Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Oh, sadiesservent, what a bummer. I'm so sorry. Will the nephrostomy tube work better than the stents? I'm sorry you're in pain. Sending hugs…

Emac877, that's exactly what I'm experiencing. Do you know the cause? I'm sorry you're dealing with the fatigue, but glad the GI issues are starting to calm down.

Mara, I think tofu is either a "love it" or "hate it" or maybe just a "meh" thing. It is really interesting what freezing it does. I take it out of its container, slice it, then wrap the slices in plastic wrap. I freeze it until it's solid and then set it on the counter (on a towel) to thaw. Once it is thawed, I press it between a couple of plates to squeeze the water out. It gets really spongey and then soaks up other flavors well. My MIL used to make scrambled tofu that tasted like egg salad, but I could never master that. Beef pies sound interesting. Are they like pockets or more like pot pies?

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071

Sadiesservant, I am sad to hear that your stents didn’t work out for you . I hope the nephrostomy tube is more successful. You have been through so much already and have been brave through all your treatments. You remain in my prayers and thoughts. Please keep us updated. I am sending you virtual hugs and support.

Hugs and prayers from, l

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,050

Sadie~ thinking about you and hoping things will speed up in the healing department. Hugs to all.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875

Thanks everyone. I can’t lie, it’s a bit discouraging when your body turns traitor. As if the cancer is not enough, the other parts that can fail as a consequence is definitely annoying. Kidneys falling victim to my enormous liver. Argh…

I’m finished with the tube insertion which seemed to go well and it’s certainly draining a lot from the right kidney. Not sure what that means but will ask the doc when I see him. I suspect it’s an indication there was a blockage that the stents couldn’t resolve. It will be interesting to hear what he thinks.

Thanks again for the support.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Sadie- glad to hear the tube insertion is helping to drain the kidney. What cancer does to our bodies is totally unfair.

Long trip home from Ontario. Glad to be home. Tired and feeling depressed. Had my special son out today so he lifted my spirits.

Virtual hugs to all.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,535

Sadie sending hugs for the whole situation. I’m glad the new drains are working well!

Living sending hugs to you and your special son!

Tany

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Sunshine99 -- off hand I don't know if they know a specific cause for cluster or ice pick headaches. I have heard that they can be related to migraines and nerve issues like shingles but I have never had either of those and still get these. I've had them since I was in my late teens and they are annoying little suckers.

Sadiesservant - the body turning traitor is a perfect description. I ran across a photo of myself from 6 years ago on a Facebook memory and it kind of hit me how much things have changed in that time. I can empathize with the feeling of betrayal. I hope you continue to feel better and the nephrostomy tube is more effective for you. I don't know that I've ever said how much I love your profile picture of Sadie. We had a blue merle Collie growing up and I have always thought Collies were wonderful dogs.

• sadiesservant

Thanks everyone. I’m awake in the wee hours as the doc wants hourly measures of the output from my bags. 🙄 Poor nurses!

Sadie is spoiled but collies are lovely dogs. Okay… barking aside - she has become Velcro dog with me and barks like crazy if anyone comes to our house. I think she picks up on the illness. She’s fine when we are out. They are so smart and easy to train. I call her my circus horse as she likes to “perform”. It’s one of my biggest worries - what’s going to happen with my girl…

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 722

sadiesservant - glad your 2nd kidney procedure is doing the job. Hopefully you’ll be out of “jail” soon😉😉😉😉

I’m so frustrated - was planning on shoulder replacement in early February but this issue of fatigue and shortness of breath is still bothersome. Internist won’t sign off for surgery so I have to see the pulmonologist and cardiologist for their thoughts. In the meantime I had a CT of my shoulder after my oncology CT noted a fracture. My Ortho called yesterday and informed me I have a severe fracture in the glenoid (the ball the shoulder fits in) as well as severe bone loss compared to what the X-rays had shown. I now have to wait at least 8 weeks for the shoulder to heal as he won’t be able to do any fixation of implants with the fracture. He is concerned that the fracture took place without any trauma and is referring me to the Ortho oncologist they work with. I’m glad he’s taking the step - because something funky is going on with my bones. Ever since i was dx w/MBC in 2019 and started on Ibrance and anastrozole, my joints have been rapidly deteriorating, especially during the past year. The pain is a definite red flag but my recent bone scan at the end of December zeroed in on every other joint that has yet to be replaced. I’ve done some internet searching but cannot find anything that relates bone loss to the drugs I take. I will ask my oncologist when I see her next week as to her thoughts on who to see about the problem. My rheumatologist does not believe I have RA but I wonder if this will make a difference. The real bummer is we were supposed to have a family trip to Aruba at the end of March which I now had to bail on. I had a pity party yesterday with lots of tears.

