STFU (Shut the F*** UP)

Comments

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909
    edited July 2013

I'm not sure where today went...maybe into the Twilight Zone with Rod Serling. I got up feeling good and deciding what mischief I could get into. Now I see that I have done NOTHING to mess with anyone and my post from this morning looks like a 2nd grader typed it. Not that I have anything against 2nd graders, mind you. But a complete waste of opportunity.

I wish I had something to add to the anesthesia conversation, but I got nothing. Nothing relevant, but a non-relevant story. I remember after my second port insertion (because the first one did not work) the surgeon told me that while he was working on me someone asked why he was replacing it. He explained and said "so we have to make sure this is perfect so she doesn't have to do this again". Then evidently I said "There is no AGAIN". He said it got everyone's attention. He told them "see what I mean?"

He's really a good sport I guess. At my first appt with him, when he walked into the room, I opened my mouth to say hello and what came out was "OMG, you're 12!". He said "I get that a lot." He's a cutie. I'm on my 3rd port! I'll do anything for a cute guy.

I better stop now. Chemo plus 2 and I'm pretty sure my judgement is more impaired than usual.

Hello to you newest hooligans. Hope you like it here.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited July 2013

OH Phyllisogram - You are precious. "OMG you're 12" sounds just like something that I would say. Nice ice breaker. I have those twilight zone days and then days like today. Haircut, bought goat grain, car oil change, post office, grocery. Whee, I'm pooped. I put ginger on my grocery list for next week to make your tea. My grocery is under renovation and produce is down to minimum stuff. No organic baby carrots, boo hoo. I did buy some Tazo green tea and some Torani raspberry syrup. Having that now with more in refrig for later.

Wren - "lean against a fencepost". LOL. Did they expect you to go back to hoeing the crops afterward???

12 hour shitfs. The palliative care unit I worked on had (note the had, didn't last) 10 hour 7 day on/7 day off shifts. All I did that 1st day off was wash scrubs. And I freq. got calls to come in on days off. I came home (45 minute drive), vegged a bit, ate, slept, showered, went back to work. The unit eventually transitioned into a medical floor with 12 hour shifts.

Sassy - I mostly remember white Plumeria. Can smell it now. I think it grows wild in Hawaii. Lovely images just with a "plumeria" google search and looks like good Wikipedia article. I have to go to Ft. Worth next week. Maybe I'm due a present???

GG - Femara treating me OK. Usual aches/pains but I manage to do what I need to do. Helped DH tear apart a 900# round bale of hay for the goats Sunday. See no changes in my future so long at it does its job. Have mammo for lefty on Monday. Will get Dexa scan next year to track osteopenia.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited July 2013

I'm home... opened my email to find out one of my dear friends at church died... I was so strong, didn't cry when I left the grandkids... didn't cry when I was driving home ... this threw me over the edge...  Crying as I type... 

The Sleep Doctor/Neurologist office called and wants me to come in tomorrow instead of Monday - they had a cancelation.  Maybe I will talk to her about the nerve pain while I'm there... 

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893
    edited July 2013

To all that have stories of happenings that they knew were wrong. The O2 cath from the floor, the non washing of hands between procedures ALL THE WRONG STUFF. I HATE IT, JUST HATE IT. It's that lack of recognition of the sequence sterile, clean, clean contaminated, dirty contaminated, and hazordous contaminated. It's in the lack of teaching and consciousness. As a young one first week in the OR.  I hear " There's a fly" being yelled down the hall. Doors slamming everywhere. It was the beginning of the day and outside doors were still open as patients were being wheeled into their rooms. I thought are these folks nuts. I asked my orientation nurse what was up? She turned and pointed at the sterile field. She explained if a fly landed on a sterile field the whole table had to be broken down. At that moment, my consciousness began to change. AN AHhhhh moment.

