Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

August 2010...anyone starting chemo besides me?!

Comments

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

These weird TAXOL pains are a big, big pain in the everywhere!   My knees are hurting lots this evening. I hope this lets up tomorrow. I could use a rest from it. I suppose we are all just tired of this, I am for sure. I am grateful we have something to help us  but still I am weary.  

Husband leaves on Sunday for the week. Not good. 

Showers wear me out too, just knocck me right down. I try to use very little hot water and that helps some. 

Night my dear friends. 

Ginger

• ckptry
    ckptry Member Posts: 333

katherinenaomi, I second Texas, you look about 17, and beautiful. I'm zoned out form the chemo (still up at 3:30 - steroids I guess) but will watch your speech when I am more lucid. Congrtaulations, that was very brave.

zachsmom I wore my wig a few  days in a row since it's been cooler here. I usually where hats. Anyway I took a shower after i got home from chemo and picked up a hairbrush and brought it up to my head before I remebered I was bald. I guess wearing the wig for a few days threw me off.  In the scheme of things alot of times I'm ok without the hair, although I don't like that people see cancer instead of me. Tonight I just felt a pang myslef when there was nothing to brush- I used to have really nice hair too. Ditto to the tears too, and it's different crying; within seconds my eyes are leaking and tears are dripping off my chin over something seemingly minor; the way I usually cry only when I was really upset over something. Honestly I think I'm there's just so much to worry about right now that any little straw upsets the whole cart (think I'm mixing metaphors - lets not forget my IQ seems to drop as easily as my blood counts -  too bad there isn't a shot for that!

If i remember correctly you've got a little one and are going through a divorce, and working, so you must really be stretched thin. I have 9 more taxols ( and  a million herceptin). Unfortunately I think we just have to keep our eye on the prize b/c there's not easy way out here. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Carolyn

• I finally slept last night, thanks to my two younger kids!  They insisted on rubbing my back, neck, head, etc.  My six year old went crazy with it - he said "I want to put you to sleep!"  So I lay in bed while he did this whole ritual - sometimes I was laughing hysterically because being a six year old boy, he'd start to rub frantically really fast - it was so funny!  He was so cute- I would tell him it was time for him to go back to his own bed now and he said 'But I want to do something to help you!"  I think it was good for him  - made him feel less helpless.  He's been very clingy to my side the past few weeks and has been constantly sucking his thumb (he was getting better about this.)  I think it is wearing on my kids.........just want to be done....

But my coctail last night was 2 benadryl, an ativan and two tylenol and I was out like a light for 8 hours!  I woke up twice to pee but immediately fell back asleep. I feel like I can "handle" stuff now.

The stabbing pains are still there but they did not keep me up and they are not as bothersome this morning. Now my hips hurt.  But it's much better than it was, so Ginger, I hope and pray that today is your turnaround day and that it starts to get better than those first few days.  They are rough!  

• Hair:  Mine never fell out all the way so I can't tell if it's coming back. It IS still falling out here and there though, which is weird.  I have very thin 12" strands sticking up all over my head.  I have a question - if you still have hair, do those hairs which are still there begin to grow longer and longer?  Or are they sort of dead and will they fall out as the new ones grow in?  I still have eyebrows (getting thinner - but I let them get thick before my treatment!) and I have short very blonde eyelashes still.   My plastic surgeon asked me if I'd be interested in being in a free clinical trial for Latisse - the stuff that makes your lashes grow like crazy - if she could arrange it.  No promises but she said she would try-she's trying to get a trial going for post chemo patients.

I don't know - the side effects of Latisse on TV sound a little scary - darkening of the eyelid, etc.  But it might be fun= I'll have to see if it works out.  

The pellet stove next to me is roaring with a fire - I find myself embracing the coming of the cold weather this year because it signals the end of the nightmare summer that was 2010......I can't believe it's almost November.  We're almost there!!   Is anyone planning some kind of "party" once this is over with?  I'm sort of afraid to right now, but it seems like some kind of end of chemo celebration should be in order sometime for the new year. 

