Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited October 2013

no walk for me today....I  was walking about 10 mins then my sister texted me that she at my front door dropping off pop cakes for the kids.  

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited October 2013

10 minutes and then a cake, sounds good to meLoopy Ooh look what happened in the last 10 minutes all of a sudden I got emoticons, yeahyeahHappy

Forgot to say LB I sure hope you dodged St Jude ooeee and Joy, thinking of you always (((HUG)))

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited October 2013

Thanks, Cheryl. I took it with my new phone's camera. Amazing how much light it can absorb.

Soriya and Ruth, sisters are nice.

Welcome Jian. We get a lot of rain here in Zurich, too.

Did BodyJam last night. Plus 5,500 steps. That with about 50 minutes of biking around town was enough to get me to my Goal of 875 exercise calories burned. Then I burned some cash to reward my burning calories. HappyI bought shoes for my first Tango lesson tomorrow. Tonight is Zumba night.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542
    edited October 2013

Welcome 4sew.

Gorgeous picture, Heidi. Wow!!

Went to Zumba and now need to get ready to sub.

I got an e-mail from Badger and she is taking a break from the boards because she is swamped getting her mom ready for her move from Florida to Wisconsin. She is fine and will be back. Happy

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited October 2013

I'm loving all the pictures! It's nice that we can now upload pix directly instead of having to post them on a 3rd party site and link them from there. Heidi - what a spectacular picture. I can't believe that's a phone camera picture. Wow. And Ruth - great pix of you and your sis and I love the airplane picture of the family farm. Although did your sister have to wear her Broncos shirt - it's a bit painful for DC football fans after our team's meltdown last Sunday. Bawling

Goldie - Pat can tell you more about her FitBit. I have the Nike version - the Fuelband. I find it very useful to keep me moving, and it also holds me accountable when I have a lazy day and don't make my points. But it's also great positive reinforcement when you make goal.

Long walk for Mikey yesterday, and a half a hour of leaf raking. A couple of trees haven't let go at all, so I've got a lot of raking to do over the next few weeks. Scared DH's wrist is conveniently keeping him from raking so I'll get all the pleasure of raking this year, at home and at the cabin - lucky me. Loopy (OK, I agree, these new icons are just a tad on the creepy side.) Just made my Fuelpoints yesterday - 3,053.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited October 2013

Goldie, so far I love my fitbit. I got the fitbit one, it's very small so you can either tuck it in your pocket or clip it on your shirt or bra. It measures steps, distance, floors, calories, active periods, and sleep cycle. The first couple of weeks I was wearing it 24/7, but now I'm just using it when I'm awake, as I always thought I was a good sleeper, and fitbit confirmed it. It syncs wirelessly to your computer/tablet/phone, and with the app you can look at your progress over days/weeks/months/years. You can also see your progress during the day on it's tiny little display. I've only had it about 3 weeks, so I'm still a little stymied by goal setting, but it came with preset goals. The step counter appears to be very accurate, I checked it out by counting my steps down the driveway then checking the fitbit, spot on. So last weekend I decided I would try to get 10,000 steps a day, and it is proving to be a real challenge with a full time job and after work activities. So far I have hit my goal both Monday and Tuesday, and I find I'm getting up from my desk more and walking down the hall to add steps, then when I get home I walk up and down the driveway to get to about 9000, knowing I'll probably reach 10,000 just by normal around the house walking.

Got a nice walk in at lunch yesterday, and classical stretch this morning.

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited October 2013

Thanks, Pat.

I will look at the Fitbit you have also. I need a little motivation. We live in an area where nobody walks unless they are exercising, or homeless. When you see somebody walking in normal clothes (not work-out clothes) you think their car must have broken down, or some other odd reason they are walking somewhere. I grew up in NY where you walked everywhere, and never thought about walking specifically for exercise.

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2013

Walked the dogs with DH and went to the gym to do strength training on the weight machines. Yes, Ruth, these emoticons are a little creepy Sick

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

Man, the school was freezing cold & I was under dressed.....did a little lower body toning when I got home, took a long, boiling hot shower & now am lying in bed with tons of covers....brrrrr......hope I am not getting sick (which is possible because DH came down with a rotten cold when we were in Wisconsin). Blah!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited October 2013

Ran/walked a 5k on the treadmill tonight plus weights. 

Happy Hump Daaaay everyone!!! Smile

• soriya123
    edited October 2013

This morning walked the kids to school, back n forth about 20 mins.  In the afternoon walked around the neighborhood about 30 mins. Ruth I hope you're ok, not sick.  

