Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited March 2013

Cheryl - Happy Belated Birthday!  Glad you completely stuffed yourself with cake because as we all know birthday cake calories don't count.  Tongue Out  Pat - laughing about your surprise party lies coming unraveled - shows what an honest soul you are that you're such a terrible lier!  Athena - that's part of an exercise program too - learning when to push yourself and learning when to compromise a bit.  Momime - I work for our local rec Department, and we offer a swim class for adults just like you called Totally Terrified Adult.  It's actually very popular and has really worked for a lot of adults.   Maybe your local rec dept or local Y offers something similar.  Claire - so glad you're healing.  Badger - love your determination to keep walking. 

3 mile run this morning.  Took the day off to get some errands done - it's so nice getting stuff done during the week and not having to fight the weekend crowds. 

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,856
    edited March 2013

Badger: Ruth is in Arizona having fun.

Everyone is doing so GOOD! I walked/ran in the park this afternoon and loved every minute of it.

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited March 2013

Momine, that is good to know about the bones, speifically.

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited March 2013

Long and sweaty hoop session and a cool-down walk.  Felt like it made up for yesterday's lackadaisical-ness.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited March 2013

Nats, lol on the swim class. I have had so many swimming lessons it is not even funny. I know how to swim, i.e. know the basic strokes and can stay afloat (just barely). The problem is twofold: no way am I putting my face in the water, just ain't gonna happen, and my muscle tone is low so I run out of power very quickly and that makes me insecure. But recently I swam at a hotel with a small pool. This was actually perfect for me, because I could make it from one end to the other, then rest.

I work out regularly, so I am currently about as strong as I am ever going to be. The problem is that this is still not very strong, especially in the upper body. My RO was baffled on a daily basis by how little "meat" I had on my chest. When I had my hyster, the surgeon was equally baffled by how thin the muscle layer on my belly was. My arms are also considered very thin apparently, judging from the sleeve fitters' puzzlement when they measure them. It is congenital, I assume, since my dad is similar in build.

Oh, and I can't float. Dh thought I was out of my mind when I told him, but then he tried to help me learn how to float on my back. He finally had to give up, lol.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited March 2013

Happy Belated Birthday Cheryl and what a nice gym you have  for workout and b'cake.  When I belonged to a gym in Paris they had beautiful chocolates on the front desk counter (calling out to me) for the taking on your way out.Sealed  Mary, thank you so much and I might bump over to the running thread this weekend and I sent the trainers doc you put up to our PRP instructor.  We had two newbies yesterday with one wearing a sleeve who explained to us how she struggles with lymphedema - 20 years after surgery.  Joy, mentioned to my physio yesterday about Melt Method and she is going to look it up.  Good hooping Ann and it has yet to take off at our gym too.

Off to the gym for freestyle step and bodybalance and I'll do run training this afternoon.  Got to burn off the half hot cross bun I just ate. Earlier, had enough upper bod to drag out the recycling box and once outside I realized as it's a holiday, no recycling pick up, so back in with the blue box.  My weight lifting for the day. Wink

Have a Good Friday Everyone!

• 1Athena1
    edited March 2013

Momine, you are like my mother. There is no way in hell she will submerge her head under water. I, on the other hand, am a happy fish as long as I have my contacts off.

Ann, you must have abs of steel from all the hooping - amazing workout.

Trying to decide whether to do some Vinyasa, follow my weight regimen or what. I think I might choose the yoga, as yoga always reveals to me how to overcome my injuries.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited March 2013

Signed up for a 12:00 spin class today great way to make sure I go.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited March 2013

Momine - I get it - you know exactly how to swim, but you just hate it.  Makes sense that if you can't float, then even a little swimming is a struggle for you!  No wonder you get tired so quickly when doing laps.  I have plenty of built-in floatation (shall we say) so swimming is a breeze for me. 

Lazy girl here - 30 minutes of elliptical was on the schedule for this morning, but when my alarm went off at 6am I was SO tired that I turned it off.  DH has been down for the count this week with a nasty virus thing, and I was thinking that maybe being so tired was a sign that the virus was trying to sink its nasty hooks into me.  I decided to grab an extra hour of sleep to give my body a bit of extra energy for the fight.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  Tongue Out

• Momine
    edited March 2013

Nats, I never thought of that, lol, that the lack of floating makes actual swimming hard too. I have no idea why I can't float. Dh thought it was very weird, because I did all the things I was supposed to, but it just doesn't work :/

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2013

Hour of pilates mat, Anthony Lett stretch and a few minutes of Melt method with the roller.  

