Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited January 2013

I'm like Claire, exercised throughout chemo and rads. Also am lucky to have no lymphedema, although I am always on the lookout for swelling as it has happened two or three times. Massaging helped bring it back down.

More new songs for Zumba (my trainers below). I love it!

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited January 2013

Hour of Exhale cardio DVD - whoa - did the entire ab series and I will be feeling it tomorrow!  I feel like I'm right on the edge of catching something - hopefully can stave it off with extra sleep and some vitamins!  

cocobean  I echo Mary's post on LE - she always has such good LE advice and very well written.  I worked gradually into upper body strength training.  I experience mild truncal LE at times, and manage it pretty well by doing manual lymphatic drainage technique.  Hopefully you will avoid LE, but it's good to know the precautions ahead of time.  

heidihill  Cute instructors!  Are those moves part of what you do in class?  Surprised

LilacBlue  Wishing you well today  (hugs)

LuvLuLu  I wish I could hibernate like a bear through the cold winter months!  

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited January 2013

The diep II surgery went really, really well today. My highly skilled plastic surgeon has got it spot on and this has made me one happy bunny. It's been a long haul and the hour and half drive at 5am on the M25 road works this morning in the fog, at bumper to bumper was the most difficult part.

I've not come down with anesthesia blues (yet) from the two hour surgery although my back seat driving - home was heightened, so perhaps that is it? Husband Roy has been a star was with me most the day as he got our son off to school and took the train to East Grinstead and drove me home. We got back at 5:45 without any problems.

Lying on the couch relatively pain free and ready to take a little ibuprofen to get ahead of it. Thank you ladies for YOUR loving support that carried me through today.

LB, x

• Cocobean
    Cocobean Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2013

Thank you so much for all the great information. I met with a LE physical therapist after my surgery, but that was way back in the summer. I got fitted for a sleeve and got one. I wasn't able to really work out because of some delayed healing issues and then chemo...I walked throughout everything, but I am used t being more physically active.

But today I went to the gym for the first time in 6 months! It was awesome :) taking it very slow and steady, but did 20 min elliptical and 30 min on a bike.

I didn't wear my sleeve, but I think I will meet with the therapist again and get some direction/information on what I need to do now that I am trying to get back to the gym...especially since I would eventually like to strength training again.

Thanks again, looking forward to posting here more!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited January 2013

Glad your surgery went well, Lilac!

• ruthbru
    edited January 2013

Here is an old post of mine. It might have some helpful tips for the new ladies:

I had 11 lymph nodes removed, so this (LE) has always been an area of real concern and mindfulness for me. When I had my surgery, there was no one around here to go to for advice, so I did a lot of studying on my own. Ladies who have been around for awhile, feel free to skip, add your suggestions, or correct me if I'm wrong.

First, I think that whether or not you are prone to LE has mostly to do with how your lymph system handles trauma. I would say most cases (unless you are in a horrible accident or are doing really extreme activities) are neither through any virtue or fault of your own; just a matter of good or bad ‘luck'.

That being said, there are many ‘little' things that we can do that may reduce the risk of developing LE or minimize flares (these are for people with SNB too):

• No BP, IVs, needles, shots etc. in that arm....consider getting a medical ID bracelet (to wear when traveling anyway) check out www.creativemedicalid.com/ for beautiful jewelry type IDs
    • Wear gloves when doing yard work, gardening etc.
    • Wear sunscreen when out in the sun, bug spray when out with the bugs
    • If you get a cut, scrap, bite...wash it with soap/water and slap on a bandage. If you see any sign of infection, get to the Dr. & on antibiotics ASAP
    • Carry your purse on the other side, also be careful when hauling around anything heavy, switch arms when dragging luggage etc. (at first I carried everything on the 'good' side but wonder if that contributed to me getting a hernia, now I swtich off)
    • No saunas (I also avoid manicures and massages)
    • Keep a healthy weight
    • Keep hydrated, limit alcohol
    • Don't wear tight rings, watches, bracelets on that arm
    • When exercising that arm; start slowly, take your time...build up weights slowly...don't skip levels...don't do too many reps in one session
    • Mix up your exercises, don't work the same muscle groups every day, you may want to work with an experienced trainer (or PT) to help you construct a balanced program
    • One thing I do want to add; after my surgery I was so scared to start doing upper body. Neither my surgeon nor my oncologist could give me any good solid advice, so I talked to my GP. What he said was that I DID want to exercise my upper body, that it was important to do so as it would actually build up the lymph system, and although, of course, I should be careful and notice if my arm felt heavy/swollen etc. that I shouldn't be afraid to have it feel a little sore...because anytime you exercise a part of your body that you haven't been using, of course, it will feel sore. That made sense to me, and gave me ‘permission' to get moving.
  • marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited January 2013

Sneaky, yes, yay for snowshoeing. We just got an invite to spend the weekend with friends at Whistler so plan to go to Callaghan on the way or on the way back to snowshoe. I also got a hike in to Whyte Lake in last week.

