Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542
    edited October 2013

Welcome Lizzy!

Off to Zumba & subbing again today. No rest for the wicked (wink).

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited October 2013

Thanks, Ann. Today I am working hard on doing a top to bottom cleaning on the master bath. I believe that is worth one Zumba class. Actually, I am just glad that I can get back to cleaning the house they way I like, instead of doing the bare minimum.

Welcome Team, sounds like you are doing plenty. Hang in there with the estrogen blockers. Sometimes it's just getting adjusted to one, and then you will be okay.

Tonight I walk, today I clean. Tomorrow, yoga and walking. Baby steps.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2013

I think my place was cleaner during active treatment! Had to prove to myself I could do it. Now, I have other things to lead me astray. This is almost everything else I do. But have to admit, I have been tackling the major items one by one. Perhaps the oven today???

Adding in running this summer has been a major game-changer for me. I am cycling better than ever. I am measuring this in terms of hills climbed and times to finish major events. But more recently, I have noticed that the "starchiness" on the bottoms of my feet is breaking up.

This was from the end of AC, not Taxol. It really didn't affect me that much, except for wearing open-toed sandals, which is hardly a life-altering problem. I got the "grippy-ness" back a couple of months in. Now, the "starchiness" is leaving. I am so excited.

I am enjoying regular endorphin highs from running too. Even in this fog!!!

Back to work.....and looking forward to my run later. Perhaps the sun will come out and stay out today???? - Claire

• goldie4040
    edited October 2013

Hey Claire, I know what you mean about tacking one big item in the house a day.

What do you mean by grippy-ness and starchiness? I know it has something to do with chemo, but I am not sure what you mean. Excuse my ignorance.

I wish I could run. Even when I was young, and in extremely good shape (was very close to wanting to body build) I never felt comfortable running. I think it has something to do with the fact that I have flat feet, I don't know. I love to walk.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited October 2013

It was some sort of nerve damage to the bottoms of my feet (and fingertips). I lost some sensory feeling which I can best describe as feeling like starch or hairspray. For my fingertips, a layer of water helps. None of this prevented me from doing anything I wanted to, and no more than slightly annoying.

Anyway, it's breaking up on the bottoms of my feet.

I am the world's next-to-worst runner, being the absolute worst about six months ago. I just forced myself to try. I was HORRIBLE in high school. Believe it or not, suspect I am better now with a bit of practice.

Anyway, I don't care because this one is about getting out there and pounding my legs to the point they build bone. The better cycling and healing for my feet are major unexpected bonuses.

My oven which I had scheduled for today is still uncleaned. - Claire

• goldie4040
    edited October 2013

Claire, if somebody walks in your house and opens your oven to check how clean it is I would faint, and then ask them to leave. The oven can wait. I am so glad the running is helping you so much. I am afraid it will hurt my lower back, which I have had issues with since a car accident many years ago. I think I will stick to my walking for now. I have a stepper which I get on periodically to give my legs more muscle if I want. Right now it's all about getting my energy back.

I am so glad I found you guys. It's so great to share our triumphs, and our limitations so we know we are not alone.

I got the whole bathroom done except I really wanted to empty the linen closet, throw away what's got to go, and refold and put everything back. I saw this great thing on some TV show where you take a set of perfectly folded sheets and put them inside one of the pillow cases from the set. It keeps them all together, and neat. I love this idea.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

Anybody who wants to come clean and organize my house is more than welcome to come on over!!! (smile)

Well, we had a substitute teacher at Zumba this morning & she did such a tremendous job that I might have to take her evening class once and awhile (she is from Brazil which probably explains things). I did 45 minutes of toning after I got home from school tonight.

I will be off the grid for a couple days (unless I check in on my phone, which IMO is a pain in the you know what). We are going to a family reunion out of state so I will be away from the computer & busy, busy. It will be fun because it is with my mom's family, who are the nicest, funniest people in the world (and dangerous for the diet because they are also the best cooks in the world). My N.C. sister is flying in & I am excited because I haven't seen her since summer. SIL and I have a walking date planned for Saturday morning, but other than that it will be 'eat, drink and be merry'.

Keep Movin' and Groovin'! Much Love! Ruth

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2013

DH & I took the dogs out for a good long walk this morning and another shorter one this evening. My dad & I also walked around the cemetery where my mom is buried this afternoon. It was a beautiful day here. Today would have been her 82nd birthday. She died of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and Saturday we will be doing the Walk to Defeat ALS.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited October 2013

I am so sorry Annie Lane. ALS is one of those deals that makes a trip through breast cancer treatment look like a walk in the park.

Back from my run. Still a bit of work to do. And got my oven clean. Woo-hoo!!! - Claire

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,858
    edited October 2013

Mary: Have you heard from Road Runner yet?

