Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

STFU (Shut the F*** UP)

Comments

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited February 2013

Kassy how wonderful and you deserve it, I wonder why we have such a hard time accepting good things and people being nice to us, or maybe it is only me.....she wants you to have it, so take it, say thank you and accept it.

Sandy

• shadytrake
    shadytrake Member Posts: 69
    edited February 2013

Kassy,

I agree. Take the offering from friends.  My barn friends asked me to dinner on Saturday.  I'm excited to go because since I can't ride, that is a big chunk of my weekend days.  Sunday, I'm going to pay attention to my orchids in the greenhouse that I have sorely neglected.  Luckily my hubby has a green thumb and has been watching over them.

I had a STFU moment today though. One of my husband's friends called my phone by mistake looking for him.  When I answered, he was "you're supposed to be in surgery"..um, no.  That was last week.  "Well you have everyone very worried"...um, sorry...can't do anything about that.  I didn't get cancer to make everyone worried.  I can't believe I said that.  I was in shock and it just came out.  Surprised  Oh well. You say something crappy, expect a crappy response.  That's my new mantra!

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited February 2013

Shady LOL--it gets easier and easier as it goes along.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2013

Shady, great response. That will get them thinking about what they really said.
    Kassy, so glad you got some assistance from your dear friends.  You are a giving person.  I know it is harder to accept help but this is a perfect time for you to relax and be grateful.
    Hugs,
    Joan

• camillegal
    edited February 2013

Joan are u following me and then posting right before me??????????????

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited February 2013

Shady, that was perfect!  Don't even bother with these people....  they just don't think before they talk!

I love orchids too, but they do much better when I can put them outdoors in the Spring and all Summer on our front porch!  My Daughter gave me a "Blue" orchid last year, but it wilted pretty fast, because of what the florists do to make them blue....

But NOW the orchid is blooming.... ALL WHITE, Ha!   So it is gorgeous, and huge green shiny leaves.  I set shells all around the potting mix, and the air-roots like to wind themselves around them.  I think the shells I have collected from the beaches in Orlando, have helped the plants, with the little bit of natural salt they have on them, by going down into the planting mix.

I found out orchids can do alright withOUT lots of light!  I have this one in the North window, and it seems pretty happy!

Hi Joan & Camille and Sandy!   Aren't some of you guys getting a winter storm this week-end?  Yikes!  We are expecting SOME snow Saturday and Sunday here....

Take good care....

• shadytrake
    edited February 2013

Hi Chevy,

Yes. Phalaenopsis like semi-shade. (That is what you have). After all of the blooms fade & the spike dries up (turns brown) you can cut it leaving a couple of inches from the base.

To get it to bloom again, let the plant get down to 55 degrees for one week (don't water it at that time). Then put it back in your windowsill (not direct sun) at 65 degrees + and it should throw out a new bloom spike. They develop slowly so be patient.

For more detailed information, www.Memphisorchids.org or www.aos.org. I designed the website for the Memphis Orchid Society (under construction still) but I have uploaded the care sheets (in PDF).

• shadytrake
    edited February 2013

Here is a link to my first awarded orchid.

http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchids-bloom/35787-my-first-aos-award.html

Orchids are very therapeutic.

• camillegal
    edited February 2013

How can anyone not love orchids---tht was so pretty Shady, I certainly enjoyed the beauty of the colors too.

• blondiex46
    edited February 2013

yes Chevy we are....

Hello ladies how are you all on this Friday in February...?

Sandy

• shadytrake
    edited February 2013

Hanging in there. Got the call from the MO today and they said to be prepared to start chemo on Monday. I got a flu shot today.

• camillegal
    edited February 2013

Shady I'm glad u'r getting started so it can be over with. They'll take good care of u when u are there so don't give it a worry. And u'r all set with the flu shot--so this is good.