The reason you didn't see handwashing in the OR. There are archtectural standards for an OR. An outside nonsterile corridor, for cart and people traffic. Rooms are centered around a central "sterile corridor". In the sterile corridor which is really "clean not sterile" The word is used to create a consciousness. In that corridor are the scrub sinks. Sinks are designed with foot and knee controls. Masks are worn at all times in that corridor. What can be taken into and out of that corridor is defined by policy. OR rooms are not allowed to have sinks because then there would have to be a drain---source of outside bacteria. No floor drains except in cystoscopy. Cysto rooms serparate from the central core b/c of this. If OR"s were separate from the central core, there was a scrub room that followed the same concepts as the central core. Once a surgery is started policy mandates entry to a room is by the central area to avoid air flow from the outside corridors. Newer hospitals have Laminar air flow-special and expensive. Many older hospitals retrofitted. Thousands of details. Last thought how many jobs do you have to strip, Have a blanket held outside the room which you stepped into, go down a hall,  and shower after a case. Only had to do it three times. How you stripped was defined by policy. Bra and underwear were allowed to be kept on. But there were those of us that preferred under the circumstances to remove them before the case. What a hoot from the standpoint you knew and trusted your co-workers well.-Gas gangrene cases---rare, rare cases. But we were sooooooooooooo careful. Loved that crew. Many a time I thought how much easier life would have been if I had never left. Most never do, they become Lifers.

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2013

Foley, so sorry about your friend, your stress has been so great for so long. Let the tears flow. Scream into a pillow, then breate, then scream againinto the pillow.. Let it all out.

See what the doc thinks of that new DC microcurrent pain stimulator? Ask doc to Consider: a fibromyalgia med.( I think you are on one), Fentanyl low dose patch with the ability to increase if pain goal not attained, Oxy or hydrocodone for breakthrough at specified pain scale level. Therapeutic massage for the entire body along with physical therapy for LE/pain side--rationale the rest of your body is understress besides your right upper quadrant and extremity. Counseling covered by insurance for multiple dx's that the counselor will define. Antianxiety meds as they see will mix well with the drugs you are on. Hugssssssssss

• ChickaD
    ChickaD Member Posts: 971
    edited July 2013

Oh Miss Gma...so sorry to hear about your friend .... my prayers and hugs are with you my friend  xoxo  peace

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2013

Wren, both were leaders in natural childbirth. Lamaze was french and Reed was english. Oddly, not much about either in wiki. They both changed the world. Both were initially ostrasized for their work. Lamaze used several types of breathing for the three stages of child birth. He developed them from watching horses give birth(if memory correct LOL). The first phase was a slow deep breathing sucking in air then, blowing out slowly with pursed lips during a contraction. The 2nd, was a more rapid breathing during transition. The third was blowing altering with the rapid breathing as needed during the third phase to control rapid expulsion of the baby. As a student, I had to teach this to a young girl with no education. I asked her if she could explain it back to me. She said "Whats so hard. First you breathe like a dirty old man. Then you pant like a dog. Then you blow like a fish". It was perfect.

• veggy
    veggy Member Posts: 4,150
    edited July 2013

I'm home now!

• juliaanna
    juliaanna Member Posts: 575
    edited July 2013

Hurrah, Veggy.  Glad you are back home-nothing like your own bed.

Gma, So sorry for your loss.  Good luck at your appointment tomorrow.

For me, if you have a spare positive thought, I would appreciate it.  I have the last (hopefully) surgery in the reconstructive proces tomorrow morning.  By evening, I should be nips up.

Comforting thoughts for those with pain or SE from treatment.  Best wishes to everyone.

• luvmygoats
    edited July 2013

Yeah for Veggy. How ya feeling? Hope you got some answers. Good to sleep in your own bed tonight.

Juliaanna of the new nips - In your pocket tomorrow.

Gma - so sorry about your church friend. I'm with sassy - let loose and have a good cry. Sometimes feelings wash over me and that's all I can do. Hope sleep doc/neuro. has some good solutions.