Thinking of all my sisters…..Mel - how is your sister doing

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,448

I am sorry about your shoulder fracture and being unable to get surgery right now. I'd be really upset about missing the trip also. In your pocket sending my healing thoughts.

• mara51506

Not sure what I want to do now. I had done a grocery delivery through Instacart that I was dissatisfied with yesterday so I did another one through Walmart.ca. They only swapped one item and it was more expensive than what I wanted without charging more. The fee is more reasonable for delivery. Pay 12.97 to have it delivered within 2 hours, no tip. Yesterday's order had free delivery but tip, service fee, another delivery fee etc. If I need stuff right away, will stick with the walmart delivery. May have to start filling out surveys for Walmart gift cards, I pay 3.75 for a 5.00 card on my main site.

I got another lb of ground beef which will combine with the beefless ground, extra mr noodles which I will mix with rice and only eat maybe a 1/4 cup and 2 percent chocolate milk for smoothies. I like them thicker. Looks like rain here so unsure if will stay in to walk or go out, can always put my hood up. Not sure a cane plus an umbrella will work, put phones in plastic if raining harder, one is to talk to people, other is music player. Put my hood up to protect wig. Can dry clothes on heated rack if I wish.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Sadiesservant, I'm glad the tube seems to be doing the job the stents didn't. I also hope you get to go home soon. It's hard to get rest when the nurses are checking on you every hour. Bless them, though. They were so kind when I was in the hospital, including the ones who did the 4 am blood draw.

Deb, glad you're back home, but sorry you're feeling depressed. Glad your special son lifted your spirits.

Emac, thanks for the info on the head pain. (It's not really a headache, but I don't know what else to call it.) I'll keep tracking them and mention them to my MO when I see her, or before if they get worse.

Goldens, oh brother! I'm sorry you're having to delay your shoulder surgery, but am glad your MO has referred you to an OO. I liked my OO, although I only saw her via tele-medicine. It is truly a bummer that you have to bail on your family trip to Aruba. How disappointing and frustrating, to say the least.

Mara, I know what you mean about trying to negotiate a cane and an umbrella at the same time. Add a grocery cart to that and it's quite interesting.

Waving hi to all the rest.

Love and hugs,

Carol

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Hi all, I’ve got a few pictures to hang up but the bar side is mostly done. I spent hours in there today, putting stuff away and listening to music, it was hard to leave, I absolutely love it.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Mae,

Wow. This is AWESOME! Your DH must have some big-time carpentary skills. Hats off to you too as I know you had the inside all dressed up and ready for show. Beautiful. I really like the chairs, lights, and lots of other things. Enjoy your new space.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 722

Mae - what a gorgeous place to chill! When are you accepting guests😉😉😉😉

• micmel

Goldens~ she's done her last chemo now on to scan to see if it had done anything. Last time it didn't.. she's tryingto battle blood issues as well. It's so stressful and worrying always about us both makes it hard to go through.

• micmel

Mae~ I love the vibe. Awesome job. I wouldn’t wNt to leave either. Well done.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,923

Amazing beach bar. Really creative

• mara51506

Mae, great beach bar, enjoy it.

Mel, still sending love from your pocket to you and your sister.

Sunshine, I pick up smaller quantities of groceries. My purse was replaced with a crossbody bag that sits flat against me over the left shoulder, I have another crossbody bag that holds extra bags or water. Not flat like the other and I can manage a small amount of groceries carried in my other hand.

• micmel

I just got a cross body bag. It really does help when you go places. Good Choice

Thanks for the good wishes. They mean a lot.

did you see Lisa Marie Presley died yesterday! Un real!!!!! aged 54

• livingivlife

Mae- love love the beach bar! Who would want to leave?