• joan811
    edited February 2013

Chevy, am about half way through the storm...started slow - only about 3" of wet snow and rain...but about midnight the temps dropped and it has been steady snow since - about 6" plus drifts now.  Another 2 hours of this.
    I just want to get out of my driveway.  I live on a cul de sac so may not get plowed for awhile.
    Camille, of course i'm stalking you...LOL...Surprised
    (((((Shady))))), enjoy the week end...and know that there are many here for you whenver you need.   

• shadytrake
    edited February 2013

Thanks all.

Joan - I love your signature. It's my mantra for next week.

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2013

Joan, you doing alright?  Been reading and watching news about that storm!  Hope you can stay safe...  It's just so awful when lives are lost.... especially due to traffic accidents, and people out driving.  Man, I would hunker down and not leave until it got up to 70 degrees!  Wink  I am really a chicken when it comes to driving on ice, or during torrential rain storms, and snow blowing side-ways.   

Are you okay Blondie?  It's supposed to snow her tonight, and tomorrow, but nothing major.

Shady, I did copy instructions about Oncidium, Cymbidium, Dendrobium, and Phalaenopsis.  My 2nd Daughter lives close to us, sort of, and she is the floral manager at one the King Soopers.  She knows I love orchids, and usually gives me one for all the holidays, Ha!  I've had as many as 19 at once.  But a lot of them were ones that didn't sell, so instead of throwing them away, she piled them all in a bag and gave them to me.   By the way, is that an orchid in your Avatar?

I had typed her instructions on what to do with orchids once you get them home, because her customers always asked, when they bought one....  But the instructions I printed from your web-site are categorized and set up very well.  I'm giving her copies, so she can print them off for her customers. 

SOMEtimes I can get those "forgotten" orchids  to bloom again, but it's a lot easier to get a healthy plant, and go from there.   I just hate to see any plant thrown away...  So now she doesn't tell me...Ha!  I'm just happy my "Blue" orchid, (that is now WHITE) is blooming so well!   One full stem, and another is growing fast.  It's the huge shiny leaves that look so good, also!  I learned NOT to leave orchids outdoors, even in the shade, because the rain and wind will hurt them.... The rain leaves spots, or pits on the leaves....  or SOMEthing does.  

Have you seen those hanging orchids that grow in little slat boxes, with no potting medium?  I saw those in Orlando...  I thought, "No way in hell would I get one of them to grow here in Denver."  They just must use the humidity in the air?  That, and a prayer!

And we'll be thinking of you on Monday....  put us all in your pocket, and we'll take care of you.  Wink

Take care gals!  Hope you have a safe, warm week-end...xoxoxo

• blondiex46
    edited February 2013

Me ok thanks for asking, hope everybody checks in

• camillegal
    edited February 2013

The weather is fine here, but are they catching it in the NE--stay home and be safe.

• joan811
    edited February 2013

Shady, I have had to live by those words during the worst of times -- I don't choose to be brave - I just don't have a choice.  
    Hugs and prayers for you as you enter treatment.
    Chevy, my friend called from CO this morning because she saw the Long Island Expressway car jam on the news.  We have a massive amount of snow, but not as deep as a few miles to the north or New England.  I'm nearer the ocean and had a lot of rain before snow.  Sun is out...birds are fed...DH is shoveling, and I am lounging.  I like being housebound with electric still on!
    --Chevy, emergency -- I have an orchid that was thriving since November...then it lost a flower...now they are all wilting except one...is it too late?  I was watering sparingly...it is up on a table in NW window, but there is a heating baseboard nearby.  Is it too dry?  Too cold?  Too warm?? Should I just go buy another?  (DS gave it to me)  In January we traveled and my plants got very dry.  I know if I overwater it will be bad. 
    How can I see the link to orchid instructions? (thanks...)

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2013

Joan, this is the link that Shady posted....  You almost have to figure this out by yourself....  But that link gave good instructions.  My huge white orchid is sitting on our table, facing a North window....  It has been in the window-sill, but the blossom stems have made it too large for now.  But it likes being pretty cool.  I water it when it feels dry.... don't let it dry out... but don't let it sit in water either.  I soak it at the sink, let it sit a few minutes then pour any excess water out.  

