Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited March 2011

Where's the bitchin thread??  :)

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited March 2011

It's on Moving Beyond Cancer - "I'm bitchy, I moan"... something like that - I just looked at it and can't remember the bloomin name.  Sigh.  Great for a rant, though.

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited March 2011

Amen to all the mom thoughts on here. Please God, just let us live - we are needed!

And here's my take on "you know you have cancer when..."
    ...every person you know has told you stories (with no real details) of everyone they've ever met or even vaguely heard of who had cancer, got treatment, and survived.

"I haven't heard from you in a while."
    "Yeah, I know. That's because I've been diagnosed with breast cancer and just had a mastectomy."
    "Really? My next door neighbor's mother-in-law's hairdresser once had breast cancer, but she's still here."
    "Oh. I'm glad to hear she's doing well."

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited March 2011

Not only do they tell you the stories of those people who have survived, but also the ones who died.  Gee, thanks.  Just wanted I wanted to hear about.

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited March 2011

Doesn't it bug you that when people see you now, the first thing that comes to their mind is "breast cancer."  Instead of talking to me about regular things that they talk about with other people, when people see me, it is always, "how are your feeling?"  Hey, people ......... my whole life isn't breast cancer!

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited March 2011

I think most people have a hard time figuring out what to talk about to random acquaintances, even under the best of circumstances. They will grasp for any hook, anything they can remember to start a conversation. For us, unfortunately, that "hook" is often (or usually) breast cancer. Uggh.

Maybe if we answered by saying "I'm doing great on the health front, thanks. But my real interest these days is ______ ," and the blank were something really memorable like "Rollerblading" or "Whale watching in Tahiti" or "My Star Wars action figure collection" or even simply "Raising my son, Poindexter, who is starring in the school play next week," people might change what they bring up when they talk to us the next time.

We just need to give them something to envision other than bc when they see our serene, sunlit, beaming faces. <grin>

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited March 2011

Good point about the "hook" windlass!! A new hook will stop people from looking at your breasts when they "click" what they know about you too!

I had met with a client for the third time and we had become close enough that I told her about my breast cancer. Her eyes stayed frozen on mine...like a deer in headlights....so I broke down and said "You can look". But then we started talking about work again, so I think I've brought her back to the original reason for our relationship.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited March 2011

Leanna, I agree.

• weesa
    weesa Member Posts: 78
    edited March 2011

ykyacp when mornings trying to exit the house become a time of  drama and suspense--suspense about whether you can pull it off: remember to put on your wig, foobs, lymphedema sleeve, put the dog out, feed the cat, scoop the litter box, let the dog in, remember to put in your purse (by the way where is my purse?) the medication for panic attacks, dry mouth and nausea. Put dry eye drops in the eyes, draw some nice credible eyebrows on, wrap a bandaid around a loose thumbnail so it just looks like you cut your finger, check four times on account of chemobrain to make sure the stove is turned off, locate your cell phone by calling it from your land phone, when you finally find your purse(it's been on your shoulder) you remember to throw your celery phone which is beeping with the missed call in the purse, get your laptop, get your reading glasses, hunt for your sunglasses and discover finally they are on top of your wig on your head,, locate the car keys and your healthy lunch, decide to postpone lymphatic drainage massage until you hit the first red light, and make a lurching dash to the garage, start backing out before you zap the overhead door, but catch the mistake just in the nick of time in the rearview, remember to rezap the door to close it, back down the driveway, ignore the collision with the full garbage can, and as you get up a good head of steam you keep having a nagging feeling you forgot something (did I remember to lock up the house?) and sure enough, 3 miles later, the car coasts to a stop because you forgot to get gas, and you debate, as you pull your phone out of your purse and realize you didn't charge it last night, is it overload or chemo brain?

• julie75
    julie75 Member Posts: 295
    edited March 2011

weesa:  Oh, my goodness, my goodness . . . LOL. . . have  you thought about doing stand-up comedy?  I love it!

Julie

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908
    edited March 2011

LMAO!  Great job!

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited March 2011

Weesa, you are a hoot.  I hope that didn't really happen.  At least not all in the same day.Wink  Hugs.

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited March 2011

Weesa, the funniest ykyacp I have read.  After all that you'd need a nap and a glass of wine to get you down to nap time.

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2011

YKYACPW, having a bowel movement makes your day, you finally get a good nights sleep, after 3 steroid induced days of taxol, and you get more medical bills in the mail, than actual mail!!!

have a great day ladies, i will, i slept well last night and have a hot date with the hubby!

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2011

Weesa - too funny!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited March 2011

YKYACPW you are chatting to your doc and you both laugh at the celebration of having a normal bowel movement!  Yay!

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited March 2011

Weesa - too funny!!!

hdangel... OMG, I remember during chemo when I was so backed up I didn't think there would be any more room left, then right about the time I thought I couldn't take it anymore the opposite would take over.  I borrowed the term from someone else on these boards  -  I referred to those times as cactus butt.

