Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited May 2013

Jenjen, we have 3 dogs. DH does most of the walking, but I usually walk one of them 2X a day. Even a short walk is about 20 minutes, so that usually adds up to 45 minutes a day. Then I either go to the gym for about an hour or go for a non-dog walk in the evening for about 45 minutes, and I do most of my errands and shopping by foot. So it is not like I am pumping major iron for hours every day, but it all adds up.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Sometimes make ten+ hours, not always though.

Yoga and spin put me 2 hours closer today. Spin was hard...I am slowly turning up the tension on the bike.  Claire, don't tell me to cycle outside, I have no balance!  I would be like that little guy on Laugh-In who fell off his tricycle every episode (OK, seriously dating myself-does anyone get the reference?)

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Sab, yep, I know the reference, know the no balance feeling too.  Great comparison....lol

I did my 2m walk and added in an extra hill, probably about .2m  I did upper body strength training, a few sit ups and then danced while doing laundry....you guys said it all counts, right?  Still only at 6800 steps, so will take another walk this afternoon and then veg out.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2013

SAB....still remember a work colleague who came in on crutches....from falling off the stationary bicycle in the gym.  So even those aren't foolproof!!!  I am over my food snit from last night.  Something to do with those bacon blue cheeseburgers I just bought.

I am off for a run in a few.

Stoked...because I have a pipeline of work that I think I will get paid for doing.  I think imminent.  Plus, I got a call from a client who needs my help on a small project.  Which has a tight turnaround.  So no Wine Hop tomorrow evening.

Best of all, I found a chart from years ago.  I need the data to use as a starting point for some work I am doing.  This is all estimation, but at least will have some factual basis.  Really critical next step with the nonprofit work I am doing.

As for exercise, it really does all count.  However, I didn't dance when doing the laundry.  I think I do about 10 hours per week.  Six of this is cycling.  Which reminds me........  See all of you ladies after my run. - Claire

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,856
    edited May 2013

Finished a hot, humid walk/run this evening. Cooler weather predicted for the Memorial Weekend.

Good night all!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited May 2013

Treadmill again.

Keep up all the good work, ladies!

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2013

Yipes, I'm still trying to be consistent with 30 to 60 minutes per day.  Ten to nineteen hours would be a stretch.  Momine, I like your approach, getting in multiple sessions per day.  SAB, I remember that Laugh-In gag as well.  I always feel old seeing Goldie Hawn and remembering her on that show.

About 40 minutes hooping plus a 30 minute walk today.

• newyear13
    newyear13 Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2013

3 mile walk/run today

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited May 2013

Laugh In: 'Sock It To Me' and "Here comes the judge, here comes to judge".

Off to buy donuts for my class and order a cake for our last staff meeting tomorrow. Another retirement party tonight.....too bad there isn't a little pig icon I could insert! Tongue Out

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited May 2013

A walk at lunch yesterday, and some vacuuming and sculpt last night.  Rain predicted for Saturday, was hoping to have the shower on the deck, now how am I going to squeeze in 25 ladies into my house??  Maybe we will have to move the shower to the garage!

Hope you all have a wonderful memorial day weekend, and I will catch up with you all next week.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited May 2013

You know the old saying 'there's no fool like an old fool' well that was me yesterday. Started the day off with a Body Pump then a Sh'bam class, then last night did a Body Combat class, well I wear orthotics in my shoes so I changed shoes from the morning and when I got to the gym in the evening my right foot felt kind of funny (and of course that's the foot with the neuroma) dumb me had sat in the bed to change my shoes pulled the orthotic out of the left shoe and replaced it and then proceeded to just simply put on the right shoe with no orthotic or insole geese where did my memory go!!!! Honestly I was moaning and groaning in my head about going to the class so obviously I just wasn't thinking. Then to round out the evening went to a graduation pizza party, sigh.......

I also remember Laugh In, and that would be me too cause I can't ride a bike as I always fall, and Claire on Monday night the bike I had the seat wouldn't stay locked in so when we would sit down from jumps my seat kept slipping back at one point I almost sat down on the bar, now that could have been an unfortunate accident!!

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited May 2013

Pilates this morning and 5k run this afternoon. 

I'd not call you a fool Cheryl..I'd say passionate.Wink

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,856
    edited May 2013

Push mowed in 95% humidity for over an hour. I was one sweaty ball when I was finished! DH will finish the rest of the yard later today on the riding mower.

Hope to get in a walk this evening.

• morwenna
    morwenna Member Posts: 204
    edited May 2013

Hi there, I just discovered this thread, and it is great! I just looked at the last 2-3 pages, and nobody has mentioned Deep Water Workout.

I'm still on chemo, 4 more weeks of Taxol to go, and I developed clots iny legs and lungs while on 4 cycles of AC before that, despite trying to at least walk every day. So my exercise tolerance was greatly reduced, but in the last couple of weeks a friend introduced me to deep water, and I love it!

It is non impact on my feet, which are a bit sore at times. And had cardio, core, and general strengthening elements, depending on how hard you work, of course. :-)

I go 2-3 times a week, and I've improved a lot and halted the weight gain that started on chemo. Above all it is fun, and the hour goes really quickly!!

I used to be quite fit, and played field hockey since school and all through to my forties. Latterly I got out of the habit of regular exercise since a knee op in 2009, (no excuses), but now I have a big incentive and motivation to really get back onto shape again, and hopefully many years of healthy living ahead of me!!

