Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,546
    edited January 2014

Hello, I am being lazy this morning & typing on my computer in bed!

I am posting before exercise (PBE) so that we will be at the top of the Active Topics and somebody from a different thread can find us Happy....

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited January 2014

Hugs to you and DH Natsfan.

• Marple
    edited January 2014

Smart thinkin' Ruth

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2014

Spin and a half a Bootcamp this morning, started to get a headache so I left and came home and had a cup of tea and a piece of chocolate Happy

Mary glad Mikey is feeling better and hope your DH gets some relief with the nerve block. For those of you who weren't here when Mary did her marathon, she sent us a link and we 'watched' her run on our computers, it was so exciting I was in my living room jumping up and down and cheering her on. Okay Marple  and Dulci, here is the other side of the cold coin, it's  so darned dry here my nose is bleeding Sad

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

3 mile pack walk with both my dogs...you know, the ones I like more than most people.  Winking

LilacBlue - I far prefer to run in the winter.  I don't get overheated and I cannot stop and dilly dally because I'll freeze.  

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2014

Cheryl, we know about dryness here too but it's from running the furnace all the time. In the winter, I keep a pan of water simmering on the stove to cut down on the static electricity (and yes, blowing red) but not much you can do about the Santa Ana winds.

A Yankee Clipper swept through here this morning and left 5-6 inches of snow in its wake.  Did a round of Shovel & Sculpt and will do again once the plow comes down my street and leaves a pile at the bottom of the driveway.

• Marple
    edited January 2014

Hahaha Badger.  Shovel & Sculpt.

• badger
    edited January 2014

LOL Marple, it's a time-honored tradition up here in the frozen white north, eh?  Winking

• Marple
    edited January 2014

Funny how it hasn't become a popular form of exercise though.Loopy  Simply a necessity. 

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    edited January 2014

I have not gotten as much exercise in this week as I would like to.  I had two doctor appointments after work this week and lots of "running" or running around preparing for a party, doing labs, trying to get first prescriptions of the year after insurance change. I expended a lot of energy pacing the floor and talking loudly on the phone to the insurance company! 

So now that all of that is all done, I'm going to get back to my exercise.   I had to go to the mall today  for a birthday present so I shopped first, strolling and window shopping.  I noticed two men doing the mall walking so I thought since I'm here, I'll do the same, so I walked an extra 45 minutes at a faster pace.  

Right now I am getting ready to try something called the 7 minute workout.  Its the high-intesity theory so I kind of dread it but the good part is it ends in 7 minutes!   

Badger's shovel and sculpt is one of my favorite exercises and it is snowing steady but I may save that for the morning. 

• badger
    edited January 2014

Tiny flakes of snow.

Tiny bubbles in the wine.

Both make me feel fine. 

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited January 2014

30 minutes 'Shovel & Sculpt' Smile

• Marple
    edited January 2014

Hehehe, I used to not mind shovelling at all.  But that was before lymphedema.  Now all I can manage is to push it off the deck if it's not heavy and wet.  Otherwise, I pay the price.  Hence the boring treadmill purchase.  Easy and convenient to use.

• InspiredbyDolce
    InspiredbyDolce Member Posts: 987
    edited January 2014

Shovel and sculpt counts!  There is a list on the internet that gives you the equivalent of things that aren't exercise that count as exercise.  I would bet that translates over just as well as a gym movement.

I just finished my weekly exercise.  I did 48 minutes today - 7 miles. Finished the week with 8 hours and 58 miles.  I workout tomorrow and then Monday off.  Yippee - I love Mondays.  LOL  :)

I bet that was awesome to watch Mary run.  How cool is it that there is a way to do so. 

For anyone who didn't get your exercise in today or not much this week, don't worry too much.  You are so consistent that a break now and then is probably very beneficial - your body does need time to heal, repair and recover. 

Have a great day everybody! 

• badger
    edited January 2014

Marple, I can shovel but not mow the lawn.  Makes my hands numb and fingers swell.  Actually am sad to see that chore go because I liked it.  Also because now I have to settle for DH's standard of when the lawn needs to be mowed (I would do every week, he does every two weeks, maybe).

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

Did 30 minutes on the treadmill & 45 of a toning DVD.....I was not at all in the mood & complained the whole way through (only the cats were home & they were not at all sympathetic!)

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

another day of walking along the trails in Great Falls. 10k total. One of the neat places we walked past was where the shortest river in the US (the Roe River) originates out of a warm spring that bubbles up out of the ground, then flow into the longest river in the US (the Missouri River)....nature does such cool things!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2014

Cheryl, hope the headache is better now. Of course, chocolate makes everything better. 