• hbcheryl
    edited October 2013

Did Bootcamp tonight, oh my gosh I thought my heart was going to come out of my mouth and that was just in the warm up, then the class started, yikes Shocked Ruth I hope you're not coming down with your DHs bug, it's turned cold for us too, I've come in had a shower and put my PJs on. Well guess I might look into getting myself one of those fitbitts or something like it, I need to be accountable. Mary get yourself some groovy music and dance while you rake Headphones

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited October 2013

Enjoying the pictures and travel stories.

Loopy <--- Here's a random and creepy emoticon for you all. What's this supposed to communicate? I had a little too much wine? I fell down and got a concussion? I'm just not sure at all :-)

Hiked for over 90 minutes, hooped a bit over 30. Plus I scrubbed the stovetop, microwave, and about half the kitchen counter (the tile-n-grout kind that was ubiquitous in 90s construction. Stupidest countertop surface ever devised!) That was a big exercise day for me. Lovely views hiking as we finally got some rain that cleared the air. The creekbed even had a bit of standing water in it finally. The DH tells me it becomes a rushing creek in rainy season. I have been looking forward to that.

• pat01
    edited October 2013

goldie, I grew up in NYC too. You are right, I remember it was a hike just to get to the bus stop in the morning, and never thought about it as exercise! My son lives in New Orleans, and when we visit him we wind up walking everywhere - a much healthier way to live. Where I live now, you need a car to get anywhere and everywhere, so it's hard to get regular walking in.

Most days at work I try to get a walk in at lunch. With my new 10,000 step daily goal with fitbit, I've been made more aware of how sedentary I am during the day. Last night before bed I was doing laps around my downstairs trying to get to 10,000 - but I did it! Just got back from my lunchtime walk and I'm at 5600 steps. Today won't be a problem because I'm going to the gym after work, but on days when I'm busy in the evening I can see 10,000 being a real challenge. But a fun one!

Go red sox!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

Well, I am fighting with DH's cold; popping vitamin C, gargling with salt water, drinking extra fluids etc. so we will see who wins out. I just did some abs & am going to go to the 5:30 pm Zumba class (with the really good teacher) in a few minutes. I am going to SKIP the 6am tomorrow because: I'm tired, and I'm subbing (on Halloween so I will need all my energy just to survive the day Loopy....these faces are weird!). Also going to Book Club tonight & will drink some wine for medicinal purposes.......

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited October 2013

Oh, Ladies - y'all ROCK!!!

It's so motivating to see how each of you builds in exercise each day. I always thought "exercise" meant you had to go to the gym and work out, or take a class, but I'm finding out differently.

I saw the MO on the 11th of this month after a two month break from anastrozole. She put me on Femara. She said that recent studies showed that women who were active BEFORE going on the AIs tended to have fewer SEs than those who weren't.

She said she didn't care what I did, as long as I kept moving every day. And she said to do something I liked, instead of something I forced myself to do.

So I strapped on my old pedometer, and just concentrated on spending fewer hours sitting at the computer or watching TV, and finding more excuses to walk places.

It seems that most of my appointments at the hospital are on the fourth floor, so I've started running up and down the stairs. (Well, maybe not "running" exactly...) That also keeps me from being trapped in a small elevator with hacking, germy, sick people. Sick DH went with me a few days ago - he took the elevator and I took the stairs, both up and down, and I beat him both ways.

My new plan for shopping includes making a list, going up and down each aisle of WalMart to get everything, then going back over the entire store with a full cart, at top speed, several times before I check out. If I do that at Costco, I also get an awesome upper body workout!!!

With the exception of the two days I spent in bed with either a stomach bug or Femara SEs, I'm averaging about 14,000 steps a day. It's tough, but all those little steps add up.

Thank you all so much for the great stories and inspiration!!!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

Great job, Blessings!!

• soriya123
    edited October 2013

Ladies, Just finished my last chemo #6.  Kinda drowsy n tired.  Not sure if I abe to walk later on but i will try to force myself to walk.  I will be on Herceptin till July 2014.

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited October 2013

Soriya

Yeah!!! Last Chemo!!! That is awesome. You deserve a day off my everything else. But, if walking makes you feel better then do it. I am so happy for you.

