Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited February 2013

Heehee on the spikey hiking shoes!  I would have done better on the trail with stilettos, I think!  Tongue Out  Ordered a pair of Icebug running shoes, can't wait til they get here!

badger  Good luck to you on your appt!  LilacBlue  Great minds think alike!   wonderland  Glad to hear good the news.   Carrol   A gentle nudge to get moving!  

Day off today from everything, felt great after a busy week.  Fighting a slight cold and it was a rainy day today, got in a long luxurious nap on the sofa - ahhhh.   

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2013

hi all, did a round of Shop & Sculpt at K-Mart for hh goods and the market for groceries.

Sticking with walking as I don't want to get my pulse up too high as I fight the infection.

Is that an excuse?  IDK but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  6.15 km = 3.82 mi.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2013

One of the great things about skiing is that you get to escape the fog, and see amazing sights.  But I had to climb 5k on my skis to get up on top of the world.  Slightly icy ski down, so took it slow.  But just had to share this. - Claire

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited February 2013

Beautiful, thanks!

I worked at school all morning, then DH and I, who have been car shopping, test drove a nice Ford Fushion, then grocery shopped, then 30 minutes on the treadmill, a FIRM sculpt DVD, and then off to watch high school basketball. The girls won a close one, but the boys lost by 25....scoring a total of 6 points in the second half. Yikes! Our Godson plays on the team, so we felt it was our painful duty stay to the bitter end. Cry

• Sneakychiquita
    Sneakychiquita Member Posts: 110
    edited February 2013

Hi ladies,

I'm at my breast cancer mountain retreat and I am having the best freaking time.  We started off with yoga, skied from 10-3, then listened to talks by Sue Chappelle (an RMT who has been doing a lot of breast cancer research) and a lady who motivated us to go after what we want in life, and then danced our asses off at a small concert by Allen Stone.  Ever heard of him?  Apparently he's been making waves lately and has been on Ellen and David Lettermen.  Let me tell you, he is so amazingly high energy live.  I was dancing in the pit and had to hold onto my wig cuz I was pretty sure it was going to fall off with all the jumping I was doing.  Funny considering I was bedridden last week after AC #4.  Off to a party with the band now followed by 2 more full days of skiing, yoga, and much love.  This is the first night I've gone "out" with my wig and I'd have to say it did the trick.  I don't look like a cancer patient, and I don't feel like a cancer patient.  This has been the best mid-chemo treat a girl could ever ask for!  I can't stress enough how much you need to look into B4BC if you want to take part in any future ski/snowboard/surfing retreats they offer.  

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited February 2013

ok still have not done anything but I am hearing the voices ruth lol

I have offf monday and tuesday so gonna make a plan to do something. The pool is kind of chilly at my gym you warm up pretty quick but it's kind of shocking at first. I am a whimp in the cold I would never ski you girls amaze me. Hope your ambition rubs off on me.

• liv-
    liv- Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2013

too hot, waiting till 6 pm then power walk.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited February 2013

Sneaky, great to be having so much fun!  Carroll, get moving even if just slowly, you know you want to.  Gorgeous view, Claire.

Insanity Day 3, done.

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited February 2013

Claire, gorgeous pic.  You hiked 5k in skis????  Wow! 

Sneaky, sounds like a fabulous time and a balm for the frazzled spirit.

40 minutes hooping yesterday.  An outdoor walk with a friend planned for today (Superbowl avoidance tactic).

Hey I had my follow-up with the surgical nurse and wanted to report she actually recommended 45 minutes exercise 4 times a week as part of the after-cancer guidelines.  I've been aiming for at least 30 minutes 6 times a week which adds to the same weekly amount.  Anyway I was pleased to see exercise had made it onto the guidelines. It was on a printed handout along with the usual other stuff (maintain healthy weight, limit alcohol, etc).

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,855
    edited February 2013

Sneaky: What fun! Good for your soul, also!

Happy Super Bowl Day to all. Walked/ran the neighborhood in cold and wind. The cold helped me burn a few more calories in preparation for the game feast.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2013

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2013

Sneaky- you are awesome! So glad you are enjoying yourself. 

Claire- Beautiful!

Yesterday was 45 mins Turbo Fire (kickboxing) and today, Insanity Plyometric Intervals. It was insane...... buckets of sweat. Did 30 mins of yoga home practice tonight :)

Off to Boston Weds for my Dana Farber check up!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited February 2013

Hi again,  Back from another ski, but not nearly as nice weather.  Thought I would show the route from Google Maps.  You can see the huge US Forest road that goes around Mt Catherine.  That is what I ski.  I start at the top of the ski area at the top (I take the chairlift up), ski down for a bit, do some skiing on some of the shorter and easire trails, and then head out around Mt Catherine.  it's about 10 miles total, with a lot of downhill.

