Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Sign the Petition Against the new Mammography Guidelines

Options

Comments

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2009
    Options

Diagnosed at age 45. No Lump felt. Went in for my Annual mammo! 

• Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited November 2009
    Options

Lisa B...Diagnosed with IDC at age 46. I found lump on SBE 4 months after routine mammo (nothing seen on mammo). No family history, no risk factors for BC other than being female and getting older. Mammograms in years past showed calcifications...bioipsied as benign. Even though my mammo didn't find my BC I feel the previous ones raised my awareness to check my breasts regularly. My mantra to my family and friends since my diagnosis and treatment is "know your body". If you know what is normal for you you will be able to distinguish what is abnormal.  

I am appalled at the new recommendations.

• Fitztwins
    Fitztwins Member Posts: 144
    edited November 2009
    Options

Janis Fitzgerald

Diagnosed right after my 40th birthday. Stage IIIc.

My mother

Mary Zimelis

Diagnosed age 49.

• chrisct
    chrisct Member Posts: 310
    edited November 2009
    Options

Dx age 42.  Non-palpable 1.5 cm tumor in my small, < B cup, breast.  Grades I, II, and III of III- given an overall grade of 2.  0/3 lymph nodes, but foci suspicious for lymphovascular invasion were present.  Perhaps the tumor would have been smaller, low grade, with no suspicion of lymphovascular invasion if I had had mammograms at ages 40 and 41 as I should have.

Grandmothers had breast cancer at ages ~70 and 81 - I was 42. 

• michele37
    michele37 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2009
    Options

Diagnosed at age 47

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited November 2009
    Options

My mom - Rosella, now age 96.  DX at age 49, radical bi lateral mastectomy. 

• michele37
    michele37 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2009
    Options

maybe i should add no family history and brac negative and diagnosed at age 47

• TXBadboob
    TXBadboob Member Posts: 109
    edited November 2009
    Options

Dena Engel, diagnosed at age 45.  Found lump, sent for mammo and u/s.  Then biopsied and port put in for chemo (6 mos).  Tested pos for BRCA2 gene.  BMX this year with recon.

This is a set up for the govt forced health care reform to avoid having to pay for preventative procedures to make the numbers look better.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.  If it was a good plan, they would be willing to be on it themselves, but they won't!

All of the hard work so many have gone through to fight against cancer, and it's set back in one day!  Shame on them!!Yell

Deen

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited November 2009
    Options

Sheila Swallows dx age 46, no physical symptoms (lumps or pain) found on mammo only.

signing for friend who died yesterday - Terry Wright dx age 39 fought hard for 8 yrs.

• amythol
    amythol Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    Options

Diagnosed at age 41 based on routine mammogram. My sister was diagnosed one year later at age 42. We have both had double mastectomy surgery. Today, two years after my mastectomy,I go back to my surgical oncologist for further testing on a new lump near my lymph nodes. Removing your breasts sometimes isn't enough to stifle the fear, the disease, the killer known as breast cancer.

• Britt
    Britt Member Posts: 81
    edited November 2009
    Options

Maria Renna.  Diagnosed at age 51 via digital mammogram.  NO family history. Had palpable lump which I found during BSE.  However, if this new "guideline" had been in effect, I would not have been eligible for mammo until age 52!  I am also signing this on behalf of all BC sisters who were dx in their 20s, 30s, and 40s.  This is unconscionable! 

• Lisa1964
    Lisa1964 Member Posts: 760
    edited November 2009
    Options

I was dx'd at 44.  Mom died of BC at 65.  I had to demand a biopsy, my surgeon wanted to wait another 6 months.  Glad I was my own health advocate.

I am appalled and personally offended by these new so called "guidelines".  I am also going to burn Susan Love's book in my fireplece today.

Lisa R. Long.  Port St. Lucie, FL

• Boscoe
    Boscoe Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2009
    Options

Diagnosed at 40 with extensive high grade/nectrotic/hormone negative DCIS-by a quote "unnecessary" biopsy.

• ssyoung
    ssyoung Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2009
    Options

Sandy Young diagnosed at age 49 with an MRI following a mammogram.  Family history but BRAC negative.  I'm signing this on behalf of my daughter, age 18.  She needs mammos early, not at age 50!!!

• nwood450
    nwood450 Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2009
    Options

Nancy Wood - diagnosed at age 48 via mammogram. Never felt the lump.  Mammogram saved my life!