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413

Calamtykel-- I'm using the lash and brow conditioner recommended somewhere else (of course I can't remember where)  (c: on this site.  So far I haven't lost my brows or lashes.  Could be luck or it worked, I don't know.  This is the link.

http://www.brianjosephs.com/html/chemotherapy_products.html

Glad you've turned the corner.

• KatherineNaomi
    KatherineNaomi Member Posts: 49

Lol! I know I look really young. I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse :) I just got a great wig this week and it's so nice to have the option of hair! I had initially gotten a curly wig more similar to my own hair but it looked like a clown wig. I sent it back and got a straight human hair wig with side swept bangs and I love it! It was only $67.95 too!

Calamtykel - I just stumbled across a great book yesterday for kids whose Mom's have cancer. It's called You Are the Best Medicine. It has nice thoughts like "When I tell you I have cancer, I will be sad. I will be sad because I am sick, but I will be happy because it is not a sickness that you can catch from me, and so you can still kiss me and hug me and love me."  And "For a while I will have to take medicine that makes me feel bad, and this medicine will make all my hair fall out. I will look different. But I will laugh when I remember your own sweet little baby head, how round and bald it was, and how warm it was on my lips when I kissed it every day."

• wherria
    wherria Member Posts: 194

Kate: I just watched your video on YouTube, and it was wonderful!  Good for you for doing that, for bringing your strong determination for survival and your positive outlook to your larger community.  I'm proud of you, woman!

Lizzy: I have been post-menopausal for six years now, so I don't have pain association with a cycle, but I can tell you that a few weeks ago, I was having pain in the ovarian area on my right side, where I have in the past had ovarian cysts.  Fortunately, I was scheduled that same week for my yearly pap test, and my gyne did an ultrasound because she said upon examination my uterus was very deviated to the left side.  She said that would usually be caused by a tumor or possibly a cysts. Actually, I had to come back a few days later for the ultrasound, which was a little nerve-wracking, but in the end, it was nothing bad.  She said she didn't see any signs of a tumor, and not even a cysts.  What she saw instead was a lot of inflammation spread throughout the whole area, bowels, etc.  No blockages or anything, just inflammation.  She said she was sure it was the chemo causing the inflammation, thereby causing the pain.  She said it was not unusual and would resolve on its own once chemo was over.  May not apply to your situation, but, on the other hand, it may.  I would strongly encourage you to see your gyne, not just your onc, about it so s/he can do an ultrasound and hopefully put the issue to rest.

Zachsmom: I'm glad to hear you started on Effexor.  I just wanted to let you know, though, that Effexor (based on many experiences with it) does not necessarily act quickly.  It may take a few weeks and a few dose increases before you feel the full effects.  I've been on Effexor before several times for my Bipolar Disorder, and it has been a good drug for me, very few side effects.  But you doc, no doubt, started you on a low dose because it has to be titrated up somewhat slowly, and you may very well need more than just a low dose to bring you real relief.  I don't know if part of the reason for choosing Effexor was to help deal with nightsweats, which it does very effectively, but especially for nightsweats, you may need a larger dose.  I am now on 300mg, and yes, it has helped my mood and energy level (Effexor has a stimulant effect), it is just now at this dose really making a difference with hot flashes and nightsweats.  So be patient, but know that you are on the right track! Just my two cents.

Calamty: Have you tried the cucumbers in your water yet?

