Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• bgirl
    bgirl Member Posts: 435
    edited May 2012

Sometimes think about onco score.  Hope that when the big tailorx results come out in a couple of years that they haven't changed their minds about what scores are.  Also no info on how old the people were that they took tissue samples from to develop it.  Hope it applies to younger women accurately.  Since we are not in the majority of post meno BC.

Eema - good luck with tests and disability.  You deserve both some peace and peace of mind.

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited May 2012

Well, PCP through a curve at me.  I have hypercalcimia--high calcium, which is almost always caused by a parathyroid tumor.  Or breast cancer.  I had a blood test and we go from there...

I'm going to bed.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2012

Debbie.. a micromet is nodal involvement at th microscopic level. If cancer in the nodes is less than .2mm it is considered node negative (isolated tumor cells); cancer that is between .2mm and 2mm is a micromet; larger than 2mm is a macromet.

Jamie.. I will have a tweaking surgery in January, so October is just an appt... and some fun!!!

• momx3
    momx3 Member Posts: 126
    edited May 2012

Thank Betsy. I'm not sure what I was except node pos.

OMG!!! Almost 12, time for BED!!! I've been working on my "new at home" job and was trying to fix my wireles printer.. Printer done, having doc sizing issues. LEARNING time :D

Nite ALL... PS<

WHACK!!!!!!

• momx3
    edited May 2012

OK<<<  Just an idea to add some FUN!!!

Someone can ask a question everyday so we can learn a new thing about each other :)

First QoD<<<< What is one GOOD thing that has changed since this all started ???

I am now in charge of feeding the birds and I LOVE seeing the moms taking care of the babies!!!!

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited May 2012

I've had several good things happen to me since my dx, and Debbie I needed that reminder today.  I go for tumor marker results today, my stomach is turning I must admit, probably cause I have to get on a scale!

A good thing ~ I have really started to take pictures. Didn't know how much I would enjoy that - and I met these awesome, wonderful, online friends - who knew you could have internet friends that are so good to you? 

• sagina
    edited May 2012

Oh and thank you Betsy for the oncotype information.  I just thought cause my tumor was darn big I would bet the full treatment no matter what! lol

• JulieLynn
    JulieLynn Member Posts: 86
    edited May 2012

Debbie - Great idea!  For me, besides finding great new friends, not just online but in chemo too, one of the best things is cutting back on work permanently.  I was working 60+ hours a week and saying for years I was going to cut back but was always worried out how it would effect us financially.  I finally did it - I'm loving slowing down and actually enjoying things instead of always worrying about how much work was piling up!  Yes, I've had to cut way back on my shopping and our eating out but we're doing fine with the transition and it's definitely been worth it!!  :)  OH, and probably the most important thing....I've been able to spend a lot more time with my mom!

• momx3
    edited May 2012

Gina, my tumor was also big and my breast & nipple were deforming. After trying to let it shrink on the Tamox, it exploded instead leading to my BMX.

Before my onco results, I was headed for chemo. So it can save you, but it leaves that question in my mind.... Where else has it gone since I was node positive.

ALSO good thing..... My husband had been awesome and I have really come to rely on him AND sometimes not try to do everything myself....LOL. not really in my personality!!!  

• momx3
    edited May 2012

I just figured out what  a MAXI wasLaughing.  I can't copy & paste (that stinks) BUT go to    www.nomorerack.com/events/view/186

They have them on sale. It's actually a really cool website!!!

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

The best thing that has happened to me since Dx is that my daughter (who was going thru a rebellious stage) has "come back to me."...

• bgirl
    bgirl Member Posts: 435
    edited May 2012

I always had a good realtionship with my daughters, but I have formed a very close bond with my youngest the last 8 months.  It is really nice as she will be heading off to university in Sept.

• SheriBell
    SheriBell Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2012

I also just cut back for the first time on work.  I've been working since I have been 16.  Currently I have been a sales manager - I just resigned - last day is on the 11th of June.  I am stepping down and focusing on my family.  I don't think I have been a great mom because I was always focused on working.   My new "mommy" job is a receptionist in a dental office - never done anything like that before but sounds fun and easy!

