Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited January 2011

Weesa, I have never learned to drive (lots of reasons) but I think the only time I really regretted it was when I read your post.

Thank you.

Leah

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited January 2011

wow that was a moving post.  I didn't get to do much driving after my third chemo because I quickly went down hill but...my bath tub and my bed where my spots. 

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited January 2011

Weesa....too funny...but how true for so many :)

I wrote the above before I wrote  your last post....so well written....sad and funny at the same time

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited January 2011

My sofa was my favorite place to hang (and bed).  I got used to my car (which I love) on my way to rads.  I would listen to the same music everyday and then get breakfast after rads. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited January 2011

Weesa--you said it all! 

• littletower
    littletower Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2011

Weesa....wonderful!

• river_rat
    river_rat Member Posts: 317
    edited January 2011

Love this thread! 

YKYACP when you think you're really lucky that your leg hair isn't growing back while the rest of your hair is....then you put on a pair of shorts and go out in the sun, look down and see 1" long pieces of very fine, very blonde hair sticking helter skelter out of your legs.  Yeah this happened, so then I went in to the tub to shave, soaped up, shaved, went back outside and they were still there.  I guess the hair was so fine that it bent instead of getting cut.  So I went out and sat on the deck with my shaving cream and razor and shaved every which way all over my legs.....good times.

• HollyinMich
    HollyinMich Member Posts: 57
    edited February 2011

When you are searching for wigs and foobs on the internet and suddenly realize how much you now have in common with trannys, lol.

When typing a response to a thread and realizing for a moment you have forgotten how to spell "common" and it takes you a second to remember!

• HollyinMich
    HollyinMich Member Posts: 57
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when you look at your hand and realize that half of your thumb nail feel off and think "Wow, I hope that didn't just end up in the cooked chicken I was pulling", even though I used two forks to pull it apart and not my hands.  I guess it's chicken tetrazini surprise for dinner tonight!

• Smile_On
    Smile_On Member Posts: 66
    edited February 2011

Holly so funny--I've been there with the nails and yucky skin flakes that were falling off everywhere when my underarm was healing from radiation.  I tried hard to pick them up as I saw them, but one day I missed one on the couch.  My fiance was munching some chips, thought he dropped one, grabbed a big skin flake and was completely grossed out.  Luckily he did not try to eat it.

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -

...when you start paying a lot of attention to other women's breasts

...when you look at other people's heads to see if just maybe they have a wig on too

...when your fiance/husband/significant other doesn't bat an eye anymore when you strip topless in 20 seconds in the bedroom (just a hot-flash)

• veggy
    veggy Member Posts: 4,150
    edited February 2011

Even after 17 months from being diagnose...

I still look at other people's heads to see if they are wearing a wig.

I still haven't put away my scarves and hats I used to wear.

My big toe nail is split and still  trying to grow out from chemo.

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited February 2011

a bubbly young mother-to-be exclaims that she has her first ultrasound this afternoon and instead of reflecting on the first time you saw your now 18 YO daughter in utero, you flinch because US is how they found your tumor and since your dx you've had so many anxiety-ridden, uncomfortable experiences with that machine...  

• gracefarm
    gracefarm Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2011

Weesa, thank you! This is great. I too go on long, long drives. Here in the Midwestern U.S. we sometimes get snowed- and iced-in and I really miss those drives when the weather's too bad to "run away" for a while.

My contribution: we lost an IBC sister (inflammatory breast cancer) last night from the IBCSupport.org discussion forums. YKYACP when forum friends pass away and you cry and think maybe you should stop reading these posts, then you go right back because someone might need what you have to give, and because you need them more than you need to protect yourself from the pain.

Kim in Ohio

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited February 2011

gracefarm  (((((HUGS)))))

Well said.  I have to come here.  This seems to be the only place that gets it and understands.  There are a few in my Church who are long term survivors but theydidn't do chemo...radiation and where not stage 3.  Ithink they all expect me to be just like them and move on.  However I have lots of limitations thanks to the neuropathy, muscle weakness, and now lymphedema.  I feel lost if I didn't have these forums to keep me going.  Yes it is sad to read about those that pass on but what if we are able to help somebody else that seems to have the same side effects we did.

• MissBianca
    MissBianca Member Posts: 1,291
    edited February 2011

So funny, ladies!  Weesa, can you imagine a little hidden webcam capturing our cracked up moments? LOL

YKYACP when "Clap on! Clap off!..The Clapper!" has made it on your Christmas wish list.

YKYACP when getting a little trained monkey to fetch you snacks sounds like a plausible idea!

• alispuy
    alispuy Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when you go for your annual mammogram and ask for a discount and get it!

