Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited January 2014

Happy Birthday Odie!!  Claire - the new place sounds beautiful! Nihahi - quite an impressive day!

Mikey's back from the vet - while he was under for the teeth cleaning, they removed a suspicious lump from his leg, so he's in one of those collars that makes him look like a satellite dish so he doesn't pick at the stitches.  They also had to remove a couple of teeth, so he's one hurting puppy now.  SadThey did give us some pain killers for a few days, so that should help.

30 minutes elliptical this morning. 

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited January 2014

Claire, the new place sounds wonderful!

Odie, Happy Odie Day!

Nihahi, Overachiever Award...Winking

Blessings, thinking about my favorite cheerleader. How are you? 

Annie, you shamed me with your 90 sec plank. My shoulder is starting to feel a bit better, but not up to that yet.

Yesterday was a Slug Day. Work then mommy chauffeur duties. Parked far away from everything so got a tiny bit of walking and said hello to my steps 10 times. Today biked 10 miles inside. 

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

ha.....you think too highly of me ladies!!! Chalk it up to cabin fever and boredom being out of my more normal routine. We're not talking high intensity stuff here!!!! It seems many of you are doing classes and stuff....sooooo not my thing. Loopy

I'm much more of an "active person" as opposed to an "exerciser"...but you are the ones that inspire me! 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545
    edited January 2014

Walked with the Wednesday ladies. The civic center where we walked was setting up for an Ag (agriculture) Expo. We are standing in front of a great big tractor which had this fun sign. I'll do Zumba tonight.

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2014

Chamber of Commerce weather again here today. Did walking/jogging intervals with & without dogs.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited January 2014

yesterday and today did all my weights and then ran 45 min on the treadmill at the health club.Hang in there joints.Loopy

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited January 2014

ruth - love that you take a picture nearly every week to post of your Wednesday ladies!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,859
    edited January 2014

Odie: Happy Birthday! Have fun on your special day.

Ruth: Wish I had that sign after my uni mx. People really tried not to stare but I guess it's human nature.

Nats: Give Mikey a soft hug for me (not too hard since he's hurting). Hope the lump turns out to be nothing.

Walked/ran at the park this afternoon before the rain begins.

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

some yoga, some pilates and then a 12k walk. It was a beautiful sunny day, but windy!!!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2014

Thank you guys for all the birthday wishes. Back to the hectic schedule today and missed my gym since I left early for a routine doctors visit. Did manage to come home and walk/ran for an hour on the treadmill.. 

Really admire how you ladies go to several classes per day. Happy hump daaay!!!!

• InspiredbyDolce
    InspiredbyDolce Member Posts: 987
    edited January 2014

I too admire how you ladies go to classes several times a day!  That is true, I too like to exercise to get in a little extra leeway with eating.  I do like food so it helps keep me sensible - more or less.  Tonight we have veggie quesadillas cooking.  Except mine is the one on Ezekel tortilla and no cheese. LOL Today I did 90 minutes - 11.15 miles on the EFX.  I was only going to do one hour but a lady I liked showed up at the gym. She is 75 years old, and an 8 year bc survivor, with only a lumpectomy - no radiation no chemo.  She went on some new drug for 5 years and that was it.  She said positive thinking is key! Odie, Happy Birthday!  Ruth, what an outstanding support system you have and a fun thing to look forward to each week!  I will check Groupon to see if they have a Zumba class or Yoga class.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545
    edited January 2014

I think some class and/or group exercise is really good for the morale. It makes you more accountable, and it is a lot more fun. Speaking of fun, I went to Zumba tonight. I am supposed to sub again to tomorrow, but we shall see..... we are under a blizzard watch.......I don't suppose they would cancel school but still have exercise classes going at the YMCA?

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2014

Skiing Ruth.....wonderful exercise.  Reading all the posts, but focusing on work as buried.  GOT ACCEPTED into my new place, so the move is on!!!  Haven't been this excited in years.

Got in my exercise too.  Was wondering where to store the weights/exercise ball in my new place. - Claire

Note: lots of good places to do walks/runs/cycling, including after dark for the first 2.

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

Started chemo yesterday and ran 5.5 miles with my dog today.  They want me to join some exercise program for chemo patients.  I feel like I'm being told I have to take remedial gym.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2014

To add to the group morale thing... Tonight I was running late and got to the gym right at 6pm in time for my Spin class, as I walked in the room it was like George walking into the bar on Cheers, everyone yelled out 'Cheryl' made me feel 'special'Loopy

Mary give Mikey a gentle hug from me, poor baby..

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2014

hi all, happy belated birthday odie and welcome back mum.  This thread is the BEST!

Warrior_Woman, hoping you are doing OK after your 1st chemo.  Remedial gym LOL!

Walked at work Mon, Tues was date night, and hit the indoor track last night.  Dental appt today so working from home.  Will do something later this afternoon.  The Voices will make me do it.  ♥

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited January 2014

Hi all!  No time to talk right now. Just posting that I did 3 miles on the treadmill, lower back and ab reps and stretching this morning.  Cya latah!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited January 2014

Slept in this morning - Satellite-Dish-Head Dog couldn't get comfy in bed and was moving around all night, so none of us got a good night's sleep. He usually snuggles under the covers with us, but the collar made that difficult, but that didn't stop him from trying.  

I brought my workout clothes to work and will hit the dreadmill tonight.  

