Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• fab1
    fab1 Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2013

Hi girls

I thought I would join you as I need motivation to start moving again :-D .

I've just started chemo and due my second session of five on Friday. Im keen to start some form of exercise. I cleaned my house today. I will go for a 30minute walk tomorrow. You girls have inspired me. X

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited July 2013

Welcome Fab1, I'm in the hinterlands of Kent and walking is great!  Oh Joy - LOL!Wink  I like the new photo Marionelizabeth.

Freestyle step at the gym and we were in the big studio today where the aircon works.  I actually felt normal when finished and not like I would combust.Yell

• fab1
    edited July 2013

Hi lilacblue

Its good to hear from girls in the UK!!!

Did you exercise during chemo? I'm trying to be active but there are days I can't seem get into gear at all. I'm hoping joining thus group will give the impetus to walk on a daily basis. I hope by checking in and sharing my exercise daily will drive be forward to full health.

how you finding Kent?

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited July 2013

Sitting in the Minneapolis airport waiting for my flight. The monitor says it is a delightful 70 degrees outside. Took another dog walk before I left this morning. If only my cats wouldn't mind I would kidnap Mikey and my sister's husky and she (the husky) could carry Mikey around in her backpack if he got tired on a walk!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2013

I exercised every single day during chemo.  My take was that I might as well be exercised and dragging as opposed to just dragging!  I did a minimum of my weights/crunches plus a one mile walk during weekdays and at least a 10 mile ride each weekend day.  This included cycling in the rain.  But it was flats as I couldn't do hills during AC.

Sometimes I walked three miles.  I learned that you do get knocked down a bit, but recovery goes much faster at the other end.  I kept my basic fitness intact.  I think I was able to eat and sleep better during chemo, and needed almost no additional meds.  (I ate up the prunes by stewing in brandy six months after it was all over.)

Good luck with chemo and happy exercising.  One major benefit is that it gets you out there so feel a part of life.  That was just so important, and I even did some very easy group rides. - Claire

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited July 2013

Went to the gym and worked out upper & lower body on the weight machines. Will walk the dogs late after the sun goes down and will count my housework as exercise today, too. My house hasn't had a decent cleaning in a long time and is far from child proof. My energetic preschool age grandchildren will be arriving Friday night.

• fab1
    edited July 2013

Wow your girls are inspirational!! If it was nit so late here in London I would have put on my walking shoes immediately! :-D

I will post my achievements tomorrow x

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited July 2013

Welcome Fab - Chemo hits everyone differently.  I wasn't able to exercise as much as I wanted during chemo.  I did 6*TAC, with tx every 3 weeks.  At first I was pretty good, and by week 3 after most tx I was able to do some pretty vigorous exercise.  But unfortunately fatigue hit me very hard and the effects were cumulative.  By the last couple of tx, it was all I could do to drag myself to work and back and there was no way I could exercise.  But 2 weeks after my last tx I joined a gentle yoga class and hit the elliptical.

Exercise is so helpful during chemo, so hopefully you can sail through and keep up some semblance of an exercise program. Do what you can, but don't forget to be good to yourself.  Sometimes the effects lay you low, and all you can do is rest - and if that's what you need to do that day, that's what you need to do - don't beat yourself up if there are days when you do less (or nothing) compared to other days. 

Ruth - I love the mental image of Mikey being carried by the husky!  Glad you're escaping back to cool country! Annie - good luck with the grands - I bet they keep you on your toes!  Claire - I had blister bandages, ointments, etc. in my touring backpack in DC just in case anyone developed blisters, but it was a very sensible group who had great shoes, so not a blister among us.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,857
    edited July 2013

fab: Welcome! You've been given good advice about exercise during chemo. You'll know your good days and your bad days. I started chemo during winter months and didn't want to walk outside. Instead, I set my kitchen timer and walked fast (when I could) in the house, including the stairs. On bad days my exercise was using the remote!

Annie: You may want to wait and clean your house after your grandchildren visit! Tongue Out

Cheryl: Love your combat moves for my mower!

Mary: Pet Mikey for me!

Ruth, I want that 70 degree weather! I walked/ran at the park this evening in 90 degrees and 70% humidity. Hot and sweaty but it still doesn't compare to DC! Smile

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited July 2013

Sounds like I really missed some fun on Saturday. Welcome to the group Fab. You have received some great advice, just remember to take it at your own pace and be good to yourself.