Found out yesterday that I have a virus (or maybe I told y'all this already), and my pain and nausea are off the charts.  Plus, the taxotere tends to give me diarrhea, but with all the anti-emetics I'm having to take, I'm swinging back toward the constipated side. UUUGGGHHHH! And my husband, who you may remember, has been on a very long commercial shoot in Indianapolis (I'm in Chicago) for three weeks now was planning on coming home this weekend, but now he can't.  There is a bad cold floating around the whole crew.  He says, it seems like three out of four people around him seem to have it, and while he is very vigilant about using hand sanitizer and other precautions, it's just not worth the risk of his coming home and giving it to me.  Oddly enough, the commercial he is working on (he's and Art Director and Set Designer), is for a huge hospital system in Indiana, and they're using actual medical personnel instead of actors, so he's sought the advice of docs and oncs who have unanimously said, don't go home.  Heavy sigh.  My house is out of control, and my dog, Marlow, who is still heavily grieving the loss of our other dog, Bixby, is not getting the attention or exercise from me that I am usually able to give him.  I was so looking forward to having Brian (or Bubba, as we call each other -- being from Oklahoma and all) around to help pick up some of the slack for a few days.  Alas, no such luck.  And of course my best friend is still in the hospital, so I don't really have much in the way of help.  Also my therapist, whom I see twice weekly, left town last week for a conference until next Friday.  So I'm pretty bummed.  I'm considering getting some in-house help, at least for cleaning, because a good friend of ours is visiting next weekend, and though I know he would understand the house being in such disarray, it would horrify me to have any guest right now.  My hesitation is that there is just so much clutter, and so much that needs to be done, I don't know if someone from the outside would be able to do it.  Don't they usually just come in to do the more superficial stuff like cleaning bathrooms and dusting and doing floors?  I'd welcome any advice.  I just wish we had more friends close by.  We don't have children, so we don't have that automatic circle of friends that comes with kids, and while we have a lot of friends, and very dear friends, they are spread out across the country.  No family in the area.  Suggestions?

On a positive note, my immediate family lives in Texas now, and have become huge Texas Rangers fans.  My dad is 77, not in very good health, but still very clear-headed and as funny as the day is long, and just a wonderful, cheerful, makes-everybody-happy kind of guy.  He used to play ball when he was younger, and his first career was as a high school teacher and baseball coach.  But he's never been to a World Series game.  When he was a boy, he and his brothers and sisters would help his Papa in the cotton fields after school, and then Papa would practice baseball with my dad (none of the other brothers were interested).  It was a very special bonding experience for them.  Papa taught him how to hit, field, how to through a curve ball.  Dad was a great pitcher. And every evening, as they were finishing up, Papa would put his arm around my dad's shoulder and say, "If the Cardinals ever make it to the world series, we'll be there!'  I don't know why the Cardinals were his team, and I don't know how he ever thought he could afford it, because he was basically a sharecropper/farmer, but it was his mantra.  Anyway, the night before last, my sister and I while she was driving around at work and I was on my computer at home, bought World Series tickets for San Francisco at Texas Rangers, for her, my brother-in-law, my niece, and my dad.  It will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for him.  I wish I could go, but obviously can't.  But I am thrilled beyond words for my dad.  When my sis stopped by his and my mom's house that night to tell him, at first he was completely speechless.  Leslie said, "Now Dad, there not the best seats. They're pretty high, but they have a good view of first base."  My Dad said, "Les, I would take a phone book and sit on a flagpole to watch this game!" Then he got very tearful as he told her stories about him and Papa playing baseball on the farm as a boy.  I'm crying now just thinking about it.  My sis was nervous about spending so much money, but I told her I would split it, and I said, in a few months you'll forget about the money, but you'll remember this game and how much it meant to Dad for the rest of your life. Just thought I'd bring a happy, though poignant story to our thread.

Hugs to all.

Whitney 

• wherria

Just wanted to second KatherineNaomi's book recommendation for all you moms out there.  I read about the book You're the Best Medicine yesterday, and had intended also to pass it along.  It looks fantastic. I wrote down where you could order it from, but can't seem to find my note right now.  I'll keep looking, but I bet it's not hard to find.

