Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited February 2013

Wow patoo, what a trip! What was the most interesting thing you did/saw? What suprised you? Yes, you will be jet lagged for awhile.

45 minutes on the treadmill (boring), 15 pilates challenge (fun). We too are in the path of a big storm later the weekend, and judging from how crazy the kids all were today, it will probably hit us! Spring is a long way from here at the moment. Frown

Glad Cheryl got out ahead of the storm. Stay safe everyone who has to ride it out.

• Cocobean
    Cocobean Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2013

Gentle yoga class today....cold and rainy, thought about doing something more, but made chili instead...back to the gym tomorrow :) 

to those of you out east, stay safe and enjoy the snow....personally during the winter I'd take snow over rain any day. 

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited February 2013

Cheryl's safely in DC - we're planning dinner tomorrow night - can't wait!!

• bedo
    bedo Member Posts: 1,429
    edited February 2013

Wow!  You ladies are way ahead of me in fitness.  Ruth said that even though the  State Govenor has stated that we must all be off the roads by noon tomorrow due to storm, that I must shovel and do crunches.  Geeze!  I haven't exercised in forever so be gentle with me lol.

I am really inspired by your exercise, but please forgive me if I start slowly!  :O

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited February 2013

Pat, Glad you had a great trip and are able to scratch something off the bucket list.

I did another 3.5 miles on the treadmill tonight..Hoping all of you in the path of this major snow storm stay safe. Make a snow angel for me!

Happy Friday!

• Linda-Ranching-in-the-mTns
    Linda-Ranching-in-the-mTns Member Posts: 96
    edited February 2013

Patoo -- welcome home -- sounds like a wonderful trip!

Me -- no exercise more than driving 3.5 hours with some isometrics. The PT kicked my arm in the ass yesterday. I am sore and tired. :)

'Night

Linda

• ruthbru
    edited February 2013

Hi bedo, we are going to pump you up!!! Tongue Out

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited February 2013

Welcome bedo, and "Hi" everyone.  I've stayed away from this thread because I have nearly fallen off the daily exercise wagon.  If we had a Post Your Daily Napping thread, I'd be doing great there!  I'm fighting fatigue and losing right now :-(  

Today I parked at the far corner of the mall parking lot and walked to the other end of the mall to meet friends for lunch.  That was it!

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited February 2013

Mary & Cheryl, have fun!  Bedo, don't worry and slow and steady is good.  Pat, good to read you had fun and Patoo those 12 hour flights are hard to come back from. Ann, most likely when you are rested, you will hear the call of the hoop.

Off to freestyle step at the gym this morning.

I spoke here awhile back of a fitness class I was working on with a instructor from my gym for women in or out of tx for BC.  Well, it's going to happen. We have a free space offered to us that is full stocked with mats and more.  We start a pilot class on February 28th for 12 weeks all for free. The local Rotary has given us the £250. seed money for flyers and other things.  We are getting the word out and in a week we will be interviewed on local radio. Exercise is not at the top of the list for BC women in this country (actually, it's not even on the list), so we may have a bit of a trudge.

• InspiredbyDolce
    InspiredbyDolce Member Posts: 987
    edited February 2013

Hi everyone, 

I see you all posting your workout! By the way, do you all know if it's encouraged for us to have a day off each week from working out?

Here's what I've done so far for the week. I want to take Saturday off.  Do you think this is strong enough to take off one day this week, providing I work out again on Friday, can I take Saturday off?  I've been struggling with not knowing if it's okay to take a day off.

Sunday:  65 minutes on the EFX machine, (10 miles)  (this one was a very tough workout for me)

Monday:  65 minutes on the EFX machine, (9 miles) and then 55 minutes on the treadmill (4 miles)

Tuesday:  65 minutes on the EFX machine, (9 miles) and then 20 minutes on the treatmill (1 mile)

Wednesday:  60 minutes on the EFX machine, (9 miles) and then 60 minutes on the treadmill (4 miles)

Thursday (tonight):  65 minutes on the EFX machine, (9 miles) and then 35 minutes on the treadmill (2 miles)

I don't want to workout, but once I actually get into the workout room, I seem to move past mental resistance and actually do okay there. I know it benefits me better if I can look at it as something I like to do, so I try to have a good attitude about it.  I would rather be home watching Rules of Engagement on TV or Price is Right LOL!  :)

Have a nice evening everyone, oh gosh, it's morning now!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2013

hi ladies and welcome bedo and InspiredbyDolce.

Another round of Shovel & Sculpt yesterday, logged 3.61 km = 2.24 mi walked.

Happy Birthday, Claire!  Good luck on that downhill.

Cheryl, glad you made it to DC - have fun with Mary!

Patoo, welcome back, sounds like a fabulous vacation.

