Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 929

A quiet day is planned here too after a busy Sunday including church activities then in the evening meeting family and friends at a local brewery to hear a tribute band.

Chicken on the grill with foil potatoes and maybe sauted swiss chard from our raised beds if the weather holds. Coastal weather is new to me...dark, rainy for ten minutes then sunny. Not really complaining.

Have a good Memorial day, rremembering those who sacrificed to provide it.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,697

was supposed to grill out today for the first time but it looks like with storms coming my way, I’ll be cooking inside instead.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088

Reader, you gave me Swiss chard envy. How wonderful to have it growing in the garden.

We ventured to Walmart where I found lovely small globe eggplants and bought three. Also very fresh looking broccoli.

I'm planning to make stewed chicken with the thighs thawing. Similar to fricasee but I grew up with the dish being called smothered chicken. May cook some rice. I have a hankering for potato salad but will make tossed salad.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,247
    edited May 27

Carole, Since DH got chicken and eggs as a perk of his job we ate almost nothing else when we were starting out. I had to find a way to make chicken every day of the week taste different so I was always on the lookout for recipes from other countries. Rain on the roof of the camper must be like the comforting sound of rain on a tin roof, one of the positive attributes of the old dwellings I lived in.

Eric, Great photo! Unfortunately indoor music venues are now off limits for my lungs but summer is coming.

Reader, I hope you were able to grill outside. Like m0mmy we are having a rainy afternoon and evening.

Dinner tonight was roast chicken breast with root vegetables. It’s not particularly seasonal but it used up my turnip and parsnips.

• clars
    clars Member Posts: 46

hi @maggie15 - thank you! I used fat free natural yoghurt. No butter. Worked really well!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited May 28

Thought I'd try to grill the salmon—but as soon as the grill got hot enough the thunder started and it began to rain, so I quickly turned off the burners. Quickly wiped out the skillet I used for the broccolini and did the salmon on the stovetop. Not looking forward to loading the dishwasher, doing the pans & knives by hand and rinsing out the cat food cans for recycling. (Not even going to think right now of emptying the Litter Genie).

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,383

I'm thawing the tail of one of my Pinks and will serve it with brown rice and broccoli.

• chisandy

Going out to a neighborhood BYO joint for steak. Everything—entrees & apps—comes with a mini-salad so no need to order a separate salad (unless Bob is willing to eat the whole thing).

• maggie15

Dinner tonight was the leftover baked chicken breast. I made some more potatoes since there were not many left.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 929

Caprese salad with garden basil with dinner instead of the planned Swiss chard. Before using it I wondered why it had spots on its leaves. Apparently some kind of fungus and too widespread to cut out. So on to plan B. At DH request we had 3 cheese tortellini with "Sunday gravy." All good.

Just been a bit irritated -- I love our little raised bed garden, but DH is just interested in planting, not maintaining or picking from a garden. I am inept so just pick and manage to use what I can. I hate the food waste we participate in via gardening and over-buying when people need food. OK done here, rant over. I always am working on ways to control both and need to consider it a life work😘

• chisandy

Went to All Meal Prep, shared shrimp cocktail, meatball app, and a 16-oz. ribeye with salad & roast potatoes. Tomorrow night is the Advocate Christ Hospital doctors' honors dinner—but instead of a banquet it'll be at Pinstripes, which is a combo bowling alley & arcade. Buffet first, ceremony, then games. Unfortunately, we'll split after the ceremony because Bob has an early Thursday morning (and Pinstripes is out in Oakbrook); I can't bowl anyway because I had a biopsy on my arm this morning and am supposed to avoid exercise & lifting anything heavy for 48 hrs. (I had a very small growth removed to determine whether it's an actinic keratosis or squamous cell carcinoma—if the latter, they found it pretty early).

• carolehalston

Reader, if I were your neighbor, I would gladly help you harvest your veggies in the raised bed. We won't have tomatoes and cucumbers and other garden veggies here until August unless they're grown in a greenhouse.

Dh did a good job searing the pork steak on the grill last night. I sauteed the rest of the asparagus and a yellow squash in butter.

• m0mmyof3

Might finally a night to use the grill

• wallycat

Reader, I feel the same about our raised beds. When DH planted so much, and was healthy enough to maintain it all, the garden produced so much that I felt obligated to use up everything we grew…even when I tossed bug-raddled veggies, I felt awful.

