Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited June 2013

Thanks for the anniversary wishes all.

I had fun today. There is a group of youngish retired teachers (such as myself Wink) who walk for an hour every Wednesday morning (calling themselves WOW...Women of Wednesday) & then have breakfast (perhaps not the greatest weight loss plan!), and today I joined them (which means I really am retired!). They walk some place different every week (the originator of this group used to a be cross country coach, so knows all the spots), and go indoors to a mall if the weather is too awful. I'm not sure how many are involved altogether, because people just make it when they can. But today 5 of us walked around a park & through some nice residential areas down by the river. Did some toning with Denise Austin this afternoon.

edited to add: Cheryl, it is OK to take a day off or do something not poundy.....we don't want you to wear out your legs anytime soon!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited June 2013

Ruth, that sounds very nice with the walking group.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2013

Ruth, thanks for the story about how the nicks tell the tale.  So appropriate!  Happy Anniversary and enjoy your walking group.  You'll have them whipped into shape in no time!  ;-)

Walked Sun afternoon, then Mon & Tues early mornings.  Best time of day when the forecast calls for muggy weather with clouds of mosquitos.  Did 30 mins yoga when came home from work today.

Logged 15.95 km = 9.88 miles since last post.  ♥

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

They are fast. I will have to stay in shape to keep up with them! Even with all the rain, we don't have mosquitoes yet.....maybe it is too cold for them!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited June 2013

Joy, I would just cook as if I were feeding an army..lol

Cheryl, be gentle to yourself for a day or two...Hope those hips feel better soon.

Ruth, your walking group sounds great and will be a great way to start your Wednesday.

Completed 10 miles between the bike and Elliptical tonight plus free weights and sit ups.

Hope everyone takes cover if necessary and stays safe if in the path of the storms. Really hope the weather crews are making a big hoopla out of nothing.

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited June 2013

Ruth, happy anniversary, your walking club sounds fun.  Claire, yeah, probably not so good to take a ride from a stranger even if hunky.  Momine & Heidihill, thanks for those links about osteoporosis.  I have osteopenia in hips and spine.  Hips improved since last DEXA but the spine got worse.  I was not clear what specific exercises help the spine, and my GP wasn't much help.  Mary, it's so great to see the hoop reports.  I signed up for a workshop this weekend with an awesome hooper.  I need a couple new moves to keep things interesting.

Well I missed a couple days checking in but I didn't miss my exercise.  Walked and hooped Monday, hooped yesterday and today.  I really got into the habit of using the 30 minute timer, now it's routine.  I'm also dragging a 100 foot garden hose out every other day since part of my irrigation system is broken.  I'm counting that as strength training.

I had a lymphedema scare (swelling in breast, armpit, and back) but went in and the surgical NP told me she thinks it's still reactions to radiation and I should give it 3 more months.  The swelling comes and goes so I am inclined to believe her.  I am also noticing new tightening down my ribcage.  More reason to stretch!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2013

Well....new twist on my evening run.  RAN the mile to the wine bar and spent about an hour there tasting a couple of wines.  Then did a waterfront run with the manager, Sarah, and her dog Lucy.  I was worried as Sarah is THAT GOOD, half my age, and was a track star in college.

But I did just fine, and both of us had a blast.  ~4 miles in total.

I still need to make dinner.  Anyway, a new milestone, and I feel wonderful. - Claire

• cyano
    cyano Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2013

I overdid the weights and ended up with tendonitis in my elbow. Today was the first day back in the gym after a month. I did very light weights and so far no pain. I'll wait until Monday and if it's good then I'll go back to the usual schedule but sensibly build up the weights.

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited June 2013

Beautiful 8 mile run this morning.  Now just in from food shopping/sculpt.  Time to shower, then off to work I go.  Must remember to get up and move from my desk so I don't completely tighten up.

Riding was so fun last night. The weather was beautiful and at the end we were treated to a beautiful double rainbow!  Nice little gift from God.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited June 2013

Ruth - your walking group sounds wonderful - a perfect way to make yourself get up and out.  Luv - a double rainbow - beautiful! Claire - I work with a marathoner who has a sticker on her car that says, "Will Run For Wine" - sounds like your night last night.  Cool  Ann - Hose Drag N Sculpt definitely counts as strength training!

So far so good on the storms, although the radar looks nasty for later today.

30 minute run this morning - it was a two bunny day!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited June 2013

I also cycle for strawberry shortcake.  I just emailed a friend and told him I would be doing that ride which is Saturday week.  Then, I will be doing the 76 mile "metric century" the following day.  Both rides have a good number of hills.

This weekend will be slower and more fun.  At least what I am aiming for.  I may do some more Seattle exploring on Sunday.  Last Sunday's ride was such fun.

The other thing I want to sign up for is the waterfront salmon dinner at the end of the month.  Salmon and blueberry crisp.  Not sure what else. $20, and benefits the Seattle Parks.  Catered by Tom Douglas who has a number of great restaurants here.

