Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2012

Went to a great yoga gathering last night- 2 hour intense practice, and then a wonderful post practice potluck party, it was such a wonderful night. We learned some pretty amazing asanas, several arm balances I have never done, and I got up into a headstand, something I have not done in months. We also tried (and I falied miserably the firs twenty times and then held it for 3.5 secs before falling on my nose) this pose, flyimg pigeon

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2012

I weenied out and only did 12 miles of cycling.  Very squally out there with sudden wind gusts.  So back and catching up on the work I didn't do.  I realized that I will most likely get the rest of the data on Monday, and need to be done with the shell of the report.  I am glad I made that decision.

Otherwise, a quiet evening.  May go out for a walk in a little while.  Glad I didn't get blown off my bicycle! - Claire

• nibbana
    nibbana Member Posts: 349
    edited November 2012

My work is getting calmed down so I can have more time to post here. I'm a little banged up, thumb hurts, wrists and rotator cuff clicks. Just fought off tennis elbow.

I can finally add five pounds to my ez curl bar, and I'm making a commitment to do short videos of 15-20 of yoga a day. If I can't find 15 minutes to do yoga, then I'm a loser! 

So that's it. Tomorrow is back and chest day, and more yoga. I'm thinking some nice restorative yoga.

• spicedlife
    spicedlife Member Posts: 79
    edited November 2012

Well, hi ladies!  I am going to post here even though I am not in the same league.  I started my hormone therapy and just finished phase 2 recon (got my nipples) and the doc said I can step up the exercise next week.  I so need to get back in shape.  I am 5'5" and weigh 170 pounds.  I  haven't been so inactive for a very long time.  Anyway, I am going to post everyday so that I can be accountable and get motivation from you! 

Thanks

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited November 2012

That Flying Pigeon pose would be a no-no for those with lymphedema or lymphedema risk, just saying.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited November 2012

hi ladies, welcome jennyrjd, and welcome back nibbana.

I started today with 45 minutes of AM yoga and plan to walk at least 5 miles today.

Happy Sunday everyone!

• misswim
    edited November 2012

I would agree Momine. I have been very lucky to have no issues thus far with lymhpadema, and I have a pretty advanced yoga practice. However, that pose was uncomfortable as can be for me with my other upper body challenges due to my bmx, and I will not be trying it again. If something is not enjoyable to me, or it is risky, I don't do it. And I don't encourage anyone to try advanced poses unless they have been practicing for a long time. I enjoy sharing when I can do something new though :)

Everyone is doing so great! Keep it up ladies! Hi Nibanna!

Badher- so close to 3,000!! You rock sister!

I am taking my DS and his two friends to an indoor climbing facility today and somehow I got talked into taking a belaying course. Lord help me!!!

• nibbana
    edited November 2012

misswim, I'm going to try a simple arm balance, like a crane pose. They say it's more finding the center of gravity than it is supreme arm strength.

• Momine
    edited November 2012

Misswim, of course. I just wanted to note it, in case someone felt adventurous ;)

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited November 2012

Welcome jennyrjd - this is the place to be.  Everyone (at every level of fitness) is so warm and encouraging here!

Claire, you crazy kid, ONLY 12 miles of cycling?  Just kidding! You rock.Cool

Misswim, flying pigeon looks amazing.  My yoga practice is not nearly that advanced.

Usual Sunday workout today:  8 mile run this morning, followed by bench press (100 lbs, YAY!) and shoulders at the gym.  Then coffee, Sunday paper, and yummy omelet!

• misswim
    edited November 2012

I think it is absolutley about finding your center of gravity. It took me MONTHS to get into crow/crane after surgery. It was about trying to find my center when the landscape of my body had been so altered. I still have a hard time holding it, it's just not a favorite for me. I will note that the teacher who showed us the flying pigeon is a 15 year anusara master and A MAN. With big, strong arms. It was not for me! But it was very cool to play at my edge, even for a second. I am prouder of my headstand/handstand practice than anything else. It's a mental thing, i.e. I am terrified of falling, but when I get into it, it's a proud moment.

Wish me luck ladies......off to try to climb walls with a gaggle of 13 year olds. Yikes!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2012

Misswim....walls sound safe compared to ice climbing.  You can imagine what happened to the wine bar bartender who tried that one!  He came back in a cast.   (No, he wasn't "drinking and climbing".)