• onward
    onward Member Posts: 229

Hi Ladies, I am visiting from the "Started Chemo in September" thread. But since you ladies are farther along, I have a question. I am having my last A/C on wednesday and will then begin 12 weeks of taxol. One each week. My question is how are you taxol ladies doing. The accumalitive effects of the A/C have left me pretty fatigued and am starting to be concerned about the every week chemo. Thanks and good luck to all of you. Onward

• wherria

Also, I thought Kate's idea of posting a picture was a great one.  I think we should all do it!  (If comfortable of course).

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

But I don't know how.  Kate, can you tell us? 

• KatherineNaomi

You just need to host your photo on a photo sharing site like Flickr or Photobucket. Then you can post the image code in the thread. I can talk you through it via PM if you need help :)

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218

I wanted to ask your thoughts again about the future - my old life gave rise to the cancer. Undoubtedly it was a combination of exposures and my own bodies inability to recognize and destroy the cancer cells and I feel nervous about ‘going back' to my old routine. I don't know how to ask this exactly - I feel like BC should have caused a shift in my spiritual realm or made me shift or given me perspective or something but I am still working from the same approaches that I had before. I still turn to science for answers. I feel like a shift is needed but don't know how that works. Does that make any sense? Have you all felt a change in your lives, spiritually? Thx

• Onward  I had my first two taxols.  I would say the most important thing is that it is different for each person.  I've had a lot of stabbing, shooting leg pains.  The upside is that there is no nausea --so you don't need those extra meds.  Since you are having X12, it would probably be different from me (I'm having every 2 weeks X4).  X12 is less toxic so possibly lesser side effects.  My oncologlist told me that, and that they are both equally as effective--so the reason your onc probably chose that route is to lessen your SE's.

Today is Saturday - I had taxol Monday.  Today is the first day I feel better and last night was the first night I slept - on the X4, they super dose you with steroids so they last in your system.

I think it's like AC though - everyone's experience is different.  

wher - I never tried the cucumber because I never got to the grocery store this week.  :)  The bad taste seems to be gone from my mouth now and I can tolerate water again. I have to go to the store this morning so I will pick up some cucumbers.  I remember my  midwife recommending that when I was pregant too.

Kids the cancer center gave me a booklet called "chemo shark" for the kids.  It was great - it helped my kids alot.  There is also one called "When mom had cancer".  One thing that struck me yesterday - he was rubbing my shoulders and he suddenly froze and said in  a panicked voice "what's that lump???"  I told him it was just my shoulder blade.  He  asked what a shoulder blade is and I told him we'd look at the pictures in the science book and I'd show him - that we have lumpy bones all over our bodies.  It's so hard to keep their fears at bay when you can barely manage your own at times!

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796

Good morning, girls...we all seem in a little better spirits today ;)

Omaz: I know what you mean but I can't quite put it into words.  I am not sure about having a shift but I do think I have to focus more on what is important.  For instance, I really feel bad for the elderly and the way they are mistreated between nursing home abuse and "conservators" that are appointed to force them into compliance with giving up assets and being forced into nursing homes.  So there I was at chemo the other day and an elderly woman, on her 2nd battle, was telling me she was appointed a conservator that sold her house and took money from her while she was hospitalized with bc.  She was of sound mind and did not need anyone making her decisions.  She was trying to get $5K back from him he had taken while she was sick.  On the side, I do help people like her but I just decided, that at this time, the best choice for me is to choose my battles.  I had to literally stop myself from getting involved because I really have a battle of my own right now that requires all of my attention.  I don't think you have to be concerned with making changes now as you are in the middle of this but I do think, when all is said and done, this battle that has robbed us all of health, hair, memory, sleep, months, and countless other things will undoubtedly affect the way we do things in the future.  I think instead of feeling concerned now that in the middle of the battle you are not changing your approaches be more focused on the end result.   This entire process undoubtedly will change us all and I don't mean not being able to remember where the car keys  are but I mean on a fundamental basis and we will carry that forward. I don't think it will be bad either!  

• omaz
    Thanks Lizzy.
  • 1WonderWoman

Hair: mine never fell totally out either but I buzzed it short.  Calamtykel- I have longer pieces and shorter ones and, if it all never falls out, the longer will just keep growing again.  We might not ever get our brand new fur!  

