Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited May 2013

Jen, I'm so happy for you! Nicole, glad you checked in and doing so well, Claire have a good ride, Ruth, it's you time for the next few days, Odie16 I lugged groceries and a friend just got a elliptical bike for home, Ann, you are always solid with hooping.

Ran a 5k on this grey, overcast afternoon and rest day tomorrow.

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited May 2013

Claire, I've been wondering where you were! Thought I missed something. I always enjoy hearing about your workouts and your culinary exploits!  And you're so right about being OUTSIDE.

Ruth, I'm chuckling about your "natural" color. Mine takes lots of $$$ and time as well to keep it natural!

Cheryl, 5 years, WOOHOO!!!

Rest day today. 11 mile run w/my son tomorrow at the UNGODLY hour (for him) of 7:30 AM on a SUNDAY!!!!  Our half marathon is next weekend, so after tomorrow I will rest my legs, eat clean and stay hydrated.

Luv to all!!

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2013

Jen, so glad your scan came back clean.

Did my minimum daily requirement today-- 30 minutes hooping.  Dinner with the in-laws later.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited May 2013

Body Combat class this morning, yesterday I had a massage and when he was working on my shoulders I about went through the ceiling, well today I am sore so 'fighting' this morning was not easy, I could barely keep my arms up,

Heidi I say yes, yes, yes go, I have been to two of them and had a great time. Congrats on the clean scan Jen. Claire good to see you, hope you had a nice ride today. Lulu my goddaughter was one of those who was exactly like your DS the word morning was like a four letter word, she now works part time and some days starts work at 4.30am I was shocked when she announced her hours but she's doing it. Hope everyone is having a great weekend, it's absolutely gorgeous here.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited May 2013

hi ladies, been walking daily but not posting as all free time the past three days went into reading Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss.  Library book due today and on reserve by others so couldn't renew.  Great read - highly recommend.  The supermarket will never be the same.  Not that I shop there very much anymore and I'm glad.  Rather patronize the small organic market with fresh local food.

Walked this morning then mowed the lawn this afternoon.  Then rested - phew!  Logged 20.97 km = 13.03 miles since last post.

LuvLuLu, good luck at HM next week!  

Cheryl, congrats on 5 years out! 

Jen, congrats on clean bone scan!

Nicole, yay for feeling stronger & better and finding a comfy swimsuit.

I want to lose 6 pounds in the next 6 weeks.  Anyone else up for the challenge?  Cool

• hbcheryl
    edited May 2013

OMG is it only 6 weeks, I need to lose them cause I know I'm going to gain them back!!!!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited May 2013

LOL Cheryl, it's more like two months but 6 weeks sounds more immediate and I need the motivation!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited May 2013

I can't start any weight loss until after Frida....two more 'end of school' parties next week, and of course there is the traditional 'bring treats on the last day of school' tradition to maintain!

Speaking of school, I was there until 5:00 today and will have to go back tomorrow because when I left, every single table was covered with paperwork Cry. Came home, walked for 45 minutes and toned for 50 (making up for my day off yesterday...sigh!).

Cloudy and humid. I hope it rains, because we went from 'too much snow' to 'we need rain'.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Took Claire's advice and got out of the gym and back out on the trails today.  It was brutal--could DH be trying to kill me? Anyway 10.2 miles of climbing around, some running. Saw many hawks, a wild turkey, 2 huge coyotes and a deer. 

• newyear13
    newyear13 Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2013

today 4.5 mile fast walk/jog

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited May 2013

It's a gorgeous day here - did a 3.5 mile trail hike/run followed by a delicious Sunday brunch at a local hotel.  

cheryl  Congrats on 5 years!  jenjen  Great news on the scan!  

badger  I'm up for the 6 lbs. in 6 weeks challenge - I need some motivation and I'd love to hear any good tips to get started!   

• nicole503
    nicole503 Member Posts: 99
    edited May 2013

Claire ~ You are right about the benefits of exercise OUTSIDE.  Yesterday I walked in the rain with my daughter and rather than finding it to be a drag, we were both delighted.  The delight came as we walked, we didn't start out that way.  I'm heading out to do it again this morning (solo this time so it will be more of a cardiovascular event).

