Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Time for hospice and Im really scared

Comments

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited February 2014

Oh Teri, I am so sorry.... I can hear how much you loved Pepper. *susan*

20130502 Member Posts: 162
    edited February 2014

Pepper sure sounds like she was special!  When Mr. Deuce comes home he'll have some big hooves to fill.  You are ever in my thoughts Teri especially now.  Have you ever read the rainbow bridge poem?  I am not big on organized religion but i do like this poem.

The Rainbow Bridge

inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

© 1998 Steve and Diane Bodofsky. All Rights Reserved.
  • Hortense
    Hortense Member Posts: 718
    edited February 2014

Sweet. I like that. It's always so hard to lose pets and animals we care about. We have quite a few dogs, cats, horses, birds and a rabbit buried around here, and we loved all of them. I think we may also have the school gerbil somewhere.

Teri, I am sorry to hear about Pepper-goat. It sounds like she was quite a character and that you were very fond of her. 

• sarahsmom
    sarahsmom Member Posts: 276
    edited February 2014

Aw, I am so sorry about Pepper! She sound awesome! It always tells me a lot about a person if they can "see" the soul and character of an animal, not everyone cares enough to try or is as in tune....

I sent word to Deuce through the crazy Middle Eastern goats, hope he saunters home soon to check in!

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582
    edited February 2014

Terri - sorry to hear about Pepper-goat - I know you loved her.  Hope Deuce gets the message and comes home.  Hugs, S.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited February 2014

so sorry to hear about Pepper. It sounds as if she had a good life.

• bestbird
    bestbird Member Posts: 232
    edited February 2014

Teri, I am so sorry to hear about pepper.  Perhaps Deuce will come home to pay respects.  But first, I think Deuce made a detour to the second hospice to take a nice long pee on their doorstep!

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited February 2014

Words aren't enough to express my sorrow for you right now - you have lost so much, and now Pepper is gone. You have so much love in your heart, and you are loved by so many (humans and non-humans) in return. It is this love that opens us up to such pain, and yet, I will join you in rejoicing that Pepper has been part of your life for so long, that you have shared so much with her, all the antics, and hope the pain will ease over time. Sending lovingkindness as always.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited February 2014

Teri, I am so sorry to hear about Pepper-goat.

Leah

• Moiralf
    Moiralf Member Posts: 119
    edited February 2014

So sorry to hear about Pepper. Even when we know that it is part of life it seems too soon for our animal friends.  Especially those we love the most and feel the closest to.

Moira

• superfoob
    superfoob Member Posts: 121
    edited February 2014

my condolences on the loss of Pepper.

Frowny face.

• Hortense
    edited February 2014

"I think Deuce made a detour to the second hospice to take a nice long pee on their doorstep!"  - Hahahahahhaha!

• sarahsmom
    sarahsmom Member Posts: 276
    edited February 2014

Too funny!  I can't tell whether the camel likes all of this goat attention or not?! 

I was thinking about how the goat on top could have possibly made that happen, but remembered Deuce's great leaping ability :-)

Maybe the ones on either side were holding the camel steady while the other jumped on! 

Sending you a laugh today, Teri!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited February 2014

Awe Teri, I'm so sorry to read that your Pepper has passed.........it has been very difficult for you, firstly to have to find new homes for your animals and now to lose one of your favorites........very sad indeed.

Sending warm gentle ((((((hugs)))))) and loads of love your way.    Chrissy

• redwolf8812
    redwolf8812 Member Posts: 580
    edited February 2014

So sorry about Pepper, Teri.

I've been following this thread and feel as I've been reading a wonderful, bittersweet story. I just can't get enough of that Deuce and hope you find him soon. I also hope someone really writes a book about your experience with him - it's amazing.

Happy really-belated birthday, also. You mentioned that you enjoyed pictures of where everyone is from. I'm from Atlantic County, New Jersey. Our "mascot" is "Lucy the Elephant". She was built to attract home-buyers to the area (when it was just beach and ocean) many, many years ago, and is now a museum. I'm going to try to post a picture here:

Hope you can see her.  She's the most majestic thing you'll ever see in South Jersey LOL.

Love,

Penny

20130502 Member Posts: 162
    edited February 2014
  • Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited February 2014

From your description Miss Pepper Goat left a wellspring of love and good memories in your heart! What a legacy for you and the other goats in the herd. She sounds special and I am sorry you lost her. I surely hope the new nurse and hospice has tried to get on better footing this time. Take care.

• kjones13
    kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited February 2014

sorry for your loss. Any sign of duece?

• dmacw
    dmacw Member Posts: 64
    edited February 2014

Sorry Teri.  

Donna

• stagefree
    stagefree Member Posts: 360
    edited February 2014

sorry for your loss Terri.. was away for sometime, missed your news? Hope your days are still manageable..

hugs, huge ones,

Ebru

• pajim
    pajim Member Posts: 930
    edited February 2014

My condolences on the loss of Pepper-goat.   No condolences on the loss of the 2nd hospice, but I hope your new nurse turns out to be the greatest.