Here's a picture of poor Mikey - between the scratch on the cornea, the tooth extractions and the lump removal, he's having a very bad week.  He's a very good boy and being quite good natured about it all.     

• badger
    edited January 2014

Ohhhh Mary, poor Mikey, he looks so beleaguered!  Take care of yourself; with your DH still recovering you are the only one at your house who's @ 100%.

(edited for spelling)

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited January 2014

I can empathize with Mikey on the tooth extraction.  I had one out this week too but at least I don't have to wear the cone of silence.  I managed a leisurely walk on the treadmill this morning.  It's a lot more than I've done since Monday. 

• Warrior_Woman
    edited January 2014

Badger - Thank you!

Two days out from chemo and my muscles feel so tight.  I hope to make it to the gym and at least do some stretching.  The real gym.  Not the remedial gym.  

• Warrior_Woman
    edited January 2014

NatsFan - If Mikey can make it through this so can we!  How cute!  I hope he is OK.

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited January 2014

Biked 12 miles inside.

63 days, 0 hours, 34 minutes til Spring.

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

yoga and pilates this morning....Have to drive to Great Falls to sort out an IRS/SSA glitch, so not sure how much "exercise" I'll be doing the next few days....but I'm sure my BP will get a workout Nerdy.

warrior......LOVE the remedial gym slogan.

dulcigirl....I'm joining you in that countdown!!!!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2014

Warrior woman.....I remember how my infusion/oncology team used to get pale when I described my workouts during chemo.  However, I was the exception.  I would have gone to the "remedial gym" just to kick the instructor's butt. - Claire

p.s.  Was accepted for the new place, so it's all set to go at the end of next month!!!  I am so stoked.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited January 2014

Warrior Woman, I helped to start a pink ribbon pilates class here and so far, none of the women would think of attending class during chemo ~ sigh .  I think you would be an excellent example to other women face to face, like you are here - an open mind is a good thing to have.  Oh Mikey!

Got to the gym for body balance and yoga.

• InspiredbyDolce
    edited January 2014

Hi all!  Haven't worked out yet, I have a writing project due.  I plan to get to the gym about 5 or 6.  I planned it for after the writing, that way I will know that I got my circulation going again after this long period of sitting. 

Warrior:  Sometimes the problems with recommended activities/supplements/etc is that people don't explain why or how it is helpful, and therefore it does make it seem like an order.  I bet the reason they mentioned the gym, is because chemo can dramatically affect the mood, cause depression, and really take a toll on the psyche.  But, with exercise you are releasing the endorphins and that will help to offset any mood altering effect of the chemo.  As well as obvious health benefits of remaining active, staying near patients who are pro-active, etc also has additional benefits.

Badger: What are you doing to do when you reach 5,000 miles?  What does that length represent? 

• InspiredbyDolce
    edited January 2014

Oh Mary, the photo of your dog is so sweet.  Poor thing - he does look very well-cared for though.  :)

• badger
    edited January 2014

InspiredbyDolce, when I reach 5,000 miles I will set a new goal, probably up it to 6,000.  I started with a goal of 500 miles based on that song by The Proclaimers, and have increased from there.  Started sloooowly, too, with very short walks while recovering from bmx then chemo.  My sig line is how I track it.

The sun is shining and the sky is a clear light blue but the wind is wicked and blowing around fresh snow.  The indoor track is open until 9 tonight so will keep working now and hit the track later.

Political alert - info and call to action for those who care about LE and access to services:

Per e-mail yesterday, from which I have liberally borrowed to share here, the Lymphedema Treatment Act was just introduced into the 113th Congress (bill number HR 3877) by lead sponsor, Rep. Reichert (R-WA), and co-leads Rep. Lance (R-NJ), Rep. Blumenauer (D-OR), and Rep. Braley (D-IA).

You can read a very moving press release http://reichert.house.gov/press-release/reichert-introduces-critical-legislation-improve-healthcare-lymphedema-patients that includes quotes from each of these members of Congress. This introduction brings us to a new starting line.

Now we need your help asking all members of Congress to support this bill!

Please take 5 minutes to send a letter to your Representative, asking him/her to cosponsor this bill, by using the submission form http://www.capwiz.com/lymphedematreatmentact/home/ on our website. A brief template letter is provided, but please make your letter even more effective by adding one personalized paragraph reflecting your own perspective and experiences.

Now it’s your turn to make a difference! Even if your Representative cosponsored the LTA in the 112th Congress, he or she must do so again because bills and cosponsors do not carry over from one Congress to the next.

I contacted my fed rep last year, it was easy and I did receive a reply.  Going to do it again this year.  Hope you will too.  Thanks in advance!  ♥

• Warrior_Woman
    edited January 2014

I am holding off on the remedial gym until I reach a point where the normal gym isn't making it for me.  I run half marathons, lift weights and do all sorts of activities.  I refuse to act like a sick person when I don't have to.  I may be eating my words later but for now I am keeping my life as normal as I can.  

Inspiredby - I agree.  I have exercised my entire life and when I've skipped a few days I start to feel terrible....and that is without cancer.  

LilacBlue - That's a shame about your class because it really is a good idea.  I wonder if the women are concerned about being identified with their cancer.  

Badger - The representatives do write back because they know it's votes.  I forget the formula but for every letter written they assume it represents the views of X number of people.  There is another formula for phone calls too.