Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited April 2010

get out the wet noodles.  I haven't walked since Sunday.  Mon. and Tuesday I came home from work and (unintentionally) took long naps; today, rain... so I'm feeling a little restless.  I guess I'll have to do double duty the rest of the week.  This is when I'm jealous of those indoor excercise machines!

I have a heart cath coming up in about 10 days that's causing me tons of anxiety, almost to the point where I'm tempted to cancel it.   It's more a preventive, let's-look-and-see procedure because of my heart damage from Herceptin/chemo... I've put it off once.  If I don't start feeling better about it soon I may tell them I'm not doing it.  Big baby here!  Undecided

All of you get gold stars for all your great work!  Keep inspiring me!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited April 2010

Hi all,  Walked 3 miles today.  Not too bad b ut I want to do more.  It is hard though when you work full-time so I'll be glad that I got that in at least.

Nature, the voices didn't wake you from the naps or did you just push them off to the side and turn over?  You're not really feeling restless - you are tring to ignore the voices LOL.  Don't worry, you will get back in to it.  Do you have any exercise DVD's - FIRM, Russell Simmons, Leslie Sansone?  They are good for "bad weather" days.  One thing I did when I first started trying to move was march in place, or dance in place, while watching the news or a sitcom, or House, or Law and Order, or CSI, or something.  It at least got me doing 30+ mins.

Something else that might motivate you to work out is how well you will feel if you decide to do the heart cath! 

Hello to all my Sculpted sisters.  How is everyone feeling?

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited April 2010

Really nice out, just walked 45 minutes & now will go downstairs & tone. I'll check back later. Ruth

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited April 2010

Ruth - like the new pic.... I unfortunately did something wrong a while back and can not load a pic back up!  I even tried on our desk top in case it was a problem with my lap top!  So I guess I will remain "pic-less" for now.

Trying to keep the walking up - today we had to beat the thunderstorm that was coming so did less mileage but at a much faster pace!  lol

Can't get to any tv tonight for my dvd excercise (kids watching a movie, dh watching hockey), but like the "idea" of marching in place while watching tv!! Laughing

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010
    Hi All! Mum, love the excerise cat! Our evil neighbor cat, Tigger, was sitting right out on my steps & hissed at ME when I opened the door to go walking. She must have mistaken me for a large cat!!! Congratulations to Patoo & Cheryl and their loose clothes, way to go!! And congratulations to all the walkers too! Nature (here comes the wet noodle Surprised), like Patoo says, you can just walk in front of the TV, and do situps, pushups, use soup cans for light weights etc.; just to get started. And there are some real good walking DVD's at Walmart/Kmart etc. where you walk inside with an instructor. Lots of us like the FIRM & Richard Simmons workouts too. There are alot of different DVD's in the stores, and/or you could check out www.richardsimmons.com or www.firmdirect.com for ideas of what is available. I don't blame you for being stressed out about the test (I will probably die of a heart attack or stroke while in the oncology waiting room because I get so freaked out about rechecks that my blood pressure always goes through the roof); but if you have to have it, it is probably just better to just get it over with. Mary Louise, I was even able to put that picture on here myself, so I must be getting better in the technology deparment! It was taken at Easter & the cute guy in the background is my son Cool.
  • retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited April 2010

I can't believe all that you gals manage to do.  I've got to ease back into this.  But I've done the total gym beginner routine every day since I first posted.  Today, my dog training day, I was on my feet for 2 lessons with my own dogs, then taught 2 hour long lessons this afternoon.  Tried to stay on my feel the whole time (not totally successful), and carried equipment myself instead of asking for DH's help. I like the idea of marching in place if nothing else.  I can't imagine walking one mile right now, much less 3 after work.  Hat's off (and not just because I'm getting a dexe flush).

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited April 2010

Hello everyone, did one hour Body Combat class tonight, I did a bit of jumping and now I need an ice pack for my back - I get totally carried away and think I'm 25 not 60. 

Patoo 3 miles is terrific, how are your allergies.  Ruth I also love the new picture, hey have you ever just bent down and hissed back at Tigger he might get shocked and leave.  Mary Louise just getting up and marching or doing some sit ups when the ads are on is helpful.  Nature there are lots of things around the house you can use if you don't have a machine at home, cans of soup can be used or one of the best things is to buy yourself is an exercise band you can do so much with that and they are very inexpensive.  Have a great evening.

Cheryl

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited April 2010

Retrievermom we were posting at the same time, it's fantastic that you've done a routine every day, you're just starting a new habit for yourself.  I know sometimes I feel stupid as I am in a routine of certain classes but every day I do someting and so I'm proud of myself I was never this active in my younger years (except for my drinking/dancing on a friday night years).

Are you teaching agility or training puppies?

• rreynolds1
    rreynolds1 Member Posts: 62
    edited April 2010

Hi All,

I'm still exercising every day.  45 mins. on my eliptical.  When I finish, I'm very proud to have done something positive for my health.  I'm starting to see that there is a shape under the 30 extra lbs. I've been toting.  I also joined Weight Watchers on Monday.  I need the external monitoring.  Measuring food is really an eye opener.  I thought I was having a cup of cereal in the morning when actually I was pouring almost 2 cups.  Portion control is important in weight loss and WW will hopefully keep me on track.  I don't want to look at it as a diet, but an education.  I know what I should be doing but over time I really got sloppy and it has shown in my weight.  I'll be a young 60 this year and don't want to spend the rest of my life overweight.  Cancer taught me that I can't ignore my health and fitness.  Thanks for this thread.  You ladies have really inspired me.

Roseann

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2010

Oh forgot to post last nigth....just did the same cardio sculpt ( love it)  and walking for 30 mins.  crunches on the ball.  I do that throughout the day.  I am starting to see a difference!

I am worried about tonight.....I have to work in the concession stand for a track meet.  Love doing this but love to get to my exercise too

Warmly,

Balsie

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited April 2010

Hi everyone - we had a Nats game last night, so no time to exercise after work.  But I was thinking . . . from our parking lot to the ballpark is a good 15 minute walk, plus our seats are in the upper deck, and we always power walk the ramps rather than take the escalator.  So, I'm dubbing a round trip from the parking lot to our seats and back as two 15 minute "ballpark walks" - gotta get some credits somewhere!!  And we were very good and stopped at Subway on our way in and got one of the low fat Jerrod specials and took that in so we didn't have to buy fatty ballpark food.  And I had Miller Lite instead of a real beer. Innocent OK, baby steps.

And I took a 45 minute power walk around the neighborhood this morning. I ran into the same neighbor walking the beagle pup, so I got another dose of puppy breath!

• retrievermom
    edited April 2010

cheryl:  Thanks for the encouragement.  I have orthopedic issues that limit some of the exercises I can do, but I'm determined to keep at this. Today, after chemo round, have 2 lessons to teach, and it's finally sunny, so we can be outdoors. I show/teach competition obedience.  I can't even imagine something called Body Combat!  Having something scheduled has always been a help for me, so I'm trying to get on the Total Gym before dinnertime.

Nats:  I can't get back out to DC until after the season's over; wish I could catch a game.  Puppy breath is the best.

• patoo
    edited April 2010

Yes Nats, that all counts.  We take credit for every ounce we work on.

Welcome rreynolds1, I can certainly relate to being proud when I finish exercising, especially when it took every scream of the voices to get me moving.  Keep at it.

Balsie - concession stand for a track meet - pretend you are on the track with them and walk in place!   I bet people will smile and support you when they are buying stuff and you let them know that you although you can't be out on the track because you have to serve them, that you are still taking part in the meet!  LOL

I have a choir rehearsal for a Mother's Day program so not sure if I will get any exercise in today.  (and no, walking in place during rehearsal won't work!)

Later my Sculpted friends.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010
    You guys are awesome! Just checking in to recommend two fun games for Cheryl; Scattergories & Loaded Questions are my two favorite board games, both really, really fun. Balsie, when my son was in track & I worked the food stand (he was a thrower); I would take breaks & walk over to the track and watch the runners, go over to the pole vault pit etc. and got quite a bit of exercise watching other people exercise Smile. Oh yes, I have hissed back at Tigger; she then took a swip at my ankles!!!! She is MEAN!!!!
  • ruthbru
    edited April 2010
    30 minutes walk & 30 minutes buns sculpt (did 30 minutes upper body last night). Patoo, did you end up dancing in place at choir rehersal? You could have the excuse that you were 'moved' by the music Smile! Bobbi & Kris report in, we are missing you! Keep up the great work everybody! Ruth
  • patoo
    edited April 2010

Checking in for a moment.  Only did a little over 1.5 miles walking today.  Will try and rev it up the next 3 days. 

Night all my wondersul Sculpted sisters.

BTW, Ruth, put some water into a spray bottle and when Tigger hisses at you spray her.  (from a distance of course).  A couple of times and she should leave you alone.  It's not mean and actually can be very funny.

• patoo
    edited April 2010

Ruth, we posted at the same time - I love it - "moved to the music" - LOL

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010

I have sprayed her, with the garden hose, and then she follows me right up the deck and INTO my house; she is like a devil cat!!!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited April 2010

Here she is watching your every move.Wink

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010
    ARGH!!!!! Surprised
  • patoo
    edited April 2010

ROFLOL!!!

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010

Not me, I'm shivering in my boots & peeking out the window........

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited April 2010
    I am laughing so hard almost had an accident,Embarassed can we call that exercise?
  • patoo
    edited April 2010

Yes, laughing is good for the stomach. 

Ruth, Ruth - it's only a picture - gat ahold of yourself!   Maybe if you purr......

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010
    Laughter is the best medicine AND the best exercise too; so we are good for now Laughing! Night all! Ruth
  • blackbeltgirl
    blackbeltgirl Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010

My workout is TaeKwonDo at least twice a week. Nothing is better. You can punch and kick away all your stress and it is the one hour I can forget about my situation. It helps with mobility, strength and flexibility. I have had three surgeries in less than a year No side effects from Tamoxifen and I believe I owe it to the physical fitness. I even competed in it at a tournament exactly six weeks after surgery. It keeps me going. When I don't do that I ride horses and walk with my dog I bought as a reward to our family if I made it through treatment.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited April 2010

Love the devil cat picture!!!

Last night after work I did 10 minutes elliptical, 30 minutes weight training, and 10 minutes step work. This morning before work I did my usual neighborhood walk, but didn't see the beagle pup, so I didn't get my puppy breath fix this morning. Frown

Blackbelt - welcome, and it's great that you've found something that works for you.  Fitness certainly can help battle s/es.  Many of us here were also very physically fit and active before dx - some were lucky and had few s/es from chemo, surgery, and drugs, while others of us have been hit hard no matter our level of fitness.  Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones!  Laughing

• patoo
    edited April 2010

Welcome blackbelt.  My right hip won't allow me to do any kicking, even in the pool I have problems with that.  I would also love to ride horses, tried taking lessons, but, again, because I have no range of motion, primarily in my right hip/leg, I can't sit astride a horse - too wide for me.  I suppose side-saddle? but I don't think that's for novices.  I'm glad it works for you with the se's - awesome.

Plan on heading to the gym after work later.  We'll see.  Enjoy your day.

• retrievermom
    edited April 2010

patoo:  I'm with you on those hip issues affecting kicking, jumping, and, blast it, horseback riding,  Years ago I took lessons and could deal with the pain afterwards, before the replacement.  I think it's great you get out and do all the gym work and walking.

Doing the total gym every day, but don't know if I'll be able to tonight.  My legs feel like jelly since the chemo round and dex yesterday.  Did get out this morning with my dogs for awhile, so some movement.

• patoo
    edited April 2010

Hi all.  Haven't done anything yet tonight and it's not looking good.  My right knee, hip and arm are all acting up since this afternoon.  Took some advil but it hasn't helped so I'm just very  uncomfortable - so, making an executive decision right now to take tonight off!  Time for a glass of wine (now that may make the discomfort go away, or maybe I just won't care LOL)

Night Sculpted buddies.