Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited November 2013

I did it. I ran out between down pours and got my walk in, in addition to my lower body pilates DVD. My butt, and thighs will hurt by tomorrow.

Thanks to all of you. This is a great and upbeat place. You are helping me get motivated.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542
    edited November 2013

hooray!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited November 2013

Ruth - you're a smart girl to go back to bed and not finish the abs DVD. I work with a guy who has done the Iron Man a couple of times, and he said that sometimes blowing off training for a day is exactly the right thing to do as part of your training. So if even an Iron Man needs to blow off training now and then, I guess we lesser mortals can do that too. Claire - you hang in there too. Both of you - keep that bug west of the Mississippi please! Sick Joy - that jump board does look like fun - all the benefits of jumping without all the strain on the joints.

Half hour of leaf raking at dawn this morning. I wanted to do an upper body workout anyway, so I figured I might as well do something socially useful. The peaches and oranges of the dawn light really highlighted the oranges and reds of the leaves I was raking.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited November 2013

A nice walk at lunch yesterday, and reached my 10K step goal again. Out the next 3 nights, will be nearly impossible to reach my step goal, but will try, and then get back on track next weekend!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2013

I was slammed yesterday, so didn't get in my walk last night. Had my LAST cycling club board meeting. Beyond time to hand things off to someone else, but I did need to be there for the handoff. Was glad to make the ten minute drive home safe. Then a client email and off to bed.

Hoping to get in a walk or run later today. Plus some easy cycling over the weekend. I think Thanksgiving weekend will most likely be catch-up for exercising.

Need to jump in the shower as another busy day. Catch you sculpted ladies later. Still dragging. - Claire

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited November 2013

Claire & Ruth, hope you are both on the mend soon.

We walked the 3 puppy girls today and then I went to the gym and did endurance training on the weight machines and stretched my painful shoulder. I'll be darned if I'm going to let it freeze up on me completely like the other one did a few years ago.

I am off today and tomorrow and it's nice to have a little extra time to exercise.

• AnnieLane
    edited November 2013

Me & Dad at the Walk to Defeat ALS a couple weeks ago. My mom was born and raised in Maine, but ended up in San Antonio when my dad retired from the Air Force. All her life she called herself a "Maineiac." The first year we did the walk after she had been diagnosed we asked her to help us pick a team name and we came up with Ann's Texas Maine-iacs. The local ALS association made the sign bearing her name. They do that in memory of every patient they've served. Having watched my mom's battle with ALS helps me keep a healthy, hopeful perspective on breast cancer. And the slogan "Walk...because you can" helps me keep motivated to exercise.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

What an awesome tribute, Annie! You and your dad look great. I LOVE both your team name and slogan!

I felt 'more better' today, so walked with my ladies (because I could!) & will maybe even do Zumba tonight.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited November 2013

AnnieLane - what a great pic of you and your dad! I have several friends who do the ALS walks in their cities in memory of their parents or spouses.

~~~

I sure feel for you gals who are experiencing colder temps these days. This is a pic a friend posted on Facebook today:

~~~

Well, I lounged around in my jammies for the past few days... had bad back pain and felt like a cold coming on. Total couch potato. Last night I took a Norco and a Valium, and was able to wake up - refreshed and feeling good - before my alarm this morning!

Went to early morning Bible Study... now I'm off to Michaels, Trader Joes, and Walmart for some Retail Aerobics!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

HAHAHAHA.......love it!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,858
    edited November 2013

Annie: Beautiful picture of you and your dad. Great name for your team!

Ruth: Glad your feeling better. It looks really cold!

Blessings: That picture is so true!

My son is home for a visit so he got to help me rake leaves today. We raked for 40 minutes then went to the park and walked/ran for another 40 minutes before it got too dark. It was 64 degrees and felt nice.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2013

Love the pictures. Great picture with your dad, Annie.. Glad to hear you are feeling better Ruth.

Went to the gym tonight for 20 minutes each  on the Elliptical and bike plus some weights and toning. 

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited November 2013

Ann, love the pic of you, and your dad.

Ruth, glad to see you out walking with your friends!