Ruth ~ glad to hear that you are going to fully enjoy your end of school year parties and concentrate on weight after that.  I hope you enjoy the special sweetness that is possible in saying goodbye to full time teaching with your whole heart.  Good luck with the paperwork!

Badger~ I don't think I could realistically lose 6 pounds in 6 weeks but I'd be up for committing to 3.  It has taken me 2 weeks to lose 1 pound and I think that is a sustainable rate for me.  I'm trying to do it with portion control + exercise since that is ultimately the practice I need to have for the rest of my life....

Happy Sunday y'all.  Time to get walking.  Laughing

• luvlulu
    edited May 2013

Nice run this morning with my son.  11 miles and we both felt great.

Enjoy the day, all!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2013

I am off in a bit to do a training ride.  Glad I got a number of you outdoors.  Besides being in nature, it's different and more complete exercise.

I don't think I mentioned the hawk who flew across the trail right in front of me last Saturday!  I could see her tail feathers.  She was carrying a snake (which is why I think a lady hawk bringing food back to her chicks).

SAB.....is your DH a lot taller than you?   I was discussing this with a friend of mine during yesterday's Starbucks stop.  She finally learned that her husband takes one third fewer steps than she does to cover the same distance!

I can feel my lower back muscles today.  I pushed it up a long slow incline, and then high tailed it back as were showers.  I ended up getting only a bit damp. But I did push those muscles.  That is fine.

I ended up doing some work yesterday anyway.  Need to move forward on a couple of fronts, and that requires some mapping out and reflection.  Plus figuring out fit and what really needs to happen.  Great news is that I can now see the results of some of the funding I have secured for the nonprofit.  First video of 10 Questions to ask your doctor.  The list is a bit different for brain tumors vs breast cancer, but similar enough to be applicable.  I also contributed to some of these, or at least indirectly.

So taking my trip through treatment and utilizing in a way to help others.  Plus drawing on my business background.  I feel so very lucky.

I will do the Interurban Trail today which is BORING, but effective in building up distance and stamina.  Plus wonderful iris in the wetlands.

No great meals to report which is why I must visit the West Seattle fruit and veggie place on the way back.  The cheap place in Bellevue I frequent hasn't opened for the season.  Bummer!!!

Hope everyone has a GREAT day! - Claire

• SAB
    edited May 2013

Claire, Yes, DH is 8" taller than I am, and his long legs eat up ground.  It is very difficult for us to run together--I often end up looking like the "straggler" no doubt to be picked off by some hungry wild animal one of these days!  Congrats on the good work you are doing (professionally and physically) it must be very fulfilling.

LuvLuLu, Definitely my idol of the week (again.)  

Ruth it is nice that you are taking your time and relishing these days.

• luvlulu
    edited May 2013

Thanks, SAB, I love being someone's idol!

Claire, re the hawk, you just don't get that on a treadmill!!

• hbcheryl
    edited May 2013

Did Body Step this morning, LB it was all really old stuff so much fun, Ruth enjoy your last days of teacher hood with all of it's cakes and parties :)

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited May 2013

I am a cake and party kind of gal...which is why I also HAVE to be an exercise kind of gal!

Worked at school again, did Pilates Challenge and Firm Sculpt....a very old tape featuring the 'Fanny Lifter' Good and hard. Just got home from Gatsby. Very good and true to the book despite the occasional insertion of rap music. Undecided

O.K. we have now got so much rain that we are under a flood warning!!!

• newyear13
    newyear13 Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2013

today a 3 mile fast walk/jog

• SAB
    edited May 2013

Changed up a little.  Swam some easy laps, but the pool is small and I was rusty.  Maybe 100 calories.  Nice change up though, and a beautiful day. I must say I enjoyed the stretch to the node area.

• _Ann_
    edited May 2013

Ruth, I am with you, exercising is way easier and more fun than avoiding cake :-)

Did my official thirty minutes hooping plus spent time outdoors hooping with my nieces, mother and brother-in-law.  We had five hoops going at once, what fun!

