Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Options

Comments

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 687
    Options

Kittykat - I hope that gets you feeling stronger soon and in your pocket for radiation results.

Mae - your picture fit's right in with the theme. I'm glad you were able to find the thread. That would freak me out too.

Mara - you have my empathy. I sweat like crazy walking in the heat and it takes me a while to cool down.

I am still waiting to talk to the neuro. At the end of the week I have to see if I am cleared by employee health to go back to work. My pain is better, not gone, but probably tolerable enough to go back to work. I got some raspberry plants, strawberries and a tomato plant to get the garden going. I'm going to do corn and beans from seed and I'm going to do three more tomatoes but the co-op was pretty thinned out from mother's day so I may need to go to Home Depot to find the varieties I'm looking for. We are in a weird heat wave for this time of year. It's been low 90s for the last few days and will be high 80s for the rest of the week. The roses are loving it.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,165
    Options

Mae, enjoy your morning hikes.

I am sorry for those suffering the chin numbness and arm spasms, annoying and frightening at the same time. In pockets if further treatments are required.

Sadies servant, glad you got to walk your lovely dog yesterday as well, makes everything better.

Sunshine, planning to cook the hotdogs to well done on my machine, they taste better than boiling to me. Probably will skip the buns and eat with eggs or pancakes or in the pancake. We will see.

My day will include a shorter mall walk, want to do whole trip in 90 minutes to save money on the bus. Not sure if buying anything but have 10.00 walmart GC should I choose too. Laundry, surveys, PT and the mall walk are about it for me today. Baking some wash soda for laundry and once that is done, breakfast of 2 poached eggs with runny yoke and toasted hotdog with 1/4 cup beans, little cheese and wheat bran mix as well. They will be prepared separately, only chopping up beans, cheese and bran. Pain to do each separate but for the best. Putting big chopping board across sink to hold the different machines needed. Should work out well.

Have a good day.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,912
    Options

Kitty~ I hope that getting some blood will help with your leg weakness and make you feel more steady. I am thinking of you and hoping you’ll feel better soon. Crossing my fingers this helps you a lot. Hugs my friend.

• micmel
    Options

Emac~ work and cancer never seem to go in a sentence together. For me that just isn’t possible. I am amazed at the fact that you’re working during this awful battle. You’re a strong woman. I hope you won’t push it though. Listen to your body. Good luck if you return.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,502
    Options

Good morning

I’m at PT reading along.

Mittykat Im glad the transfusion is giving you a boost. Pocket duty with kale bites and Starbucks waiting for your results.

Sadieservant happy to hear you got to go for a walk. It’s pleasant to do normal thing when God knows what is going on inside.

Mae welcome home. I will try planting some more today. I’m taking it slow.

Mara sometimes I have the strength to resist the hot dog bun. I don’t really like the bun but it’s so convenient and such a habit.

Emac I planted bean seed and peas but used peppers and started tomatoes. I have okra and tomato seeds to plant. I hope what ever you need to do with work is made easy for you.

May the numbness leave all those struggling with it.

Sending warm wishes and hugs to anyone who needs it today.!I need it!

Tanya

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 696
    Options

@micmel Yes I am a BIG sweets fan over the salty stuff. I try to make some lowfat/low sugar desserts so I can have my cake and it too lol. Glad you were able to have a nice Mother's

@emac877 Glad you are feeling somewhat better. Agree you are an amazing strong woman so I hope you are cleared for work soon, fingers crossed. I plan to also pop in Lowe's or HD for tomato's had luck last year with them. Think I may get cucumbers too, I try to stick with the easy plants lol.

@mara51506 Enjoy your Walmart trip I love hearing your money saving ideas. After reading your posts I am inspired to do more! Hope it's a nice day for a long walk.

@kittykat9876 Glad your radiation is finished and I'm sending prayers and positive vibes for good results. I hope you feel stronger each day 🤞

Wishing everyone a good day and continued positivity as we face our daily struggles.

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    Options

Tanya , as many hugs as you need and warm wishes to you .

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

Emac - I saw that heatwave on the news after seeing you and some other ladies complaining on here about having A/C on?! Amazing, way too hot this early.

After buying THREE bad bags of potatoes from three different supermarkets this past two weeks, Im determined to do potatoes in a grow bag in the backyard this year. We have some pots that need some new flowers planted and Ill do some herbs as well. But I forgot about fruit plants! Id much rather have some raspberries end of summer. Its just about strawberry season here and not much point to planting your own when they come in super sweet at the store. Ive found that underripe blackberries work well for those grapefruit sour cravings, since lord knows grapefruit interacts with every drug under the sun.