Stay safe & warm those on the east coast and upper midwest (Wink Ruth).

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited February 2013

Belated happy birthday, Claire!  Patoo, post pictures of Israel. Would love to dream of hot weather.

Inspired/Debra, welcome! Breaks are good for you. I do understand the fear though of not doing anything, especially if you have arthralgias/arthritis. You can give the legs a break and do something for your upper body, like crunches, or do some stretching.

Insanity, Day 8 done. I think I'll give my knees a break tomorrow.

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited February 2013

Welcome, bedo....another New Englander!  Welcome InspiredbyDolce!  You can definitely take a day off.  I have a scheduled rest day every week, usually Saturday.  It does wonders for the mind and body.  I think of rest as part of the equation - your body needs it for fitness.  Another good idea is to alternate hard / easy workout days.

Ahead of the storm this morning I did HIIT on the treadmill for 20 minutes, followed by a leg workout - my usual Friday routine. Now home, waiting for the storm, I'm just stayin' put!  My darling hubby just brought me the newspaper and my Dunkin' Donuts coffee. I think I'll make an omelet to go w/it.  And get a chicken soup simmering for later.

Badger, I'll be doing plenty of Shovel & Sculpt later on this weekend!!  As a recovery drink, how does hot chocolate w/Bailey's sound????

Stay safe everyone . . .

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited February 2013

Debra - absolutely take a rest day.  And I would also mix it up a bit and work on different muscle groups every day to avoid injury.  I'm training for my first half marathon and my training schedule mixes it up quite a bit, alternating running days with strength days, cross-training days and even a day devoted just to stretching.  I also take every Saturday off.  It's a pretty standard marathon training schedule - avoiding injury is key.  Better to mix it up and give yourself a rest day than to be injured and risk not being able to exercise for days or even weeks.

Today was a cross-training day - 30 minutes on the elliptical.  We're getting rain now from that same storm that'll be snow for those further north - poor Cheryl is going to have a cold wet day to sightsee.  Ann - I hear you about fatigue - I get hit really hard with letrozole fatigue and always feel like I have to manage my activities to avoid overdoing, because if I do too much and get too fatigued, I hit a wall and can't move for days. Hang in there and hopefully you'll work your way out of the fatigue valley.  Lilac - fabulous news - how inspiring!!  Hope you can get a few BC women moving - maybe working out with other BC women will provide the safe environment necessary to get them started.  I like your idea Lulu for that storm - stock up on that Bailey's!!Cool

• InspiredbyDolce
    edited April 2014

Thank you so much ladies, for your insight. I logged on to see what you all thought of a rest day.  I think I will take a day off, and I might make it on Saturdays, which is the heavy housecleaning day (where I move furniture) and do the extra laundry items like bedspread, etc.  So I think I will try it.  I will also try doing other groups of muslces, like you all suggested.  My fitness room is here on the property of our condo, so they are limited on the machines. There is this stand up machine, that you pull the rope handles, and the the stacked weights move.  I'll try that for upper body.  I know pushing a vacuum doesn't work all the muscles. :)

Also ladies, I just read the best way to recover after a vigorous workout is within 30 minutes of workout completion, to eat a carb/protein ratio of 4:1.  I have tried it this week, and have found my recovery time dramatically improved!

Have a great day everyone, and I'm also hoping that those of you in the Northeast get through this storm okay.

Much love and prayers for all of you!

- Recovery after Exercise

• InspiredbyDolce
    edited February 2013

Lilac - That is such a great idea to have those specialized fitness class, and with the attendees coming together from a similar diagnosis, it will help them not only physically, but also spiritually.  Once it is featured on the news, the place will be packed!

Heidi - Take your before and after P90X photo so you can get the tee shirt! 

• InspiredbyDolce
    edited February 2013

Bedo - I started slow!  I at first, did only a 1 mile walk on the treadmill.  And when I graduated to the EFX machine, I could only do 5 minutes at a time! :)

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited February 2013

Claire - Happy Birthday and you will do great with downhill.Wink

Mary & Debra, thanks for the positive thoughts and Mary, when you have the workout addition (hope I have that right - Joy mentioned you needing yoga input a week or so back) for StepUp-SpeakOut, may I make a copy of it?

• bedo
    bedo Member Posts: 1,429
    edited February 2013

Thanks Inspired and everyone.

I just went out and shovelled the sidewalk of 2 inches of the expected 24 inches of snow that is there now and still coming down.  I could picture the people laughing as they went by.  I don't care.  I did it and I'll keep doing it and I won't have to deal with it all at once. (Snow and exercise)

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited February 2013

That's called shovel and sculpt!  Welcome to our newest members!  Happy Birthday, Claire! Cheryl, hope you still enjoy your holiday and Patoo, awsome trip!!