Taxol #3 yesterday so only one more. I went to yoga this AM and did my 5 k hike just now. Steroids are good for energy I suppose. Red cheeks too so I look healthy.

• Sneakychiquita
    Sneakychiquita Member Posts: 110
    edited January 2013

Awesome job, Marian.  Sounds like you're back on board with the exercise since I last saw you.  

Skiers & Boarders - I meant to just keep track of the B4BC group if you're interested in future retreats.  They say they'll be adding to their list of events over time.  I think the only one that you could still get into that is posted right now is the one at Mammoth in the spring.  Should be another retreat in British Columbia added to the list for this year too!

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited January 2013

LilacBlue, congratulations on your surgery.  Glad it went well.

Marianelizabeth, yes those steroids are energy boosters.  I loved everything about them except the acne :-(

Claire, thanks for the encouragement re eyebrows.  I can hardly wait!  But you're right, I've noticed my fake makeup brows have a nicer shape than my prior non-madeup ones, so I'm going to keep shaping them with makeup.

Well I'm going to impose a little discipline on my exercise regimen.  I'm going to do a 30/30 challenge, that's 30 minutes of hooping for 30 days straight.  I timed myself tonight and noticed my typical session is only about 20 minutes, so this will be a step up.  I walk afterward quite a bit but I'm not putting goals on that yet.  Today was day 1, actually did 35 minutes and am now out for a walk.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2013

Snowed a couple inches today, came home a shoveled (the wind chill was 17 below, so that was enough outdoor activity for me!). I could not stand to go back on the treadmill again, so did a couple different tapes; 30 minute FIRM Calorie Killer & Denise Austin Trim Walk. It was a crabby 'lets just get this out of the way' kind of exercise day............

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2013

hi ladies and welcome dmag62, sneakychiquita, and cocobean.

LilacBlue, thanks for checking in, glad surgery went well.

Been walking but haven't posted for a few days.

Logged 17.68 km = 10.99 miles since here last.

• Linda-Ranching-in-the-mTns
    Linda-Ranching-in-the-mTns Member Posts: 96
    edited January 2013

Only got in a short walk today -- one mile... and then it was dark. I could have gone out earlier, but was cleaning/organizing house like a mad-woman. (The suggestion to just make sure the guys have beer and a decent place to sleep... Yes -- of course your are right, but this is the first of Les's family to visit since I moved in, so I want the house to look really nice. :)

I am tracking my calories and workouts through LiveStrong.com... and since I didn't walk much, I over-ate calories... so I dug out my old gazelle glider and did 15 minutes on it -- worked some very different muscles!

I look forward to seeing how this feels in the morning...

Tomorrow I drive 10.5 hours to Tucson to visit my sister -- wish me luck avioding 'travel foods'!

Linda

• badger
    edited January 2013

Linda, good luck and Godspeed - safe travels!

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited January 2013

30 minute walk and 20 minutes on the treadmill.  Standing all day at work had my lower back screaming, so cut the c25k short!!  Did not want to injure myself, and much better now!

Now to not eat the calories that I do burn off with excercising!

• Sneakychiquita
    Sneakychiquita Member Posts: 110
    edited January 2013

Linda - When I have long drives to do I always pack fruit and pre-cut veggies for when the munchies hit.  There's something about driving long hauls that makes me want to eat non-stop... probably helps me to stay awake at the wheel.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2013

Welcome to all the new ladies. Tonight was my crazy spin class and last night I drove 45 miles to do the new release Body Jam class and it turned out to be mostly hip hop I looked absolutely ridiculous jumping around like a fool but if Lady Gaga needs a 62 year back up dancer then I’m her girlTongue Out.

Lilac so glad all went well today and I wish you a speedy recovery. Linda have a safe journey and enjoy the visit with your sister. MaryLouise glad you listened to your body, you don’t need to injure yourself. Ann tonight as our spin instructor was pushing us she said we all need to "get out of our comfort zones" push just a little bit more. Awww Ruth we all have those days, in fact last night I decided I was too old to be bopping around looking like an idiot and then I got a message on facebook from one of the girls who led the class and she posted "you are awesome Cheryl" my perspective totally changed.  Heidi/Badger glad to see you I was starting to get worried.....