Pool day today and PT tomorrow, Im walking so good lately although I have to work on distance/endurance. But that will come. Unfortunately pool day makes me want to eat ALL the things - just had stir fry for dinner and now eyeing up a banana. Maybe Ill pop a mint and watch tv instead.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

kittykat- how low are your white blood counts? With my current chemo, as I get closer to nadir, I get what I call chemo legs where they are as unstable as noodles. I worry about falling as I head to the restroom. Wondering if low WB counts could be my issue, too

Hope you get your strength back quickly.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420
    Options

@,dodgersgirl, mine are .70 so like you I feel like those wobbly balloon creatures outside car show rooms, my oncologist is so worried about me that I've had weekly blood tests which is how we knew I needed 2 units of blood, I hope you get an answer as to why you feel so unsteady on your feet. Thanks everyone for your well wishes, hopefully I'll be feeling more steady on my feet very soon

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

KittyKat— thanks for sharing your experiences. My WBC seems similar to yours. Think I will call my MO.

Again, hoping the blood gives you leg strength quickly.

• emac877
    Options

Sadiesservant - I hope your leg continues t o heal and you can get that CT soon.

Sondraf - grapefruit sounds amazing but you're right it's sad that it interacts with everything.

Kittykat and Dodgersgirl - may you both get stronger.

SFCakes - I hope you are healing quickly from the vertebroplasty.

Thank you for the well wishes. I am certainly not feeling strong today. Got the berries in and worked on the sprinkler system but I have a whole section not working and discovered the control panel is broken. That's beyond my know-how so I will need help. I also can not move soil to add to the raised beds where the old plants came out so I am getting help with that also. After a short trip to the grocery store I came home and slept for two hours and just can't get going again. I was careful but my back is still very sore so I am calling it a day and resting on the heating pad now. I did find some tomato plants at Fred Meyer (Kroger) while getting groceries so I will get those in soon if I can get help with soil.

• mara51506
    edited May 2023
    Options

kitty, hoping the blood helps as well, hard to be unsteady on the feet, in your pocket. I wonder if more cooked spinach in meals or black beans added could aid in the blood counts going up, it helped for me. I understand if you already do this or cannot eat them. I chop up my beans but my anemia and lightheadedness went away after.

Emac, I'm glad you understand the sweat and I am amazed you can still work. Sometimes I wish I still could have as well. You are strong indeed.

Tanya, I have no problem with avoiding hot dog buns, I am going to fashion my own wrap out of pancake mix, make it thinner. Season it, cook in sandwich maker.

Sondra F, I am sure you will be able to grow those potatoes. Three bad bags of potatoes really stinks. Glad you got out for pool time and walking. Stir fry sounds great.

Post edit, I checked my fridge and freezer, no room for food until I start using more of it up, no need to spend money on anything right now. Instead of outdoor, will do some Paul Eugene senior gold. I don't sit, I stand, nice 10 min workout, do it after a meal.

• mara51506
    Options

So breakfast was 1/8 cup black beans, 1/8th cup white rice, added some chicken seasoning, little cheese and some spinach. Chopped those up in chopper and put on plate. Prepared two poached eggs, came out fully cooked, not runny, fine with that. Put on top of bean/cheese and spinach mixture which did include wheat bran to make sure texture was not weird. Toasted a chicken wiener in the machine, cut up on top. Ranch and mayo mixed with steak seasoning and garlic seasoning made it taste really good and the small portions allowed me to have everything I wanted.

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 210
    Options

@kittykat9876 , I hope the blood helped! How did you do with the brain radiation? I may need it in the future….

• micmel
    edited May 2023
    Options

AJ~Mara and Mae both have experience in the brain area. They should also be a big help. They have been our go to source for questions in this area.
    Kitty~ I hope you’re doing good. It’s always nice to see you.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420
    Options

@ micmel, I feel a bit stronger, I don't see the RO until the 24th May so I'm putting it out of my mind until then no point stressing about something I can't change

• mara51506
    edited May 2023
    Options

@AJ Mae has had more spot treatment of brain mets so if that is suggested, she is good for that information. I have had Whole brain radiation so that is my area of good information should you need that.

I am still unsure what I want to do, larger laundry today, surveys and other money making still going. Resisting urge to shop for food until more can fit in freezer and fridge.. Planning to chop up a chicken dog, 1/4 cup beans, wheat bran and spinach. Season up with chicken stock. Use that dry as I am not a soup person. Cook up a hashbrown as well to go in the mix. Good sturdy breakfast. Also going to check out making super thin pancake with more water and see if I can make a quasi tortilla thickness thing to eat as sort of toast. We will see.