Downhill sounds easy until you do it on x-country skis and with icy conditions.  My legs were saying "uncle".

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Silver+Peak,+WA&hl=en&ll=47.374523,-121.450424&spn=0.13299,0.227451&sll=37.470219,-119.020956&sspn=0.038965,0.056863&hnear=Silver+Peak&t=h&z=13

I just love this route, and yesterday added in the trail that goes just under Silver Peak.  The picture is from the top.

Hurts to sit down now, but just glowing from all the exercise. - Claire

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited February 2013

Happy Birthday for yesterday Linda. Carol another thing with PF is to stretch your foot, I take the cord from my dressing gown put it under my foot and pull back, it gives you a nice stretch, PF is so painful I feel for you. Claire beautiful picture, so peaceful. Sneaky your retreat sounds fabulous. Heidi and Misswim Insanity is insane you girls have my utmost admiration.

Did Body Combat yesterday, was last class for one of my fave instructors as she is moving on and then Body Step today, new release is all plyometric its just too darned much for me so I do everything at level 1 but at least I do it, and when we were on the floor doing plank over the step I left a pool of sweat on the floor from my armsTongue Out.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited February 2013

Happy belated birthday Linda.

The retreat sounds wonderful and Claire, that picture is gorgeous. Not coordinated enough to ski...lol

Walked two miles yesterday while shopping for furniture at a local furniture gallery center. Walked 3.5 miles today on the treadmill.

• liv-
    liv- Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2013

power walk then gym top half weights.

• shadytrake
    shadytrake Member Posts: 69
    edited February 2013

Hi All,

I did my first (post-op) small walk the dog yesterday. I lasted 10 minutes.

I got to enjoy the sun and watch a friend ride my horse for me. (She's going to show him for me this season while I go through treatment).

I need to lose about 25 lbs so that I can lower my risk.

I hope you don't mind if I join your group for motivation.

• LuvLulu07
    edited February 2013

Not reading posts as I don't want to know the SB score yet! 

I have meetings this afternoon, and once home will do an hour of cardio some how, some way.  Now that it's written, I'm committed to doing it!  

Was sent an inspiring video that's on Facebook - the power of moving.   Sorry, don't know how to make this live.  

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4925797056266&set=vb.128255247330838&type=2&theater

• claire_in_seattle
    edited February 2013

I have seen this before, but thanks for posting.  The guy literally got his life back.  Amazing.

I thank my lucky stars that I am able to cycle, ski, hike, and otherwise enjoy life.

My mother was another example of someone who got around on two canes.  In her case, hip surgery that left her unbalanced.  (She should have done the surgery 5 years sooner.)  She walked every single day, and kept up her gardens and a host of other activities.  Others with her issues would have been wheelchair-bound.

I saw my father suffer the effects of excessive weight.  When he was farming, never an issue.  However, when he stopped all the activity, he gained about 100 pounds.  This limited what he could do, and he ended up with major diabetes which he eventually died from.

I am right now about the age when my parents started suffering from these issues.  So a major incentive to keep moving.  I want to be my fatheri's cousin who was still downhill skiing in his mid 80s.  Nothing wrong with his brain power either.

The big thing too is that if you don't move, you never get to see things like the picture I posted.  You can't get there otherwise.  Perhaps via snowmobile, but so wonderful to go there on skis.  And then the trill of coming down.

Work day with pm meeting.  Butt is sore and talking to me big time.  Happy exercising everyone! - Claire

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited February 2013

Phew - Super Bowl is over.  Not really a football fan, so I'm thrilled it's over, as that means pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training next week!  However, I did enjoy the Puppy Bowl.

Shady - Welcome!  Hooray for you - 10 minutes is 10 minutes you couldn't do the day before.  Great news that you're on the med.  Claire - I agree that many of us are at the age when increased exercise pays off big dividends in the long run.  I remember reading something that mostly healthy people can get away with not exercising until their 50s or so.  But after it makes a big difference in later QOL - those who exercised in their 50s and 60s were far more active with far fewer mobility and other issues in their 70s and 80s than those who were not physically active in their 50s and 60s.  I feel like the hard work I'm doing now is laying the groundwork for a more healthy active older life (not to mention the special benefits we get in reduced recurrance rates!).