• blueyez
    blueyez Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2012

Hey all!  Been a little while again. Just put my house on the market.  I love this house, but I think its time for a change.  Wish me luck ladies!  

Good luck today ProfBee on the new nipples! (lol! only here!)

Great idea Debbie! I have learned to let go of the not so important things.  I am definitely a Type A personality and I've learned that all the little things don't really matter.  I spend more time enjoying my kids ( I have 2, son 11 and daughter 10).  Also, talking about pictures, I really hate to have mine taken, but have definitely made an effort to be front in center when pics are taken, just in case. 

I had the Oncotype DX and had good numbers and didn't need chemo.  The test checks the dna of the cancer and your genes and grades it number wise in likelihood for reoccurrence.  Thankfully my numbers were good and no chemo, but I was Stage 1 with no node involvement, so I was very lucky on that end.  Unfortunately I did have Stage 1 in both breast, so opted for a double mastectomy with reconstruction.  I definitely worry sometimes that maybe I should've just done the chemo just to be safe, but was told it only decreased chance of reoccurrence by 2% for me or some ridiculously small amount so I decided I was ok with it and what will be will be.  Trying to live a clean healthy life and am hoping for the best.

Sheribell good for you!!  I too have been working continually since I was in my teens (babysitting since 12) so I completely understand the need for a break.  I had just gotten laid off (not great but blessing in disguise) prior to my diagnosis but went back to work this February and am loving it!

Good luck Gina! (((((Sending all my best and warmest thoughts your way with a cyber hug!))))

((((Eema, big hugs too you too!  Praying for you!)))

Have a great night everyone!!

love and hugs,

tracy

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited May 2012

Great idea Debbie!!!

I would have to say that two good things I have experienced is learning what is really important (i.e. - not workiing all the time with no fun) and the whole "journey" has really strengthened the bond between hubby and I. 

• Kelleyod
    Kelleyod Member Posts: 125
    edited May 2012

Hello ladies . . . . May I join you here? 43 at diagnosis and currently 44 . . . . Three fun kids - 3, 7, and 13 . . They are inspiring and Amazing me daily! Just had hysterectomy 3 weeks ago with stage 2 of reconstruction - was supposed to be nipples however the left foob really needed some help sooooo it was a revision and nipples will wait until August. Couple weeks into arimedex .... Woo hoo!

I love the inclusive feel of your forum and the support you lend each other!

Eema - lots of prayers coming your way! Take the disability and get feeling better!

Hope you all are enjoying your Wednesday!

KelleyD

• chantal10
    chantal10 Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2012

I'm grateful for the women in my life that make me laugh. I think I'm learning to not take myself so seriously and that feels good. I'm proud of myself for interviewing and choosing doctors that I trusted in to remove my breasts, the cancer and help create the new ones. I'm my team leader, hear me roar! Trying to stay in the moment, be more patient and humble. I'm happy to help where I can.

I made a consultation appt to see a 3d nipple tattoo artist on june 12. Yay! Her name is Ruth Swissa if anyone wants to look her up one day.

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited May 2012

Hi girls. Had to pop on to say hope proofb is doing well after surgery. Also Gina hope your tests were good and you too Eema. Thinking of you as well Chistine

welcome Kelley. This is the best group of ladies you will ever find. Look forward to getting to know you

lots of good things since dx. You girls...no more sweating small stuff,really enjoy my family and laughing...much more laid back now.

Speaking of which. We are still in Florida. It is 7am and the tide is in the sun is shining the birds are happy. I have been trying to catch a doggone red fish with no luck so far dh caught a really big one.

Anyway. Thinking of you girls. I would try to touch each subject but I am on cell phone. See you soon girls. Hugs to all

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited May 2012

Ps.....happy birthday Dixiebell. Birthdays ARE great!!!!!

