Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2013

I had great plans about doing a 30+ mile ride.  Did something like 10% of that.

I got to the start, pumped my tires just a smidge, and my front one was flat before I even got a chance to get on.   I changed the tube, and that went flat too.  So a much shorter ride than I imagined, with a couple miles of walking back to my car with my bicycle.  Off to the bike shop, and all is fine now.  Most likely a bad tube!!!  I bagged any more riding and went to the farmer’s market.  Kitchen is overflowing with the most amazing fresh veggies.

The good news is that I am now much better with my tire changing gizmo!

I am tired after two whirlwind weeks, so perhaps just as well.  But odd to get more exercise walking (with bicycle with flat tire) than riding.

I think I will do a nap, then some work, and make the rest of the pesto.  The other batch is too salty, but think if I mix batches, all will be just fine.  I didn't make any to freeze last summer and missed having it.

Most amazing salad on the docket for tonight's dinner.  Fresh baby local lettuces, heirloom tomatoes, pepper, basil, cucumber and balsamic dressing.  I love these salads.  Plus a choice of beans....one which I've never tried.

More chicken francese.....boring as third night, but I ended up with three chicken breasts.  The perfect summer meal with the beans, salad and potatoes.  Reward for making the rest of the pesto....guess what's for dinner tomorrow evening? - Claire

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited August 2013

Ruth, safe travels home..... Dinner sounds fabulous Claire.

Walked a mile this morning and aqua jogged for an hour this afternoon.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2013

Safe travels ruth!

Walked this morning; went for a massage then walked some more.  12,654 steps / 4.79 miles.  And yes, cheryl, the hip called for ibuprofen and now the pain is gone. 

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,857
    edited August 2013

Mary: I love the way you changed up the Lion song!

Ruth: Drive carefully. May there be no thunderstorms!!!

Cheryl: How is your knee? Hoping it's much better after ice and rest.

Fast walked/ran today.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2013

Walked hills with dh.  Whew.  I think I earned whole grain lasagna for dinner.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2013

hi ladies and welcome Shemaria.  I still have hot flashes after three years on tamox.  To cope, I carry a folding hand fan in my purse and deploy as necessary.  In my office is a small electric fan that points right at me.  At home, I have a tall slim tower fan in the corner of the bedroom that blows on me at night.  So does a ceiling fan.  And the AC's probably cranked, too.  Drinking cold water helps and so does lemon ice.  I wear cotton because it breathes better than synthetic fabrics.  Keep a clean t-shirt by the bed in case of a bad night sweat.  And remember, the other side of the pillow is not just cooler, it's dryer.  :-)

Got in a nice long walk this morning while it was still cool.  Logged 7.87 km = 4.89 miles. 

Safe travels, Ruth and ♥ to all.

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited August 2013

Claire sorry about your double flat.  Shemaria, welcome.  Hot flashes are the pits.  The best help is dressing cool (shorts and t shirts only) and keeping the temperature in the low 70s.  Not always possible I know.  

Did my usual bit of hooping.  Wanted to walk to the library, which will be a 4 mile round trip, but ran out of time.  Soon I'll do it.  Had a restaurant dinner tonight and a beer cocktail-- a lager topped with ginger beer.  Probably too many calories for my activity level today.  

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited August 2013

(((Joy))) I'm starting to return...I've been out of body with fear of too much future thinking.  Your support and (((all of you))) is so meaningful to me. Mahalo - beautiful, sage women. Kiss

On Thurday I blew on a friend who tried in her own way to help - soothe yet it hit me as dismissive and far too self referential in drawing parallels with her (somewhat demented) elderly father's death from cancer to what I'm experiencing. I feel deeply sad about that and we have not spoken since.  I need to put that right. The raw, vulnerable - scared, hair-on-fire, BIG C illusion that I've been feeling stuck in is starting to fall away and I'm returning.  Reading blogs and sites of caregivers for throat cancer loved ones is helping me to understand my role and what proactive action I can take to get my DH through the hell he is to walk through.  I'll be purchasing a professional 3hp blender and will make the balanced and nutritious liquid meals (just bought a tube feeding book on Amazon) to keeping my DH going and to help the weight not going so far south, on his already slim, 6 foot frame.  I'm coming back - stepping up, my inner strength is rising. LB, x

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited August 2013

LB, way to go, girl! You are inspirational.

