STFU (Shut the F*** UP)

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893
    edited August 2013

Veggy, glad your feeling better. Whatever you decide is best for you. Let it be best for you. L&H&P's sheila

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited August 2013

Veggy take whatever u can is right, and I was very much a ginger person so I'm all for it, but I wouldn't put it in my meantloaf--luvmyginger

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2013

Gumby HI:), It's been a standard cautionary for years re: coumadin and Ginger. After I wrote that in the post where I capped it, I called my pharmacy to see if any other cautionaries were listed recently. Nothing that is substanstiated. But the cautionary is still there with COUMADIN.

BUT your experience is as you say " I used ginger the entire time I was on coumadin.  My INR was stable."

May be it fits in the same category as diet. At one time the cautionary with coumadin was to avoid green vegetables, in particular salad type. About say 10 years ago, the question was studied and resolved re: the green vegetables. The new teaching was : IF you eat green vegetables eat them every day versus not eating them and then suddenly change. Once INR stabilization was reached maintain the same diet. It was recognized that the nutrient value of the green vegetables was there, but it could throw off the INR for coumadin use.  Sounds logical, but since the cautionary is in every drug source it must be said.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2013

makes perfect sense, sas.  better safe than sorry and all that!!!  (I ate a lot of green leafy vegies too - though I stayed away from Kale, as I don't like it enough to eat it almost every day!!)

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2013

Gumby, Question --Did they do diet teaching when you were on Coumadin and what year was it?

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited August 2013

Sassy - I had a pt when I was on behavioral health who threw what I would term hissy fit because she did not get the entree every else got and I could see no reason my not - group dining don't cha know. Took several calls to dietary to find out it had parsley in it. How friggin much parsley could it have had and bet you dollars to donuts it was dried anyway.

I always had to look up high vitamin K foods - thank goodness for dieticians. I could write a dietary consult quicker than you can say spit.

Cami - the smell of the ginger and the meatloaf were heavenly. Kid you not I have looked up meatloaf with ginger.

I have a mortar/pestle why I do not remember and also do not remember where I have put it. Would have been great for the ginger. I do recommend anyone doing this to attempt to buy the straighest pieces of ginger. Much easier to peel without twists/turns. I believe I shall have another glass. May save my alcohol for tomorrow night and Mexican food out in Ft. Worth.

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2013

Littlegoats apparently I'm home alone on Friday night. wish I got a big bottle of wine versus the little OH well....Yes vita K..... REMEMBER when it was a big NO to eat anything that had VITA K. When the newer teaching came out, it was a blessing. Let the drug adjust around the diet versus taking away the nutrients and the JOY of a great salad.

• juliaanna
    juliaanna Member Posts: 575
    edited August 2013

Easy peel method for ginger- scrape the skin off with the end of a spoon. That way you can go over some of the bigger knobs

Kalua pig- slow roasted pork, wrapped in ti or banana leaves. Sometimes cooked in a pit. Results in a lightly smoked, moist, fall apart meat

Haupia- coconut pudding with the consistency of firm jelly

Shells if your interview was half as successful as our luau, you have a job!!

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2013

The transition to the newer teaching was considered so radical, at the hospital I was at it was required to do a consult order that read "Pharmacy to do coumadin teaching". A phamphlet was produced etc. Instead of inservicing nurses on the newer concepts. The change was big at the time. You know I love teaching, but did consider it a boon b/c the pharmacist would take 45-1hr teaching. with 6-8 patients that was unrealistic. So, it was a good thing.

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2013

JuliaOMGthatSoundsOhSoGOOD Can I have some puleese.

• juliaanna
    edited August 2013

I'd send you some, but the residents and staff licked the platters clean!

When we all get together, we can party island style!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2013

SAS I've had 2 DVT. 1 was in 97 or 8. The other was 2011. Basically they scared the benesus out of you for eating anything w vit k. Then told you to eat anything you wanted but to be consistent.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited August 2013

I was told if I wanted kale every day, or whatever, I could have it. They would adjust the meds. I was given list of foods containing vit k. Cranberries was one listed!

4 years ago was in hospital with multiple DVTs and PE. At the same time. Wasn't fun.

• camillegal
    edited August 2013

OK I did say I knew the alphabet and I do by heart--but WTF is PE and DVT and whatever u'r talking about and Chevy don't act like u know,

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2013

Gumby and Spookie classic

Gumby, you had you frist DVT in the OLD time and your 2nd DVT in the new time of dietary teaching. Your words "Then told you to eat anything you wanted but to be consistent." The change from the old to a newer concept again was very radical. Your words " Basically they scared the benesus out of you"(1998). The change had to reset everyone's thinking and teaching. For those that were expected to teach, truly, unless they studied it was difficult. For those that studied, it wasn't difficult. In the facility I was in, the beauty of the teaching coming so thoroughly from a pharmicist, helped the patient avoid the problems of all others who had prior knowledge of the OLD dietary teaching re:coumadin ---of someone saying  "YOU CAN'T EAT THAT".  Because A "High Authority" figure in a white coat sat at the beside and told you so.  Maybe it didn't happen that way. But bring in a white coat and it's more official, LOL, but it works :)

A transition in any care standard, is a danger point because a person doesn't know who to believe.

