Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2013

Hit the stair master for the first time yesterday and back to the treadmill today. I feel so much better now that I'm up and about. The sitting around was making me batty.

I did check with my surgeon re: Lymphedema and I appreciate the heads up.  She said to exercise as I am able and that my risk is quite low (5%).  I do plan to avoid the hot tub for a few years to be cautious.  It's disappointing as I have a hot tub, Jacuzzi and a whirlpool that I love using in the winter.  Oh well.  This is the least of my troubles.  

I'm not even going to ask my surgeon about a mechanical bull yet for fear she'll have me locked in a padded cell.  

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545
    edited December 2013

Make it a big cell so we can all join you Happy.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,859
    edited December 2013

Joy: Enjoy the warmth!

Mary: Your day off sounds wonderful!

Blessings: So sorry about your pain.

Ruth: Wish I could have heard your concert!

Hello everybody! DH and I went back to visit with my dd for a couple of days. She is hoping to move out of her apartment if she can find someone to take over her lease because she wants to move to another apartment. So, dh and I went apartment hunting for her while she started her new job on Monday. 

Funny that you mention a mechanical bull, Cheryl. DD wanted to take us to a bar that has one so she could take pictures of us riding it. I vetoed that quickly!

Was able to walk/run while we were away visiting. (But no bull riding.)

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited December 2013

The mechanical bull sounds so Texan, and yet I've never ridden one. It's not even on my bucket list. 

DH & I walked the dogs today and I did some pushups and a series of planks to try to get to a total near 150 seconds but not sure if I did. Also got some exercise grocery shopping, hauling my bags in and doing some housework. 

Heading back to Dallas tomorrow for another weekend with my oldest daughter and her family. This will be our early Christmas celebration together. We will take each of our granddaughters out individually for a grandparent - granddaughter "date." They each get to choose somewhere they'd like to eat and to shop. They are 10, 15 and 17 years old and are so fun and each so different.

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited December 2013

my exercise is not that exciting, the same thing walking LOL.  I am 2 weeks post-op, still sore an a little pain here n there.  I walked 20 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the afternoon. i cant wait till I fully recover.  i want to try yoga.  

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited December 2013

Maybe we could get a big padded room with a mechanical bullSillyHeartSoriya good things come to she who waits Happy Annie I have 3 goddaughters who are all now young women but we still have special days together, they lead full lives but still want to have the connection from when they were little girls, they never forget the special time they spend with you.

Tonight did a spin class but no amount of pedaling could negate the calories I polished off today, cookies, candy, chocolate the Christmas spirit is in full swing.....

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited December 2013

Natsfan, that sounds like a lovely day off.  Cheryl it's treat season at my house too-- my SIL sent a box with three types of candy, a mini bread load, and homemade chex mix.  Those all had to be sampled, right?

Short walk, hooping, and weights.  

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited December 2013

AnnieLane - I know you have gray hair (and it's beautiful!) but you do NOT look old enough to have a 17 year old granddaughter!!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited December 2013

Joy - missed the post about the Mustang convertible - wow!  Perfect car to buzz around Florida this time of year!  So glad you're with family for the holidays.  Sori - walking is the best thing in the world you can do for yourself right now.  Annie - the granddaughter "dates" sound wonderful!  What great memories and connections you're forging. 

Holiday season is in full swing here at work - goodies everywhere you look!  Our media people did a video holiday card of all of us here at work - you'd all be proud of me - I did my greeting running on a treadmill!  If you watch it, dh is one of the first ones shown - he's in the bright red cast!  Happy Holidays From Montgomery County Recreation

Speaking of treadmills, did a 30 minute run last night, then Power90 Cardio this morning, plus 100 second plank.  Those last 10-15 seconds are still pretty ugly, so I'm going to hold it there for a few more days before trying to increase.  Can't believe it's Friday already . . .

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

Annie, when I was a young teacher the 'older' teacher next door did that with her four grandchildren; and many, many years later when she died (still teaching part time, helping people study for their GEDs), her then adult grandchildren talked so movingly of those childhood excursions with their grandmother. I remember one grandson confessed that she & he would go out in the country & she would let him DRIVE when he was too young to legally do so. So you are making life-long memories.

