Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited September 2012

Just a word of caution to those of you living in hot climates:

Yesterday it was 87, but a friend and I went for a 2 1/2 hour power walk in the hills. Felt fine, and had water with us, but on the way back I began to get nauseated and light-headed. Had to sit on the curb for a few minutes.

Was able to make it home, but heart rate was way up there, sweat dripping everywhere and began to get some chest pains. Took BP was 74/55 (since my normal BP is pretty high and I have to take medication for it, I was scared. Never heard of 74 - called a nurse -she told me I had a slight case of heat exhaustion and told me to drink lots of Gatorade.

Called my cardio NP - she wants to do a stress test.

This type of thing has NEVER happened before----so be careful guys---low BP can cause you to faint and do other types of damage (according to Internet)

PS I have been doing extra jogging/walking/exercising lately as I'm not healed from the IB injury so maybe I just overdid it----

• nibbana
    nibbana Member Posts: 349
    edited September 2012

Two weeks of yoga and I'm feeling the difference. It's soooo nice to have long, pliable muscles, full of life giving oxygen. Bliss!

Misswim, I do intend to get into a regular crane pose someday, LE be damned!

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited September 2012

dogsandjogs   Scary what you went through, glad that you're okay.  Hope that the stress test shows that everything is fine.  Thanks for bringing our awareness to this.  

One hour of pilates reformer, and 20 minutes of jump board.  It's warm again here Frown was loving the cooler temps, I will run another day.   

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2012

Replacing electrolytes is no joke, why the Gatorade.  I carry Cliff Shot Blocks with me too.  And I use electorlyte replacers during cycling events.  Especially if hot, but you can lose fluid even at milder temps.  I once didn't finish an event because I got overheated and couldn't cool down.  This happened on Lime Kiln Road in NY.....felt as if I were in the kiln.

For everyone pushing on to new and better things....just so important.  Too much "conventional wisdom" out there not to stress your whatever.  Of course, you have to have some sense, but that would be true anyway.

It will be interesting to see how I do Sunday.  I did that ride before two years ago about three months post radiation.  I was still getting my cardio strength back, and walked a lot of hills.  This year, I am stronger than ever.  Plus, supposed to NOT be raining.  I am expecting a much easier ride.  I still remember the Cedar River Trail when I was waaaaaay over the 10 mph speed limit as desperate to get under some shelter at the rest stop.  At least, I wasn't overheated!!

Just weights/crunches and a walk today.  But think the walk will be along a cycling path near Lake Sammamish as have a meeting there later today.  I will get there early, and do the walk, plus a stop at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's for cheese and crackers which I promised to bring.

Back to work.  Just one project at the moment.  But more to come as a client I interviewed with back in April now has need for my services.  YAY!!!! - Claire

• A_FIGHTER
    A_FIGHTER Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2012

Claire_in_Seattle

Just wanted to share that I use something which is MUCH better than Gatorade. If interested email me and I'll give you details! 

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,855
    edited September 2012

Good evening all!

dogsandjogs: that sounds scary! Hope your BP is back to your normal.

Still enjoying our cooler, less humid weather. Walked/jogged at the park this evening. 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,534
    edited September 2012
    Another late night. Did FIRM Cardio Dance Party and a toning DVD.
  • hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited September 2012

Dogs that is scary, hope you are feeling better today.  Body Step class tonight and then stayed and did half a Combat class before my foot started acting up.  Today is the 4 year anniversary of my surgery, it seems like it was ages ago and yet it seems like it was yesterday.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2012

It's weird, isn't it? Once I read that after President Kennedy was assassinated, two of his advisers were talking, and one commented that they would never laugh again, the other (I believe it was Daniel Patrick Moynihan) replied, "Ah, we'll laugh again, but we'll never be young again." I sort of have that same feeling of innocence lost.......

• hbcheryl
    edited September 2012

Too true Ruth, I feel the same way.....

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited September 2012

Took an unplanned day off.  I was really fatigued after working on paperwork all morning and driving to the clinic for my blood draw.  I'm not worth much without a couple naps a day lately.

dogsandjogs, I'm glad you're ok.  Yeah, maybe a 2.5 hour power walk in 87 degrees was pushing it a little :-)

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2012

good morning ladies, I have today off work for follow-up appt with surgeon.  Will walk in a bit when I finish my cup of coffee.  Did get out early yesterday and walked for 45 minutes.  Logged 5.5 km = 3.42 miles for the day.

dogs&jogs, thanks for the reminder, hope you're feeling better today.

Hang in there, Ann, naps are good.

Cheryl & Ruth, we may have lost our innocence and yes we are older but we are wiser because we know how precious life really is.  Rock of Ages is going to be at the Overture Center in Madison the first week of December.  From the promo poster, it looks like the same cast we saw in Chicago.

