Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited January 2014

OMG, I can't believe a nearly 6km run only burns 314 calories.  That's simply not fair!!!  No way now am I wanting to know how few calories I burn on the treadmill. 

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2014

Overachiever!  A run later today as I don't cycle in 30 mph winds.

Interesting learning from my oncology visit yesterday (I am more than fine BTW!!).  I was talking about the latest exercise news....that we can now measure the physical benefits of moving.  However, she said that 98% of patients will opt for the pill as opposed to moving more.

Everyone LOVED my new eBay Robert Clergerie boots.  Haven't had such nice ones since my Paris days.  They also loved my new professional look.  So I am getting there.

I also got to chat with my surgeon.  She was thrilled to see how well I am doing, plus she will enjoy the wine I gave her.

I am looking for a new place in an hour or so.  One of my requirements is good hiking/cycling/running trails out my front door.  I am so psyched about making this move.  Especially during the drive back to my place in the rain last night.  Did my walk anyway.

I will let you know how my run goes.  I have more work to do as well, but I may sneak in a wine bar visit tonight.  Life needs "balance" and I can't do too much "goodness". - Claire

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2014

It is a gorgeous clear, sunny day here and I am off from work - Hooray! Put on my new running shoes and went to check out two different parks nearby to see if they are good prospects for walking/running/jogging. I did intervals in one and then drove to the other and did some more there. 

We go regularly to a third park which is much bigger and nicer and is a great place to walk the dogs, but on New Years Eve day, in broad daylight, a beautiful 24 yr old young woman was stabbed to death there by a complete stranger who has been arrested and charged with her murder. The guy has those freaky, drugged, Charles Manson eyes and has a long history of violent crime. He came here not long ago from California. We have friends who are friends of the victim's parents. We'll be going back to that park of course, but I'm just not ready to yet. Anyway, these other two parks are too close not to take advantage of.

Will go walk the dogs with DH in the neighborhood in just a little while.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2014

OMG AnnieLane, that is so awful, creepy & weird, I'm getting goosebumps a thousand miles away.  I'd think, holy chit, I was just there... that could've been me.  How random and how sad for the parents and your community.

It just got above freezing but the sun's out (for now) so will suit up and head out for a walk in a few.  ♥

• Marple
    edited January 2014

Oh Annie, how awful.  That's so terrible and scary.

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    edited January 2014

So the polar vortex did interrupt my exercising as I did not get to the store to find a Zumba DVD like I planned,nor have I joined a club yet.  But it is mild  today so I walked the dog and went to the grocery store both. 

Exercising doesn't seem to burn as many calories as we hope, but it is still doing wonderful things for your body. So keep it up and don't eat a pan of brownies afterward!

Annie,  that story is so sad and quite sobering.  It's a good reminder for all that its not always safe out there and to use good judgement.   

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2014

You know the murder of that lovely young woman (she was, by all accounts, an amazing young woman - a graduate student studying to become a physician's assistant, who had been on several overseas medical mission trips) reminds me that even though I am exercising and making other wise choices to try to reduce my risk of BC occurrence, any day I wake up could be my last on this earth, so I want to make the most of it. We just never know, do we?

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited January 2014

Annie - what a sad story.  A similar thing happened in the park where I run - it's a well used popular running, walking and biking trail, and there's never any crime along it at all.  No one ever gave a second thought to using it.  A few years ago a neighbor went out for a run along the trail one afternoon, and a mentally ill man came out of no where and attacked and killed her.  The community memorialized the spot with a small garden and a couple of benches along the trail where people can stop and rest and contemplate.  Local runners often hang their medals and other running awards in the trees surrounding the garden in her memory.  It took me a while to where I felt comfortable running along that trail again, and I always think of her when I pass that spot.  Last month, as I passed the spot, a beautiful great blue heron flew along the creek next to me for a bit - I almost felt like that was her spirit encouraging another runner.  

Cold, rainy, nasty day today, so I stayed inside and did 30 minutes on the ellliptical. 

