Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Comments

• onetitwonder
    onetitwonder Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2013

Thanks for thinking of me. Lumpectomy has been my choice all along. I am so not up to the recovery of anything past that. I am tired. Was diagnosed April 26. Tests. Tests. And more tests. 8 weeks later and. I still have f cancer. Anxious about the final path report. And then denied brca testing by aetna yikes. 54 and adopted and I have no right to know. I wish I would be able to fight harder for me.

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited June 2013

If you're looking for another surgeon in the Princeton area, I was very happy with Dr.  Rachel Dultz.  Have also heard good things about Dr. Susan McManus mentioned by others - they seem to be the two to go to around here.

• onetitwonder
    edited June 2013

Any news on Dr Gleason. Recommended by my primary care.

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited June 2013

I went into Philly - Dr. Schwartz was my BS, but he's retiring. PS is Dr. Graeney at Jefferson Plastic surgery. I'm really, really pleased (except I think my implants are a little too big, but I suppose that's a minor gripe all things considered).

Have you gone to the Breast Cancer Resource Center in Princeton? They have great programs. I'm not sure how old you are - I go to the Young Survivors Coalition meetings. Next one is this Wednesday. And there are other support groups there as well.

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited June 2013

I went three months between finding my lump and my bmx. That's one reason I looked around after seeing Dultz - I didn't feel like she was moving quickly enough. But in the end, the scheduling at the new place took longer than I hoped anyway. I was told that there's a 'window' of three months during which the outcome doesn't change, but that will always haunt me. Part of it's my fault - I waited 2 weeks to see my dr about the lump because it appeared one week after I had just seen him. Then Dultz didn't have an opening until 2 weeks after my mammo/us. I wish I had asked for another reference just to get in and see someone sooner.

I didn't mind going into Philly - much less hassle than NY, which is where a lot of woman go as well.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited June 2013

I used MacManus and have only good things to say, 5 years out and clear.  I did need 3 lumpies to get all the DCIS and at one point asked her if I should do a mastectomy.  She said no, I can get it!  and so far, she was right

course my 5 year mamo is on Friday so hoping for a good report then

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2013

McManus is all about breast preservation... Even wanted my friend to have a lumpectomy with her second BC diagnosis and BRCA positive... I am a patient of McManus, but chose to have the MX... She didn't debate it with me, just not her recommendation.

• Robin-Lynn
    Robin-Lynn Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013

Doglover, I too was concerned about the effects on the heart from the Adriamycin. Your Onc will probably order a Muga scan which looks at the function of your heart to make sure it's good before you start. I plan to see a cardiologist after treatment to check my heart.

Robin Lynn

• Robin-Lynn
    Robin-Lynn Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013

I used Rachel Dultz (happy with her) and had 2nd opinion from McManus (liked her as well) and CINJ. Needed 2nd lumpectomy after first did not get clear margins. I had a choice of a mastectomy versus lumpectomy because there was concern about the amount and location of breast tissue that would be taken out. That breast is now much smaller and needed some reconstruction; I will need a reduction in the other one. It is a tough decision!

I agree with Rachelvk - the Breast Cancer Resource Center in Princeton – part of the YWCA – is a great place. I was part of a newly diagnosed support group and they have another one beginning in mid July. Laura Martin is the Cordinator of the center and is a great resource to call.

• proudtospin
    edited June 2013

By the way, my personnel trainer is in work on an exercise program with CINJ to offer an exercise companent as part of treatment for Cancer.  It is part of his PHD program.  I am not sure on how it would be coordinated but it has been exciting to me to think that this may be more routine in the future.  I kept on with my gym stuff during and after treatment but know not all do.

I think we are all fortunate to live in an area with so many really fine medical centers and doctors to chose from

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited August 2013

On October 6 I'm participating in the Race for the Cure and would love it if anyone is in the area if they would join me. I would love to be able to add pictures to my race page for next year of my BCO sister warriors. Here is the link:

http://www.komencsnj.org/goto/breastamigas

• Annette47
    edited August 2013

Karen - I am hoping to run the Race for the Cure this year, too.    My daughter has a gymnastics meet that day, so it will depend a bit on if I can make arrangements for her.   I ran it last year, never realizing that just a few weeks after, I would be diagnosed myself!

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited August 2013

Annette - I walked my second Avon 2 Day in October of 2011, and a month and a half later I was diagnosed for the second time.  

• KarenZ0305
    edited August 2013

Annette that is so funny last year I wanted to do it but my daughter had a gymnastic event too! What gym is she at?

• Annette47
    edited August 2013

She is with Future Stars (in Hamilton township).   They are very small but produce some really good gymnasts!   Where does your daughter compete?

• KarenZ0305
    edited August 2013

OMG! We are so close! My in laws live in Hamilton. I am in Monroe.

She competes with Freehold Gymnastics Club. She was on Joga now she's on USAIGC.

• Annette47
    edited August 2013

We are close!   What level does she do?   My daughter is going to compete Level 4 (was called Level 5 last year) USAG - she's actually repeating the level but felt like she struggled a bit last year, so wanted to try and get more confidence before moving up.   She's 10, by the way.

• KarenZ0305
    edited August 2013

She is bronze which is (I think) equal to Joga level 6. Did she go to Atlantic city in January?