Have a wonderful day my Sculpted Sisters!  ((hugs)) to all

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited September 2012

Dogs, so glad you're OK.  Ann - you're smart to listen to your body and take those naps when you need to. 

Yoga class last night after a summer layoff - hooray!  Wow, have I lost flexibility during the break! I was surprised how tight I felt during class, so I've got some work to do.  I added a bit of cardio by running to and from class.  The Rec Center is only a mile from my house and they let me use one of the lockers to store my yoga mat and blanket, so it's  a perfect opportunity to squeeze in a little extra exercise.  30 minutes weights/resistance this morning. 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited September 2012

So yesterday I went to the PT for evaluation - my complaints she says are consistent with pre-lymphedema, so she measured me for a sleeve to wear while exercising or air travel (which in my mind is the polar opposite of exercising!).  I know this is not something to mess around with, but I'm still a little skeptical about this sleeve thing.  She also gave me some exercises to do for the tightness in my arm, and is going to show me how to do some kind of massage to get fluid moving in there.

Been tending to my very sick kitty, so not getting to the gym - so easy to fall off the wagon!  I did do classical stretch for 10 minutes this morning and it felt great, and hope to get out for a walk at lunch today - beautiful weather here this week!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited September 2012

Pat - make sure she fits you for a gauntlet as well as a sleeve.  Just wearing a sleeve without a gauntlet can push fluid into the hand, and hand LE is very difficult to manage.  Sleeves should never be worn without a glove or gauntlet.  And you're right, LE is nothing to mess around with.  You want to keep at Stage 0 LE where you only have to take occasional preventative measures, like wearing compression and doing manual lymph drainage (the massage she's talking about).  You do not want it to progress to a later stage where you have to actively manage it on a daily basis.   

Ask about the Lebed exercises - they're a series of simple stretches, done slowly like tai chi, that are designed to move the lymphatic fluid along specific channels so it drains.  They're surprisingly effective when done regularly.  

I hope your kitty is better.  Getting meds into a cat is always a special challenge.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited September 2012

Thanks Natsfan - yes, I am getting a gauntlet too.  I'll ask her about lebed exercises on my next visit.

In addition to kitty meds, I've also had to feed him with a syringe.  But this morning he actually ate about 1/4 can all by himself in two sittings, so we might be turning a corner here - let's hope!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2012

hi all, just checking in.  Saw surgeon and all is well.  I have some bruises but no pain, the incisions look good, and best of all I get to peel off the dermabond.   I'm on exercise restriction for 10 more days so no yoga but gentle walking is OK.  He says the cyst on my ovary will resolve itself but was willing to order an ultrasound in 30 days.  So I go back in a month.

This morning's walk was 3.52 km = 2.12 mi.  Total for the day is 4.54 km = 2.82 mi.

• whaevah
    whaevah Member Posts: 282
    edited September 2012

Oh my, what a great group of ladies here! So encouraging and thoughtful:) This thread is one of my favs,  keeps me on track and hopeful.

Ruth...12 Taxol weekly..2 down 10 to go. If no delays I will be finished Nov20, then onto 5-6 weeks of rads.

Claire ...wow, I love your spirit and energy, great chivalry story!

missswim ...amazing pose, love your posts

pat01... I put my 2 cats on a raw food diet, they have never been sick since, plus their coats are so shiny. I buy the packets frozen at the petfood store.

Blurry vision today, had this with AC as well. My Oncologist says it is a SE of chemo and the steroids.  Will try the treadmill later today, I really hate this start/stop Frown

I love to exercise, bought a new bike last year and put some fun miles on it then. I also Rollerblade and love yoga... miss both. Soon...

~hugs~ to all...again thank you

• ruthbru
    edited September 2012

whaevah, a good friend of mine was on the very same treatment plan you are doing last year. AC knocked her for a loop, but she did really well with the Taxol & was able to get back into some exercising. You really will have something to celebrate this Thanksgiving.

I visited my dad and sick friend after school Cry, and it's my Book Club night Smile, so no exercise unless I squeeze in a little something now or when I come home (I plan to eat dessert & drink several glasses of wine.....that could make for an interesting exercise session.... I'd be loose anyway).

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2012

Whaevah- you are totally inspiring. When I was at the point you were at in ACT, I could barely get off the couch my RBC was so low, and I was in and out of the hospital getting blood transfusions. I worked out through the first 2 A/c and did not start again until the last Taxol. The nice thing is, as I know alot of these ladies will attest, is that the exercise REALLY helps you to bounce back post chemo. Do what you can, when you can, and know that we are all here for you! I remember when I lurked and these ladies were my biggest inspiration to start moving again, and when I finally did, they welcomed me with open arms and gave me the encouragement I needed but totally understood my limitations. It's a great, positive thread with ladies of all ages and stages.  I hope you'll stick with us for a long, long time.