Went to Zumba last night. It felt like the teacher packed all the songs he ever did in the past plus some new ones into one session. Whew!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2013

LB.....I can't even imagine.  Both the shock and also preparing for the journey ahead.  Prayers to you, your husband, and also your children.  Hugs to both you and Joy.

For me, lots of sleeping this weekend.  Didn't realize how fried I was yesterday until the drive home from the bike shop.  I was glad to be home early (and safe!) and snuck in a nap.  I am almost where I need to be work-wise.

Perhaps a facial today after the church picnic.  (Not at church right now as slept in....see above.)

I ended up with two large containers of pesto in the freezer, plus enough for a batch of pasta.  Perfect.  I think I may do one more large batch.  The seen-better-days cherries were just delish stewed up with a spot of turbinado sugar and brandy, then served over ice cream.  YUM!  Beans were amazing too.

Exercise today will be cycling to the church picnic with my friends.  Actually the best way to go there as tons of cars so little parking.  Something like a total of 15 miles.  Glorious spot with a beach.

Wish me luck getting through this week!!!  Plus still need to arrange next weekend's vineyard escapade. - Claire

• SAB
    edited August 2013

Popped in this morning for some inspiration, preparing for a longer ride than I've done before and found inspiration of a deeper and more important kind...  

(((LB))) deeply moved by your strength and love. 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2013

((LB)) strength and courage

((Joy)) love and light

Walked for a hour this morning while it was still cool.  6.4 km = 4.0 miles.

Good luck to us all as we head into a new week!  ♥

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited August 2013

LB - I'll pray that you can reconcile with your friend. It's completely understandable how her attempt to identify with you would have been hurtful and frustrating. Everyone's natural tendency is to draw on our own "autobiography" rather than truly listening and seeking to understand what the other person is going through and feeling. Hopefully she can reflect back on her words and realize how unhelpful they were.

Joy, daily life with my own DH reminds me to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. He experienced what your children are going through. He was 14 when his dad died suddenly. I've heard so much about the wonderful father-in-law I never knew from my husband, his siblings, and his mom, who never remarried. May God hold you all close in the days ahead.

As for my exercise today, well that was the early morning walk with the dogs and will include swimming this evening.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited August 2013

11 hours of straight driving. Just checked into a hotel in northwest Georgia, where the weather is surprisingly cool and dry! The dog was pretty good until the last couple hours, and then she started to pant heavily, lick the windows and snap at imaginary bugs in the air. Another interesting traveling day tomorrow.

• odie16
    edited August 2013

Lilacblue, a true friend would understand so hopefully things will work out. Be gentle to yourself and lean on us whenever necessary while you are strong for everyone else. Hugs..

((Joy))..no words, just prayers and hugs...

As for exercise today, I aqua jogged and swam some leisurely laps in the pool today. Wishing everyone a good week ahead.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited August 2013

The only exercise I can report is walking to the fridge, opening it up and eating whatever jumps into my handCry   and like Patoo I have been taking my ibuprofin and I have been icing my knee and elevating my leg and I think I'm almost good to go again.

(((LB))) don't beat yourself up, you are under tremendous pressure and if your friend is a real friend she will understand, sending you love and hugs.  Ruth wow 11 hours is a great first day run.  Welcome Shemaria.  (((Joy))), one day at a time.

• _Ann_
    edited August 2013

Cheryl it's good you're taking a break with that knee.  I hope it gets back to normal soon.

LB, hugs to you.  Sorry your friend's reaction was hurtful.

More house work-- cleaning out low cabinets, up and down the ladder a few times, carried buckets of water.  To celebrate finishing plaster patching we went to one of the froyo places.  Later did my 30 minutes hooping.  No time for hiking today either.  I hope tomorrow.

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited August 2013

Hi ladies!

I've been over on the Wednesday Weigh In thread for a few months losing the same 3 pounds over and over, so I figured I'd come here to make myself more accountable.

I've returned to my healthy carbs only diet plan and am trying to bike or walk 1 hour each day. Last night I biked 12 miles with my beautiful daughter. Today I walked for an hour...that's ten times up to the stop sign and back. ;-)

Here's hoping it helps with the pounds, but at least I'm getting more toned and helping my heart!

• SAB
    edited August 2013

Good for you Dulcigirl!  Sounds like you have a built-in workout partner with your beautiful dd!

This morning I managed to get to yoga, and then spent an hour on the treadmill. 

• odie16
    edited August 2013

Welcome Dulcigirl! Sounds like you have a good plan..

Went to the gym today and did the Elliptical plus weights. Now off to soak in some bubbles..

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited August 2013

More driving. I have been in Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky and Illinois today. We did do a driving tour of the Chickamauga Civil War battle fields and I got out and read all the plaques and climbed to the top of an observation tower, but that is all the exercise for me.

• AnnieLane
    edited August 2013

Walked the dogs early this morning and did strength training at the gym on my lunch break. Trying to avoid stress eating. Learned today that my daughter may have developed a liver problem that puts her unborn baby girl (32 weeks) at risk. We won't know until her blood work comes back which may take a week. Then my 83 yr. old mother-in-law crashed her car into the front of a grocery store today when she hit the gas instead of the brakes. Thankfully she's ok. On top of all that I'm working overtime. Praying and doing a lot of deep breathing!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,857
    edited August 2013

(((Lilac)))

(((Joy)))

Cheryl: Glad your knee is getting better!

Dulcigirl: Welcome!

Ruth: I know you enjoyed the Civil War battlefields. Safe travels!

Annie: Keeping your dd, soon to be granddaughter, MIL, and you in my prayers. That is a lot of stress for one day.

Walked/ran this evening. Then got more exercise by laughing so hard I was crying while reading an e-mail I received about auto correction mistakes on texting. Hilarious!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited August 2013

Welcome Dulciegirl.  Wonderland I think I've seen portions of that email ... tonight I was laughing myself silly at a Jello commerical.  Ruth you're flying through the states, you'll be home before you know it.  Annie what a day, sending you a big (((HUG))).

This morning I put knee braces on and did a Sh'bam class but it was like stick leg dancing, didn't do any jumping just did it low option and tonight I stayed away from the spin bike which was realy hard but I figure a few more daysInnocent

(((Joy)))  (((LB)))

• _Ann_
    edited August 2013

Welcome Dulciegirl!  An hour a day will make a difference.

Did a 3.6 mile hike today with some weight in the backpack (library books, groceries).  My knees felt way better than they normally do after a hike.  I am not sure if it's because it was flatter terrain, or because I was wearing squishy sneakers instead of my minimalist shoes.  So now I must do a couple experiments -- hilly hike with squishy shoes, and flat hike with minimalist shoes :-)

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited August 2013

Annie, praying for the best outcome for DD and future GD.  Welcome, Dulcigirl!  Ruth, hope you're enjoying the scenery!  Cheryl, hope the knee heels fast.

Back to back Kickboxing and BodyJam last night. Just found out they will be discontinuing the latter sometime September. Curious to see what will replace it. 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited August 2013

Had a mammo and 2 year checkup with BS yesterday.  Got a bit nervous when the tech "needed" to get another view, but all came back clear - whew!  I celebrated by going to the gym, intervals and upper body machines. Pouring here today, so no walk at lunch.  Feeling fat and bloated, not sure what is up with that, as my eating hasn't been too bad of late, and I have been exercising.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited August 2013

Went for a hike with friends and my dog this morning, made it 2 hours and it was so good to have the distraction and fresh air.  My energy level is not high, felt every step especially the hills but it was so good to get out. 

I'm down 10 lbs. - hmmm - was trying so hard to do this before and now the weight is dropping without a problem.  Not a diet that I would recommend to anybody though.  

LilacBlue   I'm thinking of you, sending thoughts and many prayers in your journey.   

(((Annie)))

• SHEMARIA
    SHEMARIA Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2013

Hi Badger and all you ladies out there thanks for the welcome, i appretiate thee advice re tamoxifen it can be hard going when trying to exercise, that said i have walked every day since i joined this site its good to know we are all in this together.  I like to get outdoors as much as possible but living in England so weather not always permitting.  I am sorry to read that some of you are going through stressful times at the moment, my thoughts are with you and i do hope these times will pass and you will soon be feeling stronger.  I would hope now that i have started to keep up my walking lose some weight and get back into shape, its good to talk glad to have found this site, i wish you all the very best and i look forword to hearing from you Shemaria

• AnnieLane
    edited August 2013

Walked the dogs early this morning. Working overtime again today and I will try to get more activity in somehow.