Saturday was a rest day, Sunday was my long run day - my long runs are up to 5 miles now.  I've been running to music, but yesterday tried running to an audiobook and really liked it - the miles just flew by.  Today is stretching day, so I did a Gentle Yoga DVD this morning, and will use the foam roller to stretch out the legs tonight. 

• Linda-Ranching-in-the-mTns
    Linda-Ranching-in-the-mTns Member Posts: 96
    edited February 2013

Shady -- welcome! It feels great to start moving again post-op --doesn't it? But please don't over-do -- follow your docs guidelines... and (because you had nodes removed) my doc stressed not reaching above head for at least 2 weeks -- but very light/easy movement with arms below shoulder-height are good (re-avoiding-lymph-edema). 

The good news is that I (at least) was feeling nearly 100% only 2 weeks after my lumpectomy -- hope you have the same quick recovery!

Sneaky -- the retreat sounds wonderful! A HUGE reminder to love our lives -- no matter what the details of the moment are :) 

Claire -- gorgeous photo -- I live in the mountains, too -- there is nothing like it, huh? To be clear, I lived in cities in the midwest until just last year -- so for me, every day here on the ranch is still like an incredible vacation! Pretty wonderful to be reminded every single day (by the beauty here) to appreciate my good fortune, and how precious/beautiful life is! 

Carrol -- sometimes I trick myself into getting moving by doing simple isometrics every time I feel 'guilty' about not-exercising. Just do some muscle tightening -- even as you sit in a chair or lay in bed. Try to pull your stomach through to your back bone -- for a count of 30 and then relax. Can do the same with contracting the leg muscles, or pressing your palms together... harder and harder...

I especially do these things while driving... tightening my butt/thigh muscles while pulling in my stomach and sitting really straight (for as long as I can hold it) as I buzz down the road.

After a while, these isometrics become kind of routine -- and they do get the blood flowing into the muscles and begin to build some energy and strength there. 

No need to feel guilty or lazy -- just do some quick isometric reps and then move on with your life. Eventually the isometrics pave the way for more ambitious exercise... and 'guilt' serves no purpose other than to create a funk which make you LESS likely to move!

Today I will get TWO hikes -- one with Les on his lunch hour, and one with girlfriend and her dog. :)

Linda

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited February 2013

Brisk walk along the lake then did Insanity, day 4.

Natsfan, great idea about the audiobook. Kudos on 5 mile runs!

Welcome, Shady! You could be buddies with Sneaky.Foot in Mouth

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited February 2013

Shady - Welcome and mucho inspiration to be found here! Joy - Loved it and thanks for sharing the link.
    Sneaky - What fun you had and I checked out the B4BC website - so cool and I'd love to attend Sugar Bowl, my old ski haunt.  Claire - excellent photos.  Liv - I want to walk on the beach with you.  Mary - I think you are doing great, you too Ann.

Got to the gym and took body step, working at level 1 and pilates class afterwards.  Saw my orthopedist this afternoon and he said work it and that shoulder will continue to be less stiff with more physio.

Have a good start to week everyone!

• LuvLulu07
    edited February 2013

75 minutes of plyometrics and pilates.  Wow - who knew jumping could be so tough!  

welcome shady!  

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited February 2013

5 k walk and yoga. Started "training" for my surgery March 5 and also for a trek to Annaupurna Base Camp next March. Figure that chemo is over and from I see about Armidex which I start March 8 I better stay active. Snow snowshoeing tomorrow.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2013

Welcome Shady! The more the merrier.

Where is the Annaupurna Base Camp? Sounds like you will need your 'spikey boots' to get there! Smile

Treadmill & Arms/Abs/Buns of Steel for me.

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited February 2013

Nepal and you just need hiking boots, no spikes! This will be my third ABC trek but I figure that familiarity will be fun at the end of the craziness.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2013

That is fantastic!!!!!!!

• Cocobean
    Cocobean Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2013

Marian- wow! What a trip!

30 mins on elliptical and 20 on the bike. Thinking about going to a yoga class tomorrow, bit nervous, but just need to remind myself to do what I can and listen to my body...well see how it goes.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited February 2013

Welcome Shady jump on in the waters fineSmile  Joy thanks for the link that was so inspiring.  Wow Nepal that is an adventure.

Tonight was my crazy Spin class, the instructor made me a CD for my trip so I can have music to work out to while I'm on the road, I'm gonna pack now - New York here I come!!!!!