Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,247

Eric, That's a lot of driving for two days but, as they say, "There's no place like home." Your imitation of vehicle tires crossing a cattle guard sounds right to me.

Wally, Graduating to yearly followups is cause for celebration.

Carole, I had never heard of mashed potato salad but I found many recipes for it.

Since I was on my own in Boston I took a detour to Legal Seafood and had a bowl of clam chowder for lunch. It made all the driving worthwhile. Dinner was steak and summer squash.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,383
    edited June 1

Maggie, I had been on the 1 year plan but my onco retired and our first meet/greet was met with the genetic testing and 6 month followup, which I had worked into a speech to say NO. Didn't have to…so hope it stays that way. I think the constant monitoring takes more toll on my health than the actual stuff they are watching, LOL.

Welcome back home, safe and sound, Eric.

I ended up making copper river…made a paste/sauce of mayo, white-miso, a pinch of cayenne, fresh crushed garlic clove, a little lemon juice and slathered the fish. Perfection. Makes me want to move to Alaska and catch freezer fulls of this stuff. Served with spinach, sweet potato and some sauteed Maitake and Lion's Mane mushrooms.

Minus, I hope your stomach is feeling better. I know there's a lot of stuff going around.

• wallycat

We went out for DH's 84th b-day (tomorrow is the official date) (did take-out)…a BBQ joint with pulled pork, slaw, brisket, blah, blah. Ate too much and loved every minute of it. Enjoying prosecco for his celebration. THRILLED to get another year with him, especially with his dx.

• maggie15

Wally, The surveillance is stressful. I tell myself that monitoring is better than treatment and I'm helping to keep the scan techs employed. It would be wonderful if you could spend some time in Alaska fishing, eating your catch and enjoying cool summer weather. While all the daylight in summer is great the dark winters are even worse than those in Scotland so I wouldn't want to be there then. I’m glad you and your DH enjoyed his birthday meal.

Carole, I hope you had a successful farmer's market day.

Dinner tonight was steak, mushrooms and red pepper in Alfredo sauce over noodles.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

And the Lord sayeth, "here, hold my beer."

I'm gonna be offline for awhile—early this morning we were awakened by the smell of smoke (the detectors didn't work, despite fresh batteries). I was in scrubs & rubber sandals, Bob was in his undies & barefoot. By the time he hung up with 911, the sirens were already blaring—we live 2 bl. from the fire station. 3 engines, all the neighbors were out (they were preparing for a yard sale that got rained out). House is still standing, everything intact except for the roof (they punched a hole to vent the smoke), the rear of the kitchen and the rear of the basement. But it's uninhabitable for an indeterminate length of time due to smoke smell. We packed up the cats and whatever we could manage and are in a suburban hotel for the next week & a half and then a long-stay suite hotel in River North till mid-July. After that, State Farm will look for a temporary house, townhouse or large apt. They estimate the repairs, de-odorizing, and repainting could take through December. 

It started in an outlet on the rear wall of the kitchen—it was old & ungrounded (was not replaced in the 1989 re-wire) , and the flames went down into the basement. The CFD put it out fairly quickly. So Bob & I and the kitties are holed up in a 2-bed room for the time being. They still smell of smoke, and the wipes I bought from Petsmart are not getting the stench out. They've just started grooming themselves, though they are eating, drinking, and excreting quite well. They are supremely bored—we did have to buy them a new cardboard scratcher (the ones we packed were smoky) and ball-track toy.

Amazing how much you think you brought with you at a time like this, but how much more you have to buy—all my OTC meds (we grabbed the strongbox with the Rx stuff and put the Mounjaro into an insulated bag with ice packs), all my makeup, all but one pair of pants each (Bob couldn't find long enough ones at Target tonight—we'll try Costco tomorrow), and whatever the laundry service dropped off last night, still in plastic bags. We are going to have to buy stock in the makers of Febreze. I did bring my computer and all my iPads & chargers; Bob brought one computer but still has to go back tomorrow and grab the office computer and the new laptop he's never used. We spent a bundle at Petsmart & Target (and since the hotel has no restaurant, just breakfast, we dined at Outback tonight—first thing we ate all day). I went to bed at 3am Fri night and we were out in the street by 6am—so "exhausted" doesn't even begin to cover it. Bob got to bed at 11pm and I had to wake him. He's snoring away to beat the band right now.

We move downtown the day after my excision surgery—and moving day is also the day of my mammogram. Lots of rescheduling, rearranging (mail, utilities, prescriptions, etc.) in order. State Farm, its restoration and temp housing contractors, and the Red Cross have been wonderful, as have our neighbors. 

Might check in once in a blue moon if I have a moment to spare. Oh, and our HK made it down to B'ham today—we were talking while she was pulling out of Louisville.

Catch you later—in everyone's pockets (espec. Betrayal & Puffin) for upcoming med stuff.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088

Last night's dinner was baby back ribs finished with barbecue sauce on the grill. Side was cole slaw with hand slivered cabbage.

