Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• 3daywalker
    3daywalker Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2011

You know you are a breast cancer patient when a port is a thing in your chest and not the place you go get the boat...when your bedroom slippers are the shoes of choice...when eating ice cream for dinner is fine...when you take the waste basket in the car with you, ugh...when pink is your favorite color and anyone else wearing pink is super great!

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2011

I've always liked pink, but less so now.  It is irritating to me how many businesses jump on the bandwagon to sell things with the pink BC ribbon symbol simply to sell products.  I'm sure there are some business that truly do it to raise money for BC research, etc., but others simply use that ribbon as a marketing tool to turn a profit for themselves. 

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited February 2011

i actually like the pink thing. the day i had my lumpectomy and axillary dissection, the local news went to my place of work and all the employees were wearing pink and all spray painted their hair pink, for me!! then later that night on the 10 o'clock news, while i was in a morphine induced haze in my hospital room, there was all my co-workers!! telling the cameras hi for me! it was great, so yeah, i like pink and i like what it represents. more so of that day than anything else!

• tinkertude
    tinkertude Member Posts: 1,998
    edited February 2011

Ditto on the pink... Tink likes Pink! lol all you ladies are so wonderful and brave. I did not receive chemo so forgive me for adding my two sense, but you all are an inspiration to me!!!!  I love yur humor and as someone back said about the friends we make here on these threads becoming so near and dear, that is so true.. I go to the Tamoxifen thread as that is my big issue now and have made friends for life I am sure

God Bless you all!!!

Keep fighting like girls

hugs!!!!!!!!

• MissBianca
    MissBianca Member Posts: 1,291
    edited February 2011

...when you have sat and pondered the color pink. Stomach achy Pepto Bismal pink...yucky. Pale pink on the inside of a seashell...lovely. Richard Simmons fuschia tank top pink.. flamboyant. Childhood memories of pink frosted animal crackers and Nestle Strawberry Quik...yummy. A dozen pink roses...heavenly. A pink sash on a girl's dress...adorable. Pink ribbons on my food items during BC awareness month...unappetizing. Pink's pink punk hair...fun. Sunburn pink...painful. Pink eyeshadow...a momentary lapse in good decision making.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited February 2011

hdangel, that is one of the best pink stories I've ever heard.  not enough to make me like pink, I still hate it, but I love that story!!!

tink, welcome!  I did Tamoxifen for 3 and a half yrs,so please feel free to ask, or PM me, any questions at all.

MissB, love those pink descriptions :)  Jsut for the record, my hub and Pink's father are first cousins.  We've known Alicia since she was born, literallly!  Our two dd's and Pink (and her brother) played together at Christmas parties for many years.  My only claim to almost fame~!~

• tinkertude
    tinkertude Member Posts: 1,998
    edited February 2011

Thank you Marlegal!

• AnacortesGirl
    AnacortesGirl Member Posts: 119
    edited February 2011

It's been a while since I've added anything to this thread and I've got to say that you ladies blow me away!  The posts are so funny and real day brighteners!  I just hope this keeps going for all the new ladies.  Just because you got cancer doesn't mean you have to give up your sense of humor!  Just wish I had something to add...

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited February 2011

YKYACPW you make a list of aches, pains, symptoms, concerns and fears before every doctor's appointment, and then have to give the list to 2 or 3 docs (or more) to get the entire list addressed.

YKYACPW you're afraid to show your list  of aches, pains, etc to ANY doc because you are afraid it means the beast is back.  

• Smile_On
    Smile_On Member Posts: 66
    edited February 2011

...when you wake up in the middle of the night and are laying on your stomach and are so excited that you actually rolled onto your stomach in the middle of the night and didn't wake up from pain that you wake up your sig. other to share the news and he is excited too.  I thought when I could finally start sleeping on my sides was a big deal, but forgot how much I missed tummy time!

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited February 2011

For Sure!!!

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited February 2011

smile on - Little Miss ? Happy or Sunshine? or ? I can't remember all my Mr Men and Little Miss-

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited February 2011

YKYACPW you mention to a something to a doctor and next thing you are having tests and another scan. Have a scan this morning!!!