Claire, you cracked me up with "the pelt of a diseased rodent"....

Hit the gym today for half an hour of Elliptical time as well as weights.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited July 2013

Did some shop and sculpt tonight but need to get back to "real" exercise.  May start over with my walking in place while watching the news.  Will also look up and find some 5K run/walks and register.  That will get me training somewhat.  Unfortunately what I've been reading is that after a hip replacement, which I will schedule soon, you cannot run.  Oh well, maybe power-walking is in my future.  Hmmmm, that may not be half bad.  Think I will also look up power-walking training.  See, coming here gives me ideas, and thus, motivation.  Thanks.

Welcome fab1.  These ladies will keep you on track as long as you continue to come each day.  I stopped and got way off track so now trying to regroup.

Yes odie, you were missed.  It was so funny Saturday that we always thought we were down one so you were there with us in spirit at least. 

Mikey had everyone's attention but I was almost mesmerized by Molly as I watched her move about.  Amazing because I've never seen a dog that old. 

Night my sculpted friends.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited July 2013

hi ladies and welcome fab1.  I started a walking program after BMX but before chemo (TCx6).  My goal was to walk some every day, even if only a little, like to the mailbox and back.  I didn't always want to, and some days I didn't, but usually felt better for the effort.  I've gotten stronger, to the point where I can walk around for hours in 100-degree heat.  Cry  <=sweating

Rested Mon, walked on break Tues & Weds, and walked after supper tonight.  Logged 8.32 km = 5.17 mi since last post.  Beautiful stretch of weather in store, which I plan to exploit. 

BTW Claire, your inner epicure will resonate with mine, thinking of the Maryland blue crab cake I enjoyed with an amber lager beer.  mmmmmm  :-)

• ruthbru
    edited July 2013

Welcome Flannelette and fab1.

Wild Swimming sounds great!

During chemo I just did what I could. On good days I'd hit it hard & on bad days I would set a timer and walk around and around in circle in my house. Since I was afraid to do much upper body toning, I concentrated on the lower body & abs. Whatever you can do now will help you bounce back quicker once you are done.

Made it home with no problems. I am still unpacking thanks to my method of unpacking a few things, reading two weeks of mail, unpacking a few things, reading two weeks of newspapers etc. etc. I will have to get back into my exercise and 'don't eat everything is sight' routine tomorrow!!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited July 2013

Patoo I got ambushed at the gym tonight my spandex crew have all signed up to the Aloha Run in San Diego in September and they want me to join them, they are all runners and they certainly know I don't run but there is a walk portion and one of the girls is pregnant so I'll have a walking buddy, so come join meWink

Annie enjoy the time with your grands, remember you can get them all amped up and then just hand them off to their Mom, or you could invent the "dusting with sock puppets game" and have them do the housekeeping for youTongue Out  Welcome Fab glad to habe you join us, just do what you can, and yes reporting in does help.

Tonight did Body Combat class, we had one of our very old instructors come in and sub and she literally kicked our butts, and my crazy spin instructor #1 was subbing in the spin room so it was a very hard decision which room to go into.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited July 2013

We're in for another sweltering day here and the next few days Tongue Out so plans to hike/run will unfortunately have to wait.   Coupled with my frequent hot flashes these days it's really uncomfortable.   I've been using a small fan at night, blasting right at me in bed while I sleep.  DH isn't so happy about it but it really helps with the night sweats!  

Can't run today, so I'll get in a booty barre session this afternoon.  

Welcome fab1 and flannelette

• fab1
    edited July 2013

Hi

I walked un my local park for 40mins today. I feel good for doing it, thanks girls for been my inspiration. X

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited July 2013

62 degrees cool this morning. low humidity, with lovely breezes!  Took advantage of the great weather with a half hour run.  Nice change from last week when it was already 80 and humid at dawn! 

Yay fab!  Yes, if you come here often enough, you'll hear our Voices encouraging you on.  Joy - I have a room AC in the bedroom PLUS a ceiling fan to battle the hot flashes, and there are times when even that isn't enough!  Poor dh and the pups have to huddle under layers of blankets all night. 

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited July 2013

Fab1 - I PM'd you so be on the lookout and good for you on the park walk today. Kent down this way is wonderful and we like it.