All you guys put me to shame. I ran around a lot today. I took two laps around Costco just to make sure there wasn't something else I wanted to buy. Then met a friend for lunch, and I was so proud of myself. She had chicken fried steak and biscuit's, and I had a veggie omelet, with dry wheat toast...lol. Even in a country cooking eatery I was able to find something on the healthy side.

Oh, I got my walk in tonight.

• AnnieLane
    edited November 2013

Blessings, love that pic. Yep, fifty degrees in South Texas is like fifty degrees in Florida.

Ruth, what a great looking bunch of ladies! You seem to have a lot of fun together.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

Come out and see me sometime and you too can be a Walking Woman......any Wednesday, 8 am sharp! Happy

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2013

Need to work RUNS back into my routine, but that is for next week. Today, just glad to do the exercise plus a mile walk. Plus, accomplished all the work stuff I just had to make a success. Major inroads on that front.

I am declaring a victory, so wine, dinner, and an early night.

BTW.....was at a local French bistro for a late lunch on Saturday and noticed that NO ONE there was overweight. About 30 people of diners and wait staff. More a case of eating reasonable portions of delish food vs mega portions of generic.

My salad of sauted pork tongue with celery root etc. was delish. I had a glass of traditional Cotes du Rhone to go with. Just heaven.

I get Monday off so will regroup over the weekend. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

My dinner beckons....... - Claire

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited November 2013

Remarkably got my 10k steps in yesterday, thanks to an extra long walk at lunch. But raining here today :( - how many times can I go to the water cooler? Feeling pooped after being out late last night at dress rehearsal, but concert is going to be fantastic. Working from home tomorrow, so I can sleep in a little (wink wink).

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited November 2013

Great pix, everyone. Blessings - that's so true - we were in Key West one time and it had gotten down to 50 - every one there was wearing sweaters, scarves, and mittens.

While getting dressed this morning, I happened to glance out the window and there was a 6 point buck wandering through our back neighbor's yard. He was gorgeous! This wasn't even at the cabin - this was at our home in the suburbs.

30 minutes on the elliptical this morning, while watching an old Lassie. Timmy didn't fall in the well, but he did spend the entire show dangling upside down in a tree when he got tangled up in a rope snare he was trying to set. Of course, Lassie saved the day, as usual. As silly as they were, I do love those old shows.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited November 2013

Yesterday did S'bam in the morning and then in the evening drove in horrible peak hour traffic to workout with our old Saturday instructor, just felt I needed a butt kicking and boy did I get it, did Body Pump and Body Combat with her, I hate to be a moaner and complainer but the newer instructors don't have "it" yet and I feel like I'm losing my Combat form, I was so tired when I got home I couldn't put a sentence together and today my arms are feeling like they've really worked so I got exactly what I had gone for Nerdy

Wow Mary, that is amazing he was probably out looking for some nice flowers to eat. Pat/Mary I have a question about your trackers. I am thinking about getting one but I'm unsure because I work with my hands, I'm either typing, labeling or stuffing envelopes and I can't wear a watch as it gets in the way and annoys the heck out of me, what do the wristbands feel like are they lightweight do you "feel" them, I just don't want to spend the money and then find it's annoying.

Claire / Ruth glad you're both feeling better. Annie the photos with your Dad are lovely. Blessings that picture is so true, I imagine if I went to Ruth's WOW I'd just meet them for the "after walk breakfast" cause I don't have the "right" outdoor clothing Winking Joy that jumpboard looks like it's hard work but fun. Wonderland have fun with your DS.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

I have lots and lots of extra cold-weather clothing, so you COULD borrow Loopy.......I did the high energy Zumba last night & the pretty mellow 'Good Grief, it is 6 am' Zumba this morning,  followed by that ab tape I started a couple days ago.

A friend of mine who's daughter is really into 'natural' says that a natural cold remedy is to eat a tsp of 'local raw honey' & 1/4 tsp of cinnamon twice a day for three days. Since I still don't feel 100%, I am going to try it (couldn't hurt). The only problem is that the only raw honey I could find in town comes from Colorado, so I hope that is 'local' enough!