• veggy
    veggy Member Posts: 4,150
    edited July 2013

GMA - Sorry. Hugs.

• gmafoley
    edited July 2013

She had lung cancer and had been fighting for about a year.. chemo seemed to be helping but she looked so weak and frail... She stood by me with lots of encouraging words when I was going through treatment... I just loved her so much.. Never once did I hear her complain, not once did she not care for others even when she was going through this... I'm not sure of the details of what happened yet.. but I know she is with the Angels.

Here is a picture of the grandkids - They actually sat still long enough for me to get a picture..

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited July 2013

GMA beatiful picture, it looks professional I'm so glad u got home safe, then hearing that awful news of a dear friend, I am so sorry.

Veggy u'r home so glad--How are u feeling?

Julia--new nips tomorrow nite it will be a new u, too.

• lezza13
    lezza13 Member Posts: 579
    edited July 2013

y'all as we say here in TX (but not me, of course) lost me hours ago. Love you ladies, thanks for making me laught.Wishing you all the best and sending hugs and prayers to those to need it, I bid this board adieu and I will STFU starting now.....Lezza

• luvmygoats
    edited July 2013

Lezza - you mean for the night only??? You're not leaving????!!!

• camillegal
    edited July 2013

Lezza u'r leaving us?? like for good. ? What is it with us? We're so much fun and seriousness too, but mostly fun.

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2013

Cami-hay or is it hey, Durante said it best "I think I want to stay, I think I want to go". Then Chevy said it next best- paraphrase "Those that stay will stay , those that go will go, we will still be here". I'll add those that want to return will return. Some get us, some don't. Ca' Sa' Ra' Sa' Ra' or is it cascara.

Yay Veggy missed you---Group HUG Pics needed:)

JUlianna, Do you get a flap tuck along with the nips???? Have an uneventful surgery and recovery:) The nips are really the icing :)

Sent a Pm to April, she's been gone about three weeks. Flowers in the recovery room. Phillyreadssomuchshehasn'tgottimeforus, stacey, ckickee, Mary and blondie are chemoing and targeting. So, what trouble is Chevy into? That ducky too? Dwilli's a courting! Shellsamissing. Littlegoatsisunbalinh hay. Foleyspicswithgkssocute. Wrensastitching

• shellshine
    shellshine Member Posts: 930
    edited July 2013

Sorry - I was busy. Thanks for checking Sassaronni.

Philly - you are so smart and funny - even when you are whacked out from treatments - I love you're unique sense of humor and perspective.

Juliaanna, good that you're getting the next phase of reconstruction. I have a question for you - I'm interested in having an aerola made, so I don't have flat looking hamburger buns, but I don't want my "headlights on" all the time. Please let me know if you can go braless after nipple reconstruction. I've been thinking about it lately. I know there's no rush in making a decision, but would appreciate your perspective after you are healed.

Cam - sent you a PM.

You're right Sas - where is April? The only bad thing about this thread is the worry when one of us is MIA.

Veggy I'm so glad you are discharged. All of you are right: hospitals  are noisy, stressful, and infected with all kinds of unhealthy stuff. I spent one night after BMX and was out < 24 hours - couldn't handle the constant interuptions, noise, despite the fact that I had a private room and exceptional nurses.

Sas - I'm a gardener, too.

Blondiee - thinking of you, hope you are doing okay.

• camillegal
    edited July 2013

Good Morning all---Sas it's true some people just aren't comfortable here and that's fine. but when one is missing for a few days we get a little antsy--cuz we do care.

It's starting to get light so back to bed soon hahaha.

I hope everyone is having a good orbetter day today, if they weren't yesterday--

• gmafoley
    edited July 2013

Good Morning Cami - was up at 3:30 for work today.. Thunder and Lightning storm this morning - Pray for no forest fires... we are really really dry here..  