KatherineNaomi: why does that pic scream of "Breakfast Club?"  I am getting a Molly Ringwald vibe?!  Great photo.  You definitely look like a teenager!

Zachsmom: I understand how you feel.  I am not all about balding it and I do wear a wig when I do go out but because I am not working, I am not confronted with the day-to-day reactions of everyone seeing me.  The reason I don't go bald is the impromptu pity-parties sponsored by passersby!  I can stand that less than the wig.  I am not so attached to my hair and I don't know why.  I know it is going to take probably 2 years to get it back to where it was but when I am confronted with the enormity of bc and all of it's carnage, I just don't give a crap about anything else.  As we live in an ultra, aesthetically-sensitive and focused atmosphere (abysmal!), we are all justified in our feelings of losing our appearances which stems, at least in part, from societal pressures of what we all "should" look like.  It is a challenge and it is affecting us all differently and whatever you are feeling, it is your's and justified in every way by this entire experience. 

• sptmm62
    sptmm62 Member Posts: 527

Wherria- As I have said before I am not one to cry, but as I write this I am sitting here with tears running down my face.  That story was so amazing!! You are right, the money is nothing...the happiness it will bring your dad, and the memory you will all have of making his dream come true, will last forever.  I am so sorry, however, that you cannot go.  Make sure they take plenty of pictures!  What a great thing for you guys to do!

On Hair: I never lost all mine either. I am mainly bald, can see my scalp all over, but I have a light covering of hair all around.  Going to let the kids do the buzz cut this weekend.  I just wanted to be able to say I made it through chemo without losing all my hair.  Now that it is starting to grow back in we will shave it off and start from scratch. 

Calam:  Glad you got some sleep and you are feeling better.  Those little ones are great aren't they.  Remember though, they are very resilient and will come through this whole thing great.  My youngest (13) got very clingy as I went through chemo, but I think that was just his way of dealing.  Now, I can see that he has less of a worried look on his face.  You know what I have noticed, is that my kids seem to appreciate me more, seem to say thank you more when I take them somewhere or even just make a big dinner....unintended good side effect! 

• lisasinglem
    lisasinglem Member Posts: 239

Omaz - I've been thinking about that topic a lot lately, and my firm belief is that we don't ever have to force or "decide" these things.  I believe that changes are happening and if I continue to listen to my intuition, they will come to the surface.  I've noticed some changes in my attitude towards myself and my life, althought I haven't made any significant outward changes.  It is possible that the changes that need to be made are internal rather than external.  But, I have to really listen and spend time in quiet meditation for them to come to fruition.

Hope that makes sense and isn't too "woo woo".

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895

Wherria- that is AWESOME! i've taken my kids to spring training games- but that is NOTHING compared to the world freakin series!!!!

Kathrine- Just watched your video as well YOU ARE A SURVIVOR!, i guess even the drs thought you are young- I bet everyone is shocked when you say you have 4 kids, i know i dont look as young as you and people often think my kids arent mine- i am gonna order that book and look for the ones that calamity mentioned...

• KatherineNaomi

Thanks Timothea! And you can get a printable copy of Kemo (chemo) Shark online here.

• omaz
    Lisa - no too woo woo at all.  I am trying to learn how to 'listen'.  It is challenging but I think I can do it.  Thanks for your thoughts.
  • Shift of focus:  I think there's no way you can go through something like this without it causing a major change in your focus.  It may be different for each person - for some it may knock them down and make them more negative and bitter.  I'm determined that something good will come from it.  I believe Romans 8:28"For we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him and are called according to His purpose."  It is often misquoted and miscommunicated as "everything turns out for good" and that just isn't true.  But what it does mean is that God works in even the bad things for good for those who love him.  I have seen good things come from this.  I have made friends I never would have known - I have had people rally around me who I didn't even know before.  Yesterday the man who cut down all our trees that were overgrowing the driveway - hours and hours of work - would only take $100 from my husband for all his efforts.  He even hauled them away.  They were HUGE spruce trees.  The post office refused to deliver to our house because they said they overhung the driveway too much.  We couldn't have afforded it otherwise.  WHen my husband tried to pay him more, he said "You have a need; and I helped you".  My husband said "but so do you".  This is a family who is also struggling greatly - they lost their home a few years ago.  But he wouldn't take more than just the money he spent on gas. 