Ruth: Have Fun!!! Please tell your sister Hello for me.

Hey everybody. My exercise today was taking a 2 hour nap. Must have needed it!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

I will say hello from you, wonderland......remember our LONG trip back to her house last summer?!!!!

• goldie4040
    edited October 2013

Ruth, have a great time at the family reunion. There is nothing like getting away, and being with people you enjoy.

Annie, sorry about ALS taking your mom. We have a family friend with ALS and he is having a rapid decline. So sad to watch.

Yeah Claire! Clean oven...lol

Wonderland, I love your exercise routine today. It's one of my favorites!

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited October 2013

AnnieLane, so sorry about your mom. It's good you got to spend time with your dad on her birthday. Claire, it's good to hear your nerve damage is healing. I did not know that stuff could heal so long after treatment.

Two mile hike tonight and about 15 minutes of hooping.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 126
    edited October 2013

Are you all in the middle of chemo and exercising or are most post-chemo and surgery. I am doing chemo and the taxol has knocked me on my ash. I cannot do more than walk when required a quarter to a half of a mile - limping the last several steps. I am doing restorative yoga - not the regular kind at all. That si what I am able to do at this point. This is taxol post ACx4. What are other folks on this regiment doing?

V

• goldie4040
    edited October 2013

HVV, give yourself some time. You are doing great considering you are still in the midst of chemo. I would love to know what you mean by restorative yoga. I am doing some, but can't quite get it all back just yet due to the expanders I have right now. Is there a DVD you use, or do you go to a class?

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited October 2013

Ruth...Have fun, sounds very exciting!  Annie so sorry to hear about your mom.  Clair ....yay to clean oven.   HVV, I still have one more chemo to go.  Yes Texotere also hard on me, but i always force myself to walk a little here n there.  Today didnt do much walking.  Walk to my kids school picked them up, back n forth about 16 mins.  Walked to grocery store back and forth about 15 mins.LOL.....

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited October 2013

Welcome Lizzie you are doing great and HVV slow and steady, even if you only go to the front door and back, the important thing is that you are moving. Annie I had a dear dear friend with ALS it is such an insidious disease. Claire my oven awaits if you're available. I have a friend coming from Australia on Saturday usually I wash the windows for guests but I can't be bothered, hey she's lucky I'm putting fresh linens on the bed!!!!! Ruth have a wonderful time with the family, you're catching the 'class' bug and yes when you stumble upon a great instructor it makes it even more worth it.

I did a Spin class at my gym tonight then drove 20 miles and did a Body Jam class at the gym I was going to over where I was house sitting, it was a sub and she was phenomenal her mike shorted out and she did the whole class just guiding with her hands and boy could she dance, it was a great workout and worth the drive.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 126
    edited October 2013

Thanks. That's helpful. I go to a class and it is a wonderful time for stretching, posing and strengthening but in restorative yoga many props are used to help you achieve the poses and the emphasis is on not stressing the body. I am not pushing myself to walk; at all. I hope to return to the gym and occasionally use the bike. i've been sedentary mostly and this treatment has really sapped my energy.

• mrtw43
    mrtw43 Member Posts: 146
    edited October 2013

Good morning all. Ruth have a wonderful time enjoy your family. I was able to get in an hour walk while my son had soccer practice last night. Another mom was willing to walk with me and we had such a good time, we are going to try and keep it up for every practice.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited October 2013

Welcome to all new or newish women to this thread!  Good photos Claire, Ruth and Annie Lane, nice updated photo.

Got to step and body balance at the gym this morning and in a bit taking dh for his last radio and will have this weeks chemo completed too.  Two more weeks of treatment for him and the trudge continues.  (((Joy))) Thinking of ya and have a good start to the weekend (((Everyone)))!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited October 2013

I found the switch-over week from AC to Taxol the hardest. Because you are coping with BOTH chemos. Then, I felt progressively better. I walked anyway, but I do admit to naps. I was switching over computers that week, and I remember sleeping during the 3 hours of data transfer.

Then I had to learn a new operating system and Office 2007. My poor brain, and it wasn't chemo brain either!!!

Soriya....enough walking to keep your basic fitness. Good going!!!

Anyway, I was able to cycle almost twice as far with Taxol vs the end of AC.

My whole take was to push myself throughout as thought I would be dragging either way, and I might as well be exercised! I think I slept better because of this. This includes weights and crunches. Sometimes, it took forever to finish the weights, but I always triumphed.

But I know that not everyone can do this. - Claire

• goldie4040
    edited October 2013

sonya

Don't put yourself down. Those little walks mean a lot. You will do more when you feel up to it.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited October 2013

Ruth - great pix. I LOVE the little schoolhouse - pretty cool. But as others have said, wow is it flat out there. Have a wonderful family reunion trip!

