Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited July 2013

Marian - congrats.  You look wonderful!!  What an accomplishment!  Ginger - the concert sounds great.  I saw them a few years ago.  Everyone in the audience had a great time - nothing like a bunch of grey haired, pot bellied old surfer wanna bees rocking our hearts out!!  Tongue Out

Thank you for all the kind words about Molly.  It's so strange to just dish up one bowl of food now - all those little things that make me realize how much a part of our lives she was.  She was a good girl and a wonderful companion.  We miss her very much.

Decided to shake things up today and hauled out my old Power 90 DVD and did the basic Sculpt routine - weights, squats, lunges, etc.  I'd forgotten what a good overall routine that was and I definitely felt some muscles I've been neglecting.  I'm gonna feel it tomorrow - I can already tell.  Surprised

• fab1
    fab1 Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2013

Hi

Walked in local woods for 1 hour today, im tired now going to have a nap. X

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited July 2013

Mary, I'm so sorry about Molly. Sounds like she was a really good furry friend.

Marian, what an awesome picture! Congrats!!

It's raining today so no wild swimming. It'll be BodyJam instead.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited July 2013

Marianelizabeth, fantastic and what a great way to celebrate your 1st. cancerversary.  Your son is terrific and perfect Fuck Cancer tank - you look marvelous! Tina, welcome!  Joy, thanks beauty and Fab1, good on ya.

I body conditioning/pilates and body attack at the gym this morning.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2013

Hi everyone,  Time to post my boast!!!  This is me about Mile 194 of the Seattle-to-Portland two weeks ago.  Note that I was plastered from bicycle grease, and was hot, not to mention the climb onto the bridge.  I stopped at the bicycle shop at the other end and used their sink prior to finishing.  So reliving that day thanks to $$$$ spent on Marathon Foto. - Claire

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,217
    edited July 2013

Just trying to get motivated again about exercise and ran across the pix of your DC adventure. Who is the owner of Mikey? He is a dead ringer for my Mary Lu who is thought to be a chi pin. She was a stray so we'll never know for sure but they could be twins.

Caryn

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    ahdjdbcjdjdbkf Member Posts: 188
    edited July 2013

I walked for 55 minutes at a brisk pace on Saturday and 75 minutes on Sunday. I was proud of myself since I just had an implant removed 10 days ago due to infection and I only have one boob - thankful for padding!

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    edited July 2013

Way to go, everybody!  You are all very inspiring indeed!!! 

The aches and pains from Arimidex seem to come and go.  I've stayed very active the whole time (2+ years) except when dealing with post-surgery healing issues (3 surgeries).  Had a very long stretch when Ibuprofen was my best friend, but became my enemy....helped keep me moving, but sent my blood pressure through the roof so had to switch to Tylenol :(  For me anyway it has taken a while to find the right balance of the proper type and amount of daily exercise to keep things limbered up, yet not painful.  I definitely am a proponent of movement being the key when Arimidex causes joint and bone pain.

Today I took a 30-minute walk and I've done two of my four daily PT "homework assignments".  Despite exercise, eating well, and taking my supplements my DEXA scan results plunked me into the osteoporosis range with bad numbers in the lumbar spine.  I requested PT to help strengthen my back and after a lot of thought have started taking Fosamax.  Bummer.....

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,857
    edited July 2013

Awesome picture Claire! Looking good!

Caryn: Natsfan is Mikey's owner. Now that you're here, come back and post what exercise you do or just come back to keep getting motivated!

Mariasnow: Yes, you should be proud of yourself!

Just returned from my fast walk/ran. It was 84 degrees and much lower humidity (only 54%). I really like it when I have the trail all to myself - I can go much faster.

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited July 2013

Claire, OH YEAH, lookin' fine, kid!!!  Don'tcha just love Marathon Foto?? I didn't buy my pic at the half marathon I did, but I bought my son's. AND I bought the one from the Paul Mc concert w/me and my son (now my profile pic). Yes, expensive but money well spent. Great memories.

Rock on, girls!

