Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2013

Today I did a tough spin class and yoga.  Went to look at a road bike and got blown off by bike store.  Their loss I guess, since there are plenty of bike stores in town.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited August 2013

I would buy a bike at a different store and then go back and speak to the manager and tell him/her why you did not buy from them.

An hour of walking with the Wednesday Women.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2013

Sorry SAB.  Bike shop people can have major attitudes if you aren't one of the elite.  But then, they probably don't have anything suitable for you anyway.  I know for example if all I see is Cervello bikes on a ride, I am in deep trouble.  This crowd goes 20 mph UPHILL!!!

So you need someone who caters to the "leisurely and steady" crowd, not the super-strenous.  (These are ride speeds.)

I am buried in work, and not sure how I will get it all done.  Plus things are really heating up with the nonprofit.

Headed out for a run, and then more work!!!  At least finished up one project, and even negotiated more money than I had initially bid! - Claire

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2013

SAB, I have in mind that scene from "Pretty Woman" where the snooty saleswomen won't wait on JR's character, but she goes back later with all those shopping bags and rubs it in.  If you still feel bad, think of the Swiss saleslady who didn't want to sell Oprah a $38,000 handbag - d'oh!

Cheryl, great advice & encouragement!  It's OK to start slowly, just start.

Ruth, if I were driving for days, you'd be on a short list of people I'd invite along for company.  Have you ever tried chocolate-covered coffee beans?  They taste good and pep you up without all the bathroom breaks.

Been beautiful here and walked every day.  Logged 12.12 km = 7.53 mi since last post.

Thinking of you Joy and LilacBlue.  ♥ to all

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited August 2013

Oh, chocolate covered coffee beans - I haven't had those in a long time, but they are a yummy way to get your caffiene fix.

I didn't do any skipping today, but I did go to the gym: warmed up on the elyptical, then did upper and lower body strength training followed by stretching. Walked the dogs tonight after the cruel hot sun went down.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2013

Hey, thanks badger! I'm thinking of reading this delightful Swedish novel aloud: The Hundred-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared.....It's never to late to start over.....

• SAB
    edited August 2013

I am an entry level rider, but I think that a bike shop would want to educate newcomers, sell a bike, build the sport!  I wasn't there looking for a Huffy!  I wanted to try out a Specialized... hubby rides a Ruby and wanted me to take an Allez for a spin. (Our mountain bikes are also Specialized.) He wants me to get a better bike to "grow into." Back to Trek I guess, definitely not ready for Cervello Surprised.

Sorry for the rant.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2013

Agree on the "grow into" SAB.  Advice I give.  Because you don't want to be wishing you had gone one level up on one month.  I still remember buying a road bike and not being able to ride it!!!!

Three weeks later, I was thrilled with my decision.

I could probably go one level up now, but I don't have an extra $2500-$4000.  So no.

Thinking of you LilacBlue and Joy....wow, does life throw us curves.  Thinking of you too Ruth, but for other reasons.  I am still thrilled that I got to see the Everglades 15 years ago when had a conference in Orlando.  I spent time with my uncle in Fort Myers Beach and that was my request.

I had to tell him to "slow down" (doing 90 in a 60 mile zone) on the way back!  Had lunch at Hemmingway's favorite spot.

The Men's Room at the Hermitage Hotel in Nashville is also worth a visit.  I got to see about 8 years ago.  Chatted up the concierge, and he showed it to me.  Made the Top Ten for GQ.  I also recommend the Grand Ole Opry.  Had a blast when I was there.  I think the crowd I saw is now gone, but still should see.  Part of our heritage.  (Mine especially as Roy Acuff was a cousin by marriage.  Wife of uncle in Everglades escapade.)

I did a run tonight so on track with exercise.  Glad I am escaping the Hempfest nonsense.  So much money, and it could go to cancer research, as opposed to supporting a culture of wastedness.

I encountered members of one of the cycling clubs I belong to when doing my run.  Fun to be caught doing something healthy.

