Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited January 2013

Sneaky, hope that chemo fog is lifting just as our outside fog did today. Red. Mtn. not far off for you now!

I snowshoed again today this time to Dog Mtn. with friends who are younger and way fitter but they were happy to go. We took an hour each way and I had to go slow on the uphills. Yoga late this afternoon and I am exhausted tonight. May take it easy now until last Taxol on Tuesday.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2013

Ruth.....unfortunately I DO remember the end of my colonoscopy.  I remember seeing the "perfect" image of my innards.  I remember my discussion with my doctor about how I didn't need another for 10 years.

I also remember the drive home by way of the Sports Barn to pick up the x-country skis and bindings I still use.  I remember REALLY NEEDING their restroom.

I think I was fine by mid afternoon.  But I wouldn't recommend doing an errand on the way home.

My internist tells me that there may be a better way soon.  Here's hoping.

However, all of this beats the alternative.

Still sore from my ski, but did do my weekday minimum exercise.  Opera tomorrow night.  At least I won vs Office 2010 and got my work out.  Really, really a major victory. - Claire

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2013

Ruth, Mary Louise, Pat brrrr hope you all stay warm.  Claire I know exactly how you feel, I did a "favor" for someone today working on their excel spreadsheet, of course it's a charity and they've had "volunteers" with their fingers in the pie, sheesh I worked 4 hours and then discovered somehow they had different people at the same address and they'd cut and pasted all throughout and just made and absolute mess of the file.

Did Body Step tonight and half a Combat class.  Lilac it was the a release that was very athletic actually the whole release was more like Body Attack of course I did everything low option but still got a good sweat going.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited January 2013

LOL, Ruth!  CHeryl, no Sh'bam at my gym. But I really want to try out Body Combat, Spinning and the other classes now that I know I can get through them somehow.

T-bow workout in the morning, Zumba in the evening.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited January 2013

Glad the colonoscopy ended well, Ruth.  Badger - I'll have to remember that recommendation to taper off food a day early for my next one.  All you people in the Upper Midwest - please keep your %#$#% wintry cold weather to yourselves!! It was 10 degrees this morning - we're not used to that out here.  Yikes!!!  Cheryl - I hear you about people making a mess of Excel and other Office products.  I'm in IT so I'm the one they call on to fix stuff.  Holy moley!!!  My most un-favorite is in Word when they use the space bar instead of the tab key or tables for spacing, then they wonder why the formatting gets screwed up everytime they change something.   Did you ever use WordPerfect?  I miss RevealCodes - that made trouble-shooting a snap.  The Word version of that (Show/Hide) leaves something to be desired. 

Yesterday was my stretch day, so did a yoga/stretch DVD in the morning, then did about half an hour on the foam roller stretching out my IT bands and doing some other work.  Today is cross-training day, so 30 minutes elliptical. 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited January 2013

Got to spinning last night and had a great workout, so I'm going again tonight!  Classical stretch this morning - my hip has been bothering me, also my back, need to do some IT stretches and crunches.  It's COLD here, so skipping a walk at lunch.

Adey (and any other of you C25K people) - if you run on a treadmill, what speeds do you have walking and jogging set to?

After our colonoscopies, my hubby and I always go out to breakfast.  One is pleasantly numb but hungry, and the other gets a good chuckle!

• Cocobean
    Cocobean Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2013

Ruth- glad to glad it went well and you are doing ok.

Did 30 minutes of light yoga yesterday. Heading off to get my first Herceptin only infusion today, sooo happy no more chemo! Hoping there are no SEs and may be able to squeeze in a visit to the gym in the pm.

Stay warm ladies :)

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited January 2013

As colon cancer is mostly preventable by having regular checks....it is well worth the inconvenience!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited January 2013

1/2 hour walk and 15 minutes of yoga.  I bought the Rodney Yee am/pm dvd someone here reccommended.  So, thanks!  It's new to me so I only did the 15 min morning introduction.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,855
    edited January 2013

Cocobean: Hope your Herceptin infusion was uneventful for you today.

Did 2 miles with Leslie Sansone CD today.

Stay warm everyone!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited January 2013

I like visiting Leslie!  (c:

• Cocobean
    edited January 2013

No workout for me today, went in for Herceptin infusion, mentioned to my MO that my ring was kinda tight on both hands, unusual because it's usually loose when it's really cold out..got checked out and MO says I have developed slight LE, very bummed. Going to LE PT on Friday morning, lots of questions for her.. hoping for some help and direction because I am ready to keep working on working out. BTW it was great to go there and not have to get chemo :)

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited January 2013

Glad you are getting it checked out right away, Cocobean. I remember being so happy when I could go to the 'radiation side' of the clinic, instead of the 'chemo side'!!