I'm making goat stew tonight. Our heat has still been on and I am just grateful we are closer to October before the swelter of summer.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,272

Sandy - hope it's benign. I have spots biopsied at least once a year and have had 5 MOHS surgeries. Best to catch them early so I have 15-20 places frozen every 6 months.

Eric - are you still wandering? What's your next port of call?

Wally - fingers crossed for a good doc report tomorrow.

The only thing I planted this year is mini-tomatoes. What with last week's storms and another one yesterday, the rain & wind have pretty much pounded them flat. I'll be lucky to end up with 2 or 3 small bushes but it's really already too hot for more flowers.

I have some kind of tummy pain so haven't eaten in 2 days. I believe today I'll try some chicken broth.

• wallycat

Minus, hope you feel better and thank you so kindly for thinking of me and my doctor-stress. I can't imagine she will tell me anything I don't know but it is just a Pavlovian response and I would do anything to stop this. I'm glad you survived your storms. It has sure been crazy weather.

Sandy, hopeful your growth is b-9.

• m0mmyof3

Got sandwiches from a deli we like.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

waly -hope your doc visit went ok today - also, happy belated birthday - as I read back I realized I missed it!

minus - hope your tummy pain goes away - that stinks! DH has been having some lower back/flank pain and went to his primary care last week. We just looked at his labs yesterday, and there are a number of red flags. His doc is out this week so I am hoping we get some info before I leave town.

I am starting to think about my trip to CA - I leave in a week. Packing strategically as I try to take carry-on only, but this is a long-ish trip and I won't have access to a washer/dryer until the last 5 days. Also have to take my reunion outfit that won't be worn again during the trip and will be taking up precious space, lol! It is pretty squishable and so are the shoes and small clutch, so not too bad.

DD is en route to CA for a wedding. I will be taking care of her menagerie of chickens, a small parrot, fish, and three cats until Sunday. I wish her house was not 30 mins away…

maggie - we were indeed happy and satisfied with our piglet raising job, and we are so very happy with their new home where they are being spoiled just like we would be doing, lol! They are pretty cute and were easy to get attached to!

Dinner tonight is chicken breasts roasted in the oven with broccoli and French onion rice. I just read a recipe for oven roasted Caesar style broccoli, so I may try that. You roast the broccoli partially, then toss in Caesar dressing, continue roasting until done, then top with toasted panko and parm.

• maggie15

Special, That broccoli recipe sounds delicious. It’s hard to pack light when you have a special event to attend.

Wally, I hope your medical appointment is uneventful and your cooler weather lasts.

Sandy, Here’s hoping for a benign biopsy report.

Minus, I’m sorry your stomach has been bothering you. Chicken broth is often helpful.

I survived my marathon drive today which included an unexpected trip to VT to get additional eyedrops prescribed at DH’s cataract surgery follow-up not available locally. I made lasagna at 7 AM for him and my son who came from NYC to stay with him. Hopefully the third time’s the charm and the tracer will make it to Boston tomorrow. I had a piece of lasagna at 3:30 and ice cream at 8:30 so I don’t know which counts as dinner.

• minustwo

Special - always great to hear from you. I assume this is your yearly "girls" trip to CA. Hope you have a ball. I agree - the broccoli sounds delicious.

Now we just have to hear from Nance…….

Hope you can sleep this weekend Maggie and don't have lots of responsibilities.

• m0mmyof3

Thinking of making kielbasa or something quick for dinner

• carolehalston

I made my eggplant lasagna yesterday afternoon and heated it in the grill/oven out on the deck. I didn't cover the pan and really liked the result. Side was tossed salad. Leftovers for another meal.

Have fun on your CA trip, Special.

Hope your dr. visit is calming, Wally.

I also would like Nance to check in. Hoping she isn't in a lot of pain.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

I too am worried about auntienance - it has been a minute since she checked in.