I did put a super thin pancake in my sandwich maker so it would cook without spreading out. I also tried toasting, one side became slightly crisp so will try again. Put the premade sandwich maker on for longer OR put the precooked wee pancake the bake in the oven at high temp and flip in between. That gives me something fun to try out between meals. What I made did not taste bad, just soft.

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 210
    Options

@mara51506 , thanks! You and I have communicated before about this and I’m thankful. It sounds a little less scary than I was imagining.

• micmel
    Options

Mara~how did you get started on your surveys? You’re always mentioning them so I was just wondering how you got started.
    Getting ready for bed. I’m guessing people are having issues not liking the new format . Missing some peeps. Hope to see our regulars back to stay. Again.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,093
    Options

Hey everybody. So here and reading, just not much to say.

Kitty - I hope the transfusions help increase your strength so that you feel you can get around securely.

Mara- I've been wondering if Bisquick would round out your quick bread options, in addition to pancake mix. It used to be a staple in my house, and I may have to think about keeping it on hand again.

The kids were all here for Mothers Day. It was the first time I'd seen my son since last summer. We had a great weekend, and I was thoroughly worn out on Monday. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat

• mara51506
    edited May 2023
    Options

Mel, I got started when i worked at home. I would finish calls and start looking around for extra sites to bring in extra cash. Swagbucks is my main, stayed with that for a long time. They are good, if you want a list of sites I use for surveys or other stuff I do, I will PM you and let you know what I use. Numerous easy ways to make a couple bucks. If you have a firetv plugged in, you can watch videos and get paid for when the ads play, just mute it. Here is a link to many sites that allow surveys or other ways to make a bit of pocket change. https://www.swagbucks.com/articles/5-sites-like-swagbucks-worth-checking-out

I am trying out drying out my used teabags as they are an excellent deodorizer for many things and other than that, pretty quiet day ahead.

Edited to add, fell asleep for a couple of hours and immediately had a craving for Taco Bell, I have saved money so allowed myself to have it today. Horrible for diet but really satisfies a craving for me as well.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 539
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hello everyone, checking in and reading along. I'm still unsure how I feel about this new site upgrade, I think I need to search around it a bit more.

Am recovering from my vertebroplasty last week, feel mostly recovered, although the surgeon said it would be a couple of weeks before we can accurately assess the amount of pain relief I may get from it. Happy to report that I'm already feeling some relief, down from three tramadol per day to one.

Heading out to get a zometa infusion and a shot of lupron, had my teeth cleaned this morning and dentist said my mouth looks good. At least SOME part of me looks good, lol. Wearing my long black tunic with white polka dots, my soft grey coat with black polka dots, and a cream colored scarf with little black polka dots! Oh, and my prescription sunglasses are black with white polka dots. It's just that kind of day.

Love to all ❤️

• micmel
    Options

good to see you Sfcakes I’m still getting used to the new platform. But I find I need my support system here too. Sending hugs your way.
    mara~ thanks for the information. I may be asking for further details.
    woke up from nap not feeling so great. A little flu like. Not too happy about it. Dd was sick last week. DH just got done with the bug. So we shall see how I fare. Hugs to everyone!

• mara51506
    Options

SF cakes, glad that your teeth are looking good and that the pain meds are down as well, should indicate good improvement. I am loving the polka dot motif you had going on there as well.

Mel, I hope if you get something, it is mild or nothing at all. If it is flu, sending killer flu thoughts your way to get rid of them sooner.

Pretty gray and cloudy, not sure what is up for today, holiday weekend in Canada for Victoria day. I never have done the getting together and camping which is pretty traditional but hope others enjoy their day and get some decent weather.

Not sure what I want to do today. So far I woke up from a good sleep yelling at someone, cannot remember what I was dreaming about but the sleep overall was good. Did my best to repair the cat scratcher with some new twine for the cats. We will see if they use it. Laundry, survey stuff and trying to decide what I want for breakfast. I was bad yesterday and got Taco Bell which was good but filled me up to the point supper was not happening, make up for lack of nutrition today I think. Not sure what I am eating right now. Will post if it is not repeat or possibly interesting. Thinking of an egg bake idea with sausage, eggs and cheese of course and some pancake mix to hold the form. We will see.