Long day tomorrow, so signing off. - Claire

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited August 2013

How infuriating SAB, I agree once you get a new bike write to the owner of the store and call them out, or go onto Yelp and do a report.  Ruth the Grand Old Opry Hotel is also  must see and if I remember correctly they have a dog sitting service, I love Nashville great nightlife and Mary is correct the Country Music Hall of Fame is a fantastic museum.

Tonight did Body Combat class.

• SAB
    edited August 2013

Ahem, Roubaix, not Ruby Embarassed see how much I have to learn?!  Anyway, thanks for listening, it's good to know I have so much in common with Oprah...I will get back to exercise reporting instead of complaining again in the morning. 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited August 2013

Got a lot of dancing in at blues on the beach last night!  Saw Jeff Pitchell, he is an awesome performer and had the beach rockin  - if you like blues and get a chance to see him, do - he plays mostly in the New England area.

Did some classical stretch this morning, and hoping for a lunchtime walk.  To the gym after work for some jogging intervals and upper body work.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2013

Ack - had a posting and it disappeared - probably because I closed the window before submitting it. Embarassed

SAB - agree with the suggestions that you politely contact that bike store's owner after you've dropped a bundle on a new bike elsewhere, and calmly explain exactly why you spent your money elsewhere.  Ruth - looks like we have your trip all planned out for you!  Wink  <baseball talk> Great catch by Denard last night to win the game.  If you haven't seen it: http://wapc.mlb.com/wsh/play/?content_id=29716503&topic_id=51231442&c_id=was  Catch of the year in my book. </baseball talk>

3205 fuelpoints yesterday.  P90 Sculpt this morning. 

• hbcheryl
    edited August 2013

Joy just wanted to send you thoughts and prayers on what I know will be a very difficult day (((HUG)))

• ruthbru
    edited August 2013

Thinking of you, Joy.

Lilac, do you guys have any more news?

• AnnieLane
    edited August 2013

Joy, you are still in my thoughts and prayers too. I am reminded not to take my DH for granted. He also cycles and his dad died at age 44.

We walked the dogs early this morning and went to the neighborhood pool to swim some laps.

Now I am out of the closet with the skipping. He hadn't seen me do this yet. I thought he was in the shower, so I was skipping around the house swinging my arms like a kid when he walks in the back door. I said, "Well, now that you've seen me doing this, I might as well keep it up." Sealed

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited August 2013

After x-rays Tuesday after I finally went to urgent care with such bad neck/head pain (could not move my head without pain) they did x-rays which said nothing but referred me for a CT brain and neck scan which was done yesterday. No mets, disc issues, arthritis and the only thing the radiologist saw was some nodules in my throid. So just one of those things and am on strong anti inflammatories and feel better though a bit out of it and have an appt. for an U/S of my thyroid. But I did get out and walk 5 k with my son this afternoon so slowly will get back at it! Still eating my prunes too.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2013

Hope you feel better Marian!

Well, I spent the last day in 'my' room at school finishing up orientation with my replacement. I am leaving the program in very good hands, so do not worry about that, and I will be subbing, so will be back; but it won't be the same. Weird happy/sad feelings both.

The friend I am meeting up with in Florida has health problems that will preclude lots of walking/touring, so it will be a lot more low key than when any combination of us 'Wild and Crazy Sculpted Sisters' get together. But I know I will be helping her out, AND this way I can't be peeping into my old classroom door the first day of school saying, "No, you should be doing it THIS way." So it will be good for me too.

I'm going to do a FIRM sculpting DVD right now.

• SAB
    edited August 2013

Marian, thank heavens it was good news overall.  Ruth, I must tell you that your "turn-over" to the next teacher was the most thorough and thoughtful I have heard of.  Yay for you, and feel great about it.  Have a good trip.

Cleaned until I dropped, plenty of exercise.  When dh gets home we will take a short ride.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited August 2013

Did HITT training on the treadmill today plus weights. Now off to the hot tub.....

• hbcheryl
    edited August 2013

Marian I hope you get some relief soon, I had a neck "issue" a couple of years ago, it was arthritis but at the time I felt the only way that I could get relief would be to rip my head off my body so I totally understand.  Annie too funny. 