Been keeping busy, alternating Wii fit Plus, Zumba on Wii and a few workout videos as well as my daily walks (not today, due to storm!).

By the way, I too have already been out shovelling and will have many more opportunities as the snow is still falling!

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited February 2013

5 k walk and yoga next.

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited February 2013

Walked to and frm choir this weeks (7kms or 8) and another 5 kms to the market this afternoon and then about 4kms there...karate wednesday...need to add more cardion and weights to this new way of exercizing..think bootcamp class begins Wednesday again!

• InspiredbyDolce
    edited April 2014

I mixed it up today.  I first did the treadmill for 65 minutes, at a steep incline, at a pace of 3.8.  Then I went to the EFX machine for the remaining 25 minutes.  All in all, I did 90 minutes.  I've got 9.5 hours in for the week, and think I'll just do a smaller workout tomorrow.  Maybe 45 minutes.  But you never know ... I could be persuaded to take the whole day off!

I just got done shopping at Sprouts.  I know their selection is great, but I think they are more expensive than Trader's Joes, so I just picked up a few items.  I've been slowly collecting items to make a vegetable soup in the next 6 months or so!  :o)

Have a nice weekend everyone!

- Exercise

• InspiredbyDolce
    edited February 2013

I would like to do Zumba.  That seems really fun.  Shovel and sculpting ... that was funny ... Bedo, you'll be the only one who will have a nice looking yard and sidewalk when the storm is over.  

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2013

Recovering after my trip so yesterday and today nothing.  But, just looked out the window and will definitely will get some shovel and sculpt tomorrow to make up for it.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2013

Welcome to the new ladies!

Yes, take days off, alternate harder and easier days, mix up your exercises, make some of it fun stuff. It doesn't have to be 'exercise until you drop', but does need to be consistant (that is my theory and I'm sticking to it Wink).

Ann, walking across the parking lot counts when you are tired out. Good for you!

Happy Birthday to Ski Bunny Claire!

Anxious to hear about Mary & Cheryl's dinner, which I am sure was very, very fun!!

An hour on the treadmill. I have done a little Shovel and Scupt every night this week, and we are on the edge of a storming coming through on Sunday...so we shall see. I hope it swings around us as we have conferences Monday and Tuesday night and it will be a hassle if we have to reschedule.

Lilac, very cool about the class!

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2013

haven't checked in a few days, but have kept busy! Weds night Insanity day 7, Thursday night 45 minutes Combat,  Today Insanity Day 8 and shoveling...... the snow is just dumping here!

Welcome Dolce and Bedo!

Patoo- Sounds like an amazing trip!

Claire I hope you are having a wonderful time!

• liv-
    liv- Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2013

power walk - beach -

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2013

A sliver of early AM pink light on the mountains I can see out my window.  Fields, horses, and chickens too.

Sorry sight yesterday for the first couple of runs, not helped at all by the first time ever taking a Poma Lift.  I had forgotton how to ride a T-bar, which is similar technique.  So mined those decades-old archives.  By the end, I had most of my groove back, but really need a bit more practice.  It was FAST yesterday, and reasonably challenging.  More so than where I have skied recently.....oops, make that six years ago!  This was for the runs I did from the chairlift.  But fun, and glad I went.

Today, off to the Methow Valley for miles and miles of cross country.

Had a divine dinner last night.  Was fun watching the owner/chef at Tappi do all the finish work for amazing Italian fare.  I had a lasagna with spinach and bechamel, then covered with a tomato sauce and cheese.  YUM!!!  Sad story - the owner lost his son a month ago from a brain aneurysm.  The lad was 26.  Just devastating.

But a lovely time.  Two jazz musicians playing, and then I got chatted up by a couple of guys.  Always a good thing as one marks another year.

OMG - sun spot is now bright pink.  The rooster is crowing in acknowledgement.  I need a BATH prior to setting out this AM.  Wonderful breakfast in an hour as well.

Think I will hit the local French bistrot for tonight's meal. 

BTW - no joke on "shovel and sculpt".  I have done that many times.  I once dug a driveway out of waist-deep snow.  (While my ex said it couldn't be done.)  I sure felt it the next day.

Somehow skiing is a lot more fun. - Claire

• ruthbru
    edited February 2013

Sounds like a lovely weekend, Claire.

Did my 1991 70 minute Jane Fonda Workout, which is alot of fun with all the leg warmers and big hair. Busy day today; DH's niece & family are in town for an indoor soccer tournament, godson plays basketball tonight, in-between I better get groceries in case we get the predicted storm tomorrow, could also do bills, school work, and/or go to coffee at the nursing home where I would get chatted up by octogenarians Smile.