PS - not my picture, I cheated but that is what it looks like here..

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited July 2013
    Morning gals....

Cammi and Sass, I couldn't find what I thought I was looking for...

But I found this...

I save so much "stuff" in my "favorites" that it has taken over a life of it's own. 

Our SIL is in from Orlando, so we spent the day with him yesterday!  So much fun!   Took him up to see his Sister in Central City, who I meet quite often for lunch.....

Then we drove down the mountain to Blackhawk and gambled a little bit.  That's pretty fun if you can win, but a real drag when you can't.

Sass, I don't know how you remember all of us, and what we do...Ha!   And who is getting what, where!  Wish I could do that.

Spookie.... Lizards?   My Daughter in Orlando said it is like living in a petrie-dish...Ha, ha!   She even had a little lizard on her wall in the bedroom, while I was THERE! 

And me from land-locked Denver, are not USED to seeing anything bigger than a bee or ant in the house!   I was sure it was going to hop on me or my stuff! 

Grammie.... Love your little Grand-kids!  And glad you are home!  Just sorry about your friend....  It's just hard...

Miss GardenG...  We have a blood pressure monitor, and also one that goes on your finger to measure your oxygen level...  Just look around.  I think we bought ours at Super  Walmart.

Phyllidrivesthemnuts!  You are so funny with your Docs!   One time we had to take DH to the emergency room.... and WHO should come from behind the curtain but this man sent from HEAVEN!  My Daughter's were ready to throw their Dad OFF the table & hog-tie this MAN down in his place, and well.... you know.... just take advantage of this most GORgeous man!  I mean  he was.... ummm ..... well something worth shaving your legs right THERE for!    And yes!  He had a bag of chips!

They were trying to figure out what could be wrong with THEM to maybe have an exam of some sort!

Sass, man I don't remember being able to "breathe" at all during labor!  I was in the throes of the most "turnyourselfinsideout" pain, that I had EVER known.  Breathe?  Not on your life!!    Just lay there trying to not have your ears pulled all the way through your other END!   THEN the dose of ETHER!   All I could hear was "He's a girl...he's a girl....he's a girl!"  And then I woke up... in a sense.  And old Doc Brown said.."He's a girl."  I was under that Ether, and I dreamed I was looking down at me, holding a bag of pop-corn.... 

I don't think they had epidural's, pain meds,  or anything ELSE!  Maybe whiskey?  And pant?  Well sure!  Maybe if you could BREATHE!  

And then they laid "her" in my arms... and I fell in love.  Wow.... that feeling!   And I did it twice! 

Glad you are home Veggy....  Hope you can stay there now, at least for the rest of the summer! 

Sorry you are leaving Lezza...  Wish you would stay awhile....

Shells, of COURSE you are a gardener!  You live in one of the most beautiful States!  My Dad used to travel to Hawaii to over-see flower shipments back to his shop in San Francisco...to Trader Vic's.  And I used to help him make Lei's!  Weren't they from Plumeria also?  He had the most amazing plants in his gardens!  Monkey Tail Ferns, Paint-brush, Bird of Paradise.... etc!   And my Mom had an Orchid collection,  along with  Bonsai's.  

Okay.... guess that's it!  Love you gals! xoxoxoxo

• ChickaD
    ChickaD Member Posts: 971
    edited July 2013

Miss Julia -- good luck today -- many positive thoughts coming your way.... xoxoxox

Miss Veggomatic... YAY you are home and I hope feeling much better ... hope you can get some silence now.

So far my Chemo #4 isn't too bad.... normal side effects I can deal with... and since I did NOT get the Neulasta shot -- NO BONE PAIN -- BIG YAY....  go to the hospital today for my 2nd MUGA heart test

Have a good day my Hoolies  xoxoxoxox

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited July 2013

I have had reason to stay in the hospital overnight more then I care to remember........rotator cuff surgery each shoulder which was 2 stays.......BC.....Heart attack......Kyphoplasty,......... Just recently for the ischemic colitis episode......Plus 6 kids........