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited May 2013

Had a fabulous trip to New Orleans - Tulane has hands down the best graduation I have ever attended.  Instead of pomp and circumstance they walk in to tunes played by a New Orleans Jazz band, the Dali Lama gave the commencement address, Dr. John got an honarary degree and then sang a couple of songs while everyone is up and dancing, and then they leave to more jazz.  Also got to meet my sons fiancee's family, happy to say the blending of the families went well.  No beignets - and no burbon street either, but good food at a local restaurant after graduation, and then off to a local bar with an outside patio for celebratory cocktails.  Only gained a pound!  Hey, I'm in for 6 pounds in 6 weeks, any motivation is good for me.  And I only have my daughters shower next weekend and then her wedding a month later to derail me :)

Did get a lot of walking in over the weekend, unfortunately in inappropriate walking shoes, so I am suffering from some blisters today.  Plus all that plane time has my back out of whack, got up to do classical stretch this morning and realized I wasn't moving very well - hope to get out at lunch and walk, that and some ibuporfen usually help.

• SAB
    edited May 2013

pat-so many happy events in your life, congratulations!

Took my dd out for dinner last night and ate too much Frown Off to the gym for yoga and spinning.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited May 2013

3.6 mile trail run/hike this afternoon, lots of hills on a new part of the trail and loved it.  Truly glorious day today - clear skies and mid 60's, after a brief rain storm this morning.   

DD made a yummy red velvet cake this morning, this won't help with efforts to lose any weight!  Tongue Out

pat  Lots to celebrate, enjoy!  

• Waitingforthenextstep
    Waitingforthenextstep Member Posts: 124
    edited May 2013

Is anyone exercising, going to the gym or classes while still wearing a wig? I will be wearing one for awhile and the only thing I can do is walking.  Any advice for wig wearers? Thanks.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2013

Yes on the wig.  Ditch the thing as soon as you can.  I now live in Seattle, so wore a beret for walking or a helmet liner for cycling.  What about a sun hat that ties under the chin???  I would NOT want to wear a wig in a NYC summer.

Anyway, the real pits was cycling in the rain with a wet wig.  Which goes back to why I ditched the thing as soon as I could.  I dyed those micro locks and went commando.  I actually looked edgy and cool that way.

Good luck with the walking.  And remember, the right hat can be a ton of fun. - Claire

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited May 2013

Pat, what a weekend and yes, best graduation I've ever heard of.. I mean, who can top the Dali Lama as keynote speaker?Wink

Body step and pilates today and I'll jump at 6 in 6 too Badger.Cool

• nicole503
    nicole503 Member Posts: 99
    edited May 2013

I'm ditching the wig and taking my peach fuzz out for a walk in the late afternoon spring sun with my daughters!  It's supposed to start raining again tomorrow so I can put that hats back on then when I will need them for warmth.  There is something fun and liberating about just sporting your bald (or almost bald in my case) head!

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited May 2013

Pat that grad did sound perfect.

I have worn my wig 5 times and never for exercising or yoga. Too bad for those who might have given my appearance a second thought. My hair is now a tiny fraction of an inch and I am not wearing anything unless it gets cold. I figure that at 64 and with a nose piercing, people may think I am just eccentric.

I have now had #9/28 radiation treatments and so far so good. I am feeling almost as good as before chemo and did 2 hikes this past few days. One was 13 k with about 400 m elevation gain and yesterday was 16 k but not so much elevation. Today I went to yoga and biked about 30 k. I had to walk up tiny hills on the return and pulse high but am still out there. I am training for a trek in Nepal next March and anyone is welcome!

• _Ann_
    edited May 2013

Pat, that sounds like a lovely day, wow!  WaitingForTheNextStep, I wore a bandanna or a buff to exercise class and walking outside during chemo.  The bandana was the only thing comfortable enough in truly hot weather.  

Day 20 of the hooping challenge, I did my 30 minutes.  Not doing extra as I was wiped out today after a full weekend of socializing with the in-laws.  I'm just about to lose my internet connection overnight as part of eliminating my landline phone service.  Yikes, I'm already fearing the internet withdrawal.  Should be back online by 8pm tomorrow.