Sometimes I feel like I'm George Bailey, living "It's a Wonderful Life" - where I am just amazed at the love and support people have given us and they amazing ways God has provided for us at this time.  

What it makes me want to do is "turn around and strengthen my brother (or sister)" as the Bible says.  I have a friend having a bilateral on Nov 3.  I want to make dinner for them.  I think I will be feeling well enough by then because now I know how much it means to me when I have people cook for my family on chemo weeks.  My brother has three kids in his church whose mother is a drug addict and they have nothing.  My kids and I decided to make Christmas stockings for them - wrap up little presents and fill three stockings.  There is just something "pay it forward" about having people take care of me that makes me want even more to help other people and to find opportunities to do so.   There is something healing about shifting the focus from me and how crappy I feel, and thinking about somebody else.

What do I WANT to come out of this?  What I really want to learn is not to sweat the small stuff.  Not to stress over the little things that really do not matter.  I don't know if I have learned that.  I'm afraid I haven't as much as I wish I could.  I want to learn that each day is a gift - and not to take ANYTHING for granted ever again - not one single moment.  I hope I can learn that from this.  I hoep I can learn to rely more on God and not worry and obsess about things.....

I want to learn to live with the person I will be once this is done and find out who that person is.  I'm not the same as I was last year ---family photos of me from a few years ago or whenever all seem to be a different person.  I can't even really connect with the person I was when I was a child, teenager or newly married...she seems to be a stranger .....I want to "find" that person again; connect with her and  learn how to unite that person with the new person that I am. 

I think we all have to sort of find our way once this is all said and done.  I think "moving on" is going to be a difficult part of the journey - I'm trying to be realistic about that.  Once treatment is done, tamox is started.....how do we "live"?  I hope I can do it well.

• Gingerbrew

Last night and this morning have been really painful. I have taken oxycontin 4 times and really needed it. I don't like to take this sort of drugs but I simply couldnt see another choice. It became very difficult to stand on my feet, plus they hurt on top,and everywhere up my legs and hips. Perhaps it is a combo of the newlasta along with the taxol. 

I hope the Doctor will figure out some way to reduce this pain next round.  I really hurt a lot. I am usually good with pain, going on through it but this is different and scary. I am on Taxol 4X once every other week. 

My input is coming out funny so I will satop writing. If you know about newlasta and taxol together please tell me something. I do hope today is a turn around day, this is not good.

I truly hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Ginger

• omaz

Hi Ginger - I am sorry you have having so much pain!  Could you go to a weekly taxol with a lower dose?

• Gingerbrew

I willl ask the Doctor. I have been trying to do whatever they said thinking it would be the most effective. Like all of us I want this treatment to work. I read somewhere today that x 12 is = to x 4 so if that is correct I might see if we could do this. I literally cant do anything just now and husband travels alot.  DD's baby is only 11 weeks old and she is 40 minutes away.

I didnt expect this to be such a hard phase of treatment. 

Laters Ginger

• sptmm62
    sptmm62 Member Posts: 527

Omaz: I know exactly what you mean, I think.  This whole thing has not challenged or changed my faith but it definitely has changed the way I view the world around me and my priorities. 

My faith remains strong, as I have never blamed God in the traditional sense for any bad things that happen in life, he put us here, he tries to guide us but stuff happens in life.  I don't for a minute believe he micromanages the world. 