DH managed to disappear right as soon as I put the broccoli in the oven to roast. Our neighbor came to the door and asked if we had some rope - he was doing some tree trimming and a branch got stuck so DH went down to their house with him and ended up helping for about 15 mins. I get why he went - this is a gentleman who should not be on a ladder with a saw by himself. Since I was not sure when he was coming back I decided to leave the broccoli with just lemon olive oil, lemon pepper, and house seasoning. Worked out fine. When I make the Caesar one I will report in.

minus - I am going to my 50th high school reunion in Los Angeles and visiting people in the greater LA area for the weekend, driving up the coast to visit folks (former professor from college, old college roommate who is now a professor there as well, and another old college roommate), ending in Sacramento for a few days with my BFF. She lives right down the street from a branch of Boudin Bakery - should I mail you a package?

carole - thanks! I am starting to figure out what I am taking and getting things ready around the house to leave DH to his own devices for 12 days, with the cat!

mommy - I make kielbasa often, but have mostly switched to a turkey variety. I have found I can utilize a variety of additions to make it different - sometimes I do onions and BBQ sauce and serve over brown rice, and sometimes I do it like stir fry with lots of veggies over fried rice. It is quick to make and I usually have usable stuff on hand! I hope yours is good!

• chisandy

The Eternal giveth and also taketh away. Biopsy path confirmed a small compound squamous cell ca with "viral verrucous" features (aka a wart). No topical chemo or Mohs necessary, just a wide excision & a suture, and I'll take the next appt. I can get. Not worried, as this ain't my first rodeo. Then the divine "gift:" you know who's guilty verdict. (So on balance, still chilling bubbly).

Last night went to the Christ Hosp. awards dinner at Pinstripes, where Bob was honored for 40 years of service. Buffet included Caprese skewers, plain & Caesar salads, grilled pesto chicken breast, grilled veg. risotto, meatballs, and ravioli marinara. I had one of each (Caesar, no croutons; the grilled veggies and only the little bit of risotto sticking to them, a small meatball and the smallest raviolo I could find). They had brownies & cookies, which looked like nuts & bolts to me. I noticed one of our friends (wife of Bob's ex-PCP) was eating only the plain salad, chicken breast and tomato slices—we both drank seltzer. I bet she's on a GLP-1 med too but I didn't ask.

Tonight, surf & turf: Tues. night's leftover steak & spuds, seared diver scallops, ramps & grilled asparagus. Maybe also a Caprese or at least a tomato-basil salad. I might also have some of the leftover lentils from Mon. night.

• maggie15

Sandy, I’m sorry they found squamous cells but it’s good that the treatment doesn’t involve chemo or Mohs. Congratulations to Bob on his service recognition.

Carole, It’s amazing how making small changes in the cooking method can improve the results.

m0mmy, I’ve cooked turkey kielbasa on the stovetop with boxed potatoes au gratin with the recommended liquids and a variety of veggies. It was surprisingly good.

I finally had the PET scan this evening even though I had to wait for the courier bringing the tracer to make it through the traffic jams. The tech took one look at my tiny veins and told me she was going to use pediatric equipment and extra infusion time for my IV. It worked much better than being repeatedly jabbed or waiting for an IV nurse to arrive. I even got a wrap bandage with smiling bees on it which came with the kit. What an awesome idea!

Dinner tonight was a chicken wrap from the 24/7 coffee shop. I skipped the coffee.

• minustwo

Special - sounds like a great trip. A for Boudin's - just eat an extra loaf for me and don't worry about the pounds.

Maggie - I always ask for pediatric needles. They work great.

I think I have Nance's email somewhere. I'll try to dig it out and touch base.

• carolehalston

Last night's dinner was mashed potato salad, room temperature, and hot dogs for dh and a leftover chicken thigh with gravy and brown rice for me.

Tonight will be leftover eggplant lasagne and tossed salad.

• wallycat

We had the leftover goat stew last night..YUM! No idea what today will be…either chilaquilles or copper river salmon, if there are any available. They're "on sale" for $16/pound. We'll be heading to Costco on June 9th for DH's hearing aid followup, so maybe I'll find some there.

Doc appointment went beautifully. Of her own accord, she said no genetic test and followups, annually. I told her I had a speech all ready to decline the 6 month followups…we smiled.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,119

We're home. We drove 1510 miles in two days…I think Sharon was anxious to get home. We joke about the noise that the car tires make as they cross the cattle guard about 100 yards before we turn into our driveway and will attempt to imitate the noise….."brrp brrp". :-)

Sandy, I'm glad that the skin cancer can be "excised" with no further ado.

Special, have fun at the 50th reunion.

Our friends were house sitting while we were gone, and it's getting close to lunchtime, so I better get back to being a good host. :-)

• carolehalston

Welcome home, Eric!