Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Time for hospice and Im really scared

Comments

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited February 2014

Hi Teri, just dropped in for a short hello.

Leah

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited February 2014

Hortense, what a great photo!!! We had a fox that lived in a little brushy area in our back yard, but have not seen it for a while. We miss it. Isn't it funny how we get so attached to the animals in our world? There is one great blue heron that visits our small lake nearby, and we see him flying in or out in the mornings and evenings, so graceful. And there is a swan that seemed to have adopted or been adopted by a few geese - rather odd - but they all seem happy enough together - we wonder about the swan's partner as I think they usually bond for life.

Teri, sending you much lovingkindness across the miles. I know you are very tired, hope you can feel the love we are sending your way each day. Wishing you gentle rest and peace today.

I had fluid accumulating around my lungs again, and after they drained off nearly 3 cups of fluid, I can breathe a bit easier again tonight! Teri, I hope you are finding some relief for your breathing difficulties.

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited February 2014

Hortense- I love the photo of the foxes and kits! amazing. Did you get that camera from national Geographic? I saw them in a Xmas catalogue, but didn't know if the camera really worked or not.

LindaN3- glad to hear you are feeling better and can breathe better. We have Herons who try and eat our fish out of our tiny pond. Nothing scares them either.. bold buggers. Beautiful to see up close.

Teri- I hope you are staying warm and dry and COMFORTABLE! Is this new nurse any better? We all hope so. I think about you every day and send you lovingkindness and Prayers for peace and contentment. Hoping your days are as pain free as possible. cindi

• Hortense
    Hortense Member Posts: 718
    edited February 2014

The camera is outside right now, strapped to a tree, but not working as it needs new batteries. I will have to go down there and get it, but on the pictures it stamps "Stealth Cam" so that may be the brand. I bought it about four years ago for my husband who never used it so I started using it. The picture here was taken with my cell phone of a cub sitting on our door step last April. There were four of them tearing around our yard. Unbeliveably cute.

20130502 Member Posts: 162
    edited February 2014

hi Teri,

I have been traveling for work and am headed home to the frigid east coast tomorrow morning.  It has been so nice here in California that I am sorry to leave.  Told a few more colleagues about my cancer this trip.  Went ok.  I think as I am more settled with it now people respond in what I find to be more supportive ways and are less likely to tell me what to do or to try to fix me or even to say stupid stuff.  Or maybe people on the west coast are just better listeners.  Anyway, I hope you know we are all thinking of you everyday even when we don't write.  Wishing you a wonderful cheery day tomorrow with lots of warm news filled posts and maybe even a word from or sighting of that youngster named Deuce!  Sleep tight.  Janet

• sarahsmom
    sarahsmom Member Posts: 276
    edited February 2014

Hi Teri, checking in on you! Hope your new nurse is fantastic and waiting on you hand and foot! Like in Downton Abbey, you can just ring a bell and she comes running! :-)  Anyhow, sending you a hug from far away tonight.

• Vadre
    Vadre Member Posts: 159
    edited February 2014

http://www.thepetcollective.tv/donkey-nanny-lambs/

I really hope that this link works!  I know it's not your beloved Deuce, but somehow this little tidbit reminded me of you. You obviously love mother Nature's creations, especially those of the animal kingdom. I thought that you might enjoy seeing them help take care of each other, with human assistance,  I hope that this brings a smile to your day. 

Hoping for sunshine and laughter for you today.

Virginia

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited March 2014

I missed checking in earlier - spent most of today sleeping and resting, and thinking of all of you. Teri, I hope you are resting well. May your dreams be pleasant, may you be free from pain, may you feel peace.

And yes, I am grateful that you have brought so many of us from all around the world together here. It is wonderful to be able to share the love of our animals and of each other here.

• Hortense
    edited March 2014

Good evening Teri, I hope you have found some way of easing your breathing so that you don't tire as much, and that your new nurse/s have been helpful in making you as comfortable as possible. 

In reading back in this thread I have to tell you that I am so impressed again by how thoughtful and sensitive you were about ensuring that your animals had good homes to go to. Deuce may have been an escape artist, and you certainly made a valiant effort to lure him back, but the others are settled in comfortably. Forrest looked happy as he gazed over the gate at his new home. How clever of you to have found that place. I used to worry about what would happen to my horses when I wasn't around anymore, but they went of old age first.

