides/hikes with friends.  Fun stuff.  Will do at least one more major cycling event.  I am thinking Cycle the Wave which funds women's shelters.  Will try "burly girl" again.....think will be LOTS easier than when it did it four months after finishing radiation two years ago.

If weather looks promising, I might do the Tour de Kitsap at the beginning of October.  But not if as foul as the last time I tried it.  Should have known seeing a rainbow on the ferry ride over than not the activity to be doing.

Plus work.  Remember that???  Have a new client to fit in.  Man, am I busy!!!

Off to do some work emails, and then a shot of haircolor.  Because I want to look wonderful for my NYC visit.  Hoping everyone has a great day.  - Claire

• oceanbreezes
    oceanbreezes Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2012

geez, alright, alright...I hear The Voices, I am changing out of my scrubs and into the workout clothes and will sneak to gym before family comes home!  Hope everyone has a good day today and finds time for some exercise

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2012

I just learned that today's the 105th Anniversary of Pike Place Market plus free tastes of wines from the newest winery at the wine bar.  Guess where I'm headed for my walk later?

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited August 2012

Did Chalean Extreme Burn Circuit 1 this morning. As the day progressed, I felt so sick. Ending the day with a fever. Blecn.

• nibbana
    nibbana Member Posts: 349
    edited August 2012

Just can't get into the habit of posting my exercise regularily. I went on a bike ride though, and got chased by every farm dog around. 

I hate dogs who have to give chase everytime a bike or pedestrian passes by. I'm thinking seriously about getting a can of bear spray. 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,533
    edited August 2012

When I first read your post nibbana, I thought you said BEER spray! Tongue out

Must exercise before I hang out......

• nibbana
    nibbana Member Posts: 349
    edited August 2012

Gives the term "Miller Time" a whole new meaning ;)

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2012

hi ladies and welcome geewhiz.  I'm feeling good after an hour of yoga.

Logged 8.7 km = 5.41 mi walked for the past two days.  ((hugs)) to all

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited August 2012

10 hour days setting up my classroom are taking the place of exercise this week.

Ruth- sorry to hear about your friend. She is lucky to have you!

Misswim- I hope your fever is gone soon.

• ginger48
    edited August 2012

Pat01- I am in CT: love your RI beaches!

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

Ginger, we just started school this week and I am beat....my feet hurt too!

Did a 45 minute walk (mostly because I ran into a friend so we walked and talked), then did 30 minutes of pilates.

• nancyjac
    nancyjac Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2012

Well now my chemo brain is affecting my exercise even.  Had a really good walk today, but couldn't tell ya how far, how long, or how fast it was, cause I forgot to put on my pedometer.  Changed pants before I went out walking and left the ped on my vanity in the bathroom.  Didn't even realize I wasn't wearing it until I got back home.   Sheeesh....

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

I can top that....I was having my annual exam at the eye doctor the other day. They had me put the spoon-like thing over one eye and read the chart....then switch it over to the other eye and read the chart again. I switched positions, and said, "That's weird, I can't see a thing." "Ummm," she replied, "you have to OPEN your eye." OMG! Just a little embarrassing!

• ginger48
    edited August 2012

Ruth-Haha! That is "beginning of school year brain"... We start on Monday with students coming on Wednesday.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited August 2012
    Only exercise for me today was chasing a dog.  They warned me one of the bunch was a "runner" well she slipped her harness and we were off, she ran one way I ran the other to get my car keys and give chase well I caught up with her and off she went again but I had thrown and I mean thrown the two other little dogs in the car with me and they started barking and she stopped running I had to approach her with caution so she wouldn't take off again and bam grabbed her.... kidding that didn't give me a "workout".  Then I've been to the hospital twice today and a long walk from the car park to the room, my friend is having open heart surgery tomorrow and tonight the surgeon came in and explained the procedure.  50 years ago in 8th grade I dissected a sheeps heart when he was going over everything tonight I remembered it all from class, so all you teachers take heart things do sink itWink
  • heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited August 2012

LOL, Ruth and Nancy! Biked uphill to the local pool yesterday but had forgotten my swimsuit at home. Ended up chatting in the restaurant with a friend. Did some kickboxing in the evening with a video on youtube.

Hope you're feeling better soon, misswim.

• Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2012

New to this thread, but I am hoping it will motivate and inspire me to do more each week. When I was originally diagnosed I coped by eating lots of chocolate and drinking lots of beer and wine. I know probably not a great thing to do, but everyone has different coping machanisms.

But I have realised that if I want to improve my health and hopefully reduce the risk of getting a reoccurence then I have to change. So since March I have lost 6kg, I now eat lots of veggies and fruit but I still love the occasional chocolate and sip of alcohol (I believe moderation is a good thing) Wink

On the excercise front I am now up to running 10km, cycling 40km and swimming 2km a week plus I have a session doing weights etc. My main plan is to participate in a triathlon and would also like to do a 3km sea swim early next year.

How do you all keep motivated?

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2012

welcome Hils and congratulations on losing 6 kg (13.23 pounds).

Posting here has instilled a daily exercise habit for me and I have gotten to the point where exercise is its own reward.  I stay motivated by wearing a pedometer and logging miles walked in my sig. line.

Others use http://www.loseit.com/ to track food calories in and exercise calories burned.

Ruth uses a notebook to chart weekly cardio and strength-building.  She's very organized.

We encourage one another too, when you need motivation listen for our Voices in your head.

• oceanbreezes
    oceanbreezes Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2012

Welcome Hils, I am also new to the commitment to exercise and find this site  helps motivate me.  It is like having friends that show up at your door and encourage you to get out and move, if you just log on!  Just finished up with 1 1/2 mile walk and 2-3 mile bike ride before it gets to hot here.  Keeping me eye on Isaac, and hoping that hanging the hurricane shutters are not going to be my exercise this weekend :-)  Hoping to get some deep cleaning done today on my day off, hope everyone has a good day!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2012

Welcome Hils - as Badger says, we inspire each other.  Just keep checking in long enough and you'll start to hear our Voices encouraging you, even when you're not on line! Wink Cheryl - what an adventure with the "runner" dog.  You certainly got your exercise with that one.  Heidi - LOL on biking all the way to the pool, then realize you'd forgotten your swimsuit!  That definitely sounds like something I'd do.  

30 minute run this morning.  One of those mornings I never really got it in gear - I never got my breathing and legs in a rhythm and the hills were struggle.  But I just kept chugging away and I finished and felt really proud of myself.  In a strange way, I think those bad session feel more rewarding in the end because they weren't easy.  

• bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148
    edited August 2012

I think i already posted once but couldnt remember when.

Reposting today to renew my commitment.

Did a 30 minute weight training. Want to ease back on the track gradually. Actually afraid of the muscle soreness as im still in the thick of chemo.

Funny thing, after i put on my workout clothes, i picked out a pair of socks, and stood there in front of the mirror thinking i was still missing something. Realized my mind was searching for my elastics! Hah!!!!

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited August 2012

Did get a 30 minute walk in at lunch yesterday, but that's about it - and a little dancing last night at the beach.  Got up early to take son to airport before work, and left the house without my gym bag, so no exercise after work for me today :(

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited August 2012

Got in an hour of pilates stretch, ahhh.  Still haven't been on a run since returning from vacation.  It's so blasted hot, and coupled with the worst hot flashes I've had yet, I'm not sure when I'll get out on the trail again.  Yell

oceanbreeze   Uh oh - sure hoping that Isaac doesn't come your way.  No fun dealing with hurricanes.   

Welcome hils   For motivation, I started recording my resting heart rate, and every once in awhile see if the numbers are better.   And they are!  I'm a numbers geek, so it works for me.   And it feels great after getting in a good workout.  

ruth  LOL about your eye appt.   

• Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2012

Hi Badger, Oceanbreezes, Natsfan, BCbarbie, Joy and Pat (and of course everyone else), thanks for all your welcomes. Great to hear all that you are doing. Don't like the sound of hurricane shutters, but I suppose we all have nature to contend with, down here in New Zealand we have earthquakes, errupting volcanoes and the occasional tsunami warning. I suppose it is what you get used to Wink

Made me laugh re going to the swimming pool without your swimming costume. I have done that before, but I just took my top part of my bikini and not the bottom part. Not a good look!

Great to hear how you all get motivated, with all of you walking with me along this route I know I will hear your voices when I think I can slow down or terminate my excercise early. Big hugs to you all