Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited May 2013

Saturday - one hour water aerobics then later in day walked in the park.

Sunday - gym - 30 mins bike; 30 mins treadmill; 30 mins upper body weights and mat stretching

Today - 45 mins Dance DVD.

Now - bed - nighty-night.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited May 2013

New Orleans sounds great! It is hard to find good but fashionable walking around shoes!

I did most of my exercises at home, but wore a wig anytime I was out in public. I didn't get eccentric until my hair grew back, then I briefly dyed it purple!

Glad you are doing well, Marion. It feels so good when you can feel yourself start veering back toward normal.

Thinking of the poor, poor people in Oklahoma.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,856
    edited May 2013

Cheryl: Congratulations on 5 years!!!

Pat: Now that's what I call a graduation!

Marian: I love reading your posts. So inspiring! Good luck with your rads.

Good evening all. My heart and thoughts are with Oklahoma. Such devastation.

I haven't posted in awhile but I've been staying active. Today I walked/ran at the park. It was hot but it felt good to work up a nice sweat.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2013

Oh yeah, I forgot: Total Body Makeover & a little treadmill (still raining).

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited May 2013

Pat the graduation sounds fantastic. Wow Marion, you go girl. Waiting there is a young girl at my gym wearing a baseball cap that has pony tails on it, she does treadmill, elliptical and stair climber plus weights no one but those she's confided in know.

Tonight was spin, my foot is bothering me to the point I think I need a cortisone shot, sigh....

Praying for those in Oklahoma, just can't comprehend the total devastation.

p>

• newyear13
    newyear13 Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2013

Today I did a 2 mile walk/run.  : )  

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited May 2013

I wore my wig exactly once. The thing bugged me no end. I went bareheaded as soon as I had even cover, although it was perhaps, being generous, a half inch long. Like Mariane, I figured people would just take me for a crazy lady and I really did not care. As it turned out, lots of people liked the ultra-short hair.

It has also surprised me that lots of people simply don't notice one way or the other. The other day I saw a guy I hadn't seen in a couple of years. Prior to DX I had unusually long and thick hair and I was about 25 pounds heavier than I am now. Not only did he reocgnize me in my current incarnation, he congratulated me on how I hadn't changed one bit in the years that passed since our last meeting. He said it a few times too. That cracked me up.

Cancer may not be good for much, but it is certainly a good cure for narcissism.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2013

I can't imagine how Dolly Parton has managed to wear those big wigs all her life. Or actors in plays under those hot lights for hours and hours. Now, I can't even stand to put on a hat!

• Waitingforthenextstep
    Waitingforthenextstep Member Posts: 124
    edited May 2013

I never wore hats either, even during the freezing NY winters.  I am 3 months PFC and have head cover but no length.  Still doing herceptin, some say it inhibits growth, I don't know. I would love to buy the baseball cap with ponytails just to change up.  Going out for my walk,(with wig).  Getting hot and humid up here.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited May 2013

Body balance in the morning and just in from a 5k run.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Ok Ladies, I'm taking the plunge and jumping in!  Only a tiny bit intimidated by all the exercise you each can manage, but I figure I've got to get serious about this and start somewhere.....so, here I am!  I currently manage a 2 m walk daily, at about 16 to 17 minutes/mile with a few good hills, albeit short, thrown in.  It's just that with being on the A team too, it's not enough.  This body is aging faster than my bit of exercise is combating, so, serious I'm going to get!  That and I just developed a bit of cording in my armpit and the LE PT decided I needed to do some free weight (2 lbs) and strength training.  Oh....and today I stood in front of the full length mirror to do these exercises, and that's enough to get anyone in a serious mood, lol.  So.....at a young 65, I'm jumping in.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Hi Sew.  Jump in...I'll cushion your landing (still plenty of cushion left!) I think you have a great start.

DD#2 is home sick today (homework-itis?) so I will skip the gym and hop on my treadmill for a couple of miles, followed by energetic (if grumpy) housecleaning.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2013

Welcome Sew!!!  Managing 2 miles daily is a lot better than most Americans.  That said, my big learning is that it's WEIGHTS that keep the top half shapely.  I suck it up and do them weekdays.  Because much as I find this beyond boring, what happens if I don't do this is even worse.

Flab and lack of muscle tone are not inevitable.  But counteracting this takes discipline as we get older.

I use fitness goals to keep moving.  The big one is the Seattle-to-Portland where I would be dead meat if I didn't train.  Telling everyone that you are signing up for something (5 or 10k walk???) is the trick.  Because you don't want to go back on Facebook and admit you couldn't do what you said you would because you didn't train.

I try to do as many errands as possible on foot.  This is how I ended up at my wine bar meeting last night with meeting materials, a bicycle tube, organic eggs, and elephant garlic in one bag, and another larger bag full  of veggies.  I dragged all this the mile back from my meeting and later on just plain fun times.  I think I get extra credit for hauling this stuff home.

Anyway, it's all about ramping things up a bit.  This will up the old metabolism.  So will building muscle.

Good luck, and happy walking.......and whatever else you decide to do. - Claire

• jenjenl
    jenjenl Member Posts: 409
    edited May 2013

I wear my boston red sox hat everywhere - I don't have enough hair to go without yet...getting there though.  I hate my wig, I've only worn it 3 times bc it gives me anxity bc I know it's fake and I hate it. 

• Waitingforthenextstep
    Waitingforthenextstep Member Posts: 124
    edited May 2013

I don't have enough hair to go without either.  I hate wearing my wig and I know it looks fake.  I've tried to pin it, flatten it.  This is just the way it is for the next few months.  At least it doesn't have SE's like chemo.  It's all part and parcel though.