• Marple
    edited January 2014

No, we never know!  Live each day and even if it's not the greatest day.......maybe tomorrow will be.  Nasty weather here too which is one of the reasons I wanted a treadmill.  I don't enjoy it but I LOVE it.  I love what it's doing for me because I use it.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

yup, sad reality of life.....important lesson to remember....make each day count for something. Today, I went grocery shopping with hubby and we walked up and down every aisle...woohoo.....but...it's a start back in the right direction, eh!!

• Marple
    edited January 2014

Every step counts.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2014

Annie how,sad,  it's true we never know.  Glad you are doing better Nihahi and Twohobbies if I had a workout DVD  I'd just watch it anyway and not workout to it  Loopy today I started dog sitting a one year old golden retriever, she's only been here for two hours and I've found out she's a counter surfer and a paper shredder and my guy is so jealous he's curled up in my lap laying claim to me  and she's just standing in front of me staring, I think she's telling me it's time for a walk, either that or open the door to the bedroom so I can bark at the cats Singing

This morning did Spin class.

• NatsFan
    edited January 2014

Cheryl - at least you're not pet sitting this counter surfing beagle: m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ym0rxisOpw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_ym0rxisOpw

• TwoHobbies
    edited January 2014

hbcheryl better get out and walk that dog and get some energy out of it!  We dogsat an energetic young german shepherd and boy he was a beautiful dog but hard to wear out and hard to take care of. Funny but my little 17 lb dog was still in charge although he got slapped by a wagging tail a few times.  Oh and don't forget to put the beef jerky in the cabinet!  

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited January 2014

Exercise today was just helping DS get back to college. LONG day and I'm sure you're all tired of my winter pics, but this was the state of our roads today. Solid ice. Very thankful when we finally got to pavement, and even more thankful when we got back home tonight. If anyone is interested in a Sculpted Sister Luge Team just grab your sled and come on over! 

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2014

Looks like Yaktrax time!

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited January 2014

60 minutes on the treadmill = 4 miles.  Ran about 1.25 miles of it. Then lower back and abs and stretching.

TwoHobbies - wish you hadn't mentioned brownies - now I've got a craving!

Marple - I'm totally with you on the whole 'What?  Whady'a mean all that misery and sweat only earned me 314 calories!  Are you kidding me?  WTF!' 

Annie - So, so sad about the young runner.  Too many wonderful people with great potential get their lives cut short while we spend millions of our tax dollars keeping their murderers alive in prison because 'a life for a life' is no longer considered fair punishment.

Claire - good thing you work out so much to stay energetic.  I think your busy life would kill me with exhaustion.

Cheryl - DH and I are dog-sitting our DS and girlfriend's dogs this weekend. One is a Chihuahua/rat terrier mix and the other is a Chihuahua/shitsu mix. The first is a neurotic psychopath with bipolar tendencies (my diagnosis) but with occasional bouts of affection and play mixed in when you least expect it.  The second is the sweetest natured thing you could ever hope to see.  The sweet natured one likes to pull the 'I'm on his lap so I own him' routine too.

• TwoHobbies
    edited January 2014

Sweetandspecial sorry about the mentioning of the "something".  I slipped and  I won't do it again.  The reason that came to mind is my teenage has a pan of said item and I made him put it out of my sight today.  Out of sight, out of mind.  Well it works sometimes.  So far...

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2014

Annie, what a sobering reminder/tragic story. 

Lisa Jayne and Marple, I agree completely on both subjects. 

For the record, I am certain that either Ruth or Claire's busy schedules would kill me...LOL

As Mary said, the weather here today was just nasty. While it was finally warmer, it poured rain off and on all day so my exercise today was stripping and flipping beds as well as scrubbing baseboards and bathrooms. 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545
    edited January 2014

Yikes, my internet (to which I am apparently addicted) was down all day.

Annie, what a sad, sad story. Things like that will never make any sense to me.

Nihahi, glad you are starting to feel better.