This whole experience has, however, taught me to cherish all the ordinary moments in life and to slow down a little and "stop and smell the roses".  I have recently said "no" to several things that would have crowded our already busy schedule and that is okay and I will do it again in the future without regret.  In that respect I have changed and will continue to change.  I now realize that we can't always put things off until tomorrow..because tomorrow is not guaranteed.  So, some of those tomorrows I am fitting into today. 

The most important thing I think I have learned and that I hope my kids take away from this can be summed up in a famous sports quote that I have often heard.."It not whether you get knocked down, it's how quickly you get back up".  Breast cancer knocked every one of us down...but we all got back up quickly...and fight back everyday.  And that is what is important!! 

And to all of you suffering with pain, nausea, bad tastes, or any other side effects...Kudos to you for getting up and fighting back!

I hope you all feel better soon.

Debbi

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895

calamity- very well stated.

i agree with the whole pay it forward idea, i have a neighbor that is so down on her luck, i had a money order sitting in my car that i had intended to give to the church, but this week had been so hectic that i just hadnt the chance. Well her power was gonna be cut off i gave it to her, she at first wouldnt take it and i convinced her that it was "extra" money and that God must have meant it for her or else i would have made it in this week... I did tell her in my pep talk that it could be worse, should could be dealing with breast cancer! She laughed and finally agreed to take it.

Anyhow- We all are shown something that a lot of us take for granted- Life is precious and no one knows when it will end. If we think back to te day we were dx i think we can all say we thought about what if we died and what would be unfinished in our lives- NOW IS THE TIME TO FINISH THESE THINGS!!!

sptmm62- Yup it is about how quickly we get up!

Ginger- sorry you're having so much pain :( Have you tried any otc pain meds? Do you have a perscription?

• 1WonderWoman

I do believe that we all will have some sort of catharsis as a result of this experience and I also believe that, as much as it will be different for all of us, there will be some fine-tuning of what we get invovled with, what we battle, what we enjoy and how to avoid too much of our resources being used in ways that are of no benefit.

I do think for many of us some very good things will come out of this but, at the same time, they won't be gifts dropping at our feet but rather more awareness of how we spend ourselves.  Not one of us caused ourselves to get bc but now that it has left us in it's wake, it is sort of like cleaning up after those awful storms that plague parts of this country: you pick up and try to build on a more solid foundation so should another storm come, you are better prepared. 

Ginger: Perhaps they can reduce the amount you are getting *and* extend the amount of times you are receiving it?  I am sorry for all that you are going through.  I have been on taxotere since September and I am doing ok with it.  Fatigue and muscle pain etc.. and overall it is uncomfortable.  The muscle weakness is the worst when I feel like I might fall. For the first time since I started, I have not worked out or done much of anything since getting my tx.  I spoke with my onc and came to some agreement about taking it a little easier the week of each tx.  I think that helped me.  I hope you feel better soon.  My turnaround is usually day 8 but I am on TAC.  Hopefully your's will be sooner.

Grocery store: I went and got 4 items and felt so weak I had to head home!   Got home, actually  ate some eggs and fell asleep for 4 blissful hours!  My sleep has been horrible with this tx.  Here's to hoping for good sleep tonight...

I hope you all have had some fun today- 

• lisaattheshore
    lisaattheshore Member Posts: 88

Hey all, just thought I would let you know I am still lurking.  I got behind at the end of September, and am only caught up to the middle of October.  I hope by now everything I am reading about is resolved!!!!  And everyone can enjoy the weekend! 

• zenith4289
    zenith4289 Member Posts: 137

Ginger I am on taxotere and since Sun or Mon I have had moderate to severe pain in my big toes, balls of feet and sides of heels making it difficult to walk.  Today is the first day the pain has lessened a bit.  My feet were also red.  Lisainglem suggested L-Glutamine or Neurontin. I haven't tried either but not really wanting to add another RX (neurotin) to the mix.  I had to take oxycodone since infusion and took one dose today as I still have some soft tissue pain in my port area.