Here is my feeling and I have 2 four year college graduate RN's close to me, my granddaughter, and my DIL,....always there for me, but never try to play Doctor.........

Years ago we were kept in the hospital for days for many things that today we stay overnight or, the most a couple days..........think about this......how many times have you heard someone say..(and be honest, and admit it).........."WHEN I FIRST GOT IN THIS ROOM I WAS FLOODED WITH NURSES AND DOCTORS! NOW I DON'T SEE A DAMN ONE.......right........you are never going to please everyone about their care........also....isn't it a fact that the majority of people bitch about everything that went wrong during their experience, but never say how good the care was..............

Of course hospitals have infections....people don't go there cause they are healthy.....are there careless nurses, Doctors, and how about the "house cleaning staff"..........of course there are........but don't tear down a whole industry of dedicated Medical professionals who bust their asses and really do dedicate themselves each day because of a few bad ones......think where we would be without them...........

Remember you don't like the Doctor change.....you don't like your hospital stay, next time find another one........you don't like the nurse taking care of you....ask for the person in charge...........your care is in your hands.. ........

Now I will STFU...........

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited July 2013

GMA - so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Lezza - hope you didn't leave the thread for good.

Ducky - sorry if I offended you, but IMHO there are problems in hospitals that need to be addressed.  I deeply admire people who choose to go into the healthcare profession.  It is an important profession and you must be very proud of your family members who have dedicated themselves to it.  But, that doesn't mean that either everyone or all hospitals are without fault.  Is the care good?  Well, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.  I am of the opinion that pointing out problems in an industry is not "tearing down the entire industry", but rather pointing out ways they can (and in my opinion should) do better.  Your care IS in your hands - and sometimes we need to be reminded of that.  But, many people do not live where they have a choice of doctors or hospitals - not without traveling much further than they can afford to.  The important part to remember about your care being in your hands is that you (or if you're lucky enough, your advocate) MUST pay attention to what is going on.  You must be willing to tell the nurse "No, you cannot put that in my nose, you just picked it up off the floor."  You cannot simply STFU.  And - you must also be aware of the fact that when you do pay attention, and do remember that your care is in your own hands, that you won't be winning many popularity awards with some of the nursing staff. 

Now as one of the newest members of this thread - I will STFU and hope that I haven't unduly offended anyone.

• savgigi
    savgigi Member Posts: 245
    edited July 2013

GMA, I am sorry for your loss. It's a terrible thing to lose a good friend. I'm glad you had such a great time with the grandkids and that is a beautiful photo.

• duckyb1
    edited July 2013

I have had reason to stay in the hospital overnight more then I care to remember........rotator cuff surgery each shoulder which was 2 stays.......BC.....Heart attack......Kyphoplasty,......... Just recently for the ischemic colitis episode......Plus 6 kids........

Here is my feeling and I have 2 four year college graduate RN's close to me..my DIL, and my Grandaughter...always there for me, but never try to play Doctor.........

Years go we were kept in the hospital for days for many things that today we stay overnight or, the most a couple days..........think about this......how many times have you heard someone say..(and be honest, and admit it).........."WHEN I FIRST GOT IN THIS ROOM I WAS FLOODED WITH NURSES AND DOCTORS! NOW I DON'T SEE A DAMN ONE.......right........you are never going to please everyone about their care........also....isn't it a fact that the majority of people bitch about everything that went wrong during their experience, but never say how good it was...............

Of course hospitals have infections....people don't go there cause they are healthy.....are there careless nurses, Doctors, and how about the "house cleaning staff"..........of course there are........but don't tare down a whole industry for the dedicated Medical professionals who bust their asses and really do dedicate themselves each day...........think where we would be without them...........

Remember you don't like the Doctor change.....you on't like your hospital stay, next time find another one........you don't like the nurse taking care of you....ask for the person in charge...........your care is in your hands.. ........