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited May 2012

Aw, Kim.  You're too sweet.  Yeah, the nip surgery was nothing.  I don't even need a tylenol.  I'm wrapped up and have to do the silly plastic wrap thing before I shower...which I HATE.  Get this, I get there, and the paperwork said I'm getting a totally different surgery.  They were like, one nipple, a lift, and a port removal....I was like...NOPE...2 nips, please!  Man, did my doc seem like someone was going to get into trouble over that one. 

I can't really see them since they're wrapped up in these cup things.  So silly.  And now I have another wacky velcro bra.  (There must be someplace to donate these things!  

Thanks for all the good wishes.  I'm taking today off (well, as off as one can take when you have a 5-year-old!)

Love,

C

• blueyez
    edited May 2012

So glad to hear everything went well Prof!!  Warning, they do look really long after surgery, but they do shrink down.  Enjoy your day with your son, what great weather here in the northeast. 

Off to work, figured I had a minute to check in.  Was talking with someone today about initial diagnosis and got very choked up, usually I'm not like that.  I usually laugh and try to make light of everything but today was hard reflecting back to those first days!  What a struggle.  I think of how far I've come in the last year, crazy!  I guess getting close to my one year cancerversary is making me more emotional. 

love and hugs,

tracy

• momx3
    edited May 2012

I wish we had a "like" button!!!!!

SO<    "Like" on Tracy!!!

• Kelleyod
    Kelleyod Member Posts: 125
    edited June 2012

Thanks for the welcome Kim! I need this fun crew.... Good luck with that fish, hope you didn't get too much rain!

Prof bee - cant wait to hear details on the headlights..... I am waiting for August for mine....

Tracy .... Wow - one year is coming! This is great. I saw a pic of myself last August --- was diagnosed in September and I thought, "I am not the same person I was then....". I can relate to the emotions....

Hope you all are having great days ..... Thanks for taking another survivor into the lifeboat!

Kelleyod

• blueyez
    edited June 2012

Kelleyod sorry you have to join us but welcome!! Totally agree, I have pictures from a cruise we went on last year and I often think, geez I probably wouldn't be smiling if I knew what was coming!  Time goes by so quickly (thankfully) and it definitely gets easier. 

Thanks Momx3, LIKE right back at you ;)

Up early today trying to get things done before the kids are up and moving.  Looks like its gonna be a great day out there!

Have a great Friday everyone!!

love and hugs,

tracy

• sagina
    edited June 2012

Tumor marker blood test - good to go!  Having an MRI just to get a day off - not! Will have to be medicated for that one.

Hi Tracy thanks for the hug!

Hi Kelley!  Welcome to the group - a fantastic group of women if I so say myself!

Profbee glad you are pain free!

Kim enjoy the water and the sunrises!

Debbie, my tumor sat on my chest wall, but I had this golf ball thing sticking out of me, seemed like one day to the next.  The BS said it was like the pea under the mattress.  The tumor was pushing up the other tissue.... 

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

I am watching the news and they just did a segment on TDM1, an antibody drug... anybody on it or hear of it?? They say its great for Her2+ and kills the cancer but doesn't attack the body.

• blueyez
    edited June 2012

Yes I just saw the same things on the news.  They said it was a chemotherapy that only attacked the cancer cells and left the healthy cells alone.  Very interesting.  Study out of Duke University I think it was.  Another thing to add to the list to talk to the oncologist about.

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

I think its for the HER2+... right?? My friend sent me an article about this a couple of weeks ago, but I am Her2 - so I forgot.

• blueyez
    edited June 2012

Not sure what they allow for links on here, but here is a link to the news clip:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp=47653323&#47653323 

Hopefully it works.

• blueyez
    edited June 2012

Betsy, yes I believe it's for HER+.

Getting ready to have another fundraiser for my Relay for Life.  Big yard sale this weekend at my friend Theresa's house.  Hopefully the rain will be gone in the morning and we'll get through before it makes another appearance.  Trying to get to $5,000 in our fundraising efforts, wish me luck!

Have a great weekend ladies! 

love and hugs,

tracy