I have been trying on clothes I haven't been able to wear in a number of years.....they are starting to FIT!!  It really is nice being about 5 pounds thinner.  It should be more like ten in a couple of months after all the cycling.

Unless I develop a taste for shortcake and blueberry crisp..... - Claire

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited June 2013

Thank you for the lovely double rainbow on horseback image in my mind Luvlulu.  Good on the running Mary. Good to see on this thread Cyano.

Pink ribbon pilates this morning.  Three women sporting a sleeve for obvious reasons and last week was sleeveless for all. Well, today marks one year out from surgery and what a difference a year makes.Smile Sure learned how to get my priorities in the right order.Wink  

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

A gorgeous day here, 70s, sunny, a little breeze! Had coffee on the front porch, walked with a friend, and then spent the rest of the day washing window, which I only do once a year as I live in a split level, so the upper floor involves standing on a chair and stretching myself way out to get to the outside of the pane (except in the kitchen where I have to stand in the sink and stretch out from there....Good Grief!). Anyway, they are done and I think I got enough toning for the legs, arms and stretching in without any further work! Maybe I will now go read on the deck. Cool

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

An hour on the treadmill. 

• odie16
    edited June 2013

Interval training on the treadmill, weight training and some stretching...

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2013

hi everyone and welcome cyano.  Gorgeous here, too!  Got out early this morning and also walked to meet a friend for lunch.  Logged 6.97 km = 4.33 miles for the day.

Another nice day on tap for tomorrow.  Cool

• _Ann_
    edited June 2013

My usual 30 minutes hooping.  

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited June 2013

Usual gym outing, 25 minutes on treadmill, 15 minutes bone-building yoga, 40 minutes weights, 10 minute walk home for cool-down.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited June 2013

Yikes - wild weather yesterday afternoon.  At one point there was a tornado warning for my work location, so we all huddled down on the lowest level (customers and all) till the storm passed.  It got so black outside and the rain was intense and blowing sideways most of the time.  When we got home we were lucky - a few branches down and no power, but a particularly intense burst went through just 2 blocks from us - major trees down.  They're not sure yet whether it was a small tornado or just an intense microburst part of the storm.  Whew!  No one was injured as far as I know, and the power came back on a few hours later.  

Pilates DVD this morning.  Have a 5K tomorrow morning, and it's supposed to be beautiful and cool, so perfect running weather.  Laughing

• lilacblue
    edited June 2013

At the gym this morning for freestyle step and body balance and then ran 5k this afternoon.

Hoping the weather is perfect for you Mary and Momine and Ann, good going!Cool

• SAB
    edited June 2013

Friday fun day--a nice brisk walk with my walking buddy.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,856
    edited June 2013

Mary: I know you were scared yesterday! We had that weather also. Lots and lots of homes still without power.

Walked/ran this afternoon. Yesterday's weather was followed by cool, breezy weather so I decided to exercise earlier than I usually do.

My dear SIL is being admitted into the Hospice House today. We are going to visit her later. She has been so sick this year and we have been visiting her either in the hospital or at home since the middle of January when she got the flu and was admitted into the hospital. She has COPD and Stage IV melanoma. The melanoma started under her thumb nail. The nail fall off last year and she had her thumb removed. No one suspected melanoma - thought it was a horrible infection. Then she had lymph nodes removed and they were positive. The melanoma had metastasized to her already diseased lungs. It was like it knew to go to her weakest point. So she was given chemo last summer specific for melanoma. And it was working! Her 15 tumors were shrinking.

Then she got the flu in January.

While in the hospital in January they discovered a brain met. She had it surgically removed. Had a stroke from the surgery. Then developed a blood clot all the way down her paralyzed leg. Even with all of this, she had gamma knife for the brain met. Been in and out of the hospital 6 times since January. Last admission was for cellulitis, colitis, low potassium, and malnutrition.

All of this to a lovely woman who wants to live. I hate cancer.

edited for typo

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited June 2013

Wonderland, what an ordeal for your SIL. I hope she'll be more comfortable in hospice.

Yoga tonight. I went to some classes at the gym and will try to re-create the poses.

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited June 2013

Wonderland, how terrible. Cry  and she still has the will to live.

It's a horrible disease.

• SAB
    edited June 2013

Wonderland, so sorry for what your SIL has gone through.

Departing for a walk with my daughter.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited June 2013

Oh gosh Wonderland.  I am so sorry for all of you.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

Wonderland, I am so sorry. Hugs and prayers to you all.

In the middle of a big sorting/cleaning/organizing project, so just did some abs.

• odie16
    edited June 2013

Wonderland, sending heartfelt prayers for peace to your SIL and family...

Did the Elliptical and bike tonight plus weights.

• _Ann_
    edited June 2013

Wonderland, I'm so sorry for your SIL's ordeal.

Hooping plus yardwork-n-sculpt tonight.

• lilacblue
    edited June 2013

Wonderland, I'm so sorry and may peace be with all of you.