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited July 2013

Claire & Marianelizabeth, you both look fabulous and are so inspiring! And Marian, what an awesome experience & memory to share with your son!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited July 2013

Marianelizabeth, what a proud moment... You and Claire look great and should really be proud of the accomplishments. Luvlulu, that is a great photo with your son and the memory is priceless.

I hit the gym today for some intense time on the Elliptical (increasing my difficulty and programs to vary things a bit). Then rode several miles on the bike before hitting the weights.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited July 2013

2.25 mile walk today.  Could be better but, hey, better than nothing at all.  And, it's a weeknight so after working all day it's kudos for effort.

Night.

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2013

marianelizabeth - my older sis started adventure travelling at age 50 with 3 friends. They've done Himalayan trek, Morocco (Atlas mountains) India (easy) Inca trail to Machu Pichu (utterly gruelling). She  too had br ca at age 60 (exactly same as me), is now 69, skis all winter near Vernon BC.

Meanwhile, back at the swim hole, I'm up to 19 minutes jogging in water. After a 3-hour nap.

• AnnieLane
    edited July 2013

Keeping up the the grandkids will have to count as my exercise today and that's not a stretch, because they sure keep me moving!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited July 2013

You look GREAT, Claire!

Great job everyone!Awesome story about your sister, flannelette.

I was BAD today, as it was our annual Book Club Read/Feed/Shop excursion....no exercise except Shop and Sculpt....

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2013

Just got in from my 5k run.  Also walked a mile back and forth to the supermarket so I have stuff like milk and napkins.

Need to check the duck legs I am braising for dinner.

The most glorious sunset, and I got to see ALL of it! - Claire

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited July 2013

Ruth I can go you one better, today I worked for a friend helping him with a massive shipment he had, he provided lunch - Pizza, do you think I could resist, no not at lunch or at 4pm when they brought it out againFrown  Claire what a fantastic photo, you look great!!! Tina I was put on Calcitonin, it's a nasal spray for osteoporosis much easier.  Caryn great to see you over here, you've had many ups and downs over the past few months so just do what you can, you know one foot in front of the other that's all anyonce can ask, and yes Mikey is a pip, we did a lot of laughing in DC and he joined in, he was probably hoarse by the time we left.

Tonight did spin with crazy spin instructor#2 lots of intervals and it really helped with my poor legs, they were still stiff from saturdays Boot Camp but they loosened up after an hour on the bike. 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited July 2013

Wow, so much to catch up on.  Back from vacation - wonderful relaxing time reading, hanging by the pool, and a little fishing.  Also way too much eating and drinking!  Got a couple of long walks in, but that was about it.  Back to work today, so I will walk at lunchtime here.  Today is my 30th anniversary, hoping to go out for a nice bite to eat somewhere after work.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited July 2013

Awesome picture, Claire! Grease and all. Makes me want to sign-up for something just for a picture.

Caryn, it's a mind game to stay motivated. Drop by or post anytime.

Kudos, indeed, patoo! That's a major mental achievement to get moving after work.

Did some hills with DD before Bodyjam yesterday. Zumba tonight.

• ruthbru
    edited July 2013

Just went for a walk, will tone with Denise before the day is over.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited July 2013

Caryn - yes, Mikey is mine. He's a rescue - he was originally surrended to our local animal shelter at age 3 - untrained and unneutered, but with AKC papers that he's a purebred min pin.  But papers mean nothing, and I suspect he's the product of either a puppy mill or a backyard breeder as he's certainly not show quality as far as conformation.  He was adopted (and neutered finally) by a friend who had him for 5 years or so, but two years ago she realized she was unable to care for him properly due to her health issues, so we took him in.  At the time he was incredibly obese, and so for a while I was posting Mikey's exercise here as well as my own. Tongue Out We got him slimmed down some, but he could stand to lose another pound or so.  He's a sweet loving boy, and we really enjoy having him.  We still have to work on obedience and manners with him, but he's getting better.  And as Cheryl says, when the DC visitors were at my house, everytime the group burst into laughter (and that was a lot of the time) he'd join right in with his joyful barks.  Tell me about Mikey's twin!