Sandy, I reacted to your awful but fortunate situation on another forum. I hope you will still be able to check in.

Yesterday's farmer's market was sunny and windy but the tent didn't blow away and we had some customers. There weren't as many people browsing as last Saturday. We heard there were other events in two towns not so far away.

• maggie15

Sandy, I'm glad you, Bob and the cats are safe but so sorry you have to deal with this huge disruption in your lives. I hope you get settled as soon as possible and restoration work goes smoothly and quickly. Keep in touch as you can.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,119

That is scary. I'm glad you woke up in time to call CFD and get out with the kitties.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,272

Sandy - glad you are safe. My parents house built in 1905 had a fire in the basement. Mostly smoke & water damage, but not habitable. The fire restoration people are amazing - even with books. Whoever said on another thread that you need to be there regularly was correct. We insisted everything was refinished to the same standards & it was every bit of a year.

Wally - Happy 84th to your DH. Sorry not to respond everyone else but I am reading. And I did send an email to Nance.

My gut is still bothering me so I'm on a modified BRAT diet. Lost 9 lbs but it's a hard way to do it. Strangely I haven't really been hungry, but everyone's descriptions of lovely meals are starting to sound tempting.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

eric - glad you're home safely - that was a couple of long driving days!

wally - happy birthday to your DH!

maggie - yay for chowder! DD and beau (whose actual name is Kyle) are at a wedding this weekend and a bunch of his Army buddies are also there. They call him Rob, part of his last name, because the groom's brother is also Kyle. At the rehearsal dinner everyone ordered salad, but he ordered chowder. So all during the wedding they called him "chowder Rob" which DD was not in favor of, lol!

chisandy - oh my gosh! I am so glad you and DH and kitties all got out safely! That is the important part, but what a giant hassle for you in the coming months! I am so sorry! My parents had two kitchen fires but neither displaced them for very long. They didn't have a functioning kitchen, but the rest of the house was ok to live in after the mess was cleaned up from all the water and ash. Even if you are not posting please know we will be thinking of you and yours!

• wallycat

Minus, hope you feel better soon. And thank you for DH's salutation.

Sandy, yikes!! I was just thinking the kitties will finally have a forever home and establish territory…poor guys, no luck that way. Glad everyone is safe.

I'm going to shred up the leftover copper river and make an asian sauce with udon noodles, asparagus and shiitake for tonight.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 550

@chisandy, in your pocket with support. I am so glad you and your DH (and vip kitties) were not hurt. The next days will be very busy for you - it is good that accommodation is sorted - that will be at least one thing you don't have to worry about.

• specialk

minus - I am a little worried about you! Have you talked to your primary care about the tummy issues?

• maggie15

Carole, I’m glad your tent survived the wind and you had customers.

Minus, An upset stomach is not the recommended way to lose weight. I hope things improve and you are able to keep some food down.

Special, I could accurately be called chowder Maggie. When I was growing up we would go clamming and quahoging in waters that are now off limits whenever there was a good low tide. One New Year’s Day was the lowest tide off the year so we were out with our rakes and pails even though it was in the single digits and the waves turned to slush on the beach. When I went to school the next day everyone thought I had spent my vacation in Florida mistaking my windburn for sunburn.

Dinner tonight was pad Thai takeout since I’m back in Boston.

• minustwo

Special - yes to consulting the PCP & the GI doc, but thanks for asking. The "expert" advice was 'monitor' or go to the ER. So after 10 days, I decided to eat my regular two pieces of dark chocolate ganache hearts last night. Didn't seem to make any difference and YUMMMMM. Otherwise beef consomme this afternoon and lemon jello tonight.

Maggie - love the clamming story.

Wally - like the salmon, udon, asparagus, shiitake combo. A meal after my own heart.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,697

Eric,

glad you are home. Your trek home sounds a lot like hubby’s and my treks to Wisconsin! It’s 1300 miles long! Hopefully when our house finally sells, that trek will be our last for a while. We usually do it in 2 days but the moving trek will be done in 3 days, no need to rush it!

Gonna marinate chicken in Italian dressing for dinner tonight.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,119

Lost the post.

We had spaghetti with home made sauce last night for dinner.

This morning, while I was installing a flag pole, I noticed two (!?) ambulances, with emergency lights on, pull into the next door neighbor's house. The man, in his mid 80s, has congestive heart failure and his wife is in her early 80s.

About 15 minutes later, both ambulances left, with no emergency lights, followed by a sheriff dept vehicle, and a private automobile. I'm hoping everything is okay, but I have a bad feeling about things. No one is home and the house is about 1/2 mile away, so I couldn't "eavesdrop".

• maggie15

Eric, I hope your neighbors are okay but those events seem suspicious.

Minus, I hope you are able to eat more. Chocolate always makes me feel better (triggers endorphins) even though it is probably not recommended for upset stomachs.

