Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• HollyinMich
    HollyinMich Member Posts: 57
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when every gift your MIL has given you since your diagnosis has a pink ribbon on it.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thought, but I am more than my diagnosis and I would much rather a gift that helped me get through it all (like a nice cozy pair of pajamas that buttoned up the front for my mastectomy) than a constant reminder of my disease.

• MissBianca
    MissBianca Member Posts: 1,291
    edited February 2011

YKYACP when you have sprouted a new whisker on your chin, and your son's little fingers have discovered it. You ask him, "Baby, what are you doing?" and he answers, "...........um, Hi, Mommy!!!!"

• jennyboog
    jennyboog Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2011

When people ask you "how are you doing?" with the sad puppy dog eyes & their head tilted to the side and you give them back the same, head tilt nod..."I'm good". :) 

• river_rat
    river_rat Member Posts: 317
    edited February 2011

Jennyboog, don't you just hate that look?

YKYAACP when going to the dentist just isn't a big deal anymore.

edited to add the dentist bit 

• webu
    webu Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2011

YKYAACP when someone tells you "you look so much younger without your hair!"  Gee, thanks. I can't wait to look like an old lady again.

• river_rat
    river_rat Member Posts: 317
    edited February 2011

Webu, too funny!

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited February 2011

LOL.

• jennyboog
    jennyboog Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2011

@ webu...LOL, I've been told that too!

• ScienceGirl
    ScienceGirl Member Posts: 35
    edited February 2011

You know your a cancer patient when your best idea in weeks is to get a lazy susan for all of your meds!

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136
    edited February 2011

lol science girl

when you have to worry about your 'boob' falling out of your bathing suit top.  It looked great when I tired it on but I didnn't think about actually moving in it.  It kept trying to slip out the bottom of the top!

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited February 2011

when you have to lay on the beach with your hand on your saggy real breast, because your foob stands tall and perky and my real boob hangs into my armpit...I look like some kind of freaky sand sculpture that the waves have destroyed..

• Elizabeth1959
    Elizabeth1959 Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2011

YNYAACP when a coworker says "well look on the bright side, you wanted to have a breast reduction. " Yeah right, like my idea of a breast reduction is a mastectomy.  How do you respond to someone who says that to you?

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited February 2011

Elizabeth - I certainly would not blurt out my first thought!  It involves fat heads and losing weight.

• bluegems
    bluegems Member Posts: 507
    edited February 2011

OMG, Elizabeth! I've been spared the mx, so I cannot truly know what you've been through.But my initial thought was, after the punch just flew from me, "Now you can get that rhinoplasty you've always wanted!"

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited February 2011
    BG - funny !!!!  I was excited at the chance to get a 'better' set of boobs when I heard I had bc and would need a mx.  Mine had always been big and at 57 were droopy.  (not at my waist yet, but being perky was long gone)  I also told everyone I would be getting the diep and would involve a much desired tummy tuck. My oh my was I in for a letdown as you can imagine.  I'm always one to embrace denial and set my own reality.  It was good while it lasted.  See, anyone can be an idiot!! 
  • nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908
    edited February 2011

I wanted a breast REDUCTION, not a breast REMOVAL and REPLACEMENT. 

Duh. 

• Elizabeth1959
    Elizabeth1959 Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2011

Chabba, bluegems and NativeMainer

Your comments made me laugh out loud and cheered me up.

TnbcRuth,

OK, I thought diep would give me a flatter stomach.  I imagine what your saying is your god given breast still beats a reconstructed one.  I think that was part of why I was so insulted.  Many people said something to the effect that I looked wonderful following my mastectomy.  (and much thinner minus one boob and a reduction on the other).  I know my real breasts were very large but I had two of them plus as far as I knew, I didn't have a potentially life threatening illness.  OK I've vented  I'm going to let go of some of my rage.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited February 2011

Eliz...there is nothing you can say that is polite and printable to that women....The most polite think I can think of what goes around comes around....she'll get her due!!!  its like the people I used to work with who equated my exchange surgery equal to someone elses boob enhansement!!!!  yeah just what I wanted!!!!  there was nothing wrong with my middle age saggy boobs!!!

NM...I love your response....

• tnbcRuth
    edited February 2011

Yep, people say how nice the new foobs look and its so hard to say Thank you.  They act like I should be delighted with them.  I hate 'em.

• ATeamNana
    ATeamNana Member Posts: 224
    edited February 2011

you call your sister on the house phone during lunch and walk out the door to return to work with the house phone still talking and realize when you get 20 feet or so from the house you are on the house phone not your cell phone....scary it works even that far....

I do not post much on these boards but today I'm kinda down...and this board always gives me a laugh and lifts my spirits.....thanks for all the funny stories....

• mcbird
    mcbird Member Posts: 138
    edited February 2011

YKYACPW you take the TV remote to the bathroom with you because everytime you go in there the phone rings.  Oh how I hate these brain farts. LOL  Darla

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited February 2011

LOL!  Thanks for that one, mcbird.  Laughed so hard I nearly choked on my cheetos midnight snack.

• WeeSee
    WeeSee Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011

Awwww Holli if we were closer i'd take you to go buy some PJ'S.:) And some slippers! (((hugs sweetie)))

• littletower
    littletower Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2011

You spend more time at bco than you do on eBay looking for shoes:)

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited February 2011

Ykyacpw...........you get bird advice.  From where else?  On BC.org of course.  Thank you mcbird.  It's still working!!!!

• tnbcRuth
    edited February 2011

Sharon-love your duck!  I have one that comes every year to lay eggs...sometime in March.  I even have a video of them leaving mama's nest and going to the lake for their first swim.  Its priceless!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited February 2011

That would be priceless to watch Ruth!! How sweet. We were golfing once early in the season and as I walked up a slight incline to the women's tee I was greeted by baby geese! They were snow white, but looked green as the sun was setting and their fuzz picked up the green from the grass. I will never forget that. Still wonder who was more surprised...them or me!

• mscal02
    mscal02 Member Posts: 167
    edited February 2011

YKYACPW; When your prothesesis has slipped from your bra, and is stuck to your belly button.

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2011

Too funny mscalo2!  

• tnbcRuth
    edited February 2011

I hate to, but I gotta ask...all these slipped prosthesis.....there's nothing like a suction cup? or double sided tape? or pockets for them?  Not a day goes by that someone doesn't post a prosthesis gone wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh to play golf again ~~~~~