It was nice today, but freezing rain is predicted tonight...so many I will get my luge practicing in tomorrow too....sigh.

Bright and early this am, I picked up the cats from the vets. (Henry was so mad that they were afraid of him and made me take him out of the cage myself!) Anyway, now that they're home, the patients are resting comfortably, and will look great when and if they smile. ThumbsUp

The other 'busy' things I did today were go out to coffee with a friend, to lunch with DS (who picked up the tab!), and sit through two basketball games. I did sneak in an hour of spot toning with Denise Austin between the first two & last two activities.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

Just to entice anyone on the fence about California, here is quick pictorial review of our trips.......you'd love to have you in the 2014 picture!

October 2011....Minneapolis....."Who can turn the world on with her smile?" Cheryl, Ruth, Badger, and Patoo.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

July 2012.... Chicago is our kind of town......at a Greek restaurant with some of the Illinois thread ladies......Addey, Ruth, Cheryl, Corrine, Badger and Lago.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

July 2013....the Sculpted Sisterhood March on Washington! Natsfan, Odie, Cheryl, Wonderland, Patoo, Ruth & Badger.

• TwoHobbies
    edited January 2014

Looks like fun, Ladies.  I would love to go but I think this summer and maybe next I might need to run my son around to look at colleges.  He did say he wants to go somewhere warmer...  I just had a vision of my son sitting in the back seat of a convertible wedged between some sculpted sisters as we roar up hwy 1!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2014

Ruth, thanks for posting those, what good times we've had and will have!

The sun that enticed me out yesterday didn't last very long but I was all bundled up and walked my 2.5 mile route.  Will do same today.  Supposed to be nice, sunny and maybe up to 38 F wow LOL.  ♥

• Marple
    edited January 2014

I love the photos too.

Treadmill done!

• NatsFan
    edited January 2014

It's finally sunny out and 45 degrees - hooray!  4.5 mile run in the park - beautiful!

• TwoHobbies
    edited January 2014

Walked for 35 minutes in the balmy 35 degree weather.  I actually got so hot I had to take my coat off!  Then I chipped ice off the front sidewalk for 8 minutes.  It almost feels like spring after that horrible polar vortex thing.   

• InspiredbyDolce
    InspiredbyDolce Member Posts: 987
    edited January 2014

Hi Everyone - I logged on here to get some motivation to go get my workout done today. You are all so amazing, I feel like I'm barely keeping up with you all!  :)  I would like to take today off, but I have to take Mondays off, as the cleaning lady comes to the small gym and asphyxiates me with all the chemicals. She only does the 'big clean' on Mondays, so its just easier to take that day off than worry about going at 5:30 AM to avoid the cleaning lady.  So this leaves me with needing to go today.  I just finished the week with 8 hours and 57.7 miles.  At the end of the week my hubby picks out a sticker for me and sticks it on the day planner.  LOL  I'm a little girl at heart!

Someone mentioned the movie that they had watched, a very old one to resort to.  I just wanted to mention, that if you do not have this yet, you should get it.  It's a Roku.  We got ours on sale for $69 at Tarja' (Target).  If you are an Amazon Prime Member you already get free movies and shows through the Amazon app on there.  But beyond that, you are able to watch so much stuff for only $8 a month if you do Netflix on it.  You get a free 30-day trial from Netflix.  So many of our favorite shows we can now see beginning episodes of, and get caught up on things.  I think $8 is a fair price to be able to watch so much stuff.  I love it because sitcoms are only about 21 minutes each .  So very easy to get in a full viewing uninterrupted - as there are no commercials.  There are many apps you can load on to the Roku to get your shows from wherever you want - History Channel, CNN, etc. Those were some of the free ones!  We also got a MacTv, but they seem to be a bit restrictive on partnering with other app channels.

Have a great day everyone - keep up the great work!

• InspiredbyDolce
    InspiredbyDolce Member Posts: 987
    edited January 2014

PS - Love all the photos!  Makes this thread so enjoyable - and who would have thought a workout thread could be so enjoyable?  ;)