30 minutes on the treadmill & 45 minutes of toning with Denise.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited January 2013

Lots and lots of yoga. Hoping all are well. It's -3 here. I can't get put from under my blanket today!!

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited January 2013

Get OUT from my under my  blanket...... ugh, auto correct

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2013

hi ladies and welcome odie16.  10.87 km = 6.75 miles walked yesterday & today.

Yes the cold is here, it was minus 8 this morning.  Actual temp, not wind chill.  Needless to say, I have not been walking outdoors.  Hey Ruth, at least we don't live in Siberia!

Mary, I saw the pic of a million people on the National Mall for the inaug.  Were you there?

Adey, that was my rec for the Rodney Yee DVD, glad you like it.  The PM segment with Patricia Walden is good but I really like the AM segment with him.  Loooove his voice during relaxation, when he says, "surrender to the earth."  OK!  (melting)

Cheryl, of course I used red wine in the recipe instead of red wine vinegar. Wink  Unlike a white, which can stay in the 'fridge for a while, once you open a red, it needs to be consumed. 

Claire, yummy wine alert: Sangiovese Di Toscana IGT

Nice to see everyone staying as active as possible, all things considered.  Smile

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited January 2013

Pat01 - When doing the C25K, I usually walk at 3.5 and jog at 4.5.  It works for me, and some days I adjust between 4.2 - 4.6 for jogging according to my energy levels. 

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2013

Mary sure did use Word Perfect, I honestly think the developers have never worked in a "real world" office. Coco sorry to hear that LE has flared but good to know that your doc is on top of it. You just stay put under that blanket Misswim. 

Spin tonight, I had to sit a couple of times in the jumps as I was short of breath just getting over a bit of a cold.

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited January 2013

OK, it's been in the single digits here w/a wind chill but I consider myself a "hardy New Englander" - had my riding lesson last night, always outside, bone chilling but I was dressed for it.  The instructor suggested we ride bareback because it's much warmer.  This was a first for me, but I loved it!  You get all of the horse's body heat and you can feel his muscles rippling beneath you!  We just kept it at a walk and easy trot.  But I can feel it today in my inner thighs and core!

This morning, single digits still, my running partner is away in sunny FL, so I wasn't feeling so "hardy" without her at 5 AM - off to the gym instead for 45 minutes on the elliptical, then went and did my food shopping (groceries & sculpt???).  Now I need a shower and off to work I go.

Seize the day, all . . .

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited January 2013

No, Badger - didn't make it to the Inauguration.  Entered the lottery for tickets the Ball, but didn't get in - just as well as I have no formal dress so I would have had to buy one.  Cheryl - missed BL this week, but read the White Team is down to 1.  Can you imagine having Jillian as your personal trainer focused solely on you?  Great but really frightening, too.  Surprised  It'll be On Demand in another week or so and I want to catch it - I've been to that minor league ballpark where they work out with the boy from Maryland many many times - I even threw out a first pitch there before a game one time!

Still cold here - in the teens - but nothing like you Midwesterners and New Englanders are getting.  Stay warm ladies!!!  About an inch of snow fell overnight and with the cold temps it was a light fluffy sparkling snow - the sun's out now and it's beautiful!

Strength training on the schedule today, so did half an hour this morning.  30 minute run scheduled for tonight - needless to say I will be doing it inside on a dreadmill!  As for what speed I set it at, I'm a slow runner so I'll start with 4.2 for the first 5 minutes or so to get going, then kick it up to 4.5 for another few minutes, then up to 5.0 for the rest of the time.  If I'm feeling really good I might kick it up a few notches for the last minute or so, but that doesn't always happen.  There's a 5 minute cool down already programmed into the dreadmill, so it's really a 30 minute run plus a 5 minute cool down where it kicks down .5 each minute.  

Stay warm everyone!

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited January 2013

Thanks for the speed reccommendations fmajk.  I'm going to pick up C25K from the beginning in a couple of weeks, after our vacation.

No minus temps here, but 2 degrees this morning - yikes! So inside activities for me.  Went to spin last night - I had been doing the beginning spin class on Tuesdays and Thursdays for about 6 weeks, but Thursdays are usually a bad day for me to get to the gym, so I decided to try the non-beginners spin class last night - yowsa, just when you think you can't do anything new on a bike, along comes Kim with her killer moves.  Much more intense than the beginner class, but I kept up best I could, and it's such a great workout. Tried to do an ab routine on tv on demand last night, but too much planking and feeling a little swelling so I passed.  But did get to do classical stretch this morning.