Tonight a friend and I drove an hour north to Pasadena and did Body Attack taught by my young Vietnamese friend who has been teaching while he is on school break, and Body Jam ... was out there on the floor "bustin' a move" well I "think" I look like the instructor but in reality........Tongue Out

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited August 2013

No Ruth, although we were back to hospital on Wednesday afternoon for DH to have further biopsies and we are in waiting - have a cuppa mode, until the call regarding results. I have to push myself to stay real - in the moment and not straying into scared future - maudlin thinking. DH is a calm, intelligent,  mature - adult man who is at the helm, steering both my son and me though the choppy waters of this wait and see passage of life. Mary, thank you for the kind offer and we are ok for US treats. Before this shit hit the fan, I was intent on trying meet up with you somehwere in London or somewhere down here,  (Canterbury or Rye would be two good places not far from us to see and a easy day jaunt from London as is Bath (the other direction) - also very wonderful, historical, interesting, with terrific shopping and beautiful train journey to and from if your thinking of a day trip out, using London as a base, can you tell I love Bath?) and I don't think it's possible now for me to make any plans - to go anywhere or do anything. 

Beautiful (((((Joy)))), sending you gentle cyber hugs and all love to ((((Everyone)))).

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited August 2013

Joy, I only saw now that you lost your husband. I am so very sorry, my condolences to you and your family.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2013

Here is a beautiful quote someone posted on the 'Favorite Quotations' thread & I think it applies very well to our exercise thread on many levels:

"We are all just walking each other home."

Much love to all!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2013

Lilac - I'm so sorry that you're still waiting on results.  I'd also had the thought that we might be able to meet up, but obviously not now.  I wish I could - I'd love to give you a big hug from me and everyone else here.  We're actually hitting Bath on our tour - I'm a history affectionado, so seeing Roman baths will be exciting for me. We're also seeing Hadrian's Wall - another place that's always fascinated me. I've been busy re-reading all my British history books - hadn't caught on till now that Sussex, Essex, and Wessex got their name from the areas where the Saxons settled - the South Saxons, East Saxons, and West Saxons. 

Joy - I wish I could give you a big hug too.

Made my fuelpoints yesterday - 3119.  Half hour dawn run this morning - mid-50's and low humidity, so perfect weather.  Set a new record for bunnies - I saw 10 today.  Also, a beautiful large V of Canada geese flew right over my head.  Off to the cabin this weekend - hope to get some hiking in while the weather is so nice. 

• SAB
    edited August 2013

Lilac, so terribly difficult to wait.  Wishing for best outcomes.

Huffed and puffed my way up our street last night (we are in bike trail book) and disappointed that it is still so extremely challenging for me. Dh did it twice. Continuing my cleaning this morning, with a break for some gym time in a couple of hours. 

• AnnieLane
    edited August 2013

Walked the dogs early before it got too hot and went to the gym to do endurance training on the upper and lower body weight machines and stretching.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2013

Walked up and down hills for an hour with my fast neighbor this morning, did 45 minutes toning with Denise Austin this afternoon. Going to The Butler tonight.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited August 2013

Lilacblue, sending prayers and hugs your way. Good things supposedly come to those who wait so I wish you & your dh the best possible news.. Enjoy the movie Ruth.

Went to the gym today and did several miles on the Elliptical plus weights.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2013

Was stuck in a day-long training w/working lunch so took a nice walk when I finally got home. Logged 5.2 km = 3.23 mi.

SAB, I own a vintage Motobecane grand touring bike that I bought used for $200 thirty-some yrs ago in CO.  Some people don't care for the brand but I loved that bike and logged many a mile on it, including a century ride (100 mi).  However, it's been languishing since I moved to WI and got run off the road by some rednecks in a pickup truck.  The driver swerved over and the passenger reached out to grab my *ss.  Jerks!  Attitudes have changed and there are bike paths now so maybe I'll bring it in to our local bike shop for a look-see.

Thinking of you Joy and LB.  ♥ to all.

• SAB
    edited August 2013

Badger, I don't really know a lot about brands, I am on a learning curve but if you did 100 miles on the bike it must work for you!  Don't let some idiots in a pick-up scare you off the road!

4.25 miles on the treadmill, ran the first 3.1.