I am SORE from the last 4 days. I did two challenging Baptiste hot yoga classes, the crazy two hour class on Sunday and then went to a 75 min vinyasa flow class last night. If I had to do one more chair pose or plank, I might cry. I pushed very hard. However for all the soreness, I am working through the SI joint injury that I got doing Les Mills Combat (Cherly, it bummed me out- one too high kick and I got a tear in a ligament near the SI!) and have awoken in no pain the last few days. Today is my day off from exercise. And I ate Pad Thai and choclate today, so I guess it is my day off from healthy eating.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2012

Ann....wanted to send you a sout out as well! You keep going girl! You are awesome!

• ruthbru
    edited September 2012

OK.....did 30 minutes of light toning with Denise. Now off to eat, drink and be merry!

• whaevah
    whaevah Member Posts: 282
    edited September 2012

For you ladies, with your encouragement; I laid down after my last post then really thought about it so....

I spy with my wonky eye

3.3 miles on my treadmill LaughingSmileCool

*pats myself on the back*   glorious , off to shower and cook a late dinner

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,855
    edited September 2012

Everyone is going so well!

Pushed mow a thick grassy yard for 1 hour today. Developed a nice sweat. 

• ruthbru
    edited September 2012

Pats on the back and high fives for all! Came home and finished off the last 15 minutes of the Denise Austin DVD.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2012

Off to bed in a few.  Am I ever beat!  Lots of deadlines, and last minute changes.

I did manage to get in my weights/crunches plus a walk.

Think I will be just fine for my major ride on Sunday.  Plus lower Lake Washington Loop on Saturday.

Plus more work......

For a bit of fun, am planning the Burlesque Alice in Wonderland for Friday evening with my "Taste and Cycle" crew.  I have seen this before and just a hoot (especially the Mad Hatter's Tea Party).  It's on Youtube if you want a peek. - Claire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7oiywEoPCM

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited September 2012

Thanks for the shout out misswim Smile

Walked for a full hour tonight.  The hubby started out with me and dropped out at 16 minutes.  Oh well I keep trying.  He has a friend at work who says his wife walks him every night.  That's a funny way to put it but so true.   Some of the menz need help with their healthy habits.

Last AC infusion tomorrow, so I'll be dragging a** for a week.

I want to put up a chinup/pullup bar out in the garage.   I'd like to see if I can work up to one real pullup some day.   Surely I can make a bit of progress before surgery. 

• hbcheryl
    edited September 2012

Badger nothing holds you down, whaevah you rock, Claire you are simply amazing. Ohhhh misswim, when you see those danged professionals they make it seem so easy to kick high - me I'm gonna take you out at the knee - that's as high as I can goLaughing that being said tonight I did a great Body Combat class.  I have been having so much trouble with my feet lately, ankle on my left and toe on my right and I have really good/new Nike and Addidas shoes but I've been wrapping my ankle and toe every day so tonight I dragged out an old pair of Easy Spirit walking shoes ahhhhh relief I could actually do the whole class without pain they felt so clunky on my feet as I'm so used to the new "lightweight" shoes but no pain after an hour of punching and kicking was wonderful.

I agree with Ruth - pats on the back and high fives for us all.

Edited to add:  Good luck tomorrow AnnKiss

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited September 2012

Wonderland, I like that you keep it real -- mowing counts --for sure! Cool

Did freestyle step class at the gym yesterday and realized on the drive over the gym I had forgotten to take my two gelcap ribose before setting off. Became a bit of a limp biscuit 20 minutes in and dialed back on intensity for the remainder of the class.  One of the joys of taking letrozole is delaing with mush brain. I'm not going to get started listing the reasons for my hatred of this daily tablet.  I promise.  Some day there will will be more available than slash, burn and poison. Yell

Yesterday, darling husband (DH) flew back from a business trip in Israel.  When he went through airport security in Tel Aviv, the uniformed woman who patted him down had a pink ribbon pinned to her shirt.  When finished with this airport officer, DH chatted with her about her pink ribbon, his wife in active recovery and told her about pinkwashing!  The pink ribboned officer officer smiled and told DH to pass on -- keep it up! Kiss

Dog walk today and physio later this morning.  I always feel great after physio.  It's working(!) as my left arm is working it's way all the way up and massage to the senstive, Diep hip-to-hip incisional scar helps greatly.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited September 2012
    (((Ann)))  Hugs for you on this last one today!Smile