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Thanks Sab and Claire, with a soft (?) place to land and some tricks on ways to get active, I've got it made.  That and admitting here what I have and gasp, haven't done!  That said I had 7 minutes between getting home and leaving again today, so I spent 5 of them on the stationary bike....I figure that counts for intention anyway.

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2013

Ruth, I love it that you dyed your hair purple.  I was tempted to do that with pre-chemo and post-chemo hair, but haven't quite given into the impulse yet.

Day 21 of my 30 day hoop challenge, I did about 40 minutes.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited May 2013

Welcome Sew.  Yes, 5 mins on the bike does count.  Walking over to the bike and climbing on counts!  We count everything.  Seriously you are doing more that most of the population, BC or no-BC so you are on your way.  Keep up the great work.

Well, another 120 steps and will have my 10,000 in today.  Walked after work in humid 84 degree weather.  Still out of shape though because my body is screaming and I headed for the ibuprofen first thing.  But at least I got out since I had a chocolate attack today.  Will walk in place while I watch the news before bed to get those remaining steps.

Night friends.

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Thanks Patoo. I've been wearing my pedometer, but this thing has an attitude, I swear. It won't count steps unless you take at least 5 to start....and it's fewer than that from my sink to fridge, lol. But to get to 10,000 steps it seems I need to do over an hour of aerobic walking and then lots of back and forth in the house. Seems to be over 5 miles. I'm working up to it though.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2013

Welcome, Mostly Sew! Yes, everything counts.....good job on getting started.

The 7th grade team I've worked with for years had a little get together tonight....that made me a little nostalgic, for sure.

Just did an hour on the treadmill.

Ann, I dyed it purple just because I wanted to, and thought, "Seriously, what is the worst that could happen?"

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited May 2013

I also am using my pedometer and it seems to be a positive move. We all walk a lot more each day than we think. I walk almost a kilometer each way to and from my rads each day from where I park and that is a real bonus.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2013

I am having a nightcap of brandy to get out the taste of vile (and expensive!) food at the cycling club meeting place.  I can't wait for tomorrow night's dinner which will be a celebration as opposed to torture.  I was starving after my run, so ordered a substantial entree.  It was disgusting, but I ate it as was famished.  I washed down with 2 beers, the only good part of the meal.

I did exercise, doing weights and crunches, and also a 5k run in the rain.  Much more gratifying than the swill described above.  I don't get that some people think that the food is actually edible.  Just greasy with lots of chile peppers.  No chips, and this is a New Mexico (????????????) place.  BLECH.

I just called up our club president and complained. 

Anyway, the good news is that I now have a local source (w/i one mile) for fresh eggs.  This is great, and I am sure that Phi's chickens get only the best of care.

I think I will have another siip....make that glass.....of brandy. - Claire

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited May 2013

Welcome Mostly Sew, yes we count everything here, and I confess I exercise cause I LOVE to eat :) I've said it before but I wish I had discovered that I liked exercising in my 20s and not in my 50s but at least we made the start and that's what's important.

Tonight did a Body Step class.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited May 2013

Welcome Mostly Sew and what good walking routine you have.

Off to the gym for freestyle step.

Recent Time article that reinforces our daily exercise ethos:

http://healthland.time.com/2013/05/08/how-exercise-may-lower-breast-cancer-risk/

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2013

Does lifting a gazillion boxes count as exercise? Feels like it does! I have been walkking the dog miles- though Sunday he ran after another dog whose owner believes that leashes "are constrictive", so her dog doesn't have one. My dog dragged me on the asphalt (he ways 110 lbs) about 10 yards, I hit my head, have road rash, and had twigs in my hair, and she asked her docg- are you ok? Then told me to control my leashed dog who was just running to greet her poorly behaved retriever. Not- are you ok? Nothing. I wanted to belt her. Instead, just called the dog patrol.

Nothing to report here, three days from big move and I promise I will get more regular checking in.

Pat01- We have to get together for an exercise date!!!

• ruthbru
    edited May 2013

Gee, I hope that is a dog from your OLD neighborhood, not your new one!

Speaking of bad pets, our evil neighbor cat, Tigger, has apparently survived the weather, and lives to terrorize my cats, other neighborhood animals, and any humans who get in her way. Frown 

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited May 2013

Thanks for the link, LilacBlue! I had seen a report on the estrogen part (posted by Momine) but the other research discussed also struck me.

They found that women who did any exercise at all had a 6% lower risk of breast  cancer than sedentary women. However, women who had children and exercised about  10 to 19 hours each week either during their reproductive years or after  menopause experienced a much greater benefit, with a 30% lower risk of breast  cancer compared to women who exercised less or were inactive.

Yoga and kettlebells to get me ready for Body Jam tonight.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited May 2013

Strangley sore since my weekend away - not joint sore but large muscle sore, yet I can't say I have done much in the way of exercise to make them that way.  No other symptoms, just feel like I have an old ladys body.  Did get a walk in yesterday, and a little classical stretch this morning. Will try for another walk at lunchtime, though showers are predicted. Got a lot to do around the house too, bridal shower this weekdend, so a lot of clean and sculpt.

Swim - good luck with your move - such a chore!  We will need to get together once you are up here and settled.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited May 2013

Heidi, that paragraph is why I aim for 1.5 hours of exercise a day. 

• jenjenl
    jenjenl Member Posts: 409
    edited May 2013

However, women who had children and exercised about 10 to 19 hours each week either during their reproductive years or after menopause experienced a much greater benefit, with a 30% lower risk of breast cancer compared to women who exercised less or were inactive.

10-19 hours a week, that's a part time job :) I am aiming for 200 hours a week.  Between work and kid duties I think that's all I can do.