We had spring here (well, January thaw?  But it FELT like spring) for three days.  Snow pack melted.  Back to winter, sigh. 

Wishing you the very best side-effect free and pain-free day.

Pam

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited February 2014

I was just perusing my FB feed and think maybe this might be Deuce hamming it up at The Gentle Barn in California......

• kjones13
    kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited February 2014

I just love these little guy's!

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited February 2014

Kjones, they are adorable!

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited February 2014

(((Teri))) I just read the news about Pepper-goat:( I remember the picture you posted of her with Martha, Domino, and Jet. Pepper had such pretty coloring... a sprinkling of black pepper on her back! Thank you for sharing so much of your life with us... we truly share in your joys and sorrows, Teri. Sending love and condolences for the loss of Pepper...

Rose.

• Mompsych
    Mompsych Member Posts: 88
    edited February 2014

Hi Terri,

Thinking about you and wondering how the new hospice nurse is working out. Hope she/he is a kind and gentle soul.

Marian

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited February 2014

Hi Teri!  Hope you are feeling as good as possible and as pain free as possible.

Still spending time with my brother and his family and its wonderful!  The girls are delightful and at ages seven and three are just full of beans..........lol.........and it is lovely that they insist on a morning snuggle with me before the day begins.  I'm not looking forward to heading home on Saturday as I know I will miss them greatly.  The good thing is, that I now know that drive, although long, is not a difficult one so I can surely do it again at a future date.

Have a great day!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Hortense
    edited February 2014

Hi Teri !  I decided to go back to the beginning of this thread and reread what you had originally written and also what you posted about Deuce going AWOL. I found the picture you put up on page 10 of Richard's barn with your goats among his herd - what clean barn! Pepper Goat was very pretty.  Has Richard spotted Deuce since he was hanging out at the junkyard? Funny how spooky some animals can become, even when they know food is available. While I have never tried to catch a goat, I did have to catch straying sheep a million years ago. They would come to the sound of a bucket of sweet feed being shaken around. Most of the horses I have known would come to bucket of grain also, unless they were feeling contrary, which could be often and usually just when you really, reeeaaally needed to get them in in a hurry, like when a big storm was barreling down and lighting was threatening. OMG! That could be scary. The wind would get under their tails and they would get a particularly devilish look in their eyes and a mischievous arch to their necks and the games would begin ... How one of us didn't get killed I will never know.

• Vadre
    Vadre Member Posts: 159
    edited February 2014

Dear Teri & Friends,

I'm relatively new to joining in these conversations on BCO. Still figuring out how it all works and which topics I want to join in. When I saw the topic of this thread I knew that I wanted to be a part of this group. I have read the thread from the beginning because I think I needed to in order to respect your openness and willingness to share this time with others.  

Teri, I respect you so much. You seem to have a wonderful ability to push for change and to question authority when needed but to also accept reality, however shitty, rather than add more negative anguish to your situation. Your ability to say, right out loud "I'm scared" and to ask for support is beautiful. Then to graciously set limits to conversation when it strays, because this is YOUR conversation shows a power, confidence and caring that is awesome.  I hope that I can be as gracious, open and real as you are when I am staring Hospice in the face. 

My religious beliefs are not cast in cement, though they once were. One thing that I do believe is that old saying "What goes around, comes around."  However it works I do believe that what we cast out into the universe through our treatment of people, animals and Mother Earth, come back to us as time passes. I don't know you, but in have watched (read) these last sixt-ish months of you life. You obviously care about people, animals and the beauty of this world. I do hope that you find that lovely way of living come back to you through those who care for you at home. It is clear that it is coming back to you here,

Thank you for sharing your walk. I hope that I can offer some help and comfort along the way!

Peace and a day free of side affects!

Virginia

• Hortense
    edited February 2014

I also read how tired you were and how much you were sleeping, so I understand that you may be reading this thread, but not responding. Just know that we are still here and thinking about you. I also found your website with the pictures you paint. They are really very good. I wish I could paint. I particularly liked the Hydrangeas as we have loads of them around here in the summer.

We've been having a melt around here which has been sooooo nice. Our snow had compacted into ice and was miserable. A lot of it has gone now, leaving frozen ice banks, but to my surprise, we have been experiencing sun flurries. The sun will be out and strong, then it snows heavily, right through the sunshine! It's very pretty and rather strange at the same time. I hear we are to get another 8-10" of snow on Monday which feels so wrong. 

Some Forsythia branches I cut and put in a vase to force last week are starting to gain color already, which is great. I did discover some snowdrops blooming on the south facing hillside when I went out to see if the foxes are using their old den - they are. Here's a picture I managed to get two years ago with a Critter Cam: