Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited March 2013

Grammie - congrats on the walk!  That first time out after surgery is great, isn't it?  I think you did exceptionally well to go for 20 minutes - I think my first post-BMX walk lasted about 5 minutes as I shuffled down to the corner and back.  Since you've had nodes removed, you're at risk for lymphedema, so your PT will be the best one to recommend exercises you can do to get started back on a fitness program.  The Step Up Speak Out lymphedema website has document about precautions to take when resuming an exercise program after surgery.  There's also a document you can give to trainers and fitness instructors that explains lymphedema, and your PT may find it useful as well.  Here are the links: Basic Patient Info    Info for Trainers and Instructors

Good luck!

• grammietofour
    grammietofour Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2013

Natsfan - thanks so much for the info you provided.  I see the rehab physician tomorrow and they are associated with the lymphedema clinic so curious as to what they have to say.  I downloaded the brochures you provided to read through tonight before my appt tomorrow. 

Grammie

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited March 2013

Hi, just stopping in for one minute. Have a great rest of the week!

• nicole503
    nicole503 Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2013

lbrewer ~ I'm glad you are okay.  Thanks for the cautionary tale!

grammietofour ~ Great job on the 20 minute walk!  Recovery can be a long road, but walking regularly makes the miles go by much faster and with more comfort. I hope your PT gives you some helpful options!

I woke up this morning feeling yucky to the core (Taxol #3 last Thursday) but I decided my 16 year old with autism and her best friend deserved the free swim I had promised them for spring break so off we went.  Their laughter and the buoyancy of the  water lifted my spirits and gave me a feeling of ease I didn't think was going to happen today.  Let's hear it for dogged determination!

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited March 2013

grammietofour - it sounds as though you are doing exactly what you should for a good recovery.

Did legs and shoulders today in very vigorous exercises - the type where even an atheist is pleading to God for mercy. As a result, here I am:

Think I will stay that way for about 10 hours. Feels very satisfying, though.

Have a good night, everyone.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2013

Spin on Thursday and Friday, a 3.5 hour Baptiste Immersion vinyasa work shop (picture 3 hours in a 105 degree room.....) which SLAYED me on Sat. We parked about 2 miles from the famous Mystic, CT St. Patty's day parade ( a week late) and walked a total of 4 miles yesterday. Tonight was a really cool hour of power hot yoga class. My legs are SORE (Claire, hear you on the sitting down, ouch). Day of scrub and scultpt..... that is all on tap for tomorrow.

Just finished the anti-viral for shingles yesterday. Onc starting me on gabapentin for the nerve pain. Had my first globulin infusion for the anemia treatment today. So far, so good!

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited March 2013

Brisk walk in at lunch yesterday, and some classical stretch this morning.  Gym bag in car, off to spinning tonight after work.  Rest of week is a blur for me - holy week, so I sing in the choir, plus all my kids are coming home Friday as a surprise for DH birthday on Saturday - what he also doesn't know is we are having a big surprise party for him Saturday night, with a moonshiners - swamp people - duck dynasty - hillbilly theme!  It should be a blast, but all this lying to keep it a surprise is killing me.

• NatsFan
    edited March 2013

30 minute stretch yoga yesterday, 20 minute Pilates DVD today plus 20 minutes with the foam roller stretching everything out. 

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited March 2013

Body balance at the gym and afterwards feeling so inspired by Mary's progress in training I stopped on the way home and bought running shoes and tights.  Walked in the door, downloaded NHS couch to 5k, put on my new stuff and out the back door for my first week of training. 

This thread really works!Wink

• 1Athena1
    edited March 2013

Yes, it does, LilacBlue. I can barely move after yesterday. :-)

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,856
    edited March 2013

Pat: Can't wait to hear more about the surprise b-day party. Sounds like fun!

Today's activity consisted of one hour of spreading pine needles followed by walking/running at the park in the evening.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2013

Had my first infusion today. Not so bad.But gosh, it sucked being in the chemo room again. Luckily, it is 20 mins once a month!

I went to 75  mins hot yoga, and passed out in savasana!! ugh...

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited March 2013

Misswim, wow, 3 hours at 105 degrees?  You're hardcore!  And yuck to revisiting the chemo room.  I hope the infusions do the trick.

Pat, I love the party theme.  Great idea!

LilacBlue, awesome that you got inspired to do the Cto5k.  

Well I've been hooping daily, working on controlled arm moves and getting my left arm up to speed.  Today I added on some dancing at the end today because I didn't feel like going out for a walk.  I think I may have over-danced.  :-)

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited March 2013

45 minutes on the treadmill tonight (3.5 miles) and arm exercises. Fitness center at my office building opens next week so I am looking forward to switching up my exercises.

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited March 2013

Did a 45 min walk after work yesterday!  It was great just to walk and talk.  

Enjoy your day!

Balsie

• NatsFan
    edited March 2013

Lilac - how fun!  If you haven't checked it out yet, hop over to the Running 2013 thread.  Lots of c25K'ers on that thread.  I didn't check it out for months thinking it was only for "real" runners, but when I finally posted I found they're very welcoming to all runners - beginning or experienced.  Misswim - I'd pass out in the first 2 minutes of hot yoga, so you did well as far as I'm concerned!  Do be careful.  Pat - I love "theme" parties - they're so much fun.  Ann - I think I may sign up for that hooping class - it begins next month - see what you started!!