I have also heard to put 3 ice cubes in your orchid every week, but I haven't tried THAT one!   This white orchid, that was blue last year, started to wilt also.... I mean the blossoms just fell over.... I knew it was a gonner.... But I finally cut the stems back to just above the first node,  and this is the one that is happy now.  I also repotted it into new moss & orchid planting mix.  I cut off the dead roots.   I'm just amazed that it came back!

So don't give up....  Yes, always go get a new one, Ha, ha! 

http://www.memphisorchids.org/

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2013

This is that blue orchid that changed to white!  You can see how limp the one stem is...

You know, I also took it out of that pot... And repotted it into a clear plastic pot, and I poked holes all along the sides with a hot screw-driver, and let it get light and air that way!  It had been potted with just peat moss, and it was really PACKED in there....  had to cut the little plastic container away from the root ball... But with just peat, they stay too wet, and will rot. 

Good luck!

• joan811
    edited February 2013

Thanks, Chevy...Wow never saw a blue orchid like that!  I am really sad because my DS from Chicago got me 2 gorgeous plants - cyclamen an orchid.  They did so well...I watered about 1/2 cup for orchid and 1 cup for cyclamen...then we went away and they dried....cyclamen died...Maybe it's too dry because we have the heat running more now.  I feel badly because it is from my son.  It almost sounds easier to get a new one...I'll try the link.  (It's a good thing that my kids weren't that fragile...if they wilted, I got them a cool drink and a snack.Undecided)

• shadytrake
    edited February 2013

Hi Chevy and Joan,

Yes, my Avatar is an orchid. It is called Dracula lotax. I bloomed it and then our summer got too hot and I killed it. It is a cool grower.

If you want a lot of info and a friendly group of orchid growers, hop over to www.orchidboard.com. Friendly folks and no drama.

Re: the blue orchid. It is actually injected with a dye. They don't actually grow that color. So sorry to burst your bubble. They will always grow back with a white flower if they survive the dye.

I am up to over 200 orchids at last count. Should have some great blooms this spring. Take care and stay warm!

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited February 2013

Enuf!!!! I cannot plant one damn thing...i kill everything..even thigs you have to do nothing for i kill....

Well chevy here is some food for thought...right im a killer!!!!

Im back.

Tryin real had but im havin some decent hrs. and i fell im slowly healing from this shock.

Thank you all once again for never givin up on me nor my family...hey! you are my family and i love you all sooo much.My sistas here have been my biggest supporters.....this thread along with a few other threads.

huggs grannydukes

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited February 2013

Hi Granny.....so happy to hear from you.....How is Brian doing? How is your stomach?

Hope you are taking care of yourself!!!

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited February 2013

Hi Scottie

I tought by now all of you had enuf too.Thank you for caring.

Brian is doing very well.They are talkin of sending him home on Monday.Dont have anymore details.

My stomach has been on and off.The past 2 days were not bad.Im goin to see the stomach dr on the 18th and the surgeon on the 20th.something like that.i gotta do this damn surgery and I will.

First responder....like 911.Love ya for that.

big smooch

Grannydukes

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited February 2013

Granny.....we're all here for you and your family.....like you said, we are also your family

so how could we ever give up on you? You never give up on us either. ❤

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited February 2013

Joan, Cyclamens die back after blooming. Don't assume it's dead yet. Could be, but perhaps not. Look up what to do. I think I remember letting them dry out in a cool spot, but I don't trust my memory for anything any more. DH won't assume a plant is dead until it's been 2 years. I think that might be taking it too far, but he's had some unlikely ones pull through.

• camillegal
    edited February 2013

Hi Granny it's good seeing u post--we've worried and missed you---It's good about Brian coming home Monday and hope things go well for u.

• shadytrake
    edited February 2013

STFU - look what my friends got me. Three handmade chemo caps. They are so sweet!

Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.so-southern.com/products.php

• camillegal
    edited February 2013

Shady that is so sweet, how nice of them.