Sitting in pockets for Goldens, Mel, Sadie, SF cakes, Candy and everyone dealing with physical and emotional issues.

Has anyone "heard: from Elderberry?

• mara51506

I did see Lisa Marie Presley died yesterday. One of the entertainment reporting shows showed her at the Golden Globes and she did not seem like herself. Condolences to her family and friends.

I am present doing surveys for some Walmart gift cards since they will pay for delivery of groceries which is nice to do a couple times a month. Better than the actual instacart since there is no option to tip driver that comes and delivers. I won't need much though as I ordered a ridiculous amount of beans and the mr noodles which were only 27 cents. Planning to have beans, beefless ground, rice and cheese with some wheat bran, planning to look up making oatmeal so I can stretch my tubes of ground beef by combining the two together and boiling the beef to remove the most grease. Will have to make room in the fridge after so I can remove the fat that will be on top and put in a container later for garbage.

• mara51506

Oh, I am angry crying right now, I know this is minor on the list of what people are going through but need to vent. My appointments for Herceptin got all messed up because they rebooked everything. I had to call to get it all straightened out. I called today and it was busy. When I was getting the updated appointment times, the nurse was giving attitude because I was updating my phone calendar and she thought I was too slow, telling me that other people were waiting. I was frustrated and said that I was under pressure too with all the messups with the appointments. She basically refused to give me the next ones after. So what I get out of this is that it is OK for the triage people handling that to be short with patients and when a patient raises some objection. She was also like we prefer a pen and paper, I said I cannot write as fast as I can update, she blew me off. Just needed to vent here. Not bothering family with it and will wait til Monday to update my MRI which is at the wrong time of day as they require a nurse to get my vein. Thank you for listening. I plan to call next week and find out who I can leave feedback with. I empathize with dealing with busy lineups on the phone, dealt with that 10 years when I did call centre work but you never let the customer know they are holding you up. Your job is to help them and I waited just as long as other patients were waiting. They also don't know the mental state of who they are talking to as well. I will bring this up to my MO when I see her. It took a couple of hours for my crying to subside. It finally did.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 827

Awww big hugs Mara people can be so insensitive and impatient, I'm sorry it was a rough day. I agree I was in healthcare for years no matter how many patients were waiting I never let the patient I was working on sense that. She was just plain wrong and needs to work on controlling her emotions a little better. My motto always was it all gets done by the end of the day! I hope you have a better experience on your next call.

Hugs to all those who have been struggling with tests, hospitalizations and family members. Always in my prayers for strength and comfort for all who need it.

• sadiesservant

I’m home! They decided it was better to just book the stent removal as an outpatient rather than hold me to try to get it done while I was in hospital. I’m a bit sore but okay. The big thing now is trying to figure out clothing and placement with the big bags that collect the urine. I’m kind of a “pants” person which makes it a bit tricky

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,535

Sadieservant so happy you are home!!! You feel instantly a little better once you get HOME 🏡.

Mara that is a lousy attitude that receptionist had. Wow imagine how she treats senior citizens or someone challenged with cognitive issues. She should get a job at jail or somewhere where she can receive that attitude right back at her in spades!

Waving hello all.

Tany

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 299

Dear Pat

What they say is true - There's no place like home!

So glad you've returned to yours.

Hope you feel better.

Eleanora

• mara51506

Pat, I am so glad you are home. I have been looking at Amazon.ca and there are different options there. Once of the simplest things are dresses though I know it is cold but perhaps a pair of pants that hold the collection could be used, there are also bags you can use as well. If you did get pants, go a size up. Hope you find a good solution.

• livingivlife

Sadie- glad you are home. It's just a more comfortable place to be.

Mara- yes the receptionist was completely ignorant on your feelings but don't let other peoples negative attitudes play on your emotions. I would just hang up and say f.. y..

Today is a totally miserable day with pouring rain to turn to freezing rain this afternoon. We are invited to a neighbor's house for dinner so I hope we won't be slipping and sliding down the road.

• micmel

Sadie~ glad you’re home.

Mara~ I would like to have socked her in the nose. Example of wrong person in wrong job. People don’t stop to think what we are going through. Do they think we want to call them? Like we get all happy and excited to call our ONCOLOGIST???? They should be nice as pie. Idiots