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited November 2013

Cloudy, breezy and 40 degrees here, but I just walked for 45 minutes. Didn't measure my distance or pace, but it felt good to be moving again after the last surgery. Yay!!!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

I am reading the mail & I am SO bummed. My oncologist is moving to Texas, and my GP, whom I've gone to forever & whom I love, is retiring!!!!!!!!!! I need to crying face icon back!

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited November 2013

Oh, Ruth.Sad

That's so upsetting. I'm so sorry!

• AnnieLane
    edited November 2013

Well, it was in the fifties here in San Antonio today, but DH and the puppy girls and I were not to be deterred by the brutal cold. Nope, we braved it and went for our walk as usual.

Ruth, maybe your MO is moving to Texas for the weather? HappySeriously, sorry you're losing your docs.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2013

Ruth, sorry your doctors are moving/retiring. Breaking new ones in is hard work.....lol

Ran a couple miles on the treadmill tonight plus weights.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

Good for you, Annie, for bravely the frigid conditions (I would put a wink icon if they had one that wasn't stupid).

Well, my onc is originally from India, so he IS probably moving to Texas for the weather!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2013

I am finally feeling better and actually did a two-mile run at dusk. It was bitter out there in the rain and wind, so was all I could muster. Feeling much clearer in the head, which is a good thing as I am working on slides right now.

Ruth....changing your medical team is the pits. Sorry about that news. I had to do all that when I moved to Seattle, but I think it turned out to be a good thing. Certainly with my dentist.

I was using raw blackberry honey earlier this week. Lots of wonderful local honey here in WA state, and blackberry is my fave.....even when I am not sick.

I had a wonderful working lunch, so glad I have soup left for dinner. I am still working on that, but may freeze the remaining at this point. It will taste a LOT better a few weeks from now. - Claire

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,858
    edited November 2013

Cheryl: Glad you got the workout you wanted!

Oh no Ruth! I would want to cry!

Mary: Glad Lassie didn't scare the buck away. :)

I raked leaves for 70 minutes today.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited November 2013

Pat01 – it’s not easy to get in those 10,000 steps if you’re working, is it! I remember walking around inside my building – down one set of stairs, then up the other… even if I walked across campus I rarely made 10,000.

NatsFan – watching the deer outside my kitchen window was one of the things I loved the most about our mountain house. Unfortunately, we sold it last year. Actually, I think I was the only one who loved them. Most of the neighbors considered them to be big rodents.

hbcheryl – do you get to work out near the beach? We spend several weeks a year in Laguna Beach, and every morning, there’s a yoga class in the park outside our window, overlooking the waves. Ahhhhh…..

Ruthbru – hope you are feeling better. You could always follow your onc to Texas, I guess…

Dulcigirl – I am imagining you wearing those hot pink heels when you walk!

AnnieLane – good for you for braving that brutal weather!!!!

Odie16 – I got a manual treadmill a few months ago. I hate it – it’s too hard to use. But I didn’t want a big one or an expensive one. Now I have just one more place to hang my laundry. I should have gone with the electric one. Do you have a home treadmill or is it at a gym?

Claire – you are amazing! You really are the Workout Warrior. Does raw blackberry honey have blackberries in it, or is that just how the bees make the honey?

Wonderland – I did convince DH to go out and use the leaf blower on the trees. Sadly, they just hung on for dear life and will continue to fall off in their own good time.

. . . .

Well, I ended up with 12,896 steps last night. Today I worked out in the yard trimming shrubs and cutting back plants and generally making a mess for the gardener to pick up tomorrow. Then I went to Wally World (Walmart) and spent two hours doing Retail Aerobics. My cart was full, and I zoomed around the store several times just for the workout. It’s 8:30 p.m. and I have 13,506 steps so far. Will try to jiggle a few more in before bedtime….

(SillyHeartI just realized this emoticon reminds me of Miley Cyrus...)

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2013

Blessings....blackberry honey is perhaps the most common here. Possibly something to do with those hedgerows upon hedgerows of blackberries. Anyway, super delish.

I think I am done with breakthrough thinking for the day so off to bed. Another busy day in the AM. Got in my weights while heating the soup.

Hoping to catch up exercise-wise this weekend. Think I really am finally on the mend. - Claire