Momine  Oh how tough it would be to swim without having buoyancy!  It must be a body fat thing?  cheryl  Belated Happy Birthday!  NatsFan  Our body knows best, it's a good thing to turn off that alarm and sleep in every once in awhile!  

Lilac  It will be interesting to see what your physio thinks of the Melt method.  It's so much different than anything that I've ever done - it is not a substitute for exercise, but in la-la terms it re-programs the nervous system and rehydrates the fascia.  And I feel amazingly good after a few minutes of it.  

Happy Good Friday Everyone!  

• Momine
    edited March 2013

Joy, I have no idea really. I am not THAT skinny, but the lack of muscle as well probably means that a slightly disproportionate part of me is bone. Too much bone, too little of all the other stuff?

• 1Athena1
    edited March 2013

Momine, it sounds as though you would make a perfect runway model. :-)

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited March 2013

I have too much all the other stuff  lol Wish I could give you some.

• Momine
    edited March 2013

Athena, no, no, I am not tall enough, nor tiny enough in circumference. Back in my long gone youth someone suggested I try modeling, except she told me I had to lose 10lbs first. Not gonna happen. I weigh now what I weighed then (having been heavier in between), and if I dropped 10 lbs I would be most definitely in the clinically underweight range.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2013

Hey ladies and Happy belated Birthday, Cheryl!

Took today off work and it was a perfect day to do so.  Sunny and 51.

Walked for an hour after work yesterday and 90 minutes this afternoon.

Then got out gloves & pruning shears and did 2 hours of Garden & Sculpt.

Daffodils & tulips coming up, lilacs budding, peonies still thinking about it.

All kinds of birdsong and the fresh air smells so good.  Gotta love Spring!  Cool

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited March 2013

Happy belated birthday Cheryl.

I love to swim and am excited since we are getting some well needed work done to our pool this spring.. Haven't opened it in two years but am anxious to get back to it. Plan to pick up a water weight set to use. In the meantime, I am continuing to run/walk miles on the treadmill as well as daily arm exercises and Yoga or Pilates once a week. The fitness center at work should open Monday so I am hoping to start varying my workouts some.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Easter. My goal is not to touch any of those peanut butter eggs that tempt me so much....lol

• 1Athena1
    edited March 2013

Ten laps of breathstroke in the pool and some power yoga by myself in the yoga room. It felt good, and I am glad to be exercising through the pain.

• nicole503
    nicole503 Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2013

Half hour brisk walk after dinner on feet that are becoming increasingly sore from Taxol induced neuropathy.  I am worried about the neuropathy and increasingly about the damage that chemo is doing to all of me.  The walk is the only thing that has provided any relief (for the worry) over the last two days.  Really hoping I can keep it up.

• 1Athena1
    edited March 2013

Nicole - congratulations - you really did a hero's workout. I never had chemo, but I am sure I would have stayed in bed throughout.

• Momine
    edited March 2013

Nicole, the soreness for me was inflammation of the muscles, according to my onc. It was especially bad in my thighs. I remember it really bothered me through rads, so that was already about 2 months out from last chemo, but it did eventually go away. Keep moving even if you have to go slow. Also try to incorporate as many anti-inflammatory foods as you can stand - chilis, fatty fish, greens, anything in the onion or cabbage families, turmeric. My onc also OKed using OTC anti-inflammatories a few times.

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

Maybe I can feel a little Spring in the air???

Upped my mileage in preparation for my May half-marathon. Did 10.5 miles today. Felt pretty good, slow and steady. Then followed up w/back and tris at the gym.  Rest day tomorrow.

So good, so good!!

Happy Easter, everyone.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2013

Ran in pool for an hour then came home and the weather is perfect so walked outside for an hour and half.  Wiped out but feelilng good.  Hopefully can drop some of the winter weight.

Happy Easter my sculpted friends.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2013

hi ladies, I walked for an hour yesterday and logged 5.7 km = 3.54 miles.

Wishing those of you who celebrate a Happy Easter!  Happy Spring to all.

