Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,446

Chicagoan, you have made me hungry at this late hour. That sounds really good and love all the food options you got out of that. You give me a lot of ideas although I have to eat my existing stock before expanding. I also think about Carol as well, I miss her and also hoping she is comfortable.

Mel, I am hugging right now, I hope you can feel it. I can empathize with the pain of losing a dear friend and her fighting to hold on. I am glad you got to talk to her, even by phone. That will stay in your memory. I empathize with her family and other friends too. Hard situation to deal with for all. In your pocket as well sending strength.

I do hope Mae is OK.

• mara51506

Post above was supposed to be posted last night.

I had a nice sleep, purchased a real sleep mask, not a dollar store variety, what a difference it made, was total blackout and comfortable, adjustable strap as well.

Doing the usual chores, got to get serious about the recycling though, goes out tomorrow night, prefer to have it done before needed. Redoing laundry due to forgetting to finish it last night. Shorter cycle though. No wee washer today though, just straight up laundry. Dryer is already going.

My meal plan has me thinking about making up a crustless pizza possibly. I want to get pepperoni in the future and just put the toppings of a pizza in the frypan, thinking peppers, cheez whiz, possibly get green chopped olives and mix in some beans. I would have to get those items next time I buy groceries. I also want frozen vegetables though I may wind up chopping them up. No room in the freezer yet, some would have to go in the fridge as freezer is still quite full but also shuts without having tape and fridge magnets holding it closed. I did plot out a smaller freezer BUT the living room would become too narrow as the depth of said freezer would be very wide and liking the way the room is now, lot of stuff but easy to walk through. I may make a breakfast type meal by scrambling eggs, bacon, the potato things and beefless ground. Start a fry first with peppers, onions and beefless ground and if not using a scrambled egg, do a chop mix with croutons and dump it in with the the peppers and onions, I will see what happens. I don't mind if I get leftovers out of it either.

Anyway, hoping all have a good day, thinking of Mae and anyone affected by the Hurricane, and our dear Mel, in pockets for all who need me and my own to get chores done properly. Stop starting one and getting busy with other stuff. Bad habit, going to get rid of it.

• mara51506
    edited October 1

Have to add, made potato, two eggs and bacon, put all in the magic bullet. While I worked on those, heated up frypan with a light spray of cooking spray and decided on the spot to add a bit of garlic spread and some butter as well, heated the pan to high and stirred it all, took probably two minutes for all. Stirred whole time so nothing burned, because of the butter and garlic in pan, did not need to bind with anything, just scooped out on a plate and lightly salted. The cubed potatoes were not hashbrown like but just regular potatoes, that was fine with me. Beans will wait until later. Also have to say, all the garlic and butter could make plain eggs good to go in a tortilla. Have not got rid of them yet.

Another thing I have been mulling over is plugging a heater fan in, not a block heater but one with a fan and to see how long it would take stuff to dry, no clothes can meet the heater so no risk. I just want to see how that could work and allow a no heat fluff in the dryer. Just a thought. My mind is always coming up with stuff to do.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,542

Hi All, If you feel inclined, please chime in with what you want people to know about Breast Cancer Awareness Month, from your perspective of someone with MBC. We need to hear all perspectives to share out!

• mara51506
    edited October 2

Cooking possible fail, I was going to do two eggs and bacon in the magic bullet and thought about adding milk but I added too much. Already greased pan and added cheez whiz and spreadable garlic, I decided to try adding some taco seasoning and beefless ground to save it. Will post after I try it If it does not taste good, not sure what I will do. Got it sitting on the burner, no heat, just with a lid on the pan.

I did save it from the excess milk in it. I added the beefless ground, package of taco seasoning and a bunch of sour cream seasoning. It did not need any binding agent and there are leftovers. I will be eating again this evening but include some tortilla chips this time. I really enjoyed this, pretty spicy but no matter.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,630

Mara - Did you get your sleep mask on Amazon? I look at them from time to time and think about getting one, since I've heard so many good things about how well they block the light. I'm in the city, so even at night I have a lot of light around me. I'm really wondering if a sleep mask isn't the answer. Glad to hear that you got good results.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,039

Mara-If you can, please post the sleep mask that you bought. I need to get a new one but I have a big head (probably in more ways than one😄) and it's hard to find one that is comfortable.

• threetree

Re benefits that a sleep mask might offer, here are these articles about light exposure and disrupted sleep from Foodforbreastcancer (oldest first):

https://foodforbreastcancer.com/news/disrupted-sleep-may-be-associated-with-worse-breast-cancer-survival

https://foodforbreastcancer.com/news/sleeping-short-hours-or-in-the-presence-of-light-linked-to-bc-risk

https://foodforbreastcancer.com/news/exposure-to-blue-outdoor-light-at-night-increases-breast-cancer-risk

https://foodforbreastcancer.com/news/dim-light-at-night-promotes-bone-metastasis-in-er%2B-slash-pr%2B-mouse-model

• threetree
    edited October 3

Mara - Thanks very much for posting the links. I'm going to look at them, the reviews, etc. and take this issue up again. I often think I want one, but then get confused and drop the idea when I see all the different ones available, and can't make a choice.

Enjoy your walks. I've been taking a lot of them lately and am just loving it.

Faslodex shots later today. Never a pleasant experience. Oftentimes go to lunch with my friend who drives me afterward, but she can't got to lunch as she is needing to prepare for a colonoscopy, so can't look forward to that. Oh well, at least I'm still here.

• mara51506

Can you order up a good lunch and enjoy anyway? Treat yourself if you can. As far as the other sleep masks the thing I like about these are that when you close your eyes, it does not feel like it is squishing you. Anyway good luck today.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,039

Thanks for posting the link Mara. I put one in my Amazon Cart!

• threetree

Thanks Mara. Actually, I live in a small business district that has a few places to eat. After my friend drops me off back here at home, I can take myself out if I really want to - or get take out. I've got Thai, Mexican, Panda Express, and a brewery with good old standard burger, soup, and salad sort of places to choose from. I'll figure something out. I feel bad for my friend, but next time we can do our usual thing.

• mara51506

I did the pizza sort of vibe, put in green olives, shredded cheese, diced onions, peppers and two eggs along with the pepperoni. Cooked on high heat initially with cooking spray and butter, got it covered no heat now to finish up. Not sure if it will need any seasoning as of now beyond a bit of salt. Some of the olive juice got in but am not worried about that. Will post in a bit to say if it was good or not.

• mara51506

Due to hunger, keeping breakfast simple, taking a frozen fettucine alfredo, add 1 egg and lentils in, microwave for 4 mins, semi nutritious.

Finally unboxed new hand vac that does wet and dry messes which is good, poor Tigger upchucked a couple of times today. The hand vac picked it all up, just dumped into the toilet and washed out in sink, instead of a filter it has a sponge which is interesting. I like that it does wet and dry and just a sponge, easy to take apart and clean out which is good. I have worried for Tigger so gave some wet food and taking it easy on the amount I give him.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 575

@micmel, my thoughts are with you today as I saw on the memoriam thread that your very dear friend has passed. Words cannot convey enough so I will have to settle with a gentle and long virtual hug from Australia.