Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Jianchi
    Jianchi Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2013

Did 60mins hike again today!

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2013

Mary, that makes me mad too! I really hate a lot of the cutesy pink ribbon stuff!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,858
    edited October 2013

Cute picture Annie!

Mary: Please tell your dh I'm thinking about him and hoping his wrist will be okay. Give Mikey a pat on the head for me.

Hello and welcome to all the new posters! So glad you have joined us.

Well, I survived my 40th high school reunion. Good time was had by all! Some things never change: Janet wouldn't talk to Laura, Jane got weirder, Bob kept starring at the women (insert silly happy face). You gotta love reunions!

Fast walked this afternoon. Felt great.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited October 2013

Incline training on the treadmill tonight plus weights. 

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited October 2013

Welcome Sweet and Goldie, this is a great thread. Pat, that's so wrong that the idiot didn't even stop! Claire, congrats on the clear mammo. Wanting to eat well is a great reason to learn to cook. I've always thought that cooking well was only for people who like to entertain or need to feed a family, isn't that silly of me? I am doing well with making yummy salads and cookies lately-- it's a start. AnnieLane, I found my chemo curls kind of overwhelming too. Fortunately my hair straightened out again. I am just snipping off the last bits of curl. Mary, I hope Road Runner reconsiders jumping on the pink bandwagon.

Hiked about 2-3 miles tonight. More than usual number of people on the trails. Maybe they come out when it cools off.

Yesterday I used a the timer for my hooping-- I could really tell I haven't been doing long sessions lately-- 30 minutes felt like a long time. Yet by the time it hits, I usually have a second wind. Then I forgot to check in here with my daily comment.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited October 2013

Annie add me to the list, I love your new picture (insert smiley face). Pat so glad they got him, I have a friend who was hit by an uninsured motorist, the girl thought that because my friend had insurance that her car would be covered, talk about dumb. Wonderland glad you survived the party. Mary give Mikey a hug from me, and tell DH good luck tomorrow. Jianchi a 60 minute hike is great. Ruth have you noticed that you're much busier now that you've 'retired'.

Did Body Jam class tonight, it was rough as I had been on my feet all day working so as they say 'my dogs were barking' but once I got into that GGX room and the music started playing my dancing feet just took over (insert happy face)

• Jianchi
    edited October 2013

hbcheryl,

Thank you for your encouragement. I was not exercising enough before diagnosed, and hope this cancer brings self awareness and healthy habits as a positive outcome.

I am lucky to be living nearby a state park which is in the city here. Never did body jam or Zumba, maybe I should start one of them when outdoor activity gets too cold.

• hbcheryl
    edited October 2013

Jianchi I didn't discover how much I loved exercise until 5 years ago I had started going to the gym, but I really 'heard' my onc when she told me that exercise was one of the best things I could do for myself, you just have to discover what works for you, that's why it's so good here we all do different things what works for one may not work for another, for me it's classes and I've made some wonderful friends through my classes we're known as the 'spandex crew'. One of my goddaughters is a 'Duck' and she has posted some beautiful pictures of walking trails up there, so lush and green, just gorgeous.

• Jianchi
    edited October 2013

hbcheryl, oh yes! I love Oregon. Fall is so so beautiful here. Today when I was walking on the trail with my husband, he said to me:"look at that leaf!" I quickly look at the direction that he was pointing at... I felt so lucky that I didn't miss the amazing scene - a large big leaf maple tree leaf falling down slowly and gently... Like a dream. My husband commented that it looks like an Angel. I was sad about a fallen Angel, but he said the Angel was fallen to help me. Very nice moment.

• hbcheryl
    edited October 2013

oh how sweet. We are still warm a little chilly in the mornings and I've just started wearing a lightweight jacket to the gym, I am in awe of people like Ruth and Mary who workout in the winter in their basements

• Jianchi
    edited October 2013

Hbcheryl, what do you do in your basement? Do you have a treadmill? Or so you do weights?

• hbcheryl
    edited October 2013

not me I'm in California, no basement. Mary has an elliptical machine and I think Ruth has a treadmill, me, both of those pieces of equipment would be clothes hangers, I am so conditioned to go to the gym, I can come home from work be dog tired and fall asleep but wake up in time to get to my class!!!!