Happy Keister photo happykeister.jpg

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2013

We are having the most glorious Easter weekend ever!  I rounded up my friends...two adults and a 9 year old, and managed to get all of us plus 4 bicycles into/onto my Subaru, and headed for the Foothills Trail.  It was Simon's first time on an adult-type bicycle, and he did really well.  Fortunately, after the first 8 miles, Amanda and I continued and left the two guys to have some father-son time.  That way, we both got some real exercise.

We stopped at a playground, and my first time ever on a curvy slide.  Did both of them.  Very different from growing up, when part of the fun was seeing if you made it down w/o the slide tipping over.  Then on to a beaver pond, prior to "refreshments" at the Trailside Espresso.  I can feel it.  Finally, a fast cycle back into a headwind, to pick up the car as the guys were stopping at the park.  I also wanted to get some daffodils at the bulb farm which was where we had left the car.

Saw amazing critters including emus and a Brahma bull who was amongst the beef heifers.  Hmmmm.  I am wondering what Brahma-Hereford steak is like?  (As expecting progeny from this cross.)  No beavers, but did see their house.

We ended up at the Powerhouse Brewery (old substation) a few miles down the road prior to coming back to Seattle.  The most perfect spring day ever.

I am doing 10AM Easter Mass (skipped the 5 AM welcoming one, plus Break-Fast).  I must do the sunrise at Crystal Mountain one year though.  Must have been amazing this AM, as clear throughout the entire area.  But as the later one,  I can wear my Easter finery including a hat.  Now that will be FUN!!!!

• nicole503
    nicole503 Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2013

It IS a fantastic weekend in the NW, Claire.  So glad you were able to enjoy it so fully!!!

I went for a brisk walk yesterday morning, pushing myself harder than I typically do in the evening since I have more energy in the morning.  It felt glorious!  I still get winded easily but it is a big improvement over how I felt when I was on AC chemo.

We will have a house full of 16 people in a few hours so today will be another late afternoon/evening walk during another amazingly beautiful spring day!  So glad for this weather and the return of my energy/enthusiasm for exercise in the midst of blossoming spring beauty all around!

• 1Athena1
    edited March 2013

Back to weights - did a nice suite of leg exercises, then overdid it with chest - even tried some modified pull-ups. Good news is, the 30 percent of my body that hurts isn't any worse. :-)

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited April 2013

Happy Easter, Everyone! We rolled into town about 10pm last night and have been on the move ever since. We had a GREAT time in Arizona. The weather was perfect and I spent every minute I could outside. Walked every morning and evening, did a water aerobics class with a friend, hiked around a nature preserve (desert flowers in bloom), read outside, ate outside, drank coffee (and other beverages) outside....heavenly! Of course, I was NOT a paragon of virtue as I managed to gain three pounds despite all the movement. Mary, we went to the last spring training game of seaon...Chicago Cubs playing their last game in their old stadium (vs Seattle). Sold out crowd, lots of fun....I will say that the Cubs had better work on their defense if they want to win some games! I did an hour of toning today to try to catch up on that part of exercise. School tomorrow...it was supposed to be a day off but we had too many storms Cry.

Happy belated birthday, Cheryl!!!!

Nicole, how many taxols left? We will start the countdown with you!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2013

I am back from today's ride, and have to say I can tell I had a 3 month cycling break.  VERY different muscles.  Beyond glorious for Easter Sunday too.  Went and did my favorite ride in the countryside but less of it than I had planned.  Late start as went after church.  I usually go to the early said Mass, and it was lovely to have the sung Mass, plus choir.  Also hymns I know!!  I wore my hat and Easter finery.

Putting together the outfit was tough as my "floaty stuff" was too floaty, as in waaaaaaay too big.  But I don't yet fit into my super sleek stuff either.  I think I will by the end of the summer.  So major progress.

I stopped by the running shoes store on the way back, but they were closed for the day.  But at least I got as far as the door step!!!

I am doing rack of lamb for dinner.  Plus asparagus.  Plus Potatoes Anna (using up the St Pat's Day bag).  I may add a salad.  Delish and simple.  Plus open a bottle of red from my "cellar". - Claire

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

Just in from the gym. 20 min. HIIT on the treadmill, then shoulders and I did that stupid battle rope.  Been feeling a little short of breath lately when I exert - what's up w/that???  Exemestane?  Or (GULP) AGE!!!?????  (Will be 60 in a couple of weeks, OMG I can't believe I just wrote that, looking at the number it looks OLD!)

Opening day today, baseball fans.  Dare I say it???  GO RED SOX!!Cool