• Annette47
    edited August 2013

No, for some reason our coach doesn't like that meet, but I'm not sure why.   We usually do one at Rutgers instead.   Our State Championships are also in January, then we usually do a meet in Orlando over President's Day weekend (last year I was in the middle of radiation so doing Disney was exhausting, LOL, but I went anyway).

• KarenZ0305
    edited August 2013

We're doing one at Rutgers too. I'll have to look at the dates.

• Annette47
    edited August 2013

Let me know!  I think we are doing 3 at Rutgers this year ....

• snoopy66
    snoopy66 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2013

Hi Ladies.  I am new, located in Central NJ.  Not diagnosed, but scared. I am scheduled for stereotactic biopsy in two weeks for microcalfications on mammo, area of suspicion about 1cm.  I am told about 6 samples will be taken.  I am 48 and no family history. Hoping for best, just trying to prepare myself (if it's BC, it is early and treatable, right?).

I was referred by OB/GYN and Radiologist to BS Dr. Gleason in Flemington.  I saw someone else ask about her, but no replies.  Anyone else out there used her? Thoughts, concerns?  Bedside manner seems great, I could use "the calm factor" right now, the wait for biopsy, then results is excruciating. I have a question, once I receive results, good or bad, should I have another doc read the pathology report no matter what? If so, who, another BS?  Thanks for any direction, kind of swirling right now....

• Annette47
    edited August 2013

Hi Snoopy - No real advice for you as I don't know anything about Dr. Gleason (I used Dr. Dultz in East Windsor).   Personally, I didn't ask for a second opinion on the pathology as it seemed quite clear-cut, but if you feel like you need to, then go ahead. I am a big researcher, so I knew in advance what the likely diagnosis and treatment plan would be, and if they had suggested anything other than what I was expecting, I might have felt more compelled to look for another opinion.   Other people may feel more comfortable automatically asking for another opinion - you have to do what's right for you.

I mostly wanted to offer some sympathy - you are in what I felt to be one of the most stressful times of this process because of all the unknowns.    Presenting with micro-calcifications (as opposed to a palpable lump) usually does mean it's been found early, so try not to stress, especially since many biopsies of micro-calcifications (I think 80%?) turn out to be benign.   If the worst happens, and it is cancer, you will be able to get through whatever treatment becomes necessary and once you have a plan in place, the stress will diminish quite a bit (or at least it does for most people).

• snoopy66
    edited August 2013

Annette47, thanks so much for your reply.  I am so grateful for this site and women like you who take the time to help one another through any and every stage of this process.  I am a researcher as well and have been spending much time on this site exploring all of the possibilities that may come out of my biopsy.  I am hopeful all will be well, no matter what.  Most moments I am pretty practical and hopeful about what may occur and how to proceed, I am the type who just needs to have full disclosure of the facts, and I can process and deal.  But then one of my kids will lament about something so silly or minute and I just want to scream "who cares, I may have cancer".....but I don't.  LOL  I know this rollercoaster of emotions is normal at this point, I just hate NOT to be in control!  It's going to be a long few weeks until I know for sure what's going on, I know others have been through it too.  Thanks for the kind words of support and encouragement.  Have a great weekend! Laughing

• proudtospin
    edited August 2013

Snoopy, my original diagnosis was microcalcs also seen on a reg mamo, no lumps, my BS was Susan MacManus who is out of St Peters in N Brunswick, she is great but sort of hard to get into now I think

MacManus was originally assuming it was only B9 but it did turn out to be DCIS, stage 0, I had lumpie, rads and I am now finishing up on my 5 years of aromasin

Do not get too freaked as all the above, leaves me now all clear. 

I did not do a second opinion on the original but if you are not comfie, do so.  I did get 2 opinions regarding the onco and the radiation.  Since I work in Hackensack, I chose onco and RO at Hackensack.

Deep breath, you have a lovely holiday weekend ahead, do something fun to take your mind off of this junk!

• snoopy66
    edited August 2013

ProudtoSpin,

Thanks for sharing.  I am prepared for a similar diagnosis, everyone keeps saying most microcalcs are B9, but this little voice is telling me otherwise (sure hope it's wrong, but need to be prepared).  So glad to hear all is well with you now and you were happy with McManus, have heard good things.  So very many strong women on this site, so thankful for everyone's sharing. :)

I will enjoy the holiday weekend and keep busy with my family! :) 

• proudtospin
    edited August 2013

Snoopy, when I was diagnosed, I remember 5 women I new went for their oer due mamos~~~one of them had calcs that her doc told her were harmless

but after listening to me, she insisted on a biopsy....but all was clear and she was and is fine

so do all the checking you need till you are comfortable and thank god you live in NJ where you have so many really really good docs to chose from!

best of luck and do let us know how it comes out

• onetitwonder
    edited September 2013

I used Dr Gleason. She was fantastic. PM me if you want to chat about. It

• juneaubugg
    juneaubugg Member Posts: 517
    edited September 2013

Snoopy; the most valuable lesson I learned through this experience... Be your own advocate!

Like Annette said, the watching for information is the most emotionally challenged part. (((HUGS)))

• snoopy66
    edited September 2013

JUNEAUBUGG thanks for the support! I'm not shy, so will follow my gut and ask lots of questions if the time comes!

Biopsy tomorrow morning, not really nervous about procedure, but dreading the 4 day wait for results. Can't thank everyone enough for the moral support, special thanks to Onetitwonder for the "stay strong" reminder! :)

I'll keep everyone posted.