Walked/jogged on the treadmill today for an hour before doing some circuit exercises. Then because I am a gluten for punishment, I vacuumed the entire house. 

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2014

I went to the gym last night and did a whole body weight workout. 

Today, to mix things up a bit, I did some sprinting intervals when I went out for my sans-dog walk. That felt good.

Then of course DH and I walked two of the dogs. One of them is so anxiety prone that it's hard to get her out of the house sometimes. She is afraid of thunder, fireworks, woodpeckers and any loud squawking birds. Today a woodpecker hammered on the metal chimney top and Penny has been a nervous wreck ever since. We really need to get her some doggie Xanax.

Ruth, your poor friend!! How awful! I'm sure she's going to have a long, difficult recovery, but I hope it is uncomplicated.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited January 2014

Mary & InspiredbyDolce, last winter was horrible and Mary, you kept to your training schedule, even on the coldest, snow filled days - you were driven and incredible.  It was very cool to sit in my warm kitchen here in England and watch NatsFan run around Washington DC no less.  The Nike run number on Mary's front tripped different prompts planted along the race route.  So when you went to the Nike website and put in Mary's number, up she came as a dot moving along the race route along with all the famous monuments and buildings that she passed by.  I'm hoping this Nike women's night run I'm doing in May has the same set-up but I doubt it.  Hell, for the £28 fee it should and while I'm at it, let's toss in a pair of special edition running shoes like NatsFan got as well, oh and throw in that Tiffany & Co. charm too!   Warrior Woman, I'm a heat seeking missile so warm is my deal, much more than icy cold, wet winters that we have.  Nihahi, interesting history and reads as lovely in your corner of this planet.

Got up this sunny, clear morning and ran the same route as Monday yet in came in at 5.75 miles burning 486 calories rather than 5.91 and 500 calories that Monday clocked.  Started and ended at the same time/point...learning the lesson that technology is not perfect or is it me?  Nah...Winking

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2014

I am so busy, but did get out for a run yesterday.  Hoping to get in 20 miles or so of cycling later.  I feel so much better following a run and a long sleep.

I do have a weekend of "moving and sculpt" coming up in a month.  I remember one snowy winter when I lived north or NYC.  I lost weight between the shoveling and x-country skiing.  I looked fabulous as well.

We have Seahawks frenzy going on here in Seattle.  Their flag is on top of the Space Needle.  Everyone is wearing shirts.  Suspect the local pubs will be overflowing no matter who wins.

Right now, I wish I could go skiing.  I haven't checked the mountains.  I may try downhill at Crystal Mountain.  Promise to post the view from the top.  But that will be in a couple of weeks as have a Board Retreat next Sunday.

Back to figuring out what I need to do with the segmentation analysis reporting. - Claire

• Marple
    edited January 2014

DH did 'Shovel and Sculpt'.  Does that count at all in my favour?Winking

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited January 2014

Only if you were pushing him....or cracking the whip! Ha!

Biked 14 miles this morning. 

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited January 2014

25 minutes shovel & sculpt again today

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited January 2014

Welcome, Deb!

I'm working on my waist too. Grrr!!! 

I'd love to have a magic exercise if somebody has one, but what is working slowly for me is healthy eating, cycling, and going up and down my basement stairs a bunch. It's working, so I'm sticking with it!

• Marple
    edited January 2014

What has worked for me has been cutting back on portions (we usually eat fairly healthy), no snacking (my downfall) and walking.  I wish I had thought to measure my waist 25 odd pounds ago.  I DO know that things that haven't fit me since 2006 fit me now.Smile

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

5 days out from my first TC infusion and I actually feel pretty good today...better than the last few.  I ran 5.5 miles with my best friend.  

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    edited January 2014

Marple, let me know if that vicarious exercise works.  I'll just sit and watch crossfit videos all day!

Deb welcome and getting healthy is a process. I think where fat deposits is largely hormonal and genetic so work on your health and overall weight loss and that will reduce your waist too.

I walked 20 minutes and did 25 minutes of Shovel and Sculpt.  SweetandSpecial we must have the same length driveway!

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited January 2014

I think watching exercise videos helps as it can trigger hot flashes for me.

Ran/walked 4K along San Francisco Bay (virtually) and did half an hour of weights.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

I was going to do a little pilates, but after reading Lilacs post, I pulled out an old FIRM tape instead (because it is harder), Complete Aerobics and Weight Training. It is a oldie but goodie with hand weights, a weighted bar, & the dreaded 'fanny lifter' all as part of the torture....errr, I mean exercise. Loopy

Welcome Deb! I have kept a pretty slim waist even with menopause, chemo, Arimidex etc. etc. but you really do have to do ab & core work (of course, sigh!).