Lunch was Legal Seafood clam chowder for the second time in a week. Dinner tonight was chicken and asparagus in a wine and cream sauce.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 929

Minus, I do hope you feel better soon and echo the "might as well eat chocolate..." practice.

I made a repeat DH likes -- Turkey stuffed red and yellow peppers fajita style. We got a homemade french baguette at a new place yesterday so I added that, with canteloupe for desert.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

Korean BBQ Sunday night; seared grouper with veg last night at Regalia. Nowhere to cook till we move to the Homewood Suites late next week (it has a kitchenette), so we're dining out every night (except for nuking leftovers in the hotel room).

• carolehalston

We went to nearby Clancy's Restaurant last night, using the golf cart for transportation. Didn't encounter a vehicle going or returning home. DH ordered the meatloaf Monday special and enjoyed every bite. I tasted the meatloaf and agreed that it is very good. I had a side salad and an order of walleye "bites," small pieces battered and deep fried and served with a tartar sauce that was more sweet than tart.

Maggie, is your dh with you in Boston?

Eric, your neighbors are in our age category. Hope they're ok.

Minus, I'm concerned about your stomach issues. Maybe a checkup a gastro doctor?

I went to the gym yesterday and paid for a 3 month summer membership for the two of us. The gym overcharges the summer members because they can. They have no competition.

• wallycat

I used to love visiting DH at the homestead suites (is it the same as the homewood?), when he traveled a lot…especially when it was near Napa Valley!

I'm making a pumpkin coconut spinach shrimp curry tonight.

• maggie15

Carole, I went to Boston alone this time since my daughter came up from NYC to keep DH on track with his post cataract surgery eyedrops and eye shield. That meant I could detour to Legal Seafood. It's too bad that you get stuck with the seasonal gym membership rates.

Sandy, The Homewood Suites are what we always try to stay in when travelling. In addition to the full kitchen the bedroom is usually a separate room and they have a decent free hot breakfast.

Wally, That curry combination sounds delicious.

Dinner tonight was sausage/ground beef meatballs in marinara sauce. I had no Rao’s so I made my own.

• lynn_2024
    lynn_2024 Member Posts: 6

Recovering from left mastectomy a week ago. Enjoyed 7 layer bean dip with chips that a thoughtful neighbor dropped off. Beans, guacamole, sour cream mixed with taco seasoning topped with Mexican white cheese, tomatoes, olives and green onions! Delicious,

• specialk

lynn - welcome to the kitchen table, the 7 layer dip (love it, a classic!) sounds yummy! Hope you are doing well after surgery, and yay for nice neighbors!

• wallycat

Maggie, my sister made this and told me about it. I used to make Martha Stewart's pumpkin enchilada sauce and LOVED it, so it wasn't hard to convince me to try it. Really easy and delicious. I added spinach and red onions and shrimp; she used just shrimp and chicken but it is basically Green thai curry paste, coconut milk and a can of pumpkin with the other ingredients. YUM. I put it over red rice.

Minus, any improvements for your tummy (I hope!)?

Super windy here but sadly, the 50s will be leaving me and I will go from heat to a/c…we may hit 69 in the next few days.

Hope everyone is doing well and the weather isn't too bad anywhere.

• minustwo

Lyn - welcome. Hope you're recovery is easy and you'll continue to join us.

Thanks to everyone for asking about my gut. Seems to be slowly recovering. Trying Bailey's Irish Cream tonight after Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup. In fact, I think I'll have two.

Wally - oh my, 69…. Carole - what are your temps up to in the North Country? Today was 95 again - and humid. But I did manage to get some serious weeds dug out of the lawn shortly before dark.

Special - what's happening with your Colorado property? If I remember, you have to design & build a house? Or was there already living quarters?

• carolehalston

Minus, we're running the heat pump this morning. It's in the 50's outside but will warm up to high 60's. We've had several days in the 70's. Frequent rain, usually light rain. Sleeping has been good with the cool or cold nights.

Welcome, Lynn. I like that 7 layer dip but preferably without the green onions. I had bilateral mastectomies in 2009 and our neighbors brought us dinner for a week. DH loved the variety and the mystery. What will our dinner be tonight?

None was like last night's dinner, an odd assortment of foods but good. A store-made brat cooked in a skillet, fresh beets sprinkled with wine vinegar, broccoli salad. Instead of just mayo I dressed the broccoli salad with a combination of mayo, honey, mustard and vinegar. A little heavy on the honey.

The beets were pricey at the farmers market but so delicious. Worth the $$.

Minus, glad you're feeling better. Do you know what brought on the upset stomach? My guess is onions. LOL.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,697

making hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes

• minustwo

Carole - Onions - LOL. No idea but hopefully the problem seems to be resolved. So I had onions in my fried rice today. I always forget about beets. I really do like them, but my Mother never cooked them for some reason. (given the generation, probably because my Dad didn't like them?)