I was lazy and slept in this morning, so now I'm on the hook to exercise this afternoon.  I bought myself a Nike Fuelband on July 1 to celebrate finishing 5 years of Femara, and I'm finding it keeps me accountable!  It has you set a daily activity goal.  I have mine set at 3,000 Fuel Points (a made-up Nike measure that's supposedly more accurate that calories or steps).  If I exercise, I can reach the goal, but if I don't exercise then it's almost impossible for me to reach it.  I tend to be a bit competitive with myself and I want to exceed the goal every day, so it's really made me exercise even on days that I'd probably have skipped.  And that's exactly why I bought it.  So far I've exceeded it every day this month.     

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,217
    edited July 2013

Natsfan,

So sorry to hear about your Molly. Ironically, it was the loss of my Maltese/poodle mix named Molly that lead to my getting Mary Lu, Mikey's female counterpart. My Molly was 16 when she succumbed to congestive heart failure. Barely six weeks after her passing, I was having my haircut when my hairdresser, a major dog lover, told me a sad story. She said that one morning they found a very pregnant, flea covered dog cowering by the salon dumpster. They took her in and carefully bathed her. My hairdresser took her to the vet who said she was close to giving birth, estimated that she was about 18 months old and looked like a chihuahua min pin mix (chi pin). So, home she went with my hairdresser who saw her through the birth of 5 puppies. My hairdresser kept two of the pups and found homes for the other three. She told me this story, preying on my grief, and sadly announced that no one wanted the mama dog. So... I agreed to take her after the puppies were weaned. She's now about five. Still a bit skittish but very loyal and loving. She seems almost grateful to have been rescued from the mean streets. I also have a ten year old Pomeranian who believes she's the cutest thing on earth. She is very cute but it's amazing how different the attitudes are between the rescued street dog and the pampered purebred Pom.

Caryn

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited July 2013

Welcome Caryn and really good photo Claire.  Mary, I never heard of Nike Fuelband and just looked up up - interesting and I'll check it out.

I got out just after 7am and ran 5k before it rained then to the gym for body balance. 

• ruthbru
    edited July 2013

Wonderful story, Caryn. Thank you, Mary, and everyone who is willing to give an animal in need some TLC and a new start in life (we have two cats who were cellmates at the Humane Society).

• flannelette
    edited July 2013

Hi I'm sorry this is Off=topic but - this thread is very active and I need your help. I've been searching for a thread I saw a few weeks back something like "post your 5 yr cancerversary" or something like that.......do you think i can find it now???

Today's my 5 years. Left MX July 30 2008 and I want to post! wahhhhhhh!

I did wild swimming, no jogging, just flopped around & did some backstrokes & did a handstand. I'm eating my fave food for supper - French fries!!! I'm a cheap date.......

• ruthbru
    edited July 2013

Congratulations flannelette! It's in the Forum: Acknowledging and Honoring our Community. I bumped it for you, so it will be in the Active Topics. I'll be looking for your post! Cool

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2013

Had post written and lost it so I think I am only meant to briefly report: Pilates and elliptical at the gym.

• flannelette
    edited July 2013

Thanks so much Ruthbru - I knew you'd know.

• AnnieLane
    edited July 2013

Said goodbye to the two youngest grandchildren and their mommy and daddy today until we go to Iowa to meet their new baby sister in the fall. Got more exercise running around and keeping up with them before they left though. Will be walking the dogs later after the sun goes down tonight.

Speaking of rescued pets, one of ours, Gypsy, is a mutt I brought home from the city shelter when she was within 24 hours of being put down. She was so afraid of people she was deemed "unadoptable." She had been found on the street with a big plastic jar jammed over her head & duct taped in place. One ear was torn and she was hemorrhaging from her mouth, nose, ears and all four paws. When I brought her home her ear was still held together with surgical staples and she was on antibiotics and pain meds. She was probably just under a year old then. She has turned into the most affectionate, playful dog and I think she's beautiful too. She's about 40 lbs and looks like she could have some Australian shepherd in her and maybe some Rottweiler. She has strong herding instincts and hasn't learned that you can't herd cats - she keeps trying to herd the cat I brought home from the shelter the same day.

Flannelette, congrats on hitting the five year mark!