Half hour run through the neighborhood after work yesterday - chilly, but no ice or snow on the sidewalk.  I'm liking these longer days! 30 minutes elliptical this morning. 

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2013

We're socked in with a foot+ of snow - school was cancelled today which is a rarity.  Got out for a trail run/hike  Laughing mostly trudging through piles of snow.  Didn't think that I would need the Icebugs again for awhile, love that I can use them for the next few days at least!  

pat  The surprise b-day party sounds like a blast!  Lilac  Yay for C25k! 

• pat01
    edited March 2013

Had a nice walk yesterday at lunch.  Then to the gym for spinning after work, where I was the only person who showed! - instructor said we could still have class, but that it wouldn't have the same energy, etc, and that when she was yelling I would probably take it personal LOL.  So I said that was fine not to do class, but she wouldn't let me leave, and made me go to the gym and work out.  I've been thinking about restarting C25K for a few weeks, so even though I didn't have the app with me, I did 1 minute run 1.5 walk intervals for 20 minutes, which I think is how Week 1 starts anyway.  Worked up a good sweat.  And, I learned how to set the treadmill for intervals, which is great!  Before I used to adjust the speed with the up down buttons.

Did a bit of classical stretch this am, and another walk at lunch in my future.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited March 2013

30 minutes of Yoga and 30 minutes of Pilates as well as arm exercises....

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,856
    edited March 2013

Walk/run tonight. My time is improving!

• 1Athena1
    edited March 2013

Made a compromise: body still too broken to continue my weight training regimen, so instead of just staying home I took a water aerobics class and then did a bit of freestyle swimming. Sitting here with about four hot/icy patches in my arms and back.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2013

hi ladies and welcome lbrewer & grammie.  I'm one of the mellower exercisers who posts here.  I walk and do gentle yoga.  Started a walking program while recovering from BMX three years ago.  First walk was maybe 5 minutes.  Now I've logged more than 3,300 miles (see sig. line, that's how I keep track).

Been walking at lunch and after work to enjoy the sun and near-40 temps.  

Logged 12.88 km = 8 miles since last post. 

Everyone is doing so well, keep up the good work!  What would Ruth do?  Have fun! 

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2013

I was planning out my summer cycling events this morning.  Starting with the Tulip Pedal in three weeks, and then, at least 2 events per month through September.  Each event will be 50-100 miles, with at least one mega event (~200 miles over 2 days).  The good news is that I am ending the winter fit and trim, so just have to adjust to cycling vs skiing.

Other good news is that my wrists are healed to the point I can do triceps extensions with my 10s again.  Makes a huge difference in what my upper arms look like.

Just got in from a walk, and got to smell the jasmine in bloom.  Just the most intoxicating spring scent. - Claire

• 1Athena1
    edited March 2013

That's great that your arms are healed, Claire - you need those triceps!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited March 2013

Hello everyone, I have been keeping up with my workouts even though I have visitors and so have been on an eating festEmbarassed on saturday I actually did two separate Combat workouts, did Step on sunday which was my birthday so then there was cake - I feel like I'm one of those hamsters running on the wheel - gym, eat, gym, eat, gym, eat oh and on monday night at the end of my spin class there was more cake so that workout was totally negated and then today we went out to a fabulous local day spa so I got to swim and mud and lay in the sun, yes spring is on the way, and the star jasmine was blooming and like Claire said the aroma was intoxicating.  Ann the spa had an advertisement up for a hooping demonstration, so you are a trailblazer....

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited March 2013

Joy, that's awesome you ran despite so much snow!  Pat, I was once the only person in "gentle yoga" but we did the class anyway.  I can see how one-on-one spin instruction might be a bit odd.  Claire I'm going to have to look up triceps extensions.  My upper arms are not so great.  Mary, watch out, hooping is addictive!  Cheryl, nice to see you back.  A hooping demonstration?  Ha ha, I guess they have to show folks what it is before they can advertise a class.

Well I took a long nap this afternoon, then did about 20 minutes hooping.  It wasn't much of a workout because I was playing with new tricks.  I got some light "twin" hoops for double the fun.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited March 2013

Athena, water aerobics and swimming are both excellent exercise. All my docs and my LE lady keep pushing water exercise. I am a terrible swimmer, as in scared, swim like a dachshund and can only swim about 10 meters before collapsing. But I will try this summer to do something in the water. According to my ortho, even walking in water is really good for the bones.

• pat01
    edited March 2013

A nice walk at lunch yesterday with an old friend I haven't seen in a while - and a little classical stretch this morning.  As the surprise party gets closer I'm feeling more and more stress, as my lies begin to unravel.  Kids start coming home tonight, yay!  I'll probably be offline til next week.  Happy Easter everyone!

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited March 2013

Zumba! toning

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2013

One of those lazy days, been on the computer all day and just don't feel like doing anything.  But I'm getting up out of this chair, pulling on some yoga pants and getting in 30 minutes of jump board.  There - I said it, now I have to do it!