• nicole503
    nicole503 Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2013

Heading to the gym for a light date with the treadmill and then off to the toxic recliner for AC #3.  It helps both my mood and my body to get in some light exercise before treatment.  I have worked hard to accept that "exercise" needs to be a scaled back (easier, softer, shorter) version of what it was before chemo and that's okay.  I hope that if I can honor my body through the valley of chemo, then when I come out on the other side it's natural resiliency will kick in and I will be able to return to a joyful relationship with something a lot more energetic and fun!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited January 2013

Nicole, I think that is a very good way of looking at it.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2013

It's interesting.  I remember dragging butt during my walks when on chemo.  Then I would see someone really bent, or disabled, and realized that I would soon be just fine.  They were never going to get well again.  It was really humbling.

My exercise yesterday was walking to see Cerentola (Cinderella) at Seattle Opera last night which was great fun.  Plus weights/crunches, some done during a webinar I attended.

A bit easier a day today which means catchup.  I am seeing a friend for coffee sometime midday.

What isn't exercised right now is my vacuum cleaner.  Think time to take care of that one. - Claire

• liv-
    liv- Member Posts: 272
    edited January 2013

wonderful day apart from the brain scan but straight after that had the best roll with loads of avocado, little winzzzi teeni bit of cheese, onion, capsicum, egg, beetroot, lettuce and tomato roll, best roll ive had in ages, deluxe and with a pot of teas and with my gorgeous mother...

then............................

power walked for 1 hour, was bliss, not a cloud in the sky and my music was blaring on my headset, then 1 whole hour of yoga, cannot believe how hard yoga is. 

determined that i will be like the others in the class in 6 months, there only amateur's but they do it so well.

exercise with music frees me! yeah>>

xx

sound like a nutter but thats how i feel and i dont mind being a nutter, nutter with cancer.

• liv-
    liv- Member Posts: 272
    edited January 2013

claire you are such a blast and your attitude is great and i can relate to exactly as you put it 'humbling'

every day where i power walk there is this couple and the wife has had a stroke, completely paralysed down the whole of her left side, cant walk at all.  he wraps his arms around, hers around his neck and he almost drags her around the entire oval which takes me full speed pumping it out 50-55 minutes.

on her good foot she tries to walk a bit with so much effort put in...admiration at its best..salute..

found it so inspirational and yep makes even having cancer look lame and makes me goosebumpy and so humble.

you rock girl.

xx

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited January 2013

Coco, that's crummy about the LE but hopefully they can get it under control.

LuvLuLu, when you said "riding" I envisioned cycling until the part about rippling muscles and body heat.  Now that sounds pretty cool on a cold day!

I hear you on the new respect for elderly and disabled.  If they're walking around or even being wheeled around and upright and alert I figure they're doing pretty good!  Imagine all the folks that are completely house bound and dependent on round the clock care.  Makes me feel very fortunate indeed.  Any day I can drive myself to do errands, talk to people, eat and drink and even exercise, I am doing fantastic!

I walked about 30 minutes last night until my surgery site really started hurting.  It took longer to hurt than last time though.  I really miss hoop dancing!  I can still hoop around the waist and hips, but that's it.  But I'm finally able to hold my left arm up in something other than T Rex position.  Just no off-body moves or chest or shoulder hooping :-(

• Cocobean
    edited January 2013

20 minutes on elliptical, 20 on bike, 10 on treadmill....good news I feel just bit stronger than I did last week...gives me hope that what people say is true...it's gets better.

Bright and early appt with LE therapist tomorrow at 7 am, but looking forward to actually speaking to someone about it...I drove myself crazy looking up info online.

• Sneakychiquita
    Sneakychiquita Member Posts: 110
    edited January 2013

I was bedridden for 3 days following AC #4.  Couldn't even hold my head up without getting so lightheaded that passing out was likely.  But finally jogged for 30 minutes yesterday at a pace that was barely quicker than a slow walk.  I cried the whole way, wondering if I'd ever fully recover.  Fingers crossed there's a bit more juice in the body for today's jog.  

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited January 2013

Sneaky, don't despair.  AC is temporary.  My first couple weeks after every one I felt like I was brain damaged and would never function normally again.  But it passes.  Congratulations on a 30 minute jog.  I hope you have a little more energy today.