Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited July 2013

Walked 45 minutes & another hour of toning. I leave for vacation Thursday, so am trying to 'tone ahead'. My first stop will be my sister's. She has a Husky, so I'm not worried about getting enough walking in!

Luvlulu....have fun with Paul! Kiss

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited July 2013

Worked out with my 3.3 lb free weights, and, for one set only, I moved up to my 5 lb weights. Also went to the gym to get a new key card, since I lost mine at some point over the last six months of BC drama. Will do the one mile doggie walk as usual this evening.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2013

Big congrats to Annie Lane and Ann!

I enjoyed an hour of brisk walking with a friend early this morning.

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited July 2013

Swam today at a friend's lake. I know it is good for my lymphedema arms but they are pretty achy tonight.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited July 2013

Did new Body Step tonight, new release I think they said 92 .. For me it was awful, it was all with the step turned lengthways and my hips and knees hurt like heck, I have to go again on Sunday as we are going to Vietnamese restaurant after class but I think I'll be giving this class a miss until they go back to the old stuff.

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited July 2013

Ouch Cheryl, sideways stepping does not sound comfy.  Ginger, lake swimming sounds really nice.

30 minutes hooping and some paint scraping and water carrying.  I need to ramp things up.  I've gotten more efficient at hooping and it's hard to up the intensity in my limited indoor space.  I'm almost tempted to put on the old inline skates.  Or... wondering if anyone has tried kettlebells?

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited July 2013

Congrats, Annie and Ann! My warranty (LOL) runs out in 4 years.

Cheryl, we had to do lengthwise step, too, at the Les Mills event, so must be the same version.

Ann, I do kettlebells. I often use it like regular weights. The lighter ones are perfect, I find, for that purpose (2.5kg each).

Zumba was packed last night despite the heat.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited July 2013

Did get a walk in at lunch yesterday, and some classical stretch this morning.  It's raining here now, but probably only showers, so will try to walk at lunch again.  Forgot my gym bag Frown - but if it's not raining I hoped to go to blues on the beach, a free concert series in a town nearby, so I probably wouldn't have used the gym bag anyway, just wanted to be prepared in case it is raining.

• ginger48
    edited July 2013

Pat01- I am trying to convince my DH to go to Blues on the Beach in Westerly tonight. We have never been.

• ginger48
    edited July 2013

2 & 1/2 hours of push mowing worked up a great sweat!

• ruthbru
    edited July 2013

An hour walk with the WOW ladies & 30 minutes of toning. In the air tomorrow heading east! Cool

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited July 2013

Ran several miles yesterday and did weights. Tonight I went to Yoga with a friend.

Safe travels Ruth....And everyone else traveling me next week.

• AnnieLane
    edited July 2013

Walked the dogs for a hilly mile and did some one armed jumping jacks (held my poor radiated boob in place with the other hand to minimize bounce and friction.) Good old jumping jacks and vertical jumping are simple things Dr. Miriam Nelson recommends for bone density.

Ann, are you talking about hoola-hooping at home? I hadn't thought of that, but it might be fun.

Up until a couple years ago, my favorite form of exercise was roller skating, old school style at the rink. I loved it and it was the only exercise that could keep me moving and having fun for an hour or two at a time. And I was good, if I do say so myself. But then a few things happened to cause me to give it up. The adult skate sessons were taken over by roller derby gals practiing and they were rough and didn't much care to watch out for anyone else. I mean some of those gals were downright scarey! They were on a real roller derby team and I showed my kids their team pictures online. They were pretty amused to think of old mom surrounded by those tough-as-nails characters. I don't like skating around little kids because they are so erratic, so I only used to go to the adult sessions.

Then I found out I had ostepenia and got scared of fallng and breaking a bone. On top of that I realized that skating doesn't do much for your bone density, since there's no impact (unless you fall of course!) I do miss it though.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,857
    edited July 2013

Annie: I used to love to roller skate! I kept my key in our mailbox.

Hi all! I've been off the board for awhile. We were at the beach last week - lots of walking, running, and swimming! We go every year with my side of the family. It was a hard decision to go because my dh's sister was in the Hospice Home. As mentioned earlier, she had COPD and Stage IV melanoma (plus many other problems). His family encouraged us to go and promised to call us with updates.

We received a call that her time was near and we left a day early. My beautiful SIL died late Saturday night with all of us surrounding her. It was very intense. Today was her funeral and we all had a hand in planning it. She was loved by many and the funeral home was packed. She was so sick - her passing was a blessing but it's still very painful. I will miss her.

• ruthbru
    edited July 2013

Alice, thinking of you and want to share this beautiful poem I found last fall when I was looking for something to read at my dad's prayer service (his first name was Raymond, so I thought that was a sign).

Death is Only an Horizon by Rossiter W. Raymond ( 1840 - 1918 )

O God, who holdest all souls in life;
    and callest them unto thee as seemeth best:
    we give them back, dear God, to thee who gavest them to us. 

But as thou didst not lose them in the giving,
    so we do not lose them by their return.
    For not as the world giveth, givest thou,
    O Lord of souls: that which thou givest thou takest away:
    for life is eternal, and love is immortal,
    and death is only the horizon,
    and the horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited July 2013

((((Wonderland)))) I am so sorry for your loss it is heartbreaking to lose our loved ones but take comfort in your happy memories and the knowledge that her pain has ended. Ruth that is a beautiful poem.