Ran 5k this morning and yoga class later this afternoon.

• AnnieLane
    edited July 2013

Fab, I went out for about a 15 minute walk with my DH and dogs most days during chemo. Sometimes I had to walk pretty slow. I don't think I could have done any more exercise than that, but I think it did me a lot of good. Just don't push yourself too hard, because you will probably become anemic during chemo and stay that way for awhile afterward. Stop if you get short of breath.

• AnnieLane
    edited July 2013

Oh and today we walked the dogs before breakfast and I will be getting more exercise from housework and grocery shopping. As busy as I am right now, I'll have to count those too.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited July 2013

i would love to try hot yoga. Is it tough to do that when its so hot out though? Seems like you might feel cooler after.

doin zumba today I guess sh'bam is like zumba. looks that way on youtube

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2013

Traffic was bad yesterday, and I missed my spin class but managed an hour on the elliptical (no tension) and 20 minutes of treadmill. This morning I will get to the gym and do machines and try a pilates class. Hips and quads sore, so not elliptical. 

• GointoCarolina
    GointoCarolina Member Posts: 95
    edited July 2013

I am new here and hoping for encouragement.I am badly out of shape,chemo did a number on me,then I had a series of illnesses and injuries that slowed me down for the years after.I am having delayed recon on September 4th,so started a couple of weeks ago trying to get in shape and so far,so good.Today I rode my stationary bike for 25 minutes (Steve Forbert in the headphones inspired me!) and this afternoon I did a two mile walk with Leslie Sansone.When I tried the walking videos before,I kept hurting my lower back..this time I am not doing any stretches and my back is fine,so I think I was doing them wrong.So far I am not seeing any physical results,so I really need some support to keep going.Thanks!

• fab1
    edited July 2013

Hi pandazanka

I'm new too, keep checking in daily with tge exercise you have done, the girls here are wonderful in giving encouragement and inspiration and no dought some exercise suggestions. I joined yesterday and today I walked for 40 minutes with the support of these girls to get up and moving daily. Hope to hear from you tomorrow with your achievements . X

• ruthbru
    edited July 2013

Welcome panda! Check in every day whether you exercise or not (because if you check in, you mostly likely will do something first), and we will PUMP YOU UP! Smile

Did a lot of weeding (DHs assignment was to merely keep the plants alive while I was gone) and an hour of spot toning with Denise Austin. How could I have gained 5 pound with all the sweating that was going on???? Surprised

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited July 2013

Carrol2, I love hot yoga. Not sure if it's for everyone though.  I find that I'm totally miserable the first 5 minutes of the class, then all of a sudden the sweat starts pouring out, down my face and out every pore of my body and suddenly my natural cooling system is kicking in.  It makes you more limber too, so the stretches are easier to get into - and I'm a very NOT flexible person as I do a whole lot of running and lifting.  I find the yoga balances it out nicely.

Misswim is the yoga expert on this thread - I bet she'll weigh in on this.

This morning was an 8 mile run outside - it felt so cool, in the 60's!  Have a great day, everyone!

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited July 2013

Welcome Fab and Panda.  Mary, I really enjoyed the pictures.  Look at the strong legs in that group!

I've been laboring like a farmhand all week.  Painted a fence, patched a retaining wall, moved a stack of rocks and paving stones, hauled and spread three bags of woodchips, and harvested and pressed four liters of grape juice.  I feel great!  Plus there was the usual 30 minutes of hooping.  To celebrate all the extra physical labor I had a few Coke floats with Haagen Dazs vanilla.  Yum.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2013

Welcome fab and panda. keep on working out and the results will sneak up!

Today I ran on the treadmill and then went to Pilates and the instructor didn't show! We ladies went around the room and did our own thing (mostly yoga and planks) and it was fun.

• ruthbru
    edited July 2013

Hanging out with Thomas Jefferson

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited July 2013

Way to go fab1.  Welcome panda.  I love Leslie Sansone walking tapes.  They are easy and you will feel better, emotionally and physically, when you get into a routine.  Don't worry about falling short at times because coming here will help to get you back on track and it's fun trading stories with everyone.

So I did as I promised last night and walked in place while watching the news.  Tonight after work went downstairs and got on the treadmill for 40 mins.  Need to reintroduce myself to some of the other workout tapes as well.

Night friends.