I did nothing today but get a bad haircut. My hairdresser moved away, and I can't get a decent haircut. I have tried 3 different people so far. Arg!!!!!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2013

I hauled at least 25lb of groceries back from the supermarket (one half mile) for the oxtail stew with pumpkin ale I am making! Needed stuff like 5 lb of flour, so bumped up the weight. To say nothing of those 5 lb of potatoes.

Note the "seasonal" touch for Halloween.

I have the opera tonight so another 1.5 miles of walking. Beyond busy with work and everything.

Stew is for the wine bar party tomorrow night. Healthier than Halloween candy or Happy Hippos.

Catch you ladies later. - Claire

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2013

Walked the dogs in the neighborhood and did some squats and lunges at home.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited October 2013

Congrats on finishing chemo Soriya!!! Hope you feel better Ruth and watch out for the little goblins. 

Went to Yoga tonight plus some light toning.

• hbcheryl
    edited October 2013

Wow great job Blessings. Congratulations On your last chemo Soriya. Ruth hope you sweated the bug out of you at Zumba or drowned it in the wineWinking Has anyone noticed that these emoticons look like pumpkins Singing

Did Sh'bam class today and tonight met up with gym friends at a local bar.

• soriya123
    edited October 2013

Thank you ladies!  I didnt walk today.  Chemo hit me right a way, no appitite so i nap  a lot today.  

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited October 2013

Way to go Blessings, 14,000 is a lot of steps. Soriya, congratulations on finishing chemo!

My day was out of whack because the fridge started sounding like a small airplane. It's old, cheap, and has a broken defroster already, so I spent the day trying to find a new model that can be delivered this week. Actually ate at McDonald's (yuck!) in between shopping trips. I did about 20 haphazard minutes of hooping after ordering a new fridge online. I hope the old one survives until Friday when the new one is delivered.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited October 2013

Yay, Blessings. Soriya, indulge in those naps. They will help you heal. At least that's what I told myself for at least 2 years.

Less than 5,000 steps yesterday but I was mentally exhausted from my Tango lesson. And also my Tango steps are not counted.

I did this Fitness test http://www.ntnu.edu/cerg/vo2max which was written about in the NY Times. My Fitness Age is "20" and my 13 year old is "younger than 20". LOL and pat on the back for me! (True Age is 56.) Before diagnosis at 49 my Fitness Age was 45 although that's just an estimate.

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited October 2013

lol!! That was fun! Thanks!! Actual age is 47 and it said my fitness age was less than 20! Wish my knee (and my behind!) agreed. Loopy

I may try walking a little today. Had my revision surgery last week and am behaving and following doctor's orders, but keeping up with all of your posts jealously!!!!

• pat01
    edited October 2013

Hmmm - for me actual age of 60 but fitness age of 67? Are you sure you ladies are putting your waistline in centimeters and not inches (I like my age if I input inches :) I am not sure why it thinks I'm so much older, I have a belly, but my other criteria would indicate average health.

So I've reached my 10k step goal for 4 days straight. Today I'm not so sure, I'm not even at 1000 and I'm already at work, and have something after work so not able to go to the gym. Did get to the gym yesterday for some intervals and weight machines - I did not want to go, and afterward felt like I had been hit with a truck, normally I feel great after exercising. Hope I'm not coming down with something. Feel tired today, but the world series might have something to do with that!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited October 2013

My fitness age on Heidi's test was 50 with my actual age being 57. I think that waist measurement was my downfall. Singing

Ruth and Pat - take it easy and take care of yourselves - we don't want you coming down with some bug. Pat - thanks to your Red Sox for beating the Cardinals - I've disliked the Cards after what they did to my Nats last year. Devil I bet all of New England is tired this morning! Congrats on Chemo Graduation Day, Soriya! Take care of yourself and nap as needed. Goldie - I had to try 4 different hairdressers after chemo to find one I liked. I used to have fine straight limp hair, but my post-chemo hair came back with more curl and body and a completely different texture. Dulci - glad you're feeling better - my surgeon always had me on restrictions except for walking - she said I could do as much of that as I wanted.

Happy Halloween from the Baby Panda (complete with Panda Cam)! We're having a pot luck for lunch at work - I brought Chinese Chicken with "Cash-BOO" Nuts. Happy

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited November 2013

natsfan, what a great idea! Very cute!!

Pat01, I THINK I did it correctly. 29.5 inches x 2.54=74.93cm??

HOWEVER, I did do it over and think I miscalculated my resting heart rate. This time I used a stopwatch, so it should be more accurate. Now I'm 34. That fits better!!