• MissBianca
    MissBianca Member Posts: 1,291
    edited February 2011

Marlegal, that's so cool about Pink!! What a talent. There is an emotional honesty to her lyrics, and she's savvy, too. I like the story of how she found Linda Perry to cowrite with. It launched them both.

YKYACPW you are so thrilled to have a cold so you don't have to go to your Onc appt. (can't get the others sick, ya know) Achooo...yay! I'm off the hook for now...

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited February 2011

just popping in for a smile and a laugh

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when you realize your armpits are sweating for the first time in months.  Who knew that was a side effect of chemo !  Or maybe I've been sweating all along but couldn't feel it due to post surgical numbness.  Hmmm...  The great armpit mystery !

• Smile_On
    edited February 2011

Gillyone--it is Little Miss Sunshine, I loved that book series as a kid, and always had a special fondness for her.

JFV--I've noticed that since radiation I don't seem to sweat (or as you said I don't notice the sweat due to numbness) under my affected arm.  Since chemo it also seems that all my sweat has migrated from the armpit area to my forehead/back during those pesky hot-flashes.

• hdangelbaby
    edited February 2011

hot flashes.. ugh... 'nuff said!

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when you always had very long hair before chemo, and you run into someone that you haven't seen in a very long time and they say "you cut your hair" and you don't have the heart to tell them otherwise because there are a bunch of people around you at a medical conference! 

• mcbird
    mcbird Member Posts: 138
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when four years later you are still numb from your bi mx and two revisions due to infection.

• libraylil
    libraylil Member Posts: 325
    edited February 2011

YKYAACP when  your total shopping focus is something zips down the front.  I could not even undress this quickly in college.

Relatives think you're having a crisis because you talk about Rad tatts.

Your Pets and students are confused about your hairstyle/wig/chapeaux, etc.

You get strawberries from a student on Valentines Day instead of chocolate, because he heard they fight cancer.

People give you a wide berth in retail stores, don't bump into you and let you cross at the crosswalks without trying to mow you down.

(PS. pink.  I understand how many of us feel about pink.  However, others don't.  The teachers at my school decorated the library with pink ribbons during October and wore pink as a surprise.  It made me feel that they were supporting me.  Even the students wore pink.  Admittedly I did get an overabundance of BC theme ware during Christmas, and started to become irritated.   I)libraylil

• river_rat
    river_rat Member Posts: 317
    edited February 2011

YKYAACP when you finally quit wearing your wig and someone who has seen you once a week with it says, "why the hell did you cut it so short?"

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited February 2011

Smil-On Thanks for the info.  I am glad to hear I am not the only mystery "sweater."

• hdangelbaby
    edited February 2011

i'm going to mess with people when i go back to work. i work in retail so i see lots of people everyday. i have always wanted to mess with these people and it will be my chance in a couple months. one day wig. one day hat. one day, wig, one day, nothing, next day wig! ha!! it will confuse the hell outta people!

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited February 2011

River-rat... LOL... I get that on an almost daily basis!!  "You cut your hair so short!" Uh, nope... it's only GROWN this much!!  Come on people; lets work on our sensitivity... think, think!!!

Hdangelbaby - I love it!!!  You'll have to let us know what they say!

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited February 2011

Hdangel, - Fun, and how about changing colors and length of  hair?

• hdangelbaby
    edited February 2011

oh that's a great idea chabba!! i could be a short haired blonde one day, and a long haired brunette the next!

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited February 2011

Can you find a wild flaming red wig.  Or maybe electric blue?  Wink

• Smile_On
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when you realize partway through the day that you have lost a good chunk of your fingernail and are hoping that it didn't wind up in the baby blanket you were making or the pot of soup.  (Did find it later when making the bed--glad to know it wasn't the secret ingredient).

------------------------------ 

Very neat hdangel!  Someone told me I should draw eyes on my head to show my students that teachers really do have eyes in the back of their head, but that was a little over the top for me.  I'm too shy & I don't want to scare them.

• elmcity69
    elmcity69 Member Posts: 320
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when everytime you flash your license, the clerk/cashier/police officer stares for a moment and says, "wow, you look different from the photo".

(and yes, i tend to put the petal to the metal, hence the police referenceSurprised