It is 13 BELOW right now. I am going to met a friend at the YMCA at 9:00 and try out another Fitness On Demand DVD.....then home to make Christmas cookies......I am already being so bad. I ate a whole zip locked bag of caramel corn and a box of chocolates yesterday (in my defense, it was a small box.....). Loopy

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited December 2013

DH & I walked the furkids and are hitting the road for Dallas now to see the grandkids. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

• sweetandspecial
    edited December 2013

ruthbru - I'm bad like that far too often.  Lately it's been grazing on holiday baked goods (I put most of them in the freezer so I wouldn't be tempted).  I also love, love, love caramel and since I discovered Kraft caramel baking bits in the baking aisle it's become a huge downfall!  Too easy to eat because there's no unwrapping needed. 

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited December 2013

Read yesterday that the average Brit is set to consume 7,000 calories on Christmas day.Singing

Freestyle step and body balance at the gym this morning.

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

Did the DVDs Bollywood (dancing), and Bikini Butts (because nothing says 'bikini' like a North Dakota winter Winking) & walked the track for half an hour. Now it's on to cookie making!

• Warrior_Woman
    edited December 2013

I have to say that I am resenting all the people who are sending me chocolate and cookies after my surgery.  If anyone asks, jewelry is always a safe bet!  Winking My new flat chest makes me look like a pear with my butt growing daily.  And so, another hour on the boooring stair master.  I cannot wait until I can start running and lifting again.  At least I'm up and about and feeling good.  

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited December 2013

Me too, Dulci - MY VISION OF A MECHANICAL BULL RIDE: sexy cowgirl with big cleavage and rhinestone cowboy hat, riding sensually while the crowd cheers me on..... MY REALITY: the bull barely begins to move before I'm tossed on the floor like a drunken old redneck, unconscious, in the most unflattering position... while the crowd uncomfortably looks the other way...

Happy early birthday, NatsFan! The old mansion sounds beautiful... I love old-fashioned afternoon teas! Will have to take a look at your holiday video...

Warrior_Woman - I waited a long time (over a year) after BMX and recon, but I am happily back in my Jacuzzi tub. No LE issues, thank goodness.

Wonderland - glad you had a good visit with DD - congrats on her new job!

AnnieLane - sweetandspecial is right... you look too young to have ANY grandchildren!!! Have a safe trip to Dallas.

hbcheryl and _Ann_ - holiday treats have no calories if you eat them standing up. Or so I was told.

sweetandspecial - freezing stuff does me absolutely no good. If I'm craving it, I'll dig it out of the freezer and just chew on it extra hard!!!

soriya123 - I am looking for a yoga class, too! Years ago, when I was young and flexible, I loved it. Now, we'll just have to see how it goes. Those who do it say it is wonderful for BC patients.

Oh, LilacBlue, didn't you get the memo? Holiday food consumed in a country other than your native one has no calories. Go for it!

ruth - I LOVE Bollywood! And wouldn't we all love it if you posted a Youtube video of you doing a Bollywood routine in a bikini?

~ ~ ~ 

Well, I get a temporary reprieve from walking - apparently my left pelvic bone is not moving at all when my body flexes. Not sure what's going on, but the PT said to take it easy and get the inflammation down. And my poor MO! She's been sick for a month (exacerbated asthma), but coming in to work anyway (mask and all) to see her sick patients. The nurse called to cancel our appt yesterday, and later the MO sent me an email from home apologizing! I replied with a big "MOM" type letter, telling her she needs to rest and get well. (I did ask for, and got, a referral to acupuncture.)

Luckily, the elderly East Indian doctor I used to see for acupuncture is no longer there. The first time I saw him, he hooked the needles up to electrodes and turned them up so high I twitched like a frog for two weeks. Then, he started leaving needles in me as he said goodbye and walked out of the room. I'm like, "Uh, did you want to take this out of my neck, our would you prefer I just leave it in until I see you again?" Sheesh. Learn to count! Anyway, it's a different doc, and a covered benefit.

