Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• TNBC-er
    TNBC-er Member Posts: 63
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when you want to whip out your photos of radiation / chemo infusion / surgery to show folks what you mean when describing this stuff to them.

And - YKYACP when you can't remember the acronym YKYACP and have to look it up before you can type it in a posting!!! (To say nothing of the strange language one appears to type in, before cleaning it all up to post...)

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited February 2011

TNBC-er...I just copy and paste it from the previous post as I can NEVER remember it...LOL - and hope that they got it right so I don't perpetuate a boo boo...

• littletower
    littletower Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2011

As always weesa....perfect. YKYACPW it takes a really, really, really ,really, really, really long time to run out of shampoo.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited February 2011

when you realize that you still are using the hair jell you bought a year and a half ago...time to buy some more.

• Smile_On
    Smile_On Member Posts: 66
    edited February 2011

...when being snowed in doesn't really affect your plans/day.

• webu
    webu Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2011

when your 75 year old mother is taking you to doctor's appointments, instead of the other way around.

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited February 2011

This thread always makes me laugh.  Thanks!

• Smile_On
    Smile_On Member Posts: 66
    edited February 2011

...you are organizing your closet and all of the sweaters without full zippers or buttons are getting put in under the bed storage (to my favorite form-fitting v-neck pull on sweaters...sorry, maybe you can come back out afer chemopause).

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited February 2011

when you are so grateful to have anti-nausea meds from chemo when you have food poisoning (this was my day yesterday). 

when you were superwoman during chemo, but a total baby during food poisoning.

when you call your onco and not your PCP  to see if you should take the anti-nausea meds and if she'll give you fluids if you can't get hydrated! 

OH.... when you buy new shampoo because you've been using the same stuff for 7 months and can't stand it anymore (and it was not empty).

when you buy a new mascara because the one had had pre-chemo is no longer good.  :)

• kathleen1966
    kathleen1966 Member Posts: 68
    edited February 2011

When you look down at Home Depot and see a lump in your stomach and then catch your fake boob right before it falls out on to the ground. When your 8 year old yells in protest "You have no hair....anywhere"  after you've gone straight from the shower to his room to wake him up for school.  When his friends want to know why you're always wearing a shower cap. When a retiree you just met asks you if you're retired (I'm 44) and then shortly after you're asked if it was you who inquired about the "Senior discount" while waiting in line at a grocery type store. When your 4 year old tells you you're awesome because you had holes put in you but didn't die (the drains after surgery)...When your neighbor that you barely knows stops by to ask you "what's the prognosis"...

Thanks for the laughs!  

• Susie123
    Susie123 Member Posts: 82
    edited February 2011

When you're a year out from your bmx and almost "normal" again, until your oncologist appointment. That was at 8:30 this morning and I've been overwhelmingly sad and scared since then. They took blood this morning, I go back next week to see the onco. It's a strange thing, you can almost forget that you have cancer, until it's checkup time. Then it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop. I hate feeling this way!

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited February 2011

Susie - my onc appt was postponed because I was sick; new appt is Monday and I'm nervous.  Part of me says I'm being silly, part of me is scared.  I'm one year out from bmx  Sorry you are having to go through more anxiety.  YKNYCP when you CAN'T go to the doctor's when you are sick, since you can't be around all those people with surpressed immune systems.

YKYACP when you can no longer wear shirts that have a seam or design or button tab that hits certain points on your chest - some of my favorite shirts are not hitting the discard pile YET, but may eventually go there.

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited February 2011

YKYACPW you can't remember whether you watch the TV show before.  Yeah I know that one has been said but here is a revised version... YKYACPW you wish your chemo brain was just as bad as the day you quit chemo so you would think there was something new  to watch on tv. 

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited February 2011

when you postpone your mammo/us because it is scheduled the week before your vacation to Mexicoe.  I don't want any thing to screw up this trip.  I have waited to long.

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    edited February 2011

...when you are late to work because you left home without your foob and had to go back... :\

• kittycat
    edited February 2011

when your husband has to remind you that you're getting a hysterectomy in a couple months (and you're bummed because you wanted to go on vacation around that time). 

when you gauge your hair growth by the length of your pet's hair. Ok, my hair is longer than the short hair cats, but not as long as my long hair cats.  The next stage will be when my hair is between the long hair cat and border collie (long hair dog).  LOL!!!

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when your hair is finally longer than all the boys in your house!!  (and your cat... LOL).

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2011

... when you've given away all your tops with bust darts because they just don't fit right.

... when your hairstyle has evolved from Sinead O'Connor to Pink to Jamie Lee Curtis.

... when you want hair like Kathleen Sebelius (US Sec. of Health & Human Services)

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited February 2011

THAT'S what I'm aiming for!!!

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited February 2011

When you gauge your hair growth by your neighbor's baby's hair.

Leah

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2011

When you stay home all Saturday and don't do anything tiring but you are so tired in the evening that you just want to sleep.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited February 2011

YKYACPW you look at yourself in the mirror after a session of cooking and cleaning and see sweat stains under one breast and under one arm but not the other.  I really don't need reminders sneaking up on me like this. 

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited February 2011
    ykyacpw you have to call your onc to make sure a new drug won't interact with the stuff you're taking now. Have a damn infection, had to get anti-biotics.
  • dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136
    edited February 2011

when you have to get a different prosthesis to take for swimming on your cruise

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited February 2011

haha dawney :)

I had one also during reconstruction - don't misplace it lol

i did

• sacphotomom
    sacphotomom Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2011

ykyacpw...  You have pain on your left mx site and you don't know if you should call your ONC, Surgeon, Rads Doc, Lymphedema therapist or your Primary Doc!

Thanks for all the laughs on this site.. I love reading and laughing out loud!

• kittycat
    edited February 2011

when you confuse your pets with all of your looks... blonde, bald, brunette, gray stubble and...... short crazy curly chemo clown hair!!! 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited February 2011

YKYACPW you know the every 4 month shot is being scheduled 2 weeks two early by your oncologist and the office staff doesn't notice until you point it out, and then doesn't believe you at first, even though this would be the second time that's happened to you. 

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited February 2011

Hope Everyone Has a Very Happy Valentines Day.....

• cherokee807
    cherokee807 Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2011

I loved it.....I try and make jokes all the time or I will go completely NUTS with all of this! LOL