• lilacblue
    edited May 2013

Morweena, welcome and so good you found us!  I just viewed deep water on Youtube and, wow, what a great workout.

• SAB
    edited May 2013

Oh, I'm going to Youtube next to take a look. Hi Morweena!

Ruthbru, you only retire once (usually) so savor every moment and every bite.

OK, today a walk with some bc sisters, an excellent visit, and a little too much food. 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited May 2013

hi ladies and welcome MostlySew and Morwenna.  I'm a walker and sport a pedometer.

Logged 12.91 km = 8.02 miles since last post.  (SAB I also get the Laugh In ref LOL!!)

Today, however, I've spent in front of the PC, watching our legislature work on the budget.

It's nearly 7:30 p.m. and they're so far behind, it'll be midnight before they're done.  Yell

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2013

Welcome Morwenna.  Smile

Did my 30 minutes for the hoop challenge.  A tiny bit of yardwork as well.  

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

I had an "oops" day....only did half my walking objective, one quarter of my aerobic goal and splurged on a garden burger, WITH fries. I haven't had fries in forever. Yum! Did have a fabulous get together and walk with some BC sisters though.

Morwenna, welcome. deep water aerobic training is wonderful. Our local pool is outside and it's still a bit cold for me, but soon I'll start up again.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited May 2013

Welcome Morwenna. I only do aerobics in water 4 ft deep.  Don't have deep water near me or I would try it as I love water exercise.  My sister in NC goes for deep water aeribics but has lots of trouble staying above water - even with tubes, vests, or whatever they wear to stay up.  She still goes under so it's even more of a workout since she has to fight to not drown.

No 'formal' exercise either yesterday nor tonight.  Tonight had a church meeting; just got home and my hip/thigh is screaming for ibuprofen.  Saw ortho doc last night and a hip replacement is in my near future - phooey!

3-day weekend so I will make up for missed movement.

Night my sculpted friends.

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited May 2013

Yay Morwena, I have not done deep water for a long time but yes it is great. Not for me doing rads right now but maybe after.

Ruth I am on the prunes daily as the Anastrazole seems to be constipating. And I love it that they may be bone builders.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2013

My exercise today was a trek to get eggs.  Really!!!  So about a 2 mile walk up Queen Anne Hill to my cycling club contact who keeps chickens in Seattle.  I am having a mushroom and elephant garlic tops omelet for dinner.  I wil report on this creation.

These were the best fed chickens I have ever seen.  Plump and sleek.  I have high expectations for the omelet.  (Nutrition lesson here.)

Back at work as have to get something out tonight still.  Can't wait for dinner. - Claire

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited May 2013

Welcome Morweena, I used to do deep water aerobics through the city but it's in the morning and I've turned into a night girl

Tonight I traveled to another city and did RPM and then followed up with a Body Jam class, really got a great workout.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited May 2013

Great workout, Morweena! I do the shallow variety in a class during the summer. But I also jog in deep water in the the lake with a flotation device. Now I see all the other exercises one can do in deep water. Cool! If only summer would get here.

Sorry about the hip, patoo. I once read about this yoga teacher who had a hip replacement in her 70's and is still teaching yoga in her 90's.  LOL on your sister drowning with noodles and all!

Went to Body Jam, but there was a sub who did Sh'bam instead. It's more relaxing than BJ cuz you don't have to remember the sequences.

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited May 2013

Morwenna, welcome to the club!

Have my mammogram scheduled for today and an appointment w/my breast surgeon. Ooooh, boy, can't believe it's been a year since I started this journey.  It was last Memorial Day weekend I found out DCIS had returned w/a vengeance and I would need surgery.  WOW, the year flew by.

No workout today. I'm resting up for the half-marathon on Sunday.  Looks to be a miserable, dreary day, cold and wet. Oh well, you do what you gotta do!  But I will be doing a lot of walking today back and forth to the T station to take the subway into MGH.

Happy Friday everyone.

• morwenna
    morwenna Member Posts: 204
    edited May 2013

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Marianelizabeth, why no deep water during rads? Will I have to stop then as well? I start rads July 15. Hopefully the good weather for hikes will be here by then! :)

• SAB
    edited May 2013

Leaving now for 4 flat, brisk miles with a buddy.  Tonight 4 brisk miles of gentle incline with DH.

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited May 2013

Morwenna, I am sure you can carry on with your deep water during rads. I am just not going to start something new right now. I was told in rads teaching that swimming is fine but need to change right away, shower and mositurize. I think the chlorine or whatever is in pool water is not good for rads skin. Mine is fine so far #13/28 this morning but I do expect that to change. I walked 5 k towards home after rads and my husband picked me up at that point after a physio appt. I gave him~~I go every Friday to PT  but he needed it more that me today. So I plan to walk another 5 k (maybe) and bike to and from yoga late afternoon as our son is taking our car to Vancouver Island to do a Olympic length triathlon. He has done 60+ this year already on his own to raise money for a charity and one official on in March but this is the first with open water not a pool. 

• lilacblue
    edited May 2013

Freestyle step and bodybalance today

Happy Friday Everyone!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited May 2013

Total of 15,000 steps, 2 miles of which were on the treadmill at the gym, followed by a half hour of weights and 15 minutes of stretching. A bunch of the tennis kids were in the gym with their coach and had music playing, so it was fun.