Some people make no plans for their pets at all. We had a neighbor who adored his two cocker spaniels. They went with him everywhere and were always in his car. Everybody was surprised to find out after he died that he had made absolutely no provision for them. His partner who lived with him, and inherited his house, heartlessly dumped both at the vet's soon afterwards to have them put down. The vet refused and instead took ownership of them. Fortunately after six months homes were found for them. 

However, others, like you, do make plans. I remember seeing a wonderful 40 year old bay horse who had a trust fund. He was the last of someone's string of polo ponies that the guy had left the trust fund to care for. At 40, the horse was hale and hearty. I actually saw him jump a 3" gate to get back to his stall when he thought we were not bringing him in for his dinner fast enough. I understand that he lived to be 42, which is very old for a horse.

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited March 2014

Teri,  your love for animals and appreciation for their gifts and character has touched me deeply. Not many people care enough about what happens to their animals. You've covered all bases.

We had a neighbor years ago who suddenly dropped dead of a heart attack. She dearly loved her border collie named Cindy. The daughter who was taking the house, was taking the dog to the pound. I told this sad tale to my daughter's teacher and she took the dog. She loved Cindy until she died of old age! I kept track of  how the border collie fared, because we sent each other Christmas cards for years. Amazing that a daughter with no pets wouldn't take her Mom's dog. She surely wanted the house! When my Mom goes, there might be a war for who gets her dog! He's a hoot a beautiful black and tan cocker they found wandering on the side of the road. No one claimed him. He's so well behaved and friendly.

Good night. Hope tomorrow is pain free and restful. Cindi

• sarahsmom
    edited March 2014

Hi Teri! I love this quote and thought of you: “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.”   A.A. Milne,

Winnie-the-Pooh.  

Hope you're resting comfortably today and that Deuce pops in. I read somewhere that fried chicken is the best way to lure animals to where you want them to be - do you think he would like some KFC? :-)

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited March 2014

Hi Teri!,  just a quick pop in as I'm about to leave on my second leg of my journey home.........I have another 700 kilometres to drive today and then home.......yipppeeee!

I have been checking for goats all the way but so far have only seen a paddock with black faced goats........I'm not sure but it is possible he was hiding amongst them but as I was on the high way it was impossible to stop to get a good look or snap a pic.

Hoping your are comfortable and as pain free as possible.

Love n hugs.    Chrissy

• Brendatrue
    Brendatrue Member Posts: 487
    edited March 2014

Teri,

Just dropped in to remind you that I am thinking of you and holding hope that each day will bring you what you need. I also hope you continue to feel the support of all the people who care for you.

• dawny
    dawny Member Posts: 588
    edited March 2014

Waving to Teri!

Dawn.  xxx

• Hortense
    edited March 2014

Good evening Teri! I hope you have been resting comfortably.

I just baked the best gingerbread from scratch. I wish I could forward some to you, all warm and fragrant. I have been trying to avoid sugar, as I know it is not good for us, but my resolve utterly failed with this -actually, it's made with dark molasses. I've eaten far more than my fair share, but it was so good. Yum!!! My grown kids are here and I wanted to make a treat for all of us. Tomorrow morning I am planning to make blue corn pancakes. I hadn't been able to face them after having some during chemo, but I tried them last week and they tasted good again. My husband and kids love them. They remind us of a trip we took to the southwest a few years ago when we stayed on the navajo reservation for about ten days. I was able to get some roasted blue corn flour sent to me by the woman who grinds it.

I am looking for signs of spring which is very slow to arrive this year, but I haven't found many. We are expecting another 8" of snow on Monday :(   What I look forward to is finding newborn fawns. Here are a few from last year and the year before. We just come across them in the pastures by happy accident.

edited March 2014

i know the last time I tried to share a Facebook link it did not work.....but if you can see this Teri....maybe if we could build a playground like this for Deuce he would relent and come home from his wanderings.  We are getting hit with another storm tonight.  I hope I make it to Fairfax VA tomorrow. I am supposed to get to finally start treatment in a clinical trial there.  Because of the snow I am taking the train instead of driving.  Wish me luck! 