Hoping to get in a "pumpkin pie warm up ride" where we go off in search of the best pie around.  Should be fun, but right now beyond DISMAL out.

I feel so underexercised this AM, but the great news is that I am where I need to be on the report I am putting together.  I still need some data to do the whole thing, but will be going into tomorrow with the bulk of the analysis finished.

As for trying new things, I err on the side of "go for it".  My take is that if something should happen, it most likely would have anyway, and there is effective treatment out there.  Plus the latest on lymphedema suggests that exercise is helpful in prevention.  You should also know that aerobic exercise does just fine in stimulating lymphatic activity.  I know this because I cycled with a drain.  So any of us running, cycling, swimming, skiing etc are already stressing the system.

This semi-invalid stuff just wasn't for me.  Not if I didn't need to go there.  Now, I am not going to do rock climbing, but more because I am terrified of something like that, not because of any physical limitations (well there is crappy vision).

One of the funny exercise moments was at the very end of Taxol.  This was after six AC chemos and 5 Taxol.  The interim oncologist asked me "How's your balance?"  I know he needed it for the study notes, but I couldn't resist.  I looked him in the eye and said "well, I cycled 30 miles yesterday".

Now to check the weather.  I think I will go to the meet-up place anyway.  Just be prepared for a major soaking, and do ~25 miles.  It's not as windy today, and the trail should be relatively empty.  Wonder why!!! - Claire

• nibbana
    edited November 2012

I like the way you think Claire. I refuse to give up my newfound yoga practice, and if my arm awells, my arm swells and that's just the way it is.

Right now my bicep is surround by gooey, mushy lymph fluid, but I'm still doing my back and chest workout later today.

Yeah, hell with this invalid stuff, life is for living!

• Momine
    edited November 2012

I did not mean to suggest that anyone should become an invalid. I exercise every day, including weight training, but I wear a sleeve when I do it and use small weights. I had swelling in the arm during treatment and it took 6 months of PT and daily massage to get it down. I was lucky. It is not always that easy to get it under control. I do not consider myself an invalid, but I am careful.

• misswim
    edited November 2012

Momine, I think your words of caution were important and totally appropriate. I think whatever level any of us is exercising at is just right for us at that time, and frankly, the fact that we are so concerned about physical fitness should be commended after all we have been through. Yoga is my love, and I excel at it, but I could never cycle the miles Claire does or run like many of you. I still think its amazing that each of does the things we do. I support you all, from the beginning exercisers to marathon runners! Go us, we are amazing women!

• Momine
    edited November 2012

Swim, thanks. I think exercise is extremely important, but I also want everyone to stay safe.

• nibbana
    edited November 2012

I just get defiant when I come across a limitation. That's just me. I'm determined to conquer it and I'll pour every ounce of my being into it. 

So my flabby arm can just wait a minute, till I'm done lifting.

• Momine
    edited November 2012

Nibbana, I understand, lol, but take care of yourself.

• spicedlife
    edited November 2012

3495 steps.  now i am gonna do a firm tape (thanks Ruthbru)!Cool

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,535
    edited November 2012

Hi Jenny! Great to see that you have been lured over here!! What FIRM tape did you do? I did a 30 minute Sculpt-ilates (the FIRM version of Pilates) this morning & walked this afternoon, as it was mild and sunny. We also put up the Christmas lights (actually DH put up the lights while I stood by giving moral support Wink). 

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2012

On the topic of staying safe, I weenied out of my ride today.  It was up a nasty hill on a wet, busy road, and just not fun.  So I begged off at that stage.  Things weren't going to get any better.

So when I got to the bottom, I went back to the Sammamish River Trail which was nearly deserted.  Most of the rain held off until the very end, or the last half hour or so.  I ended up cycling 28 miles so feel exercised again.

I thought the late fall colors on a wet day were just stunning.  Suspect I am in a distinct minority here.

And of course, nothing like a wet ride to really appreciate a HOT BATH.

The "semi-invalid" comment had nothing to do with the ladies here.  It referes to someone I have known for years who had quite minor surgery, and feels she can't do that much anymore.  So she has downshifted her entire life.

Good part of the ride is that I finally know how some of the Woodinville roads fit together.  But I also learned that I want no part of seeing exciting scenes such as the 405 on-ramps when I can be cycling past fields of winter vegetables.  I even had a major treat (better than pie!) which was a tree-ripened Golden Delicious apple from someone's yard.  It had rolled next to the trail, so I wiped off the mud and ate it.