HVV and others doing chemo or just done - do what you can that day. It may be that some days just getting out of bed and walking to the living room is the best you can do. Other days you might be able to walk around the block or even do more. We're all different, and even individual days are different. For me, chemo hit me very hard, and there were a lot of days by the end of chemo that I could do no exercise at all. Be good to yourselves and if you have one or two or a month of those days when you can do little or no exercise, so be it. But as Claire said, I found that on the days when I could manage even a little exercise I slept a lot better than I did on non-exercise days.

No response from RRS yet. Tweaked my knee running a few days ago, so am giving it a rest as we have another 5K this weekend and I really want to do it. The local ski resorts don't have snow yet, so one of them is doing a run instead as part of their Fall Fest - the runners take a chair lift to the top, then we run down the ski trail for 5K. I plan to be very careful with my knee on the downhills, and if I have to walk some so be it. Babying the knee means that walking Mikey has been my main exercise this week so I haven't hit my Fuelpoints goal since Tuesday. :: frowny face:: Turns out DH has "a pretty good tear" in the main wrist cartilage according to the hand surgery. The surgeon said it's possible it could heal itself over the several months, so he put DH in a cast for a month just to see if there's any healing at all. If not, then surgery will probably be needed. The surgeon was honest and said that given the extent of the tear it's probably going to require surgery, but there's enough of a chance that he'd like to try conservative treatment first and avoid surgery if at all possible. However it goes, it's going to be months before he's back to normal. I think this is really just a sneaky way for DH to avoid leaf raking season and snow shoveling season. ::rueful grin:: Off to the cabin this weekend!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited October 2013

Welcome to the new faces. For those still doing chemo, be proud of yourself for any and all exercise efforts. Walking can be a great way ease back into things.  Annie, I am so sorry about your mom. ALS is an awful disease... Hugs....Ruth, enjoy the reunion and all the merriment. Cheryl, I am seriously thinking of checking out the body pump class at my rec center and blame you...teehee...  Mary, hope the conservative treatment works for DH and the Almanac is wrong on this winter...

Did a 4 mile run/walk last night on the treadmill plus weights and did several miles on the Elliptical tonight plus weights. Planning a weekend full of chores and cleaning.  Insert sad face....

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2013

HVV, for most of us, chemo is back somewhere in our rear view mirror on this journey. Not everyone on this thread even had chemo. If you are getting in a bit of walking during chemo, kudos to you!

Walking the dogs with DH is all I managed to do on this very full workday, but at least I managed that.

The ALS walk is tomorrow. It's always bittersweet. I will carry a sign with my mom's name on it and our family has team T-shirts printed with her name. Her name was Ann Elaine, and my user name here is in her memory. There is so much more hope for BC patients these days than for ALS patients.

~Gail Ann

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited October 2013

HVV, doing a little walking and yoga is great while dealing with chemo fatigue. I had the same chemo and my energy improved a bit during Taxol, I think because it's just not as hard on you as AC. Then by the end of Taxol fatigue was getting to me again.

Hooped about 40 minutes tonight and unloaded a carload of furniture. Going to dismantle some shelves and load those up in the car later tonight.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2013

Hello new ladies. Don't worry about how much you do...your body will encourage you to do more when it is time.

I am an occasional poster these days, but love to read about everyone's excellent work. Made it to the gym after work for an hour of elliptical.

• goldie4040
    edited October 2013

Hey Ladies

Walked twice around the track at the park, and did some Pilates tonight. That was all I could do after a full day of errands, including Costco, where I skipped all the samples!

Tomorrow my DH, and I have a Halloween party to go to. I feel a little weird about going because I am going to see people from his job that only have heard about my BC, and I haven't seen in a long time. I hate those awkward encounter's where people don't know what to say, and they try not to look at your boobs, but they can't help it. Ugh. I am going to go, and just pretend it's all good. I also feel like I have nothing to wear because I haven't bought anything new because my exchange is in Dec., and the stuff I have just looks wrong with these stupid expander's. I will figure something out. Sorry, didn't mean to be such a downer.

Annie, have fun on the ALS walk. I know it's bittersweet, but what a good thing you are doing.

Nats, you too, good luck on your run. Hope your knee holds up.

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited October 2013

On Friday I walked with hubby around the neighborhood for 45 mins.  :)  i would love to do yoga n zumba one day.

• goldie4040
    edited October 2013

Sonya

Hey, 45 minutes is great! Yoga and Zumba will happen when you are ready. I am no where near ready for Zumba, I do some Yoga, and some Pilates. I am very selective about which poses and exercises I do. Nothing to challenging. I remember when I was in my early 20's I went to a Yoga class, and I thought to myself, "is this exercise? anybody can do this" Skip ahead quite a few years, and here I am doing the "easy" poses...lol.