Spookie, they may have taught you the same as Gumby, but in your description I don't see the same words "BE consistent". They may have and you just didn't write it. But say they had NOT stressed those two words, you could have been vulnerable to outside influence that suggested you weren't doing it right.

The words used to direct a person in the changing time are critical, to make sure the expected behavior is accomplished.

I posted a piece a few pages ago about VTE. I will retrieve it and explain it in depth. Too many descriptions in posts since that they tell me the subject is not well understood. So, it can be a bypass piece or a store piece :)L&H's sassy

• juliaanna
    edited August 2013

Cami,

PE- pulmonary embolism  (blockage in one or more of the arteries in the lungs usually caused by blood clots from other parts of the body- most of the time from the legs)

DVT- Deep Vein Thrombosis (clotting in the veins farthest from the surface of the body)

VTE-Venous thromboembolism  (See above two definitions)

So glad the week is over.  

Sas, the nip on the right is looking good except for the sutures still sticking out. Looks like I'll lose about 1/4 of lefty, it's looking pretty black.  sigh....

Cheers...I'm going to flip the top on a bottle of hard apple cider..I earned it.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited August 2013

I said they said if I wanted kale or whatever everyday I could have it, they could adjust the meds.

Actually, I hate the slimy stuff, but assumed that meant be consistent even if I didn't say it.

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited August 2013

Hope everybody is feeling better. Veggy, sounds like you are really having a rough ride. I am so sorry.

I am in Little Rock ths weekend for my adult nephews house warming. Lots of fun! Wish u all could be here. Brenda

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909
    edited August 2013

Um, I just wash the ginger.  I don't usually peel it for the tea.

• juliaanna
    edited August 2013

Phylligingertea, We were introduced to ginger brew when in New Zealand. It was the best thirst quencher ever.

Haribo makes some great lemon-ginger jellied candies.

• shellshine
    shellshine Member Posts: 930
    edited August 2013

I bought ginger syrup from Costco - add it every day to carbonated water for the most ono (delicious) thirst quencher ever. They even have a recipe for a ginger martini - now THAT sounds good.

I've been on warfarin for 21 years and have never adjusted what I eat - my warfarin is dosed to my high vegetable diet. So Veggy, I'm kind of a veggy, too! 

I'm so sorry you are feeling so crappy. Hugs all around you.

My interview went well. Not sure the job is a good fit for me - kinda  overqualified for the role which would  be a threat to the person who would be my boss (I used to work with her many years ago). It would be a great way  to learn hospice - and a good opportunity to check my ego at the door. We'll see. If they do offer, would need to think about it. Whatever happens either way I will be okay with it.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited August 2013

Yeh, Kiwi ginger beer -non alcohol- its great and I use it for any upset tummy. We also have gingernut biscuits which wth the help of a cup of teas can settle things down. Did you take a liking to them Juliaana? My DD wants me to bring some when I come to Canada.

Veggy do hope you are feeling a bit better.

Great big hugs.

• juliaanna
    edited August 2013

Alyson, yes the biscuits are wonderful. I also fell in love with Dilmah brand tea. For a long time we couldn't get it here. About 2 years ago I found an online store that stocks the tea.

Hope you and your family are safe.

• Alyson
    edited August 2013

All fine here,I am in Auckland. Have many friends in Wellington-just buildings damaged. Their building code is really high because they have frequent quakes so  it shows it has worked. Problem is the continuing quakes. My brother who lives in Nelson felt it as they were in the supermarket.Sil wondered why people were pushing things off the shelves the realised what was happening.

• juliaanna
    edited August 2013

When we visited, we were in Christchurch and then toured through the lower half of the South Island. We were heartbroken at the damage Christchurch suffered. The flower festival was going on when we were there. We attended a concert at the cathedral. It was so beautiful with all the flower arrangements.

• Alyson
    edited August 2013

This is the cathedral now

Yesterday they opened the temporary cathedral.

Its made of cardboard and could last 30years,time to rebuld the main one.

• juliaanna
    edited August 2013

Amazing..who would have thought of cardboard. It is beautiful in its modernity. Is it located on the square, too?

• Alyson
    edited August 2013

No its is in Latimer Square where the aid posts were after the big quake. Just near the CTV building which collasped.

• camillegal
    edited August 2013

Thanks Julia I'm not familiar with any of those terms (Thank God)--but I never thought of diet with anything like that. Oh u women know so much--I'm a bystander here and that's fine.

Well this is my first Good Morning so I hope everyone wakes up with decent feeling--Veggy I hope the best for u.if u feel any better make a list of all these ginger things so u have them in the house.

• Alyson
    edited August 2013

Well it is for you. Nearly over for me.