Now I will STFU...........

• luvmygoats
    edited July 2013

Chevyerette - I know what you mean about bookmarks. DH says I have bookmarked the entire web. The last time I was not working we did not have DSL. Woohoo. OH lizards - I got myself in a heap of trouble when we lived in Hawaii. As a joke I took a feather, ran it down my DM's back and yelled "you've got a lizard on you" - they roamed pretty freely through the house. Scream, yell at me, don't think I got a spanking but bet I got sent to my room. We've lived in a house here in the Metroplex that got those little geckos in it. This one only has big spiny ones that drive the dog crazeee when they get on the screens.

Sassy - count me a would be gardener. House plants OK. Yard not so much. In the spring maybe garden for a few weeks. DH took my vegetable garden for parking - truth is I didn't use it much. This time of year no wayyyy! But it is raining today. Weirdest summer, heat, rain, heat, rain. Who knows what August will bring.

Ducky - agree 100%. Hospitals live for those patient surveys. I try to always fill mine out and to remember names of special employees. Having your name in a survey (positive that is) or mentioned in a personal note was on our reviews. I guess so was a negative way - shudder.

Chickienoshot - glad you're feeling decent after chemo. Dare I say "good" instead of "decent"? With you for your MUGA.

Gma - Loved pics with grands. Still thinking of you in your down time. Hope doc visit today provides some clue to your pain.

Guess I should drink more green tea with raspberry. I slept soooo good; up to tinkle x2 but right back to sleep. Phylllisthecook - I copied off your ginger tea recipe. Yum. I found some really good, soft candied ginger. I might try some of that though it does not ooze juice. I need to look for more Torani syrup; raspberry is OK, I will use it up but not my fav. They makes tons of others.

Happy Hooligan Friday.

• duckyb1
    edited July 2013

GG.....not offended at all......I think we agree that your care is up to you or your advocate.......Like I always said to my kids......"you have a mouth.....use it"...,,,,,always remembering to be respectful and polite..

My grandson was rushed to the hospital with an asthma attack at 5 years old.....I was with my daughter........a Dr came into the emergency room and went to treat my grandson......I said to him.....I did not see you wash your hands.......he said..."I did, right before coming in here".....I saId..."I don't doubt that, but please do it again"..........my daughter near died....he thanked me........so your care is up to you......or your advocate....A hairdresser drops a comb, brush, scissors on the floor......don't put that on my head...and they don't, so it is in any industry.....no one can treat you less then with respect unless you allow it.......

My husband died from Pancreatic cancer......many days, weeks in a hospital.....have seen it all.....he lived for 2 years 9 months because of prayer, and a fantastic surgeon..........my daughter survived a brain tumor because of a skilled brain surgeon...................yet my great granddaughter is disabled (but progressing beautifully).........because of an "asshole" OB, who decided he could pull the 2nd baby (twins) out feet first instead of doing a C-section....(he is being sued)

So I do know both sides of good and bad treatment........but have seen more good......so with eyes wide open, never assuming because they hold "the title", they can't be questioned about everything and anything.......I say again........YOUR CARE IS IN YOUR HANDS......

I also don't care about popularity............Never have.........

So no offense.....I think we are saying the same thing.......hugs

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited July 2013

Just checking in had the echo cardiogram this morning and the esphogram also, the second showed nothing (acid reflux)....still have the oxygen. It is mom mom and Andrew day so my grandson Andrew will be going to the movies (turbo) and friendlys.  I also think we will go to the Christmas tree shop and other stores....hope everyone is ok and Chickie hang in there..

will check back later....boys are getting on my nerves they don't have medication....

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited July 2013

Chevy

We call them lizzards, some look like little dinosaurs. Their really anoles. I don't mind having them in the house, they eat palmetto bugs. Petri dish? What's that mean? LOL!