• weesa
    weesa Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when your cleaning lady leaves a 10 foot swath of unvacuumed floor around your night stand on your side of the bed, telling you she is afraid of it. You admit you are somewhat leary of it yourself.You decide to examine but not necessarily discard the contents, digging from the top drawer down in cautious, methodical, archeological expedition procedure. First layer is 8 types of dry skin cream, for feet, face, eyes and overall body. Some for seriously dry skin and some for big time, dangerous, might- just- fall- off -in the middle -of- the- night -skin or, god forbid, the supermarket. Then dry-eye drops and ointments. Three bottles of opened Beano in various stages of usage.Two white plastic nose clips to stop nose bleeds, 5 prescription pain bottles, going back to 2002, one from your first lumpectomy, second lumpectomy, mastectomy, bad tooth day and reconstruction, your old port (which you kept out of some misguided sentimentality since the surgeon says they aren't recyclable or loanable).Second drawer down has hair ball medicine for your Persian,( might come in handy when doing taxotere,) expired bottles of ambien, paxil, ativan and emends, a half eaten bagel which, gratefully, petrified instead of molding, an eye lash kit, unopened, with eyelashes and glue, two fake nipples, unused, 2 bottles of stool softeners. One big toenail from your right foot painted fuschia which you always planned to mail to your sister in order to shock her. A DukeEnergy bill from July 2009, in the far back a wadded up copy of a pathology report, and even more wadded up, a letter from the IRS asking for an audit DURING CHEMO BRAIN. Several suspicous looking kleenexes, and something in the bottom that is puddled, looking and smelling like toxic waste which could have been at one time morning coffee (which could be what the cleaning lady is afraid of), and a pretty box which you were going to mail your toenail in to your sister. Stuck on the bottom in the puddle is an instruction booklet for getting rid of Japanese beetles and a pale green piece of beach glass.

You know there will come a day when you are stronger, better wired together, more fearless, when you will be able to throw this stuff out but today is not that day.(It feels good just to admire it.) Tomorrow might not be the day, either. 

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited February 2011

OMG.  Thank you for the entertainment!  I can picture it.  I asked for my port and was politely turned down.  Thought it might make an interesting necklace...

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited February 2011

LOL that last one was priceless.We can all relate.

• veggy
    veggy Member Posts: 4,150
    edited February 2011

I asked for my port and got it. In fact I was told that I was the only one who asked for their port. Some day when I am ready, I want to smash the port beyond recognition and then burn it in a bonfire. Then take the ashes and bury them. Maybe I'll burn them more than once and dance around the fire.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited February 2011

I kept a kidney stent from surgery back in July 2009. Don't know why either, but I pulled it out in the ER the night after surgery because the ER doc wouldn't! He wouldn't touch it, so I kept it. ehehehehehe

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when your doctor says he's not sure if your insurance will cover a bone desity scan because you are only 48, you explain that BC is like a get-out-of-jail-free card... my insurance hasn't denied anything since my dx.

• iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    edited February 2011

I had to have my foob changed out and kept the filled foob!  And it was not collapsed like the radiologist and ps thought, so now we have a great paper weight.  LOL, actually just threw it away last month.

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when, speaking of hidden cameras, whatever treatment I am on now has me having the winter nose drippy's really bad - I keep tissues handy at all times when prior to this, blowing my nose was a useless endeavor.  However, when I get inside from the cold and get warmed up, the nose drippy's stop and I end up with this thin layer of 'crusty bits' just barely inside the tip of my nose.  A quick little flip of the thumb flakes them right off.

Well, we had our first sock knitting session of the 2011 season on Saturday and it was cold.  I got inside, got my machine all set up, helped as best I could with the bum leg and folks arrived and we started knitting socks. 

I was so engaged in my sock knitting - I was determined to get more than one sock done - that I really wasn't paying attention until I heard my nursey neighbor from across the room shouting - 'You got a pic of Sharon picking her nose'.  Now there are two Sharon's in the group - so duh, it took me awhile to get that they were talking about me.  I walk over and have a look and don't ya know, there I am, big as life with my thumb flipping the crusty's off...and then trying to explain that I wasn't really picking my nose which led to more laughter and teasing and threatening to make it the front page of our sock knitters newsletter!  Ah, the se's of treatment!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited February 2011

........when your idea of fun is getting off the couch and doing circles in the living room trying to remember what ya got up for? it was really important!!! And omg-I am trolling the thread going "where is my post" in case i need to edit it and I find that I have written but not posted a thing. And weesa, ROTFLMAO ;0)))))) SV

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited February 2011

weesa..good one, I think we all have something like that

• misssimpson
    misssimpson Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2011

After dumping my trash-can in the outside dumpster at work, I took the opportunity to go to the cafeteria to get lunch.  The empty trash-can rode with me in my car.  When returning to the building with my lunch in one hand and the trash-can in the other hand, you know you are a YKYACP when your co-worker stops you in the hall and asks if the trash-can is needed after eating lunch.

Penny

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited February 2011

LMAO... yet again with this thread!!

YKYACP when you repeatedly wrap your fingers around your wrist everyday just to check and see if lymphadema has started.

• MissBianca
    MissBianca Member Posts: 1,291
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when you stop midsentence and completely forget what you were saying (and it was a short sentence). Then your DH says, "What, did you just have a brain fart?" and you sheepishly admit that you did.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2011

MissBianca, I've done that enough, that now I just shrug and smile and admit,

"Oh, I just derailed my own train of thought."

Sometime, the thought comes back, sometimes it's gone with the wind.  :-)