• VirginiaMom2007
    VirginiaMom2007 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    Options

Eileen M.--Dx at age 46 Found on mammogram. Mulitfocal stage I ( 1.2 cm, 0.5 cm), Grade 2, 0/1 nodes

No risk factors, no family history, not found with BSE

Without routine mammogram screening, there's no way we found have found these before they metastasized.

I firmly belive that I'm alive and my young girls have a mother because I did routine mammogram screening in my fourties. 

• Odalys
    Odalys Member Posts: 929
    edited November 2009
    Options

I gladly add my signature to the list.

I am outraged by the new guidelines.  An early mammogram saved my life.  I have no family history!!!  I was diagnosed at age 42 with stage 3.  I don't think I would be around to celebrate my 50th birthday if it weren't for a routine mammogram.  It's because of early detection and treatment that I am now 4 years cancer free!!!  I am sick to my stomach thinking this panel of researchers feel 3% of lives are not significant enough.  I am sure my 11 year old son, husband, and family would disagree with them too. 

I say...there is no such thing as "over-treating" this beast/enemy.  It's like going to war wondering if you are taking too much ammunition with you.  This enemy will kill you! 

• Bugs
    Bugs Member Posts: 21
    edited November 2009
    Options

Cindy B dx age 42.  Found lump doing BSE.  You know..those "worthless" exams.

• LoriR
    LoriR Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2009
    Options

DX at 42 via mammogram

• pclarky
    pclarky Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2009
    Options

Though my diagnosis came after age 50, I know MANY women - some who have left us - diagnosed under 40, let alone 50.  This is unfathomable to me, and very frightening.

Pam Yeager, age 55 at diagnosis.

• ADK
    ADK Member Posts: 752
    edited November 2009
    Options

Anne K Dx at 49 No family history

• BoobsinaBox
    BoobsinaBox Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2009
    Options

Diagnosed with a very small Grade 3 tumor at age 59.  That would have been my off-year under these guidelines, and by the next year, it might well have been too late.  Whose wives, mothers, daughters, aunts, grandmothers, and nieces are these people willing to let die for NO GOOD REASON?  And WHY?

Dawn 

• inthemoment
    inthemoment Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2009
    Options

Geri G. Diagnosed at age 60 when I found a lump during BSE.  Negative mammogram, negative ultrasound, negative MRI - advocated for a surgical excisional biopsy (sometimes you just know!) and had 1.7cm, node-negative, grade 3, stage 1, Her2Neu pos. IDC.  These guidelines say self breast exam should not be taught and does not save lives....after mastectomy, six months of chemo and in the middle of a year of Herceptin, I beg to differ! I just celebrated my 61st birthday and plan on many more thanks to SBE.

Geri

• saltykm
    saltykm Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2009
    Options

Dx.at age 51, no palpable lump,found on mammo

• wabiwoman
    wabiwoman Member Posts: 151
    edited November 2009
    Options

Geena Thomas, Providence, RI, first diagnosed age 43 due to a mammogram followed by breast sparing surgery and radiation.  Diagnosed again, age 45, due to a mammogram, followed by breast sparing surgery (the other breast).  Diganosed a third time, age 46, due to a mammogram which finally resulted in bilateral mastectomy.

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011
    Options

Heidi F.- TNBC 1.2 cm lump found by self-exam, confirmed by digital mammo followed by ultrsound and core biopsy

55 yo Caucasian Dx 8/09 IDC NOS (originally diagnosed as Medullary Carcinoma), lumpectomy w/>2cm clear margins, no vascular invasion, 0 nodes X2, 2.2cm (T2),
    Grade III, Stage IIa TNBC, TC x4, followed by rad... begun 10/5/09

• txstardust
    txstardust Member Posts: 180
    edited November 2009
    Options

Shelby Brothers, age 36...lump found by BSE 

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 338
    edited November 2009
    Options

The new guidelines make me sick!!  I have had regular annual mams some of which led to fibroidadenomas removed from my breasts, and identifying micro calcifications that I am being watch for now in my other remaining breast.  Is Washington taking away our breast health options?  Are we going to have to fight for more women's issues.  How far back are we going to go now?

• yellowfarmhouse
    yellowfarmhouse Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2009
    Options

HI all,

I wish that I had a baseline at 35-- could have avoided all this crap!!!!!! DX at 40 , found lumps myself!!!

Wendy

• marlenet
    marlenet Member Posts: 114
    edited November 2009
    Options

Age 44 when dx.  mammogram found my cancer!   Greatgrand mother Had B.C.  No other family history.  They called mine a cancer of chance.