Janet

https://www.facebook.com/NadiaJarreau/posts/10203389797175700

• Hortense
    edited March 2014

Teri, you described yourself as a Hippie which got me thinking. While I was never really a hippie - I left that to my sister who was definitely a flower child who used to drop acid with Timothy Leary, I did get to go to the original Woodstock in 1969. I went with my future husband the summer before we were married. My daughter ran across some pictures he had taken there and scanned them into my computer. I wish we had taken millions more pictures, but there was so much to see that we forgot to. 

Here's some kid we spotted sleeping in his VW's trunk. I hope you have been sleeping more comfortably than it looks like this guy did. It had poured before we got there. Everyone was still damp and the ground was muddy, so sleeping somewhere high and dry made sense.

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited March 2014

Hi Teri.  Thinking of you and hoping you're as snug as a bug in your bed right now sleeping soundly.  Did you watch the Oscars tonight?  My favorite redneck Buddha had a big night.  Loved Dallas Buyers Club, it was a very powerful movie for me.  Aids in the '80s was where breast cancer is now, for us.  Someday, breast cancer may be referred to as a chronic disease, someday.

Goodnight, sleep tight!

• chrissyb
    edited March 2014

Hi ya Teri!!  I'm finally home after a long road trip and a fabulous six days spent with my baby brother and his family and I enjoyed every minute of it...........now I need a week to get over it........lol.

Hope the sun is shinning for you so you can get some outside time.

Love n hugs.    Chrissy

• Hortense
    edited March 2014

10º outside last night and a light dusting of the driest snow this morning. The big storm slipped by below us, thankfully. I was able to sweep the snow away rather than shovel which was nice. I could hear the Atlantic Ocean roaring from Main Street while doing errands. It must have been wild, but I didn't go down to see it. 

I hope you are resting comfortably and can get outside a bit to enjoy what must be warmer weather than on the East coast. Are you able to sleep or breathe any better? How are you feeling, both physically and emotionally? I hope you are feeling more at ease with your situation, that your new hospice set up is working for you and that your family is surrounding you with support. I know that all of us send you ours. 

((( Hugs)))

• sarahsmom
    edited March 2014

Hey Teri, just stopping by to say hi! Some great pictures on here, love the fawns, goats and the VW, Hortense - too funny! Reminds me of my military days, we could sleep anywhere.  We miss you, hope you check in soon. Lots of hugs from the sandbox, already in the high 80s here, ugh!

• shazzakelly
    shazzakelly Member Posts: 620
    edited March 2014

Hi Terri, I hope you are safe and warm and pain free. This is a picture of my latest foster kitten. She's cute as a button and busy as a bee. She never stops, always racing around. 

edited March 2014

good morning Teri,

Stopping in to ask the question most supportive to me when people ask......NO right or wrong answers....

How are you doing today?  Hand squeezes and hugs whatever the answer.  Just letting you know you are important and we are here.

Janet

• kjones13
    kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited March 2014

couldn't resist sharing

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    edited March 2014

great pics. 

Teri hope you are comfortable  sending love,warmth and the deepest respect for you. What an amazing person 

• dmacw
    dmacw Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2014

Just dropped by to see if we heard from Teri.  

Donna

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited March 2014

Teri................you don't know me, but I was lookng for Chrissy B on search,and just happen to see that she had spoken with you in her line of posts........I decided to read your story, and was touched.

I want you to know that I will be praying for you, and hope you are at peace..........I know how difficult it is to leave your animals......they are like your children.

So again, love, hope and prayers for you..........God Bless you........

• Vadre
    Vadre Member Posts: 159
    edited March 2014

Just checking in to bring some hugs & love!  Can't offer sunshine 'cause it's grey and cold here in my part of Virginia. I've been thinking of you often. No pressure to respond, just stopping by. 

Virginia

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited March 2014

Teri, how are you doing?

Leah

• chrissyb
    edited March 2014

Hi Teri!!

Hoping you are pain free and able to sit and see the outdoors even if you cant get out it's good to be able to see.

Love the pics of the kitten and the little pig.....soooo cute!!!  Just makes me want to jump right in so I can give them cuddles!

It's nice to be home!  I love to travel but returning to my little patch is the best of feelings.

Love n hugs.   Chrissy