• Jianchi
    edited October 2013

hbcheryl, haha, I can understand when you say treadmill becoming clothes hangers. I worry myself being that type too.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited October 2013

Goldie, yes, RI does have uninsured motorist coverage, which is how it would have been handled if they hadn't caught the guy. I picked up my rental car this morning, a jetta wagon - it will be nice to just have one vehicle while my car is getting fixed, which is looking like many days. So the gym bag is going in my "new" car tomorrow morning, I really have slacked off since the furlough ended. Did get a great walk in yesterday at lunch, but today is overcast with a hint of rain - not to mention I was late because I had to pick up a rental car.

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited October 2013

Pat, glad you got all your car stuff worked out.

I am so jealous of the ladies that live in beautiful places where you can get out, and see beautiful things while you walk/hike. I live in Texas. We only have half the year where it is not too hot to be outside, and where I live all we have are these cement paths that go around the park, and you have to walk it over, and over again to walk far enough. But, I am doing it!!! I never like classes, because of the strict schedule. But, I might have to get into them.

Yesterday, I did Yoga and walking. Today I will definitely walk.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited October 2013

Pat- hooray on the arrest! Score one for the good guys.

Got in a nice 2 mile run yesterday - weather is cooling down so is perfect for me. 3252 Fuelpoints. Lunchtime yoga today. Mikey is doing well and is being very accepting of the drops. It probably helps that he gets a yummy treat right afterwards.

Gee, that sports bra promo cheesed me off yesterday - could you tell? Maybe I shouldn't have been quite so snarky in my email to them, especially since yesterday was the official celebration of Snark-Free Day. But the email just hit me wrong. If they'd just promo'd exercise as a cancer risk reduction measure and included all their exercise stuff, that would have been a great educational campaign. But it's the same old thing - use BC as an excuse to talk about boobs and trot out the bras - kind of like those "feel your boobies" bracelets that are so popular in middle school. Do any of these marketing types ever think that marketing bras to combat a disease that often results in amputation of breasts is just a tad inappropriate? Would they ever do a Veterans' Day promotion that markets gloves to "honor" veterans who've had their arms or hands amputated??? :::eyeroll::: OK, climbing down off my soapbox now.

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited October 2013

Hello Ladies, I checked on here almost everyday. All of you ladies are so amazing.  The amount of times you put intoworking out wow!!!  I am trying to walk daily at least 30 mins, and I feel good afterward.   I will try to do at least an hour when my chemo is over, the end of this month.  Ladies, beside excerise did you change your eating (diet)?  I mean like no sugar, no salt, or white bread, no butter, no pork or red meat?Thanks Ladies!!!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2013

I don't think I have changed my diet much. I still focus on doing 80% right and making sure I get enough nutrients. So, with my roasted duck leg last night, I had Brussels sprouts, lentils, potatoes, and a tomato-basil salad as that season is winding down. I ate a plum for dessert, and yes, I had red wine with dinner. (No longer the no-no that was thought 3 years ago.)

Relatively early on, I figured out that worst case wouldn't be that my cancer came back, but that my cancer came back AND I had denied myself the pleasures in life.

I did eat a lot more protein than normal following active treatment. My body needed it to rebuild. So one to watch.

On the topic of good stuff to eat.....recently made a delish dish of pork, figs, Crimini mushrooms, and Marsala. This, a recipe from my friend in VT.

One walk I did recently was a 1.5 mile walk to the good French pastry shop and back. Marvelous for the soul. I actually carry sugar energy potions with me for my long rides cycling. You need this for endurance rides.

One difference though isn't diet, but that I consider every day a celebration.....that I am here, and able to live life to the fullest. My new take is that we eat too much, but don't feast nearly enough. - Claire

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2013

Did strength training at the gym and walked the dogs. We are finally getting something akin to fall weather, or our version of it, here in South Texas.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542
    edited October 2013

Here is where our Walking Wednesday Women walked today.....you can see why I was SO hot in DC....I am used to being COLD!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

Bonus picture: I thought this was neat, we came across this old abandoned country school house out in the middle of a soybean field. Just think of the interesting things you are learning about North Dakota! (insert wink)

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

And welcome, soriya! Good for you for keeping moving during chemo. It will really help you bounce back faster once you are done. I try to eat more fruits & veggies, get in more dairy, eat oatmeal more often etc. etc. (things everyone should be doing anyway) but no, I did not drastically change my diet, at wouldn't want to because I, like Claire (and all of us, I think) want to really celebrate life, and food is definitely part of my party (insert smiley face).

I do have a treadmill & use it sometimes if it is too cold, too late....whatever.....but I don't like it very much, it is kind of a 'last resort' option for me. I also have many, many exercise DVDs. I like Denise Austin & The FIRM the best (if just starting out, check out Denise first, she is easier to follow). I now that I am 'retired' (hahaha) and have a more flexible schedule, I have enjoyed getting back into some exercise classes.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,858
    edited October 2013

Ruth: I love the picture of the abandoned school house!

Welcome soriya! I agree with Ruth and Claire. Just want to add to practice moderation and variety with your foods and enjoy every bite.

Fast walked/ran in the wind this afternoon. Listening to the wind now.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2013

Tonight's exercise is to the wine bar for some sips and music. I am FRIED!!! If I get there in time, will stop by the market and pick up a few more veggies.

Gorgeous walking, Ruth.

Chilly and foggy here...will be wonderful conditions on Saturday for our annual "ghoulish" Halloween Ride. - Claire

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited October 2013

Welcome Soriya! Great pictures Ruth. Love the old schoolhouse...

Exercise tonight was Yoga class. Now enjoying some soup as it has turned chilly here. 

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited October 2013

Hi Ladies,

Welcome, Soriya. Keep up the good work. Like the other's ladies said, everything in moderation, and accent on the healthy stuff, and you should be good. I also agree with the higher protein intact till you heal.

Love the old school house. See what I mean!!!? Fun walks to cool places. No such thing where I live. Oh well, Is just plug the music in my ears and fantasize I am someplace beautiful.

I got up into the 80's today, so I didn't do much but a little bit of total gym in the house, and some housework, which now counts as exercise. It never did before...lol.

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited October 2013

Thank you ladies!  Ruth beautiful pics.  Today I walked 40 mins around the neighborhood with my mom.  

• TeamLizzy
    TeamLizzy Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013

Hello women on the move!

I am brand new here, posting for the first time. This is all very interesting to me. I just finished treatment 7 weeks ago this Friday. I was doing too much at first, trying to get life back to a new normal, but make up for lost time basically and was doing too much. Then I was and still somewhat resting alot. Trying to make a smaller goal for myself that I can achieve and be encouraged by. I was not moving, resting, mainly because my joints hurt. I am now trying my 3rd different estrogen blocker. I am also going to make myself move more, in gentle ways, my favorite is swimming, I have a 24 hour gym with huge pool, so no problem or excuses being able to swim.

I swam on Monday for 45 mins. I also walk a dog, my business, every week day. Today we walked about 1.5 miles. I just was turned onto the Runkeeper app. on my phone. For some reason it didn't save today's walk info. I am sure it was operator error. :)

I will be walking Saturday in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer for the American Cancer Society with several ppl from my church family. I signed up for 3 miles.

Tomorrow I will be walking with the dog again, possibly bike riding with a friend. Also my other business work is physical activity that gets my heart rate up, I also clean offices/houses, 10 to 12 times a month is all I can do.

I worked through most of my 2 surgeries and my chemo and radiation out of $ necessity. I am glad I did.

I also do a gentle yoga mediation class once a week with a goal of home practice daily, but that doesn't happen consistantly.

I am grateful to have found this website and discussion board by "accident". I was looking up the spelling of Tamoxifen to email a friend and it came up from this discussion group.

Thanks for letting me share.

Blessings, TeamLizzy

• hbcheryl
    edited October 2013

Welcome Soriya. Ruth love the schoolhouse picture. Odie it has turned chilly here too, first sign, I wore socks today (insert smiley face).

This morning did Sh'bam class and tonight was Body Combat.

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited October 2013

Welcome Soriya and TeamLizzy. Goldie, housework totally counts as exercise. Ruth it looks like beautiful country there. Mary, I am with you-- it's so inappropriate to use sexualized or cute-ified images of breasts and pink bras and whatnot in BC marketing and awareness junk. Makes me really angry, especially when it comes from Komen who you'd think would know better. Grrr!

Hooped about 40 minutes tonight. No hike.