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited January 2013

Finally got to a Body Jam class, my New Year's resolution. Everyone had warned me it would be much tougher than Zumba. I made it through the class but I think I need to buy a Camelbak as there are not enough breaks. Hats off to you, Cheryl! I definitely am the oldest (at 55) in that class. The instructor kept asking me if I was OK.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited January 2013

I jut got Les Mills Combat home program today. Did 45 Combat Extreme. Holy cow- I think I found my soulmate cardio program. So fun!!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited January 2013

About the LE, I agree that exercise is helpful, as someone's GP had pointed out. 

At first I was told NO exercise, ever, which seemed really counter-intuitive. Muscles help move the lymph fluid around, so better muscle tone should logically be helpful.

I have very mild LE, i.e. initial swelling that receded with PT. It acts up now and then, but I can feel it long before it is visible and take steps to clamp down on it.

After 6 months of regular, careful workouts with tiny weights I am definitely stronger and I can do far more before the arm acts up. I also believe that being stronger protects against trauma that could trigger lymphedema.

• sonson
    sonson Member Posts: 50
    edited January 2013

I did Zumba with the PS3 last night.  I have to say it's so much easier than doing it at the gym with an instructor, but I'm glad I did it at home because my radiated side is not ready for all those arm movements so I modified...a lot!  Still got my heart rate up though by moving and jumping so all is good.  I really need to get to the gym to try out the spin classes.  At least there's no arm movement!

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited January 2013

Did a little classical stretch this morning, and hope for a walk at lunch.  Skipping spinning this evening, I have a busy night and an errand to run after work.  Really need to start fitting some upper body work into my daily routine, but so far I'm not finding that groove.

• lilacblue
    edited January 2013

Hi and good to read all are going in many active directions. I've not experienced LE and have great empathy for those who deal with it.

I'm still feeling good and not too sore on my sides for left breast. Quite a bit of graft was removed from under my left arm. I feel like I've really turned a corner on recovery, looking and feeling less disfigured.  As my Dr. as was measuring and marking me up before surgery and I let him know how difficult the adjustment of living with this bulky breast has been. No doubt this BMX got me in touch with how much my breasts are linked with my femininity and sexuality, let alone long term cancer-free health.

Anyway, two weeks of not working out for me so tomorrow a long walk through the Heath.  We may have snow tonight, so I'll see what it looks like in the morning. 

Heidi - That is quite a herkie jump your two male instructors have got going.Laughing

LB, x

• fmakj
    edited January 2013

35 minute walk this morning and the 30 day shred program..... feeling a difference already!  Yay!!

Sorry for posting so little.  I lost my Ipod a few weeks ago, and find it hard to get on the computer, so have to stop by for a quick posting!!  Hope all are well!!

• badger
    edited January 2013

hi ladies, thanks Cheryl for worrying about me.  Been super-busy, trying to ride the crest of the wave of work that's washed over me lately.  I suppose that's a good problem to have but it can be stressful.  Been doing Sunflowers & Moonflowers (yoga poses) while waiting for the kettle to boil, to start my day on a positive note. 

Big meeting today so no noon walk, only logged 3.9 km = 2.43 miles for the day. 

• ruthbru
    edited January 2013

FIRM Cardio Dance Party & something called Pilates Challenge, both fun workouts. We are all certainly AWESOME, if I do say so myself Cool!

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited January 2013

Got a walk in yesterday at lunch, and some classical stretch this morning.  So many temptations coming up this weekend, work lunch today, retirement party tonight, birthday dinner  for friends out tomorrow, and of course football party at my house Sunday, as we watch the Patriots win the AFC championship (sorry ravens fans Innocent ), then greek cooking class Monday night - will need to be extra careful about food and drink intake this weekend, and add some extra exercise.

• lilacblue
    edited January 2013

Been snowing most the day so I've been in my new flannel pj's all day relaxing and reading.  Still feeling relatively pain free, slighly sore and swollen but not in any actual pain.  I'd like to get more active but feel it's best I lie low for now and let nature do what it does best - heal.

Have a good weekend everyone!

LB, x

• sonson
    sonson Member Posts: 50
    edited January 2013

I hope you heal quickly LilacBlue.

Went to physical therapy again yesterday so I count that as exercise.  Fridays are my day off so I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2013

I just firmed up skiing plans for the weekend.  Right now, velcroed to my chair catching up on paid work.

Hoping for a real walk later today Laughing  

Feel better, LilacBlue.  Do you have a nice warm fire?   When I had the flu, I found my really comfy clothes to mope about in.  Glad for no pain. - Claire

• fmakj
    edited January 2013

So far, 35 min. walk this morning.  Just don't feel like doing anything! Have been really good for the past couple days though! Smile

Supposed to be getting some snow tonight, so might have to add shovel and sculpt to my plans!