YKYACPW..........you can discuss bowel movements with cyber friends like it's a normal thing to discuss.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited March 2011
    When you are trying to catch up on this thread and start laughing so hard that you tinkle your pantsEmbarassed
  • tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited March 2011

YKYACPW you are talking about a friend and when you get three sentences into the conversation, you can't remember the friend's name.  Really.

• Esti
    Esti Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2011

You know you're a cancer patient when you can no longer fart with confidence.

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited March 2011
    YKYCPW you start ascribing great medicinal powers to what most people would merely consider good habits. The water I now drink using a $9 Britta filter is referred to by me as my "anti-cancer water," to be distinguished from mere tap water for its miraculous cure value, presumably. My exercise classes, from spinning to weight lifting are, of course "anti-cancer" partly in that they also serve a convenient political purpose. The exercise, my cancer addled thinking reasons, gives me "deniability." My superstition, or idea, is that I can get so strong and fit that if I do get bone mets, my strong, fit, incredible athletic body that matches an Olympian's will not feel the pain of mets for years and thus I will live longer in ignorant bliss. My massive muscles will protect me. In short, YKYCPW you start encountering major flaws in your own logical reasoning. 
  • HollyinMich
    HollyinMich Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2011

YKYCPW in the weeks just following your BMX you realize that the mole that use to be situated almost IN your armpit at the top of your breast has now migrated roughly a little over 2 inches south! 

It makes you happy you never got that tatoo you once contemplated when you were younger.  It also makes you feel bad for those that did that are now in the same battle with BC that you are and now have yet another problem with aesthetics to deal with.  Oh what to turn that half blue and black butterfly into that's now located about where the areola should be?!?!

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited March 2011

Athena, I hadn't heard about the miracle 'brita' water. I have been using a brita filter for at least 15 years, and still ended up with bc.

Sheila 

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited March 2011

LOL! That's the point, Sheila! If you read further, I say:

In short, YKYCPW you start encountering major flaws in your own logical reasoning. 

• tnbcRuth
    edited March 2011

HOLLY !!! That's exactly what happened to me !!!  How did you nail it???  I had a reduction 25 years ago and about 10 yrs ago got trailing leaves and a butterfly on top of the scars, to make them 'prettier'.  THEN I get bc and with reconstructions, YES, the butterflies are too close to where the areola should be.  OMG, it was like you were reading my chart!!!  YKYACP when your butterfly tattoos are mangled and misplaced and you don't have room for an areola now.  I have no idea what I'm going to do~

Was there a bit of truth in your post ?? 

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited March 2011

Meesa, I love the part about drawing on reasonable looking eyebrows. That was such a challenge for me!

YKYACP when your real eyebrows grow in and you realize they are not symetrical!!

• HollyinMich
    HollyinMich Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2011

Ruth, when I was younger I wanted a tatoo on my chest and ended up changing it to my ankle.  When I realized that my mole had shifted about 2 and half inches the other night it hit me that I was sooo glad I had changed the location of my tat!  I was 17 when I got it and decided to put it on my ankle because it would be easier to cover up if I needed to with a pair of pants or tights.  I'm glad I had the forethought at 17 to stop and think about it and how it would look in the "working world" when I got older as I ended up begining to work in an office setting about a year after high school.  I've always loved tatoos and have wanted another for quite some time now and have decided on my back for the next one but haven't been able to figure out what it should be.  Lol, now I guess I know I'll at the very least be getting two more when I have reconstruction done, but that's not what I had in mind!

Ruth, I am soo sorry that you are having to deal with that!  It definitely limits your choices.  But after reading a lot of the posts on recon and failed nipple grafting, maybe just something really cool and personal is a better option than 3d tatooed nipples anyhow!  Why not make a statement with it instead of trying to appear normal!  Hmmm, maybe something that says F$$K on the right foob and Cancer on the left foob in a cool tribal type writing that only you really know how to read!

• alexandralucky13
    alexandralucky13 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2011

Hello ladies, new here, love this thread even more that the good support/advice found elsewhere on the site! Laughter heals...

You know...when after actually making some sense of the gzillionth obscure medical study you`ve read on the net, you start to think you missed your calling and would have made a fabulous doctor.

• tnbcRuth
    edited March 2011

Holly, you made me laugh out loud!  I was worried that an ankle tat would be too obvious at work (skirts and heels), so I had my Other Tat on the back of my neck. OH guess what???? My flipping hair fell out!  Now THAT tat is visible to the entire world....these 3 tats were my private tats and not put on for public viewing :(:(    Now most every doctor in Orlando has seen my titty tats (sorry, couldn't resist) and I had lots of 'splaining to do...(I'm not a stripper, etc)  And the rest of the world sees the back of my neck and then bolts around me to see exactly who is wearing this crazy thing!  The look on their faces is hysterical!  

Love your suggestion...really didin't have a plan, so now I can at least think about it. The tribal 'code' would be a riot!!!

Any other suggestions ladies?????? 

• alexandralucky13
    alexandralucky13 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2011

YKYACPW you wonder if the people at the gym notice you only have a sweat circle under one armpit...the other dry as a bone.