Hope everyone is having a safe, healthy weekend!

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited December 2013

I'm reading............and very intimidated by the 'plank'.  I have LE so no plank for me.  I enjoy reading about all your successes though.

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

Marple, I am not doing the plank challenge....didn't work for me. Just do what you can.

Mary, cute idea with DH and his 'cast of characters'!

Blessings, I have to say that I am sitting here laughing at the thought of you twitching like a frog as you walk around with needles sticking out all over. I sure HOPE you new acupuncturist works out a little better!!!!

And no, you will not be seeing us on Youtube......in fact, we left the light off in the fitness room so we wouldn't even have to see ourselves!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited December 2013

Just watched this Melinda Irwin video which summarizes the latest thinking on exercise.  Lots of good stuff, especially for breast cancer patients.  Allow at least half an hour to view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOQDzHwmqAE

The most interesting new news for me was biomarkers.  But also that strength training is important for all of us.

I am headed out to cycle even if damp and rainy today.  I actually have this weekend off, and can feel the effects of not enough exercise over the past month.  Not my fault as worked long hours each weekend.  But need to get it all back on track and get rid of the sluggishness, not feeling on my game, and I don't look as buff on top as I should either.

Fortunately, it's all reversible.  Just need to get my hide out there.  And enjoy not having to spend countless hours editing endless pages of study findings. - Claire

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited December 2013

Got out for a chilly 20 mile ride today in the drizzle and then into a hot bath.  I wonder if it was Christmas shopping that kept the number of cyclists to a minimum?

More exercise as I plan to catch up a bit with my shopping on FOOT! - Claire

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

Did an hour on the treadmill & a bunch of pre-holiday running around......

• Blessings2011
    edited December 2013

Thought y'all could use a laugh...

http://www.wimp.com/roundchristmas/

• soriya123
    edited December 2013

Blessing2011, i'm not flexible so will see.  LOL my coworker told me the story about her n her mom.  They took yoga class together.  I guess they musta do a lot of bending n flexing, her mother accidentally fart. My coworker was trying so hard not to laugh at her mom.  That one thing that im worryring about  in yoga class cus chemo kinda messed me up with that too (chemo fart).  sorry i hope i didnt gross you ladies out.  :)

• soriya123
    edited December 2013

Only walked 30 mins today :)

• Warrior_Woman
    edited December 2013

I used to exercise everyday before my surgery and yesterday I was all set to go to the gym when I decided on a nap instead. I'm proud of myself. I needed the rest.  Too bad napping isn't an olympic sport.  

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited December 2013

Soryia, good walking and Warrior Woman, good self care and soon enough you will be back at it everyday. 

I'm baking a 4 layered chocolate cake for my son's 15th birthday tomorrow.  So Blessings, I may hit 7000 calories in one pop early.Winking

• Blessings2011
    edited December 2013

soriya123 - from what I remember from my early classes, yoga farts were pretty common. So was snoring, as folks got to the final relaxation stage.

LilacBlue - go for it! And stop counting... just enjoy!!!!

My big exercise for today: setting up my Jim Shore Nativity set. Hey, those styrofoam containers are hard to get out of the cardboard boxes!!! Great upper body workout!!!

Back and hip are better, still dealing with that nasty cold. Lack of oxygen makes everything harder.... o.k. - done whining!

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

ARGH......I have to make myself do some toning & I am not in the mood!!!!!

• sweetandspecial
    edited December 2013

I did an exercise class with my mom several years ago and she had the bend/flex fart thing going on too.....lol!!  Thanks for the memory Winking!

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

OK, got my Arms, Abs & Buns of Steel done. My schedule got off track today for the fun reason that my neighbor invited me over for coffee with her & her 25 year old daughter, who is home after teaching in Spain for the last two years. I have known this girl since before she was born (her mother was 'that crazy pregnant lady' in my exercise class who turned out to be living right behind me). We had so much fun visiting that when I looked at the clock FOUR hours had passed!