Well today was my annual mammogram, had a very early appointment. The technician asked an awful lot of questions between each compression on my mastectomy side she moved me all over the place taking film after film hmmmmm, so afterwards she took me back and told me to wait, next thing she took me for an ultrasound, geeze I wasn't expecting that, then that girl kept going over and over where my sentinel node scar is and then stopping and typing, she also spent a lot of time on my remaining breast when she was finished she told me to wait and the doctor would come in and see me so of course you know where my mind is going, you just simply can't help it, well the doctor comes in takes my hands in hers and says 'all clear' I thought I was going to pass out, they were very thorough that's for sure!!! afterwards i raced to the gym, was half and hour late to the class but damn it, I wanted to dance so a half a Sh'bam class and tonight I did a Body Combat class.

Ann we use kettlebells in my saturday Boot Camp I've used both 5 & 10lb ones and I like them. Heidi yes I'll bet we did the same Step release as it' s the latest one.

Have fun with your sister Ruth, see you next week.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited July 2013

So sorry to hear of your SIL's passing, Wonderland. That was a beautiful poem, Ruth.

• ruthbru
    edited July 2013

Cheryl, I am sure glad that all is well, and that they didn't give you a heart attack in their process of telling you so!

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited July 2013

So sorry to hear about you SIL wonderland.

Ginger, did you wind up going to blues on the beach?  It didn't rain a drop, and the fog lifted enough for us to need sunglasses.  If you go again let me know and we can meet up - it's great fun, we try to go to most of them.

Got a walk in at lunch yesterday but that's about it - but my gym bag is in the car!

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited July 2013

Zumba!

with wegihts in the class today and tomorrow is body sculpting

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2013

Reading everyone and catching up.  Hoping that my oncology appointment tomorrow is uneventful.  Other than the fact she wants to see my pink Prada clogs!  Upping the exercise is showing up on the scale, so progress on that front.  Down to the last 5, and hoping to be close by the end of the summer (which will be about 12 pounds less than I was last summer at this time).  I think the running has helped.

I would much rather add in exercise than reduce food consumption!!!!!

Geared up for the ride to Portland this weekend.  Still have to reload my bicycle bag which I washed earlier this week.  Waiting for it to dry.  I need to pick up a spare tube, as used mine in the flat last Saturday.

The great news for the ride is that we should have a TAIL WIND which is just wonderful.  Plus highs in the 70s.  Just ideal conditions.  I am hoping for a personal best time both days.  I will let you know.

But two more days of mundane prior to getting my hunkies at 4 AM on Saturday for a 5:45 start.  Now you KNOW the reason for all the coffee here in Seattle! - Claire

• AnnieLane
    edited July 2013

Did 2 sets with 5 lb free weights and 3 sets with 3.3 lb in right hand & 5 lb in the left...working up slowly and cautiously to avoid lymphodema in the right arm.

Also did some simple vertical jumping and one-armed jumping jacks... still avoiding bouncing the radiated side.

Will do the 1 mile walk in the neighborhood with the DH and canine kids this evening after that blasted hot sun goes down.

• SAB
    edited July 2013

Spin and yoga yesterday.  Running my rural road today.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited July 2013

Wonderland, I was sorry to read of the passing of your SIL. My condolences to you and family. 

Claire, have a super ride this weekend.Cool

Pilates this morning and long'ish dog walk in the afternoon

• SAB
    edited July 2013

Wonderland, I jumped on and posted without reading first.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  It sounds like she was so well loved by your wonderful family.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited July 2013

Wonder - I'm so sorry as well about your SIL.  She seems to have been a remarkable woman who was beloved by many. 

Been crazy busy at work, so squeezing in exercise as I can beforehand.  It's so hot and humid running even first thing in the morning, but I'm getting better at evading the zombie hordes. Lulu - how was the McCartney concert?  I'm going to his concert at Nats Park tomorrow so I was hoping to get a sneak preview from you!Tongue Out  Claire - good luck on your oncology appointment tomorrow and your ride this weekend!

• nibbana
    nibbana Member Posts: 349
    edited July 2013

Claire,

Have a great ride this weekend. Portland, here they come!

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited July 2013

Wonderland, so sorry for your loss . . .

Claire, have a great ride!

Nats, Paul was AMAZING!!!  He looked great, he sounded even better, he's still the "cute" Beatle, he was funny, his band was great.  I see him every time he comes to town.  I was going to pass this time but my 26 year old son wanted to go, so I said I'd go with him (of course, who paid for the tickets????) and we had a BLAST!  Jesse was so impressed and knew all the music and enjoyed himself as much as I did.  Also, all ages were there. The best part was sharing the experience w/my son.

Enjoy!!

• ginger48
    edited July 2013

Wonderland- so sorry about your SIL. Glad you were able to be with her.

Pat- we did not make it because we were in Tornado warnings at that time and thought it better to stay close to home. I am glad to hear it was fun. I will let you know if we go sometime; would be great to meet up!

• ginger48
    edited July 2013

Cheryl- someone should explain to them how much anxiety all that can cause. Frightening...glad you are ok!