• mara51506
    Options

Update, I did make pancakes that included chopped black beans and bran for fiber. Added maple and brown sugar in the chopper, put pancake mix and enough water to stir. I should have done two cycles as the top shelf of sandwich maker had leak on one side, otherwise they were good. I will make them smaller if putting that much stuff in as I could only finish just over half. Taste and everything were good, could not detect beans in there at all.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    Options

Hi All,

I check in occasionally but yes, the changes are largely keeping me away as I find the site has gone from irritating to impossible to navigate easily. Even something as simple as ensuring you land on the same place when you use the back arrow, instead of going to the top of the page, would be a huge improvement. Great to be able to easily get to my favourites but that’s not the only thread I want to read - or did read, at least in the past. Unfortunately, the changes have missed the mark and telling us there will be learning curves is off putting to me. This site should be as accessible as possible given the health issues we face. (And BTW, I’m pretty good with technology having spent my entire career working with computers - it’s not me…)

Okay, rant over. Generally doing okay but definitely failing. It’s all come a bit quicker than I anticipated it would and I feel like I’m scrambling now to try to ensure I have the support I need in place. I’m still pretty with it so hopefully can still continue to take care of the ongoing “to do” list but tire out very quickly. Breathing deteriorating again. Still waiting on the results of the scan to see if there is a bleed in my kidney. I’m also wondering how much fluid I have in my belly as I’m getting a bit uncomfortable after eating. RO did have a quick look at the unreported scan and feels the head is clear which is great but doesn’t explain the numb chin. But it’s not really bothering me that much so happy to leave it alone.

Mel, hope the bug passes you by. Sending hugs to everyone.

• emac877
    Options

Oh my goodness Mara, a nap and Taco Bell sound amazing right now!

I saw my PCP via video yesterday and she did not approve me to go back to work. My back pain is better but my fatigue isn't and she feels it would be best to extend me to June 2nd. That's okay. I really don't feel good anyway so I don't mind having more time to rest. I did get in to see the neurosurgeon on July 7th and I will have my maintenance CT scan on June 29th so he will have access to that. I am mostly done with getting the yard cleaned up from winter and ready for spring/summer. I am really fighting a lot of fatigue and so it's taken me a while. I'm just down to maintenance stuff now though so it won't feel so overwhelming soon.

Mel- you were mentioning some of the routine regulars from a while back and I found myself thinking of Runor the other day. I miss her, her posts were always well written and interesting to read. I know she finished her cancer treatment so I hope she is doing well. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Still thinking of Dodgersgirl, Sadiesservant and KittyKat also as well as the rest of the group. Waving hello.

• micmel
    Options

emac~right before the change over she emailed me and she’s doing ok. She said to spread around her hellos. Shes working hard on the mountain. Her DH is having some issues. I think of her often. She always manages to keep in touch. Like some of the lurkers do. I hope we can get our sisters back.
    sadie~ I hate to hear that it sounds like you’re having a hard time. You just can’t seem to catch a break. Please know I’m in your pocket and am thinking about you and sending strength …. Kitty. You too.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 490
    Options

Hi to all you lovely ladies and gents,

Back in 2019 when I was first diagnosed I use to find so much information, comfort and love in your particular thread. Now that I'm stage 4, thought I'd introduce or reintroduce myself, Irishlove. It was the name of one of my rescue dogs that really touched my heart and soul. IYou know how a dog comes along once and if your lucky twice (or more) in your lifetime that was extra special? We were blessed to live in Boone, NC at that time and would rescue as many special needs only, dogs. The cats just found us, for the most part. We had at any given time 7 dogs and 5 cats. We moved to Florida in 2019 to be near family. Only one grandchild and so Nanny and Papa wanted to be close

Our DD and DGD live with us since Jan.. 2022. Not sure what the path forward looks like for our DD as she is married but??? I stay way out of that. DGD, is 9 years old and really entertains us. We have 2 dogs and this is probably our last rescues. Both pitties mixes and were used as bait dogs. sigh. One outside cat we inherited from last resident and I feed the birds, squirrels, raccoons and possums. Mostly feed the squirrels, lol.

I use to be an optician until MS hit me pretty hard and I could no longer work. Still miss my career. DH was a Law Enforcement officer for close to 40 years. He worked until he was 70 and then did some security work. Finally retired at 72. We've been married 43 years. He was recently diagnosed with CLL, a slow moving leukemia. So far no treatment and only symptoms seems to be fatigue and elev. I believe, Red blood cells and lymphocytes. He's always been healthy and walked a beat for 20 years. Blessed to say he's one of the good ones and a very good caretaker. He drains this port that is in my chest twice a week so we don't need home health.

I hope to visit with you all on Mel's porch and share the good, the not so good and the mundane. Irishlove aka Laurel