Plus my last single blackberry of the season.  I discovered a new trail too which I explored for a short way.  Need to back and figure out where it goes, and how far.

So a wonderful afternoon, even if no pie......yet! - Claire

• spicedlife
    edited November 2012

I did 12 minutes of the Firm total body light.  I used to do the firm dvds all the time.  I called candice bergman the pain lady! ( it was a compliment thought!)  Tomorrow I will walk in the am and then do firm for 20 mins.     What is your favorite the Firm video Ruth?

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,535
    edited November 2012

Oh, that is a hard question, as I have tapes that date back to the days when you could see a microphone dangling down from the ceiling! Of the newer ones, my favorites are: the 500 calorie workout, get chisel'd, and a DVD called Total Body Makeover that has four different 30 minute workouts; the pilates I mentioned, two toning and one cardio workout. Very fun!

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited November 2012

Welcome jennyrjd!  

Well I had my couple of post-Taxol draggy days this weekend.  Skipped exercise yesterday except for a bit of dancing and today really had to force myself to go walk.  But then walked an hour which energized me enough to do some hoop practice.

I have been wondering about the lymphedema avoidance factors and how I'll do with that.  Do you ladies wear the sleeve/gauntlet when you exercise?

• Momine
    edited November 2012

Claire, I hear you. I am very determined to live my life as normally as possible, but I also really don't want to have the LE become a chronic problem (it flares regularly, but in a very minor way for now). It has led to some amusing adjustments and compromises. For example, I still walk my dog, but I attach the leash to a belt. Even on the side where they only took the sentinel node, I get swelling in the armpit if the dog yanks too much, so I am better off avoiding that.

Exercise is definitely helpful. Better muscletone helps move the lymph fluid around. Also, if you are stronger, you are less likely to make a bad move that makes the arm flare. From what I read, it seemed that slow and steady wins the game, so I am doing light, light weight work about every other day and slowly increasing the resistance.

As for sleeves, yes, I wear a sleeve and gauntlet when I work out, when I do housework, when it is hot, when I fly etc. It means that during the summer, I basically wore the sleeve every day, all day. Now that the weather is cooler, I usually only wear it for working out or if I feel it acting up. Before you get visible swelling, you get a prickly pain and a feeling of fullness. If you wear a sleeve to get it under control as soon as you feel that, you can avoid having it swell up further (usually).

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited November 2012

hi ladies, well it took the steps from doing loads of laundry and making batches of choc chip cookies, added to a nice long walk yesterday, but I got in 8.05 km = 5 miles for the day.  20 to go!

I love reading misswim's descriptions of yoga poses but am nowhere near her level.  I do a lot of breathing and stretching, twists and balance poses, but no head-stands or hand-stands. 

Hope everyone has a healthy, productive week ahead!  ((hugs)) to all

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited November 2012

Just in from the gym.  Ran 20 minutes speed intervals on the treadmill (YUCK) followed by back and tris.  And some nice stretching.  Tonight will be a gentle, easy yoga class.

Still struggling to do even one pullup (not that I could do many before surgery) - I just feel too strong a pull in my stomach area, which is my body's way of saying "not yet."

Time to shower and head off to work.  Have a good one, all . . .

• nibbana
    edited November 2012

Did back and chest workout, added 5 pounds to my ez curl bar. Did 35 minutes yin yoga sequence on myyogaonline.  Yin yoga is nice and mellow, opens up the connective tissue.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited November 2012

Lots to catch up on after a few days away!  Sculpt and schlep with my roll suitcase this morning, to get home.  

It doesn't seem possible but the fall colors are even more beautiful in Budapest right now - coming back from the airport there were several streets lined with gorgeous bright yellow trees, must get pictures before it's over.  

Hope that everybody is having a good start to the week.   

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited November 2012

Momine - you are so right!

Misswim - You are advanced and hope the climbing went well! If I could get my 13 year old off the xbox to climb a wall - I'd jump for joy! Speking of which- welcome home JoyWink  

Ginger - Thanks for realting on the frozen shoulder and have a ortho consult for that injection next Monday.

Jennyrjd - Welcome and one can't help but feel like getting up and going when reading this thread.

Nibbana - You go girl and good to read you.

Today, body step and pilates at the gym, then in the wood dog walk and now dark, dark, dark and need to get dinner going. 

Have a great start to the week everyone!

LB,x